38 – LEAGUES APART
5 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

oSuPEcg.jpg

South Tori High

September 24th X288

 

Florian, still processing what had happened, waited for Banquet backstage.

After half an hour, Banquet finally finished his interviews. Florian, arms crossed in a folding chair, was dozing. He tried to sneak past her, making his way to the rear exit.

Florian stood up. “Where do you think you’re going? Get back here.”

“I didn’t want to interrupt your nap. No hard feelings.” He smiled. “Kidding.”

They stared at each other intensely. His soul gently floated to his back, not a bubble in sight.

“Sir, are you ready to leave?” a staff member asked.

Mayor Banquet didn’t say a word, not breaking eye contact with Florian.

The staff member backed away and shooed away the others. In seconds the backstage was cleared out.

Banquet smiled. “Well, it feels like things are winding down. I have a few more questions for you, and I’m sure you have some for me. Now that you’ve accepted the scholarship, no more recording. Okay? Florian Lilly Cobblestone.”

Florian nearly popped a blood vessel, pulling out her phone and turning off the recording application. “Answer me! How could you use Blythe like that? She’s your daughter!”

“Yes, but she’s safe now. Isn’t she?”

“When was it? When did you predict that I would chase down those kidnappers?” She asked.

When did he decide to trick and use me?

“Pardon? Oh, I’m just a normal human being. I’m incapable of predicting the future. All of this was merely a coincidence.”

“Please, I want to know. No matter what I would have said or done, I wouldn’t have won against you. Please, tell me. What did I do wrong?”

His soul landed on his back; his eyes focused on Florian. He lowered his hands and relaxed his cheerful attitude. “I realized it the moment you showed yourself at my front door after you handed me my daughter. You gave me such an unsatisfied look while you guarded your mute sister. Right there, at that moment, I could visualize you defeating me on that stage right behind us.”

He seemed to have no doubt in his mind and smiled the same as always.

“From the moment we first met?” Florian said. Wait. Defeating him?

“The kidnapping was indeed staged. I knew from the very beginning that something could go wrong, and I could handle it. Lo and behold, when we first met in that chaotic scenario, your impression seemed abnormally confident. I began to suspect you had some form of evidence that could ruin my reelection. I soon gave in to my curiosity and checked into your background, finding something remarkable. Ambition.”

He paused. “Junior league karate tournament winner. Prized junior high role model helping others. Compassionate older sister learning sign language. And now, let’s add aspiring detective to the list. It dawned on me that I wasn’t dealing with an ordinary high school girl. I had a gut feeling that Florian Lilly Cobblestone would spell my doom if I didn’t play seriously. In fact, you intrigued me so much, I anticipated the worst, confirming my suspicions with my first move, forcing—sorry, offering you into a corner.”

“The scholarship,” Florian said.

“Correct. It was even made up of the donations going toward paying the ransom. It makes it even more heartwarming, doesn’t it? Understand? That was the exact moment I could see the events transpire, the big picture, if you will. I won.”

“You’re insane.”

“Not in the slightest. I knew all the risks. You were the one who went above and beyond and chased away those sketchy criminals. Your stunt did scare me. I thought Ghost ran off because they killed someone, you or an officer. When you were wrapped like a burrito, refusing to look at me, I had a hunch there was a casualty. I later confirmed there was a dead body, one of their own. I was devastated. But it was only a moment ago you came to me, telling me the body was fake. Your information made it all click, and I finally understood their message. All that remained was handing you your award.”

“Do you think this is some sort of game? What’s wrong with you?!”

“This is most certainly a game. All the pieces on the board are after something. I bet even you were searching for something. So why can’t I play too and help all the players win? Well, help all the players I deem worthy.” His soul panted, laughing without a single bubble in sight.

“You trusted people you’ve never even met with your daughter’s safety? Me, a complete stranger and notorious criminals, seriously?”

“I trust Mr. Selucius as a worthy enemy. My daughter trusts you as you saved her life. So I decided to believe in you too. I would be foolish not to trust someone risking her life to save my daughter. After all, they didn’t kill you. Did they?” Mayor Banquet walked toward the exit.

Florian followed him. “When I’m older, I’ll make you pay for all this. I’ll put a stop to your lies once and for all.”

“Lies? Hahaha. Oh, I look forward to it. I really enjoy a good debate. It’s the only chance I get to truly be myself. Though it’s a pity we couldn’t debate on stage today. I admit it would’ve been too good to be true. A freshman high school girl who could not only chase away infamous criminals but also debate against me as an equal. It’s my fault for expecting that much from a child. I don’t regret overestimating you. You’re definitely a wild card that sees the ‘world’ in a unique way.”

They exited the building and made their way to his limousine.

“Some mayor you are. Do you even know how many people were caught up in this mess? I’ll never, ever cast a vote for you.”

“You got it wrong. I became the mayor because I love Tarot Tori City and its people. I want to improve this city and prove our legacy is capable of making a difference. I’m willing to walk alone to Satan’s door and conspire a staged kidnapping to show Satan that I do not fear them and that I know they’re in my city.” He grinned. “That’s my way of saying, I got my eyes on you. Of course, if Satan wants to play in my room with my toys, they must know I don’t like to share. Oh, how Mr. Selucius smiled, happily bothered. I only wish we had more time to play.” Banquet paused for a second and looked away as if hiding his face. His soul carried a deflated frown.

Florian was caught off guard, thinking he was shedding a tear.

Banquet turned around with a steady scowl. “Florian Lilly Cobblestone . . . I pulled a lot of legs to make this work out for the both of us. If you waste that scholarship of yours, next time, I’ll pull your leg for real.”

Florian gritted her teeth in silence.

Without saying another word, the mayor walked toward his Limo Force One, leaving Florian in the middle of the parking lot.

She couldn’t wrap her head around this, accepting the results. She wanted nothing to do with him.

Florian turned around. Behind the dumpster of the auditorium, she noticed a dark-haired boy and a blonde girl with a headband. Their souls were intertwined.

Florian’s face turned bright red, looking away. Their spirits were a snake and a cluster of fur.

Wait. She got a closer look.

It was Sticks with his snake mouse and his girlfriend Choco with her fur cluster spirit. Their eyes met Florian’s. Both were frozen. Sticks pulled his hood over his head and took off running, reentering the auditorium.

“Hey! Get back here!” Florian ran after him, lifting her skirt to run.

Choco blocked the doorway to the auditorium; her fur cluster revealed its white eyes and teeth. “Leave my boyfriend alone!”

Florian slipped past Choco with a slide and a step and chased Sticks into the auditorium and through the crowds of people exiting the building.

Sergeant Honest and Miss Fumblehouse were in Sitcks’s path.

“Honest, stop him!” Florian shouted.

“Roger, Little Liter.” Honest blocked Sticks’s escape, protecting Miss Fumblehouse.

Fumblehouse’s eyes spun as she crouched to the floor. She shielded Hope and Blythe with her tiny body.

Sticks changed direction, running through the aisles of seats.

Officer Keen joined the chase, radioing help. “We have a suspicious person inside the auditorium. . .”

Choco followed Florian, trying to stop her from apprehending her boyfriend.

“Stupid dress!” Florian said, trying to keep up with the pursuit.

 

2