Fresno PT8 #38
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Carman and Dylan pulled up to the camp in Tipton. There, people were waiting for the truck. It was the late evening now and the entire Spine was crowded around a podium, surrounding the leaders of the Spine.

“Murderers!” the Spine members shouted at the leaders. “They’ll kill us!” another member shouted.

“Everyone! Everyone! Listen up!” said Lucin, but her voice was drowned out by the angry mob.

BOOM

The crowd went silent. The officer of McFarland had shot a gun into the sky. “This is not up to discussion! You are welcome to stay and deal with that horde yourself,” said the officer.

Carmen and Dylan had gotten out of the truck and were listening. 

“What about a Trojan horse?” said Dylan from behind the crowd. His voice echoed throughout the area.

“What?” the officer replied. The crowd turned to look at Dylan. Carmen stepped aside.

“You know, like, get them from the inside,” said Dylan. He glanced around at all the eyes that were looking at him.

“No,” the officer said, shaking his head. He sighed and turned back to the crowd.

In the silence, an army of wanderers can be heard approaching. Their groans indicated a starving population of flesh eaters, and they were ravenous.

The crowd began to murmur. 

“We leave tonight!” said the officer.

The crowd murmured louder.

“Pack up! Let's go! That’s an order!” the officer commanded. He stepped off the podium and walked to one of the trucks. As he started loading the boxes, the rest of the Spine did the same. They scurried to get the camp packed up.

Carmen and Dylan, after seeing this happen, look at each other. 

“Can we leave?” Carmen asked.

Dylan shook his head, “I can’t. It would be safer to stay with them.”

“But what if they kill us once we get to Fresno?” asked Carmen. She shook her head and stepped closer as the sound of the scurry grew louder.

“I’ll die here if I stay, and I can't survive on my own like this,” Dylan answered.

“Then I’m staying too,” said Carmen.

Dylan opened his mouth to speak but couldn't find the words. He nodded lightly and gave Carmen a nervous look. The dying sun lit the sky a bright scarlet from where the horde was approaching.

“Go get ready,” said Dylan and the two split ways to pack up.

Carmen rushed to her and Genesis’s room. The tent was already being taken down, but Genesis’s and Carmen’s spare clothes had been left on one of the boxes. Genesis was not in sight. Carmen glanced around to find no trace of her or Mordecai for that matter. She grabbed the clothes but felt something solid within them. 

She unfolded one of the shirts to find a piece of paper inside. On it was a note with very poor handwriting, “Good luck,” it said.

Carmen collected the items and took an empty bag that she found. 

“Leaving in 5!” said one of the officers. Their voice blasted like a boom box. Trucks began to drive off. Carmen found an empty seat in one and took it. She didn't know anyone inside, but it was no one’s concern. They drove off, leaving an empty lot behind with scraps of paper and clothes along the road.

The driver’s hands were shaking as he drove, and he began to sweat. His passenger spoke up, “You okay?”

“This is a death sentence,” the driver answered.

“Why can't you drive off? They can't catch us.” said another passenger.

“You know somewhere safer?” the driver responded.

As they continued driving up the freeway, Carmen spotted David’s house just off the road. It seemed empty, like no one was inside. One of the sheds in the yard was opened, but nothing was inside. No trace of Lila either. 

After night fell upon Fresno, Hugo listened for the noise to stop. Slowly, the slaves stopped working, and their noises died down.

Hugo slid the file against the base of one of the bars on the egress shlink.

Shlink Shlink

He stopped and listened. Nothing came from the night.

Continuing onward, shlink shlink shlink SHLONK.

The file slipped and banged against the bars. Hugo retreated from the egress, anticipating footsteps outside his door, but no one came.

He continued.

Shlink shlink shlink cunk

The bar snapped off at one end and jolted forward slightly from the tension. Hugo grabbed the bar and pushed it. It barely budged, his muscles were too sore. He wedged the screwdriver against the connected end of the bar to the window and pushed. It moved upwards, just enough for Hugo’s body to fit through. 

He stuck out his head and saw the egress was only an inch off the ground, facing an alleyway. There were no tells if it was within the borders of Master’s land.

Hugo crawled through, barely fitting his body. He flopped onto the ground catching his breath, facing upwards. In the alleyway, between the two buildings, the stars were clearly visible, more than they ever were in Los Angeles.

“Roooah,” said a wanderer softly. It shuffled into the alley to the sound of Hugo flopping to the ground. Hugo lifted his head and saw the silhouette of a wanderer in the moonlight.

Jumping to his feet, he took the screwdriver from the ground. He stepped softly to the wanderer. It reached out to him.

“Ahhgh-” it groaned. 

Hugo stabbed it in the forehead with the screwdriver and twisted it to the wall. It tripped, stumbling forward and SPLAT into the wall. He stepped over the body, took the screwdriver and pressed himself against the wall of the building he was in. Leaning closer to the corner of the building, he glanced out into the road. To the left was the wall to Master’s territory, with spikes facing the outside and few wanderers. Looking the opposite direction, the road led into the rest of Fresno, with wanderers every few yards.

Hugo stepped into the open, unnoticed by the wanderers. He jerked his head around, looking at the tops of the buildings.

“Where is it? Where is it?” he said under his breath. His eyes were the widest they've been in days. Walking away from the wall, he stabbed the screwdriver into the eye of another wanderer and then glanced around at his surroundings. More rooftops were visible for him but not the one he was looking for. He walked further, stabbed another wanderer, and glanced around.

He repeated the process until finally something was visible on one of the rooftops. It was the shack with the radio. Seeing the shack, he ran towards the building. The rooftop went out of view, but he kept going. Dashing through the streets, he came up to the alleyway beside the building with the shack. There was one ladder built into the wall that led to an open window. He climbed up, seeing just above the roof of the adjacent building. The Fresno skyline was shorter and flatter than LA. He probably would've liked living here more than LA.

Crawling into the window, he entered what seemed to be another apartment. The air was still like no one had been there for a while. 

He took light steps, listening for anything. It was almost pitch black on the opposite side of the room. He opened the door, stepping into the clean hallway. The carpet had a traditional zig zag pattern common in hotels. 

Clenching the screwdriver, he continued down the hallway, where the buttons to the elevator were lit up. It was the only light source in the building. He walked in a straight line, as quiet as possible. Gently he pressed the up button.

DING went the elevator.

The doors opened and the light was on inside. He walked in and felt a shiver go down his spine as he left the pitch black.

Up to the rooftop he went. The elevator hummed, and the lights buzzed. 

All he had was the screwdriver still in his hand. He thought of the wanderers he stabbed while searching for the building. All in the head, then dropping down like a pile of meat. He imagined Master doing the same.

DING went the elevator.

The doors opened to a quiet rooftop. In the distance lights grew along highway 99. There were multiple.

“No,” Hugo said under his breath. He ran out of the elevator and looked over to the shack. The door was wide open, but nothing was inside. “What?” Hugo said.

Master approached from behind, “I guess you could say-”

Hugo swung the screwdriver around at Master’s face, but Master was faster. His hand jolted out, knocking the screwdriver out of Hugo’s hand. It flew into the night sky.

“No!” Hugo said as it happened. Another fist came for his chest. It sounded almost like a gunshot on impact. BOOM. Hugo toppled backwards gasping for air.

“It wasn't going to be that easy,” said Master. He took a flare gun from his pants pocket and pointed it upwards. “Make sure they know where to go.” 

The flare lit up Fresno like a red sun.

“No-” Hugo said, still trying to catch his breath.

Master grabbed Hugo firmly by the shoulder and tossed him closer to the ledge of the rooftop. “I want you to watch.” He pushed Hugo’s head over the edge. Down below, all the slaves were gathered around with the cages and tools, waiting for the arrivals. “Every. Single. One of them…” said Master. He knelt down to the left of Hugo and pressed Hugo’s neck onto the edge of the building. “I’ll either kill, or drug, Every. Single. One of them.” Hugo could hear the smile in Master’s voice.

“Nooo!” Hugo said, barely catching a breath. He tried turning over, but Master started to push Hugo forward. His hand was at Hugo’s neck. Hugo tried to kick and push Master away, but he was too weak.

“Don't fight it, Hugo! This will only make their fates worse!” said Master. He tilted his head as Hugo continued resisting. “Think of the children,” Master added, squinting as if he cared.

Hugo swung his arms opposite of Master, forcing Master to lean forward. He lost balance and Hugo elbowed him with the force of his entire torso.

THUNK went Hugo’s elbow to Master’s head.

Master was knocked away and Hugo got up, his breath coming back to normal. As Master stood up, blood dripped from the right side of his face. His eye practically blinded. Hugo raised his fists even though his movements were slow, and his size couldn't compare to Master.

Master stood up and began walking to Hugo. He cracked his fingers crcrcrcr crcrcrcr, then wrists crick crick, then arms crick crack, he twisted his torso crrrraaaa, and neck crk crk. He shook it off, raising his fists and bouncing like a boxer.

“You wanna tussle? Come on bro lets tussle!” Master said. He stepped to Hugo, throwing the first punch and intentionally missed. “Oh yeah? Scared? Huh?” Another fake-out punch then a quick swing to Hugo’s ribs. “Not looking so hot now, are you?” Master said again while bouncing on his feet. 

The lights from the highway lit up the building, Hugo’s and Master’s shadows casted on the elevator shaft walls. 

“You better hope they don't turn around after this!” said Master.

Hugo’s hands were still up, but he was wobbling like a bobble head. His mouth was hanging like dead weight.

“Throw a punch! Come on!” said Master.

Hugo took his eyes off Master and glanced between the shadows and the lights.

“Hey, you see that?” said the driver of the truck. The other passengers looked at the lit up building and began to murmur.

Carmen snapped out of the staring blankly out of the window, and leaned towards the windshield, looking at the commotion on the rooftop.

“What is that?” said a passenger.

“Are they fighting?” said the driver.

The two shadows on the top of the tallest building in the city were moving around. The taller, bigger and more energetic one kept throwing fake punches, provoking the second shadow.

“I think that’s-” said Carmen.

The smaller shadow began to wave, making an x with his arms big enough for the people in the trucks to see.

“What’s he doing?” said the driver.

“Telling us to turn around,” said Carmen, eyeing the shadow.

“Wait, what?” said Master. “Stop!” He moved his head between Hugo, the x and the highway. “STOP!” Master screamed. He stepped forward and swept Hugo’s left leg. Hugo fell swiftly to his feet with a THWOP.

“OH!” said everyone in the truck as the shadow collapsed.

Carmen’s jaw dropped. She jumped as she saw it go down. “No!” she yelped. Everyone in the truck looked at her, concerned.

“You okay?” said a passenger.

“Yeah, I just… That’s Hugo,” Carmen confessed.

“Who’s Hugo?” said the driver.

Carmen shook her head. “Nevermind,” she said. “You know what, drop me here.”

“What?” said the Driver. “No I’m not-”

“I said drop me here!” she screamed. The driver hit the breaks and came to a complete stop.

Carmen jumped out of the car and watched as the caravan left her behind, in the dark.

Hugo couldn't see straight, his head was numb.

“Dammit!” Master said. He turned his back to Hugo, pacing around in frustration. He turned again towards Hugo, “If these people turn around I will personally cut off pieces of you and make you watch as I cook and eat you.”

“Why don't you just kill me?” Hugo said. He couldn't even hear himself.

“You know what?” Master said. “Where’s the other one?!” he screamed. He stepped closer to the edge, leaning over his army of slaves and henchmen. “Bring me Jacob!” He screamed. “Bring him to me! Now!” Master’s voice echoed throughout Fresno.

Carmen shuttered hearing Master’s voice as it echoed through the streets. She continued running towards the building Hugo was on. Going through the streets, the wanderers all seemed distracted by noise. They paid no attention to Carmen even as she bumped into some. She had no weapons or plan, but ran to Hugo.

Turning one last corner, she noticed another shadow in a distant alleyway.

“Hello?” she called. Nothing.

—-

Master turned back to Hugo, pointing like a disappointed mother, “I am tired of this worthless talk,” he said.

Charlie arrived in the elevator holding Jacob by the collar of his shirt. He was tired and frail.

“Hugo!” he shouted.

Master smacked Jacob out of Charlie’s grasp. He fell to the ground, but his eyes were on Hugo.

Hugo was still on the ground, looking upwards. He faintly heard Jacob’s call, but he didn't move in reaction to it.

“Hugo?” said Jacob, losing hope.

Master pulled Hugo by the hair, sitting him upwards. A bloody stain was left where Hugo’s head was. “See that!” Master yelled. “It’s your friend!” He pointed at Jacob who was on his hands and knees. Hugo had no reaction.

The caravan of trucks had just started to pull up to the walls of the base.

HONK HONK they went.

“Let them in!” said Master. He struggled to get a grasp of Hugo’s bloody hair. “Your friend is about to die!” said Master in Hugo’s face. He waited. Sweat dripped from his forehead onto Hugo’s face. “Answer me!”

Jacob looked at Master with disgust.

The gates to the base opened, and the trucks came driving in. There was a moment of hesitation.

“You don't get to die! Not before I’m done with you!” Master screamed. A furious scowl grew on his face. He pulled a pistol from his back pocket and took Hugo’s wrist. “Kill your friend! Now!”

Master put the gun to Hugo’s hand, but he didn't grasp it. Hugo’s eyes started seeming lifeless.

“Pull the trigger!” Master screamed. He grabbed Hugo’s chin and shook his head. Hugo’s eyes started to blink. He felt the gun in his hand and pulled the trigger.

BANG

Master looked and saw Charlie collapse beside Jacob.

“No!” Master snatched the gun, stepped forward and pointed it to Jacob.

Hugo slipped his foot before Master’s and he tripped.

THWOMP went Master as he hit the floor. The gun fell from his grasp and landed right at Jacob. Jacob took the gun and aimed at Master.

BANG 

Jacob missed, and the recoil sent the gun flying out of his hands and over the ledge of the rooftop.

Carmen pursued the shadow in the alleyway. Turning the corner, she found Mordecai and Genesis running up to under where Hugo and Master were.

“Hey!” she said loudly but softly.

Mordecai turned to Carmen; he was not wearing any bandages, but it was too dark to see details.

“What do you want?” said Carmen. 

“Didn't want to miss the show,” said Mordecai, jokingly.

“I thought you were in the mountains,” said Carmen, glancing at Genesis.

“Change of plans,” Genesis answered. She motioned her hands beside her to where Carmen couldn't see and pushed Lila into view. 

Carmen stomped her foot, “Why is Lila here?!”

BANG came from the rooftop. They all looked up and waited for a second, a gun dropped a few feet away from Genesis.

—-

Master, Jacob and Hugo watched as the gun flew over the ledge.

“NO!” Master shrieked. He shook his head and walked to the ledge that overlooked the working area. “Gun 'em all down! All of them!” he shouted. His arms flailed as he spoke, his spit rained down on those directly under him.

Immediately gunfire started, the trucks were lit up. 

From behind, Hugo ran up and pushed Master over the edge, no one noticed over the sound of active gunfire.

Though Hugo couldn't catch himself and started to fall too, Jacob caught him and pulled him back over the edge. The two rested, breathless.

The gunfire began to ring in Hugo’s ears. He looked over the ledge to see if Master had died, but his body was missing. The cars in the front of the caravan were shot to bits, the rest of the spine had either driven off or started fighting back.

BOOM

One of the sewer lids flew twenty feet in the air from an explosion underneath, and from the hole a man with huge metal armor climbed out. On one arm was a flame thrower and another was a machine gun. He started to gun down everyone in sight but the Spine.

“Hugo!” said Jacob. 

Hugo looked over, seeing Jacob looking over a separate edge of the building. “It’s them!” said Jacob.

Hugo crawled over, seeing Carmen, Mordecai, Genesis and Lila under them, waving at Hugo.

“Are they…telling us to jump?” said Jacob, confused. He looked to Hugo, who upon being signaled to jump, let himself go over the ledge. He closed his eyes and began a freefall.

“Hugo!” they all shouted.

0