35 – FEAST
8 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

South Tori High

September 24th X288

 

The day of the unwanted award arrived, and everyone was invited.

Mayor Banquet’s committee had set up the school’s auditorium days in advance. Broadcasting networks set up multiple cameras, and security was airtight.

The auditorium was off-limits for students and school staff until the day of the event.

Florian headed straight to the auditorium that morning as instructed. She saw Officer Keen standing guard, still wearing his neck brace.

“Look who’s here. Detective Cobblestone. Why didn’t you dress up for the occasion?” He tipped his cap.

“No one told me I needed to dress up.”

“People listen to those that dress the part. Remember that.”

“Any updates on your end?”

“We got nothing. Hell, we’re so understaffed and underfunded, even the chief is somewhere around here guarding the mayor.”

“Understood. Keep up the good work.” Florian was allowed in.

“You got this,” Keen whispered.

Florian, with her newfound resolve, prepared the best she could.

 

🙠🙢

 

Yesterday, Ronaldo and Florian discussed her plan. She’d installed a recording application on her phone.

“This is insane. I’m still too afraid to go outside! Your drawings aren’t enough to prepare me for the sheer number of souls drifting about.”

“I’ve lived with them all my life. You’ll get used to it.”

Ronaldo reviewed Florian’s plan. “Your idea’s brilliant. Let’s rehearse it again. We’ll practice until your thoughts are conveyed perfectly. It won’t be easy, but I know you can do it.”

“He’ll definitely counter with something,” Florian said.

“And you’ll prepare a response to that and another for his next. Why? Because that’s what he’s doing right now. After all, it’s his job to rehearse and practice speeches. I’ve seen him debate himself out of a corner so many times. He’s a monster in the political world.”

 

🙠🙢

 

Dr. Ronaldo’s words echoed in Florian’s mind.

She shivered, even after rehearsing countless times; this was Banquet’s field of expertise. The school was Florian’s territory; she had her classmates, teachers, family, and the police’s support. Her only chance was today.

A limousine pulled up to the auditorium. Banquet and Blythe had arrived. Banquet wore a lavish white suit, and Blythe matched with a white dress. They both waved at Florian with brimming smiles.

His staff immediately confronted him. The floating smile spirit tumbled in the air, releasing bubbles filled with even smaller bubbles.

“Hey!” Blythe ran to Florian with her bubble-tailed dog soul wagging its tail.

“It feels like forever. How are you?” Florian asked.

“This is great! You’re getting your reward for saving me. Thank you so much for everything,” Blythe said.

“You’re a friend of Hope’s, and that makes you my friend too. If you need help with anything, just call me, okay,” Florian said.

“I’ll have you know; I won’t need your help with my homework. I’m at the top of my class.” Bubbles drifted off the tail of her dog.

“Whatever you say.” Florian rolled her eyes.

“And here’s the center of attention, Florian Lilly Cobblestone.” Banquet approached them with open arms. “My daughter has a great eye for spectacle and presentation; she’s in charge of the decorations staff.”

Florian kept an eye on Banquet’s soul, inflating tricks and lies into the air. She turned her head, not saying a word.

“I’m kidding. It’s your special day after all. Please follow me. We have so much to do.”

-POP-

“Why?” Florian followed, discouraged in thought. Every time he opens his mouth, I get so irritated. His soul tells me he’s never saying what he’s really thinking.

“Yes, we’ll have music, make it as cheerful and elegant as possible,” Banquet said, advising his staff efficiently. His soul’s bubbles popped over the head of the staff members as he spoke.

-POP-

Liar.

“Oh, not at all. More balloons and confetti! We must celebrate our hero who saved my daughter and protected this city from terrifying criminals. Two officers nearly died.” Banquet glanced toward Florian, as if observing her reaction.

-POP-

Florian could see his floating smile soul peek toward her.

Stop, Florian! Don’t get emotional. Otherwise, he wins.

“Don’t worry. Daddy sounds bossy, but he loves when other people tell him how they feel,” Blythe said.

“Oh, I can’t get enough of it.” Banquet grinned.

Florian’s family arrived and introduced themselves to the mayor. Blythe stuck to Hope like glue, allowing everyone to get along more easily.

Florian put up with the facade.

 

🙠🙢

 

Sergeant Honest and Miss Fumblehouse arrived at the auditorium.

Students and faculty stared at Miss Fumblehouse.

“Whoa? Isn’t that the parasol lady?”

“Awesome! She’s good luck.”

“Her dress is so cute.”

“The urban legend in the flesh.”

Miss Fumblehouse shivered. “Oh no. I feel like I’m being watched. Please don’t look at me.” She covered her face with her plush turtle, swiftly tiptoeing away.

“She’s so adorable.”

Sergeant Honest glared at Officer Keen at the entrance.

“You again,” Honest said.

“Oh, the one-legged military man. How’s freedom?” Keen asked.

“Great, without police breathing down my neck.”

“Well, I’m keeping my eye on you. Better watch your step.”

“Interesting choice of words. Want to say that again? Neck brace!”

“Was that police harassment in my ear? Or a life sentence?” Officer Keen caught a glimpse of Miss Fumblehouse. He adjusted his greased hair, stood up straight, and held the door for her. “Hello, lovely lady, I might have to arrest you for being too adorable.”

Miss Fumblehouse frantically walked past him, face covered by her plush, not acknowledging his existence.

“Thanks, first responder.” Honest walked through the doorway, too.

“Damn, last responder. If I weren’t on the clock, I would—”

Honest and Fumblehouse found the Cobblestone family and sat with them, just missing Florian and Banquet.

Banquet explained to Florian the stage direction. “I’ll walk on stage first, and when I call your name, you’ll join me. I’ll then hand you this portfolio, and we’ll shake hands. Smile. Wave. Then, we’ll walk down to the reporters below for individual interviews. If you have any questions or ideas you would like to add, please let me know.” He smiled.

Florian calmly complied, waiting for her chance to confront him.

“Great.” He smiled. “That reminds me. Jessica, please take Florian to the dressing room to get ready. Our hero has to make a new impression, from covered in soot to glamorous. How’s that sound?”

“Understood. This way, please.” The staff member, Jessica, waved.

Jessica had a blonde ponytail and wore a pink blouse with blue jeans. Her soul was that of a sting ray, swimming through the air around her.

Florian followed her, looking back occasionally at the mayor, busy directing other staff members.

The dressing room was a news broadcasting trailer outside the auditorium. It was filled to the brim with a vast wardrobe, mirrors, and makeup.

Jessica grabbed Florian’s hand and wrapped a tape measure around her.

“Let’s pick a dress, shall we? You’re the headliner, so we should pick something daring and heroic.”

“I don’t care much for dresses. Can’t I keep what I’m wearing?” Florian had on her favorite hoodie and jeans.

“Days like today, you should be concerned about dresses. You’re only on stage or TV for a short time. The way you look conveys more words than any you can muster. Trust me. I think you would look best in this one.”

Jessica presented a long black dress with a black rose-shaped bow on the blouse.

“It’s beautiful,” Florian said.

“And bold,” Jessica said.

Florian fit into the dress. It took Jessica minutes to hem the stray parts.

When Florian put on the dress, her shoulder, still recovering, was visible. She lightly rubbed her bruise.

“Perfect. Now for a quick touch of makeup.” Jessica’s sting ray landed on her shoulder as she covered the bruise, pulling out a makeup kit and masterfully clearing up Florian’s shoulder. She then touched up Florian’s face.

“You’re still young, so you don’t need much. Today you’ll be beside the most fortunate man in the city. With all of this, you’ll be able to stand beside him on equal terms. You look marvelous, Flori,” Jessica said.

She finished with the rose ribbon covering Florian’s blouse.

Florian could barely recognize herself when she looked into the mirror. She wondered what her soul looked like beside her now. She was sure it would match her dress.

“Thank you.”

“No. Thank you. I just wish we had more time to get to know each other better. But I’m happy that I got the chance to dress you up at least once. I feel like I can now leave without any regrets,” Jessica said.

“What do you mean?” Florian looked in the mirror and saw Jessica leave the dressing room.

At the last second, before the door closed, Florian saw Jessica smirk as her sting ray soul swam into her hair. Its tail morphed into suction cups, almost like an octopus tentacle.

“No way!” Florian jumped out of her seat and out the door.

The woman was nowhere to be found. She’d vanished like a ghost.

I knew it! Clarissa Lantern’s alive! It didn’t make sense why her entourage would kill her. The bond they shared was undeniably unbreakable. That means the dead body found at the scene was a fake or a decoy. This changes everything!

She paused in her thoughts. Wait. Why’s Clarissa Lantern here? If she’s here, then the rest of Ghost is here too! Are they here to finish what they started? Everyone here might be in danger! Wait, the blueprints in their hideout! It’s starting to make sense. Florian ran off to confirm her suspicion.

“Whoa, looking good, Detective Cobblestone,” Officer Keen said.

Florian caught her breath. “A blonde woman with a pink shirt and blue jeans named Jessica. Have you seen her?”

“How could I forget such a pretty face? I’ve only seen her once today, early this morning.”

“Stop her if you find her. I think she might be up to something.” Florian ran off.

“Really?” Keen radioed in. “We have a suspicious person. . .”

Florian searched around the auditorium, checking each person’s spirit, one by one.

She must be around here somewhere. I can find any member of Ghost, no matter what disguise they wear!

She checked the security and the staff when students began pouring in.

I’m too late. There’s no way I can do this with this many people. I won’t be able to tell which soul belongs to who.

“Oh, you’re done already? Brilliant. Care to join me at the catering table?” Banquet asked.

“That Jessica lady, did you see where she went?” Florian asked.

“Jessica? Oh, she told me in advance she had an urgent meeting to attend. Though she insisted she could stay to dress you. Strange, don’t you think?”

“How do you know her?” Florian kept an eye on his soul.

“What? I first met her two days ago. The news station said she had been working for them for years. Is something wrong?” Banquet’s smile disappeared.

“Nothing’s wrong.” Florian stumbled; not a single bubble came from its mouth.

“Hmmm? Have you met this Jessica woman before?” Banquet smiled.

“No, I haven’t.” Florian couldn’t look him in the eye.

“Hmmm? Are you about to do something amazing again?” His spirit retook an interest in Florian, shoving its giant face in hers.

“Look at how worried you are. If I were you, I would get used to that feeling fast. Once you have a target on your back, it’s hard to shake it off. Hahaha.” Banquet handed her a plate from the catering table. “You’re such a hard worker.”

I have to stay on track. Banquet’s right here in front of me. This is my chance.

“Mayor Banquet, I would like to speak with you alone.”

2