Chapter 5
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Klaus bristled at Bridget’s words, “what makes you so sure of that?”

The only change to her neutral expression was a slight uptick of her left eyebrow. “Have you ever even thrown a punch before?”

Klaus scowled, which Bridget apparently took as a confirmation. She said, “6 A.M. If you are late, I will find you.”

After a brief glance Giovanna’s direction, during which her expression didn’t change but Giovanna’s grew three shades angrier (if that was even possible), Bridget shut the door. 

Giovanna inhaled sharply through her teeth, “come on, Ruel is waiting.”

*

Ruel... wasn’t waiting. But Giovanna wouldn’t put off whatever ‘plans’ she had to wait for them and so she left her unwilling charge in front of a closed office door. “Knock every few minutes. That’s not the only way in,” was all she said before leaving.

Klaus briefly considered just... leaving as well. But only very, very briefly. He wasn't sure he could retrace his steps back through the confusing hallways to the room of mirrors. And even if he made it there, if these people were to  be believed, then his way back home was... shattered.

Klaus leaned back against the door. He opened up his fist and stared down at the two shards of glass and the bloody cuts they left in his palm. He stared for what felt like a proper amount of minutes before letting his other hand, still curled in a fist, swing back to knock low on the door.

He was unprepared for it to immediately swing open. Klaus fell backwards and before he could catch himself he was caught by thin arms and a nest of feathers.

Ruel looked down at him with wide eyes, “what? You knocked and didn’t expect me to open the door?”

Klaus stood up, pulling his arms roughly from Ruel’s hands, “I didn’t think you’d be back already.”

Ruel tilted their head to the side, an amused half-smile on their lips, “and I thought you’d take longer to get here.” Ruel stepped to the side of the doorway, arm and white feathered wing outstretched in a gesture saying ‘come in’. Klaus stepped in just enough for Ruel to close the door.

Ruel’s smile got bigger, their eyes squinting, “so...? What weapon did Giovanna pick out for you?”

The word ‘weapon’ was not one Klaus could easily associate with the garbage currently clenched in his fist and so he took an extra couple of seconds to hold out his hand and uncurl his fingers.

Ruel raised an eyebrow, “no wonder you got here so quickly. I expected a lack of creativity in her choice but not such a lack of care. Oh well, I can’t change what I said now, I’ll just have to make do.”
Ruel plucks the shards from Klaus’ hand. The pieces begin to glow at their touch, “duck your head down,” they said after a moment of considering the jagged glass in their hands. 

Klaus didn’t bother to hold back his sneer, “why?”

“Why not?” Ruel asked in return. They didn't wait for an answer to their ridiculous questions and instead grabbed the shell of his left ear with surprising  strength and dragged his head down.

... and then stabbed one of the shards through his earlobe.

0