Yosemite Valley Pt3 #45
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What plan?” said Jacob.

Hugo opened his mouth but hesitated. His eyes darted between Carmen, Jacob and Chris. “We’re gonna take the valley,” said Hugo, grimly.

The others glanced between each other unsurely.

“H- how?” said Chris.

“Just, trust me,” said Hugo. He turned around and kneeled beside the dead sheriff. “Where is it?” he whispered, feeling through the sheriff’s pockets. Hooked on the sheriff’s belt was a ring of keys, one of which was a button from a car. Hugo clicked it and a nearby sheriff’s car went off. “There,” Hugo said, pointing to the car. He stood up but his eye got caught on the dead sheriff’s gun. Hugo pondered. Turning around it was only Lila and Chris without guns. 

“Don't shoot this without my permission,” Hugo said to Lila as he handed the gun to her.

The others watched. Chris gave Carmen a side eye, she was unsurprised.

“Come on, we’re taking the car,” said Hugo. He brought everyone to the car. Hugo opened the back door for the others. Hugo sat in the front when he looked back to see only Lila in the back. Everyone else was still outside looking at the car.

“Well?” Hugo said. 

Carmen turned her head to Jacob and Chris, giving them a cold look. She walked and sat in the passenger seat. With a quiet sigh, Jacob and Chris sat in the back with Lila.

Hugo drove off. He rammed the gates which were so flimsy the car barely moved. Hugo drove from Oakhurst up to where the road met the fires.

At the fires, Hugo stopped the car. 

“So what next?” said Carmen.

“We go to the tunnel,” said Hugo. He turned off the car and got out, followed by everyone else. “This way,” Hugo said. He led the group leftwards off the road, around the fire. “When we find the entrance to the tunnel, we’ll squeeze through and sneak our way down to the valley.

The crackling of the fire was the only noise that could be heard. The mountain started to get steeper, to the point where not paying attention could cause you to slip and fall. Hugo held Lila’s hand, helping her safely continue. 

Up above the mountain, a burning tree began to CRACK. It echoed throughout the area and it snapped in half. The log tumbled down the mountain, slamming into trees and breaking into smaller pieces. Ash rained down on the group and the larger pieces rolled by. It was practically dust and splinters by the time it hit the bottom.

Through the trees they could see the midday sun light up the surrounding mountains and hills. The wall of fire spread into the horizon.

The mountain started to level off slightly, and the group came upon the road again. On one end it came out of the fire, and the other end continued around the mountain.

“I think this is it,” said Chris.

They followed the road around the mountain, and arrived at the mouth of the tunnel. It was entirely blocked off by wood and stone.

“It’s blocked?” said Jacob.

“Yes, but when I was here there was a little hole,” Hugo said. He climbed up the barricade, looking for the way in, but when he looked there was no hole. The stone completely filled the entrance all the way to the top.

“No! I saw it! I know I did!” said Hugo.

“Did they see you go into the tunnel?” Chris asked.

Hugo climbed down from the barricade. “Maybe.”

“Yeah, then this was them,” Chris answered. He put his hands on his side and nodded to himself.

Anger started to show on Hugo’s face. He looked around, searching for a path through the fire, but nothing, except for the slope down the mountain. He walked to the edge of the road and looked over. He could barely see the bottom but from what he could make out, there was a river.

“There,” said Hugo, nodding his head at it. The others lined up beside him and looked too. “There’s water, so there’s still a way in,” he said. He began taking careful steps down the mountain, while still holding Lila’s hand. The group followed too.

The mountain slope became a straight drop and Hugo could see the river behind some trees.

“We’ll go around,” said Hugo. He led them along the ledge away from the fires. Slowly, they got closer to the ground until finally they were at the bottom. At the river, Hugo touched the water, enjoying the cold flow of the stream.

“Why is it small?” said Chris. He was standing on a rock examining the stream. 

“What do you mean?” said Hugo.

“This is the Merced river,” Chris answered. “It goes through the valley, but a lot of water flows through the valley so it's weird how little there is in this part,” said Chris.

Jacob kneeled down beside the water and cupped some in his hands. 

As Jacob did this, Hugo noticed movement further down the river. It was a young couple sitting alone. They seemed unaware of the group. Hugo watched them. The woman drank from the river and made a disgusted face, spitting out the water.

Hugo watched as Jacob took a sip. He did the same and spit it out. Hugo cupped some water to examine it and found bits of ash floating within.

“There’s ash,” said Hugo.

“Yeah,” said Jacob. He got up and stepped away from the river.

Hugo looked over at the couple and they were running into the forest. The woman looked back, making eye contact with Hugo and continued running.

Hugo stood up and watched the couple disappear into the forest. It was then when he realized it was the evening. “Come on, it’ll be dark soon.”

He led the group up the river and came up to where the river met the fires. There was practically a dam of burnt logs and ash that stood about twenty feet above the ground. Water leaked through the cracks forming the river they were following.

“That’s where all the water is,” said Chris.

“So if that breaks, we all get swept away,” said Jacob.

Lila held Hugo’s hand and stayed close to him. Hugo looked to the sides of the dam, looking for a way to climb over. He felt the right side had more potential so he began to climb. Feeling the wood and stone, he made his way to the top. Lila followed in his steps hand he pulled her up once he could reach, but Lila’s foot kicked a log, and water began to pour, and the stream was growing.

“Hurry!” Hugo said. Jacob rushed to climb up, the cold water poured over his hands and feet. He almost slipped but Hugo took his arm and pulled him up.

The power of the leak grew. Chris was second to climb, and the water splashed against his clothes. He shivered with the cold but Hugo was able to pull him over the dam.

Carmen was last and the water began to burst out of the dam like a waterfall. Carmen tried to hold onto a rock as she was swept off her feet by the water. Hugo grabbed Carmen’s wrist and held on. Her arms were skinny, and her grip was weak.

“Come on!” Hugo said. Carmen reached forward, putting both hands to grab onto Hugo’s arm. Chris and Jacob put their hands on Hugo and pulled the two onto land. Carmen’s stomach dragged on the stone and when she got on land, she flipped over, revealing her shirt had been torn. Her exposed stomach had a wide scratch that started to bleed in some spots.

“Ah! Ow!” Carmen said, clenching her teeth. 

Jacob kneeled over her, examining the wound. “Oh, man,” he said, in worry. 

Chris and Hugo looked too. Not only was she injured, but seemed malnourished.

Jacob shot up to his feet. He turned around to Hugo. With a pause he licked his lips, taking in a breath. “You know what? Why cant we just go somewhere else? Why do we specifically have to be doing this? Why do I have to listen to you?”

Hugo watched Jacob coldly as he went on.

“You’ve been bossin’ us around since Driver died, not even considering that maybe, we just want to survive,” said Jacob.

Carmen was still on the ground. She was shivering as her clothes were soaking wet, “Jacob stop,” she said with a weak voice.

“Nah,” Jacob said to Carmen. He continued with Hugo, “Look, now Carmen’s hurt and you expect her to get up. Dude do you even know what happened at Six Flags?”

“What happened at Six Flags?” Chris asked.

Jacob and Hugo paused and looked at Chris.

“Guess,” said Chris. Hugo glanced at Carmen, realizing the implication. Jacob continued, “And that one girl too. Oh yeah and where’s her baby? Who cares now!” Jacob raised his hands in the air, “She’s not Lila!”

“If you want to go, go,” Hugo said.

Jacob took a breath, and rage visibly grew on his face, “Get off your damn high horse or I’m gonna-” Jacob threw a fist at Hugo’s face.

BAM

Jacob missed the punch. He stumbled back and looked down at his chest, where a bullet had just entered. He looked up at Hugo in the eye who had a cold, unmoved gaze. Jacob looked at Lila who was behind Hugo, she had the exact same look as she lowered her gun. It was harrowing.

Jacob fell to the ground, and remained motionless.

Hugo kneeled over Jacob and felt his pulse. Feeling nothing, he picked up the body and threw it in the river.

“Good job,” Hugo said to Lila. He walked to Carmen and held out his hand. She took hold and Hugo pulled her to her feet. She seemed fine, but the wound seemed to sting. Hugo felt how wet and cold she was.

“We’ll find you some clothes. Hold tight,” he said. He looked at Chris, “Come on. Take me to the village. We should go before the ones in camouflage find us.”

“Th-this w-way,” Chris answered. He pointed up the river. Hugo noticed Chris’s shaky stature and understood he was afraid. Chris faced forward and started walking through the forest. The others followed.

Hugo and Carmen walked together, Hugo made sure Carmen kept up, worried for her health.

“I’m sorry about that,” said Hugo to Carmen.

“It was gonna happen at some point,” Carmen answered.

“No, I mean about Six Flags,” said Hugo.

“Oh, yeah,” Carmen answered. “Okay.”

Hugo took an extra long breath, and they went silent. Hugo wanted to continue talking but did not feel comfortable with Chris and Lila there.

“Alright,” Hugo spoke up. “When we get there, be silent. Don't get seen. “Chris, do you know anyone who would know where your leader’s home is?”

“W-well, there’s only one leader. She’s a judge?” Chris said.

“Then I met her,” Hugo answered.

“Okay,” Chris nodded, “It’s just her. I’m pretty sure she makes people her house, s-so one security guard is all we need, to find it,” Chris said.

“Then get me a security guard,” said Hugo.

Chris led the group to the outskirts of the village and they watched from the bushes as the townsfolk began to wind down beside campfires with their families. They spotted a wandering person along the road, as they drew closer they could see that this person was meant for keeping watch.

Carmen and Lila hid behind a tree and waited.

Hugo tapped Chris on his side, and motioned to the watchperson. Chris crept back away from the road. Once several yards back, he picked up a stick and threw it against a nearby tree.

Crackle crackle

The person turned their head, examining the bushes. Hugo kept completely still with a hand on his gun. He couldn't tell if the person had a gun or a knife. He waved his other hand behind him to Chris.

The person continued to look, but did not take a step closer. Hugo stayed still, but continued waving his hand at Chris to make another noise.

The person continued walking, thinking nothing other than the noise.

Hugo turned around, upset at Chris, but saw Chris was at knife-point and surrounded by five camouflaged men. Each of them carried machetes or spears but there were no visible guns.

“Get over here,” one of the men whispered softly.

Hugo stood up with his hands up and stepped carefully toward them.

“Looks like you did your job,” whispered a different man.

“Time for judgment,” said another.

“If I don't go?” said Hugo, calmly.

“We’ll kill you right he-”

BAM

Hugo shot the one holding Chris at knife point in the head. The others tried to swing their weapons but 

BAM BAM BAM 

Hugo, Carmen and Lila killed three more. Sounds of fear came from the village.

Carmen and Lila aimed for the last man but Hugo shouted “NO!” with a rough throat. Carmen and Lila backed off. “Guys run!” Hugo motioned them away from the river, Carmen, Lila and Chris ran. “Run with me or get shot,” Hugo said to the last camouflaged man while pointing his gun between his legs.

They both took off running and disappeared before anyone saw them. At the river, they took a moment to breathe.

“Chris, what are they gonna do now?” Hugo asked. The gun was still pointed at the camouflaged man.

“Everyone knows something is up, they’re gonna start coming this way,” said Chris.

“You,” Hugo said to the camouflaged man. “The judge’s home, now.”

“Kill me,” whispered the person to Hugo.

“Carmen, aim your gun,” said Hugo. Carmen aimed at the man. 

Hugo tackled the man and pinned him to the ground.

“Get off me man!” the man said.

Hugo grabbed the man’s right hand and sunk his teeth into his index finger.

KR KR KR

“AH!” the man screamed.

Hugo let go and spit out the finger.

“Tell me,” Hugo said in a way that seemed like a bear’s growl. He loomed over the man.

“That way! Just follow the road!” the man screamed. He pointed up the river, but it looked as if he made a fist as his finger was gone.

Blood dripped from Hugo’s mouth. He turned to Carmen and nodded.

BAM

Carmen shot the man dead.

“Run!” Hugo commanded. He picked up Lila and the group followed the river. Lila heard Hugo’s breath and thought of a rabid dog.

The judge sat in her recliner, reading a book in the living room of her home. Her wood stove crackled, filling the home with a nice, warm aroma. It was placed by the entrance to the living room against the wall, where it was roughly in the center of the house.

A walkie-talkie sat on a coffee table under the window that allowed her to view the front of the house. There was a dirt patch that surrounded the house, and a single dirt road led through the forest and to the village. 

The orange horizon peaked through the smoke clouds of the mountains and filled the room by the light of the wood stove.

She had gotten used to the crackling of the stove. Whenever she read her books, the sound of burning wood would be the white noise that played as her imagination brought life to the page.

She turned the page of her book, but something was off. Her slight smile, from the enjoyment of the peace and quiet, dimmed. The muscles in her face calmed. She looked to the window. It was dark and there was nothing. Shaking her head, she looked down to her book but her heart pounded.

BABOOM

She jerked her head up with a gasp to see a man standing before her with dried blood around his mouth and chin. He breathed heavily and glared into her, like he could see the terror growing with each passing second.

She recognized his face, but it was not close to what she thought he was capable of.

“Nice place” he said. He had not blinked yet. His eyes glowed with the red glow of the now-dying wood stove. The crackling had started to quiet down, and the sound of his breath became more audible. “Do you remember me?”

She nodded with a shiver.

Behind him, the walkie-talkie clicked.

“Judge Janice? Emergency. Lock your doors, we are on the way. Do you read?” said a woman on the other side.

The man picked up the walkie talkie and handed it to Janice.

“Tell them to bring everything they got,” the man said.

Janice spoke into the walkie-talkie, “Bring everything we have,” she said.

“Now, call the one who calls himself Master,” he said.

Janice’s hands were shivering. She slowly adjusted the nobs, then looked up at the man. He stretched out his hand and Jancie handed over the device. He clicked the button and held it.

“Hello?” he said.

He waited, and continued to stare at Janice. She stared back, with her hands on the recliner’s arm rests. She tried to remain calm, but the man could see it in her eyes.

The walkie-talkie clicked, “Hello?” said a voice. It was Master.

The man spoke into the walkie-talkie once more. “I’m in Yosemite Valley, come find me.” He flipped over the walkie talkie, took out the batteries and threw them and the walkie talkie into the stove.

“What do you want from me?” Janice said.

“Stay there,” the man said. He walked through the living room entrance into the dinning and kitchen area. 

Janice could hear the turning of a knob and a ticking of a stovetop. She glanced over to the wood stove and realized what was bound to happen. Janice usually kept a knife under her recliner, in case of emergencies, so she reached over and took it. Creeping out of her chair, she pressed against the wall and peaked around the corner. Seeing nothing, she peaked further out but still saw nothing.

In the space between the dining room and the living room, was a staircase to her basement. At the bottom of the staircase the man was standing there, looking up at Janice.

“Go go go!” said a commanding officer.

Tabby, a young security guard-in-training, suited up after Judge Janice had just ordered all forces be brought to her home. The night was already stressful for Tabby because earlier she was just several feet from a shoot out in the woods, and now people are dead because she didn't inspect further. She took her gear belt from her lock, as others started to get into their ranks.

The army was not large in particular. Most of them were normal people before the outbreak, now they are just trying to defend their safe haven. A lot of them were worried this day would come.

Tabby ran out and got in line. Outside, there were about 50 people lined up. 30 carried blunt weapons, 15 carried bladed weapons, and 5 carried guns. 12 of the 50 were trained in some form of combat style or military. Tabby had a blunt weapon and no experience before the outbreak.

One of the commanding officers stood on top of a wagon carried by a single horse. “We don't have much time! Move out to Judge Janice’s home now!” The commanding officer started the horse. On the road he led the troops from the Yosemite Valley Police station, through the streets of Yosemite Valley and onto the dirt road leading to Janice’s house.

Tabby was out of breath along with everyone else, but this is the moment they’ve all trained for.

The house looked normal. It had two stories with a garage. It had a front porch, and the window that viewed the dirt road had no light inside. On the second floor there were two windows that faced the front. One of them was open.

“It’s too quiet,” the commanding officer whispered. “He motioned the troops to surround the house, and once they surrounded it, the officer called out again.

“Whoever’s in there, we have the house surrounded!” the commanding officer announced. “Come out and we can do this peacefully!”

From the open window on the second floor, Janice screamed with such terror it shocked the 50 people. 

”HELP!” was the only word they could make out.

After a second, the commanding officer motioned his hands to the house in a way to signify urgency. The troops closed in, breaking down the front and back doors, flooding into the house. Tabby ran in with the troops. She had a baton in hand and followed the flow of people. First into the living room, then the dining room, some went into the basement and others went upstairs.

Tabby went to the basement, thinking to find something maybe they haven't considered. She got down there with about six other people and immediately she felt a strong smell. They discovered several tanks of methane with stovetops advertised on top. It clicked with Tabby that the smell was methane leaking from the tanks.

“Get out!” she said as she ran out of the house. The others didn't hear her over the sound of their own rumblings.

Tabby joined the commanding officer and they watched as a relatively young man stepped onto the roof of the porch from the open window.

“Young man get down!” the officer commanded.

The young man covered his ears.

BOOM

The home lit up with a burst of flames. The windows shattered and shards of glass embedded themselves into the surrounding trees. 

“Agh!” Tabby yelled as a piece of glass cut her leg.

The commanding officer covered his face, and the glass cut him around the arm. The horse carrying the wagon burst into a run, throwing the commanding officer to the ground along with loose supplies and weapons.

The screams of 49 troops filled the valley as they were engulfed and burned alive by flames. The patio roof that the man stood on was made of clay tiles, so the fire did not reach him.

Carmen, Lila and Chris watched the explosion from several yards back in the forest, but the screams were just as loud.

Chris’s jaw dropped at the sight. Their eyes were filled with the yellow glow of the fire. Chris stepped back, then took another, as he was about to take a third, Lila looked back at him. They traded a glance and Lila looked back at the fire. Chris ran away, and the screams drowned out his steps.

The man put his legs over the patio roof and slid off, landing on the ground with his two feet. His figure was outlined by the burning house behind him. He took his gun from his pocket and BANG at the commanding officer. The officer fell and died.

He pointed the gun at Tabby and she fell to her knees.

“No, please!” she begged.

“Go to the village, tell them you have a new leader. I’m not here to kill or enslave everyone, but someone much worse than me is coming, so do not try me,” he said. “And my name is Hugo.”

Tabby slowly looked up from the ground to Hugo, who was looking over her coldly. She took a step to get up and backed away onto the dirt road. When she got behind a tree Hugo could see her running in the direction of the village.

Hugo looked down at the dead officer and observed the loose supplies and weapons that surrounded the body. Among the pile was Mordecai’s knife. He took it and clenched it in his hand.

0