Chapter 4.2: Could it be fate?
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The murmurs filled the throne hall as the major and minor officials waited for the emperor to arrive. The room was grandly immense, with high ceilings and columns that supported the roof. A throne stood at the room's far end, waiting for the emperor to begin the proceedings.

They stood below the throne, separated into two groups based on their ranks. The major officials held the highest positions of power, and the minor officials stood behind them, especially separated. They chatted amongst themselves, exchanged news, and boasted about their daughters who had been selected as consort candidates.

Suddenly, the hall doors opened, and the emperor strode in, accompanied by the head eunuch, the royal advisor, and the royal general. The officials bowed their heads as the emperor took his seat on the throne with a regal demeanor. They remained in this position until the emperor was seated.

The exact moment he seated, the officials ran their mouths obsequiously, sticking their asses to the emperor to impress him with information about their daughters, hoping to catch his eye and win his favor. They were like vendors trying to sell their fish to a valued customer, each trying to market their daughters to the emperor in the hopes of securing the role.

The head eunuch had to step in and call for them to be quiet, as they were becoming overbearing. "Gentlemen!" he called out, his voice echoing through the crowd. Instantly, the room fell silent. All eyes turned to the head eunuch.

"His Majesty has called you today to discuss an incident that occurred during the second round of the consort selection," the head eunuch said, voice firm. "It has come to His Majesty's attention that one of the ladies may have cheated to gain an unfair advantage and broke another candidate's flute."

The officials shifted uneasily at this revelation. They exchanged nervous glances as the news began to sink in. One official cleared his throat and spoke up, "It's not surprising that a drama has erupted among the ladies. It has happened before, during the selection for the former emperor."

Another official nodded, adding, "Yes, there have been many instances where the competition between the ladies has become quite intense. But not just as they vied for the emperor's favor during the consort selection, but also within the inner court."

There was a murmuring of agreement among the officials as they remembered similar incidents in the past. The conflict for territory could rage fiercely on the battlefield, but the contest for the emperor's affection within the inner court could be just as brutal. It was a ruthless war of wit and strategy, where one misstep could mean the difference between victory and defeat.

"We will determine the truth of this matter and ensure that the selection process will be fair," he said. "His Majesty will order a further investigation to be conducted."

"Head eunuch, is it not possible for us to be informed of the lady's identity in question?" one of the major officials asked. The head eunuch was about to respond, but the emperor spoke up before he could say anything.

"No," he declared, not batting an eye; his tone left no room for argument.

His cold response was met with a chorus of objections from the officials, frustrated by the lack of information. They felt they were being kept in the dark, saying they had a right to know what was happening in the candidate selection.

The royal advisor gave them a curt nod while listening to their troubles, his expression impassive. He understood the officials' frustration but was also aware that the situation was delicate.

"We are yet to determine the culprit. Our knowledge of this matter comes from the rumors circling the candidates. Until we are certain—" the royal advisor attempted to explain.

The officials listened to his words but still had frustration etched on their faces. "What was the purpose of mentioning this in court?" one of them queried.

Thus, knowing that the objections would never cease, the emperor brought the gathering to a close. "I'll end the royal conference here for today," the emperor said, his voice low enough for his trusted people to hear.

With a bow, the eunuch amplified the emperor's order, ensuring that all were aware of the adjournment. "Thank you, officials, for your attendance and cooperation. We shall see each other tomorrow for your opinions regarding the situation at Yeodong town."

The officials grumbled and protested, but they knew they had no choice but to comply with the emperor's orders. They bowed deeply once again as the emperor rose to his feet, signaling the end of the meeting. They left the meeting room, still questioning the situation at the palace compound for the consort candidates.

As they filed out of the room, the emperor turned to the royal advisor and the royal general. "I trust your judgment in these matters," he said. "Sir Hyun will be directing the investigation into the incident." With it, he named Sir Hyun, the royal general, as the head of the investigation. "I will leave it to you both. Report back to me with your findings."

The emperor, lost in thought following the recent discussion as he also exited the throne hall, heard a voice that woke his attention. He turned to see Lord Beom standing at a respectable distance, looking anxious.

"Your Majesty," Lord Beom called out, bowing low. "I deeply apologize for intruding upon your time, but I must bring a concern to your attention."

The emperor inclined his head, gesturing for Lord Beom to approach. "What is it, Lord Beom?" he asked, his voice calm and measured.

Lord Beom hesitated, visibly nervous. "With utmost respect, I come to you on behalf of my daughter, Beom Haewon," he said. "She has been chosen as a candidate for the position of consort, and I fear that she may not be equipped to handle the weight that comes with such a role."

Although he hadn't talked to her daughter yet, he felt frustrated that his son, whom he had entrusted to sneak Haewon away from the trials of the consort selection, had fallen short and got caught. Understanding his daughter's personality led him to desire nothing more than to shield her from the merciless competition.

The emperor raised an eyebrow, surprised by Lord Beom's words. "I understand your concerns, Lord Beom," he said. "But I assure you, only the most capable candidates are chosen. Your daughter must have shown great potential to have been selected."

Lord Beom nodded, his face etched with worry. "Your Majesty, I appreciate your words, but Haewon has always been a little… different from the other ladies," he said, struggling to find the right words. "She has always preferred weapons over feminine pursuits. I fear that her lack of experience in important matters may prevent her from fulfilling the duties of a consort."

The emperor nodded, considering Lord Beom's words. "I see," he said. "I will consider your recommendation. If deemed truly unsuitable, I will ensure she is excused from the selection process."

Lord Beom nodded, grateful for the emperor's words. "I am greatly grateful for Your Majesty's benevolence. Thank you for taking the time to hear my plea," he said, bowing low again.

As Lord Beom rose from his bow and straightened his back, the emperor turned and began walking down the stairs, the hem of his curtain hat sweeping behind him. The emperor made his way down the concrete staircase, leaving Lord Beom alone by the throne hall's gates.

0