Finale Pt 1 #48
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lila sat in the hotel room and looked out the window, waiting for someone to come back. The trees were still. Nothing moved between them. 

It took a while for someone to come back but eventually the doorknob started to turn.

Creeeek

The light behind the door flooded into the room, almost blinding Lila. The other captives looked away and hid their eyes, some were chained to the wall. They were frail and weak. 

The shadow of some junkie casted over Lila and he started to walk to her. The wooden floorboards creaked as he walked forward with his heavy boots.

Strains of hair fell over Lila’s eyes and her breath became louder. 

The man stopped in front of Lila. He reached out his hand and curled Lila’s hair around his fist.

“Yeah,” he said to himself with a smile, though against the wall beside Lila he noticed a mutilated rat corpse.

Lila swung her arm to the man’s thigh. The metal cuffs around her wrists flung open.

The junkie looked down to see a sharpened bone deep within his thigh. Lila pulled him to the ground and before the junkie could react she felt his pockets, finding a gun and a pocket knife. With the knife she cut open the junkie’s neck and blood started to pool in his throat. As he slowly died, Lila stood up. She glanced across the room. The other captives were against the wall as far as they could get from Lila. 

With the gun and knife in her hand she walked out of the room into the light and shut the door behind her.

The room became pitch black again, and the captives listened to the noises outside.

POP POP…POP POP

Muffled “Ahh!’s” and “Grahh!’s” came from the walls.

POP

A bullet flew through the wall above the captives head. Light came through the hole, but no one dared to stand up.

The dead corpse started to reanimate, slowly moving its limbs and lifting itself up. The captives trembled in fear.

The door flung open with a BANG. Lila had licked it down. She was wearing her normal clothes instead of the rags she had before. Her pant’s were baggy and had plenty of pockets to carry stuff. Her top was plated with leather and bulky underneath with what seemed to be bullet-proof padding. At first glance it looked like she could take on anything.

The corpse was on two feet now and was shuffling to Lila. She grabbed it’s head and pulled to the door. It stumbled all the way out and fell to the dirt outside.

She dug in her pocket and took out a key. One by one she set free every captive in the room. Once they were free they ran out of the room.

After the last one was set free, Lila left the room into the open. They were in a small settlement on the outskirts north of the city once known as Las Vegas. The sky had no clouds and it was evening. Heat waves rose from the surrounding sands of the desert.

With her thick army boot, Lila stomped on the junkie’s head, leaving a stain on the sand. The other corpses began to reanimate so Lila walked to the gates of the settlement and closed them behind her. It was surrounded by a scrappy wall that would last long enough for Lila to safely walk away. Beside the gate she had hung her backpack. It was bloody on one side, but it looked worse.

She put on the backpack and began walking north-west. The backpack had all of her basic survival gear. A sleeping bag, a map, compass, batteries, a small radio, a walkie-talkie and other miscellaneous items. She slept in makeshift shelters of brush and trees over the next few days. The weather was mostly nice and sunny with the occasional heat-wave. She caught any wild critters she would come across and cooked them over a small fire.

Each night, she tinkered with the radio looking for any possible signals.

One day as Lila was walking through the desert, she was messing with the radio. “Hello?” said a voice from the speaker. “I need help,” they said.

Lila listened as she walked.

“I’m trapped in Tonopah High School,” they said. 

Lila stopped. She was just passing Tonopah, but the detour would cost her time. She continued walking.

“He-” the voice cut off as Lila walked further away from the source.

A couple days later, Lila began walking up the mountains of California. She visited a place called Lee Vining; a small community that existed before the outbreak. Before, it was just a town resting beside the nearby Mono Lake. Now, they have built up a town on Paoba Island which is at the center of the Lake.

The community knew Lila, and they sent out a boat to fetch her on the shore.

“Hey Lila! How’s the trek this time?” said Bucky the boat rower. He was an old and mostly toothless man, but he always had a smile on his face. He spoke like a hillbilly but it made Lila pleasantly smile.

“Same as usual,” Lila answered. “More junkie’s and raiders.”

“And how’s Cashington?” Bucky asked.

“No, it’s New Wynnencore now. Some gang took over and they use the Wynn and Encore Casino as their main base, so they started calling themselves that.”

“Tah! What about your crew?” said Bucky.

“Oh, they’re fine. They're forming a coup so I think it’ll be back to Cashington soon, but Wynnencore doesn't sound that bad as a name.”

The boat hit the island and the two walked off.

Bucky tied the boat to its reserved peg beside some other boats.

“Hey Lila!” the community said. The island was so small that Lila could spot almost everyone from where she stood. Most of the inhabitants were older. A seven year old boy was the youngest but everyone pitched in to help. The buildings were built in a circle around the center of the island, where there was a firepit and a collection of chairs and stools.

“Hi guys!” Lila waved. She walked over to the inn. It was a small building for an inn, but it was capable of housing everyone and then some. “Hi Trishy,” Lila said walking up to the front desk.

“Hi Lila,” said Trishy with a smile. She was an older woman but had a bright smile. “Oh you look tired. Let me get your key,” she said, reaching under the counter.

“Thank you Trishy,” said Lila.

“Are you heading up to Bridgeport this time?” Trishy asked. She put a box on the desk and opened it.

“No, not this time. I’m supposed to head back to Ahwahnee.” Trishy handed Lila a key. “Do you need me to deliver something?”

“Yes, but that’s okay. Next time,” Trishy smiled.

“You got it,” said Lila. She took the key and walked into the short hall where the rooms were. The one at the very end was hers. Entering the room, she dropped her backpack and locked the room. In a swift swoosh, she fell onto the small bed and took a long nap. The only other things in the room were a cabinet and a small window for light.

Sounds of cheerful laughter and a crackling fire came from outside, waking Lila up. Light no longer came from the window. She left her room almost wobbling like a corpse. Exiting the inn she yawned as she rubbed her eyes. The community was around the fire, enjoying each other’s company. 

“Lila!” they said, happy to see her. “Come, sit down.”

“How’s it going, Lila?” said one of the older men.

“We’ll…it’s going,” Lila answered. Her voice was deep and they could hear the tiredness. “I gotta be up tomorrow morning.”

“Dear, get some rest. Don't let us keep you up,” said Trishy.

“No, it’s fine. It’s fine. I just got up from a nap anyway,” Lila answered, waving her hand.

“Hey Lila,” said another older man. “You got any scary stories?”

“Harrold!” said a younger woman. The seven year old boy sat beside her. “He’s too young for that.”

“Oh come on, the world’s already a horror story, what’s so bad about a little make-believe,” said Harrold.

The younger woman grumbled a little and rolled her eyes. The boy looked up at her, “I wanna hear a scary story, mom,” he said.

“Fine, but if you get nightmares don't start crying,” the mom said. “You can go on,” she said to Lila.

“Oh, I don't think I have any scary stories,” Lila said as she scratched her neck.

“I do,” said Bucky. The community turned to him. “It was one night. Way before the apocalypse. I was tend’in to my greenhouse in Seattle. Now I was already spooked because there was this word spreading across the neighborhood, that people were feeling like they were being watched when they're alone. So as I'm watering my flowers, I get that feeling like something wasn't right. I made sure to close the door, and it was just me in the room, but I still felt it. Now, there was no one else there. I could almost reach wall to wall, I was sure of it, but I heard this breath’n. Heavy huffing and some water drops were fall’in on my head. I looked up and what I saw…I nearly wet myself. Two big ol’ eyes look’in at me from the rafters of my greenhouse. I ran out and moved down here as fast as I could.”

The old people around the community were horrified with wide eyes and gaping mouths. 

“That wasn't scary!” said the kid with a smile.

Bucky laughed.

“My lord,” said one of the older women. “That just ain't right,” she said.

“Well, that was a great story, Bucky,” said Lila. She got up and patted his shoulder.

“Now where are you headed off to?” Bucky asked.

“To bed. I gotta leave early, remember?” said Lila. She began walking to the inn.

“Oh Bucky see, the story scared Lila!” Trishy teased.

“Ha ha,” Lila said sarcastically. She entered the inn, found her room, and went to bed.

“AHHHH!” someone screamed in the middle of the night. 

Lila jumped out of bed. The scream sent shivers throughout her body. She quickly prepared for a fight and put everything on. She left her room to find most of the community was in the hallway of the inn, surrounding one of the doors. Lila pushed her way through and saw the boy and his mother on their bed. The boy was sobbing.

“I saw someone! I saw someone!” he said, repeatedly pointing to the ceiling.

Lila got a glance of the boy’s face. A memory flashed in her mind. The night she, Carmen and some other kids were walking through empty fields. One of the boys got his leg caught in a metal trap. He screamed and cried, and died that night. 

Lila backed away from the room and went back to hers. She quickly packed up her stuff. As she passed through the crowd, she found Trishy in her nightgown. “Thank you Trishy, I have to go,” Lila said. She handed Trishy her key and left.

“Oh, okay,” Trishy said, flustered from the commotion. 

Opposite of the way Lila entered, the island had a small one-way bridge. As people walked onto it, it would lower to the coast. When they stepped off, the bridge would rise. Lila took the bridge and stepped off to the coast. The boy’s cries persisted until Lila was far enough that she couldnt hear it anymore.

SHIK 

Lila held a flint and steel up to an unlit torch.

SHIK

SHIK

FWOOSH

A flame grew on the torch. Throughout the night Lila put away the flint and steel and began making her way west through the mountain. Seeing a strangely square rock, she turned left and followed a stoney ridge. 

Eventually, she found herself on top of the place called Half-dome of Yosemite Valley. It was day by then and the sun lit up the entire valley.

Young trees were growing along the mountaintops and the charcoal had mostly gone away by now. Down below, she saw Ahwahnee village.

After several hours, she made her way down to the valley. Coming up to the stone walls of the village, she knocked on the gates.

“Let me in!” Lila called.

Some teenage boy looked over the fence and quickly moved away.

“Lila’s here!” he called.

“Lila’s here?” said another, further away.

“Lila’s here!” said a more distant voice.

CRANK BRRRR

The gate slowly opened and Lila walked into the village.

The boy walked up to her, “Lila, are you hungry? What do you need?” 

“Where’s Carmen?” she said coldly.

“She’s at the hotel,” said the boy.

“Okay, resume your duties,” Lila said. The boy nodded and left.

Another person walked up to Lila, a teenage girl. “Lila? Carmen sent me to tell you to come, it’s important,” said the girl.

Lila’s face went from a coldness to concern. She walked faster with the teenage girl beside her.

At the hotel, Lila entered the lobby. The people working inside were busy running around, handing out paperwork and managing things. 

“Hi Lila,” they all said with a nod as Lila passed by.

She made her way up the stairs to the very top hotel room that overlooked the pool. She walked through the door and entered the living room. There, Carmen and a group of people surrounded a table looking over plans for nearby settlements. The group turned to look over to Lila and their conversation quickly stopped.

“Lila,” said Carmen. She was wearing a coat that functioned as combat padding but passed as something formal. She adjusted herself.

“Carmen,” Lila nodded appropriately.

“Everyone out,” said Carmen. One of the people in the group started to roll up the plans. “Leave the paper, we will resume this later,” said Carmen. The person set the paper onto the table and quickly rushed out of the room with the others. As they passed by Lila, they gave her nods and shut the door behind them.

Carmen’s cold expression turned to a warm smile. 

“I’m glad you’re back,” Carmen said walking over to Lila.

“Is that the important news you had?” Lila asked. Carmen hugged Lila warmly, Lila did a half hug with her lower arms. When Carmen let go she kept her hands on Lila’s shoulders.

“No,” Carmen said disappointedly. She let go of Lila and walked over to a drawer under the table.

“A few days ago, we received a call on our radio,” said Carmen. She took a paper from the drawer and placed it on the table. On it were numbers and diagrams. “We traced it back to it’s general location and…”

Lila had read the words on the map and observed the diagram. “San Francisco,” she said, looking up at Carmen.

“Yes,” Carmen answered with a nervous frown.

“So what? You want me to look into it?” said Lila.

“No, I…” Carmen gulped. She looked down at the paper and read a line at the very bottom, “Someone was saying something, ‘Lila…come…San…isco.’ That’s what our radio person heard when this came in.” She looked back at Lila.

“...uh,” said Lila, with her brow furrowing.

“I know this is a lot,” said Carmen “You don't have to-”

“I’m going to,” Lila cut off Carmen.

Carmen paused. “...Okay,” she said.

“Just, not now,” Lila said. She turned around and walked out of the room. Carmen watched her with worry.

Leaving the hotel and walking throughout the village, Lila felt a sinking sensation in her stomach. She found her hut made of wood and stone, which was normal for most people in the valley. Inside, she shut the door behind her and sat on her bed. The hut was just one room with a table, chair, bed and some small storage units.

She put down her weapons, guns and heavy clothing onto her table and laid on her bed. As the day turned to night, she did not sleep.

“Was it really him? Is he really in San Francisco?” she thought.

When the moon shined brightly, someone knocked on her door.

KNOCK KNOCK

Lila was visibly tired, with baggy eyes, droopy face, and messy hair. She opened the door and Carmen was on the other side.

“Can I come in?” Carmen asked. 

“Uh, sure,” Lila stepped aside with a shuffle. Carmen noticed the bagginess of Lila’s eyes.

“I know how you may feel about this,” Carmen said. She walked in and turned to look at Lila. “You don't have to go if you don't want to-”

“I do,” Lila said with a stern voice.

“Fine, but how are you feeling?” Carmen asked.

“Uh, I don't know. Confused…” Lila said. She looked away, “I thought he was dead.” She pushed the door shut.

Click went the lock as it closed.

“I’m not surprised,” Carmen confessed. Lila looked at Carmen, intrigued. “I thought he was dead too, but the thought of him coming back loomed in the back of my head this whole time.”

“So what then?” said Lila.

“What are you gonna do when you find him?” Carmen asked.

Lila took a breath in. She walked to her bed and sat on it. Carmen sat on the chair beside the table.

“I don't know what I’ll do,” Lila said. “What would you do?”

Carmen’s eyes looked at the floor then back to Lila. “If you weren’t alive…I’d kill him.”

Lila took a quick breath through her nose as she looked at Carmen. Lila nodded. “I can see how you’d want that.”

“I’m mainly worried for you. You don't know the area,” Carmen said.

“I’ll be fine,” Lila countered.

“You don't know that, Lila,” said Carmen. “I don't even know what's out there anymore. Where’s the written report on Cashington? Huh?”

Lila rolled her eyes. “It’s New Wynnencore now.”

“But the report? What, did you drop it on the way here?” Carmen asked leaning forward.

Lila sighed and looked beside Carmen, “I was ambushed. Some of my stuff got lost.”

“See!” Carmen said.

“Dammit get off my back!” Lila said.

“You’re not going!” Carmen said with more strain in her voice.

“He’s my brother!” Lila shouted. She stood up from the bed.

“He abandoned you!” Carmen said louder, standing up as well.

“You’re not my mom!” Lila shouted back.

Carmen recoiled almost in disgust.

Lila looked at the table and started collecting her things with an angry look on her face.

“I took care of you for years!” Carmen said, watching Lila put on her heavy clothes. “I fed you!”

Lila’s face grew angrier. She dumped her gear and supplies into her backpack and zipped it up.

“Do not leave this valley! You hear me?” Carmen said.

Lila put on the pack and pulled on the door with her strength.

SNAP went the lock on the door. Lila flung the door open and stormed off into the dark. She stopped by the supplies storage and restocked on food and supplies for the week. She hadn't seen a map of california in years, so finally having one in her hands was new. New like when she went on her first expedition eastward, alone. 

It was only a few years back, she had just lost her first boyfriend to a corpse. Lila didn't care much; he was more afraid of her than in love.

She followed the river to where it exited the valley. They had built a dam and had a crude power generating mechanism. Lila walked up to the site and met the person on duty. They were sleeping on their chair beside the only 24/7 lightbulb in the valley.

“Hey!” Lila said.

The person in the chair snorted themselves awake, SnOrT “Oh! Lila! What can I do for you?”

“Don't fall asleep,” Lila said. She walked up the stairs to the upper deck of the dam and she looked west over the river. With a breath in, she jumped over the railing and climbed down the dam to the other side. There was a small controlled flow of water coming from the dam, but the stream was small enough for Lila to cross if needed. 

She followed the river into the forest. As she got further, the light from the bulb began to fade. 

Donk

Her foot had hit something. She looked down and in the dim light of the bulb, she found a human skull in the dirt. Its upper jaw was implanted into the solid ground.

Lila thought nothing of it and continued west.

0