Geir the Settler
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was the calm sea like before, soothing air, tamed waves, and the gentle breeze that carries the sails.

It has been a long time, a very long time since Geir felt this with his brothers, as five years has passed since their lives change radically.

 

The little brothers are more or less kings now, they rule, they inspire, they conquer, and they triumph. Geir triumph also with the land he has, but… he never settled it, only visited it once to see his domain, where promptly he went out again with Estryd, Marco, and Siasêr.

There was a feeling of disbelief, shock might be. But through and through Geir was actually confused with what to do with the land, it needs people, needs man with specialties to flip the dirt and make something out of it.

That is why they went out to see this old new world, as they met more people, met more lands, and even made stories out of them.

Called the ‘Stranger’ Geir was, with his weird language, apparel, weapons, and looks. But this stranger’s story was not as high as his brothers, as his tale was that of trade, land, and petty dramas.

 

The seeress was right, no one knows who and what Geir ‘the Stranger’ really did and was. But his brothers were far beyond, far magnanimous, far well-known.

 

Eirikr, the youngest of them has the most renown among them, called the ‘Iron King’ as he fulfilled what the Seeress said. He forged his crown, his kingdom out of the blood of his enemies and even allies in Noranda.

The kingdom is called Noreg, it united from where it was born, Høyde, and ended in the newly established city called Rosor, the southern-most city of its Kingdom.

His tale was that of blood and steel, same like Geir’s early years. But it recounts also the inner beast that Eirikr has, the blood-thirsty nature that lays in the depths of the Iron King. As it is told by the bards and skalds, the Iron King will bring iron and left with blood all over him.

 

Karl, the middle child, on the other hand has a more favourable, yet a firm reminder who he was.

The ‘King over the Horizon’.

Blood was spilled too like in his brother’s tales, but it was drama, betrayal, and cunningness that surrounds his story.

And there was another story that circulate around the court of Syacus, and by time, the royal courts of every Erisgian kingdom. It is the love and hate story between the Northern Consort and the Southern Princess.

It was a far cry than the young romantic relationship Eirikr has with Frida, far more than the usual hatred between the unwilling Princesses and Princes in Erisgi.

No… it was… weird, awkward to some extent, but… complicated nonetheless as both of their relationship, Karl and Theophania, is not as magical as Eirkir and Frida, but not as generically painful as other royalties here in Erisgi.

 

Speaking of relationship and love, Geir’s and Estryd’s is one of note that is… very, very, very, juvenile.

A romance that can be summed up with the line, “will they, won’t they.” It is infuriating, yet… cute to a certain extent.

But in the end, an answer must be given to what they are having, what they are feeling.

And…

 

* * *

 

“LAND! HO!!!” Eirikr yelled.

“Even after being an actual King, you still, somehow, could still act like the snotting kid with imagination of a thousand colors…” Karl, as usual, will always take any chance to ridicule his younger brother.

“Hey! You can’t talk to me like that! I am a King!”

“So am I, idiot!”

“Guys! C’mon!” Geir break them off, like the usual too, whenever they fought. “We’re home!”

““…”” Both of them went silent in embarrassment.

“Yeah… we’re home.” Karl broke the silence and smiled as he saw back again, the dock the left off, 5 years ago.

“And… is that… father?” Eirikr broke his silence too, by seeing an old and very familiar man who raises them.

 

As they saw their father, sitting on the wooden planks of the docks, with a reel and a bait on his hands, they docked and made quite a surprise to him.

They stepped out after properly tying the ship to the dock, went to him and greeted the man they looked up to.

 

“Father! It’s been… a long time…” Karl came and talked first, after all, he was the one who suggested going back.

“…who are you? I don’t remember having any kids as tall as you…”

“Father it’s me! Karl! Eirikr and big brother Geir are here too!!” Karl was shocked and slightly scared.

“You can say your name all you want, but… I honestly don’t know who you three are.” Arne, their father, said in confusion.

“Father…” Karl was defeated.

“Karl, let me.” But Geir wasn’t, he knew something was up and amnesia or dementia aren’t one of them. “Father… I know, I defied you, I… didn’t listen, but this is not a dream father, not a mirage, not an illusion. We didn’t die out there in the sea, we didn’t drown in the unfeeling cold ocean, we found land, we found opportunity, and everything there.”

 

There was a brief silence between them, an awkward stare from Arne that Geir very well knew was fabricated.

 

“So then why did you come back here?” As Arne said that the three of them knew that he, their father, was playing with them.

“Because we miss you, mom, everyone...” Geir said.

“Miss me… haha… HAHAHAHA!!!!” Arne laughed uncontrollably and promptly let loose of his tears. “Where the fuck have you three been?!” He said with a smile and tears.

 

Three of them after that went to their father, hugging him tightly, embracing the old man that meant everything to the three of them.

Arne smiled and thanked the gods that his boys finally came home.

 

“Now can you explain the other five big ships behind my ship and who those people are behind you three?” Arne asked.

“Ohh yeah! Father, let me introduce you to my wife, Theophania!” Karl went first as he brought Theophania in the back towards his father. “And… as you can see, she’s with my child right now.”

“By the gods… congratulations… can… I?”

“Yes, please.” Theophania spoke up in joy and let her father-in-law touch the belly that carries his grandchild.

“Wow… can’t believe I am going to be a grandfather…” Arne said in disbelief.

“Going? You already are!” Eirikr hearing of his father’s joyous reception, broke out the news.

“I am sorry what?”

“Here! Let me introduce you to my wife, Frida, your first grandson, Sigurdr, second grandson, Haraldr, still a wee bit lad of course, and… your soon to be your first granddaughter! We’re calling her Aslög.” Eirikr introduced his family to Arne.

“I…” He was shocked, too much joy were being slapped at him, too much great things is happening at once, and he doesn’t know if he could take anymore. But… he awaits another as he asked. “Then… how about you Geir, my eldest, don’t say you’re taking a vow of celibacy like the Virgins of Freja?”

“Actually… I got someone, her name is Estryd.” Geir then introduced Estryd in the back to him. “And after a lot of back and forth-”

“A LOT OF BACK AND FORTH?! MORE LIKE A LOT OF PUSSYFOOTING YOU SISTER FUCKER!!” It was Marco in the back, shouting on the top of his lungs.

“That’s Marco, Estryd’s brother, and the one who guided us in the east!” Geir introduced the man who disturbed them. “As I was saying father, after a lot of back and forth, we decided to get married here!”

“Another reason to the list why you came back?”

“More like… the primary reason why I actually came back, it was her idea after all.”

“My boys….” With a very heartfelt smile, looking at the present and future that his sons has made for them, he was proud, but most importantly, relieved. “Come now! Let’s go to your mother, she’ll want to see what her boys have become!”

“Lets!” Geir in excitement, said.

“But wait…” Arne in the middle of the walk, stopped as he realized something was still off. “You three haven’t explained the five big ships, those well armored men, and… why both Karl and Eirikr are dressed like the Konungs and Jarls!”

“That… ehh… how should we say it…”

“Your highnesses! It would be a tremendous honor for me to give the news of who you two are to your esteemed father!” A nobleman, dressed like an envoy, came in front and offered his service.

“Well… You are a great spokesman Giovanni… very well!” Karl gave the greenlight.

“Thank you, your highness!” Giovanni then introduced them like the royalty they are. “Esteemed father of his highnesses, both of your sons, are Kings, his highness, my Lord Karl, the one I swore fealty to, is the Prince-Consort of Syacus, Queen Theophania’s husband and her handy right hand.” Giovanni took some time for a breathe. “Then your youngest, Lord Eirikr, is the King of Noreg, a uniter and a mighty warlord in the lands we called Noranda!”

“Wow…” again, shocked of what his children has achieved. “Then… what about Geir? What about you?!”

“Ehh… too much for my character.” Geir said.

“I did offer him a dukedom, father-in-law, but… well… big brother Geir is just that humble and very allergic to realm politics.” Theophania chimed in.

“Hahaha… that’s my son!” Arne pat Geir in the back, as he realized that his son is still the same after the many changes.

 

* * *

 

After that they followed their father, passing the village that they grew up on, meeting back the people they too grew up with and informing the wedding that the Arnesons are going to celebrate on their farmstead.

They then went uphill after leaving the village, passing the pale and cold wheat they used to work, whereafter they saw an aging woman, sitting on a rocking chair alone.

 

“Honey! Look who’s back!” Arne said to his wife.

“Our….” She stood up, in disbelief, in shock, she didn’t have the right words to express what she is feeling, but she knows what to do to express her feelings as she ran to her three boys and…

 

SMACK!!!

 

“WHERE THE FUCK HAVE YOU THREE BEEN?! LOOK AT THOSE DAMN WHEATS!!! WE HAD TO HIRE MORE PEOPLE JUST TO FILL THE GAP YOU THREE LEFT!!!!!!”

“““Ow…””” The three brothers got the scolding of their life.

“I mean… Gods… boys… five years? FIVE DAMN YEARS?! Leaving your aging father and mother?!!!” Again, their mother was both angry and relief.

“““We’re sorry mom…””” And they three can only whimper like the pups they are to her.

“Gods… and who are those three women?!” Their mother peeked and saw the women that stood behind their backs.

“They are-” Geir wanted to explained.

“Shut up! I want to hear it from the horse’s mouth, so explained now who the hel you three are?” But his mother cut him off.

 

Frightened slightly of the mother bear nature their husband’s mother is, Estryd, Theophania, and Frida came forward to her, about to explained who they are and what they are to her boys.

 

“I am Theophania, esteemed mother in la-” Theophania was cut off as.

“Who the hel gave you permission to call me mother?! We’re strangers for all I know! So, call me Hilda!” The three brother’s mother, Hilda, said in a somewhat demeaning tone.

“I am sorry mothe- Hilda…” Theophania was a bit scared.

“Now you!”

“My name is Hil- I mean Frida! Frida mo- Hilda! Your… youngest’s wife.” Frida on the other hand was very scared at her mother-in-law.

“And you red?!”

“I… I am Estryd! Soon to be Geir’s wife, only lacking on your and your husband’s approval!” Estryd said with quite the confidence.

“Hmm…” Hilda went quiet after that, observing the women her three boys brought. “Now answer me this very truthfully.” Hilda paused, building up suspense and more less dread to three of them. “The three of them? Seriously? You fine ladies can do better you know!” And the tension was broken as Hilda more or less just ridiculed her three cubs.

“““MOTHER!!””” The three of them heard this and took offense.

“HEY! I am talking to my daughters here! So shut up and go fix us four some nice meads!” And as Estryd, Theophania, and Frida heard this, they sigh in relief as they were accepted.

“““Okay…””” As usual, they can’t fight back the mama bear that raises them as they went to the house with their father and prepared the mead she asked.

“Now back on topic! Why my boys? Answer this truthfully, please!” Hilda was excited, but mostly curious that his stubborn cubs could get a mate.

“Well… for me, it was… this is a bit embarrassing… love at first sight!” Frida answered first. “Eirikr was just so charming and he took my heart when he won the tournament for me… He’s also very strong which… well… I ended up bearing three of his children!”

“Wait so those kids… are my grandchildren?!” Frida was shocked.

“Sigurdr, Haraldr, meet your grandma!”

““Hi!”” They both went in front quite sheepishly to meet the grandma they’ve been told by their father.

“Hi!!!” Hilda was very excited as she crouched down to touch and caress her grandchildren. “By the gods… and that too in your belly?”

“She’s Aslög!”

“Such a pretty name!” Hilda was in a euphoric state like Arne. “Then… how about you! Theophania right? The one in your belly is?”

“We still don’t know whether it’s a he or she, but he or she, is Karl’s!” Theophania answered in joy.

“Karl? The boy that always tinker our farming tools and stare at the skies, could plow?!”

“It seems so!” Theophania smiled while answering. “And… his mind is one of the reasons why I fell for him, but… truth be told, his emotional intellect might be the thing that wooed me.”

“That’s Karl, the boy is more brains than the brawns in his village!”

“Yes…”

“So then how about you Estryd? What part of Geir that made you fell for him?”

“I know this might seem vague, but… it’s the truth and only the truth! As… I fell for him because who he is as whole, I accept every inch of him.” Estryd said.

“Even his demons?”

“Yes… how do you know? Geir said he kept that to himself very well.”

“He can try keep it to himself, but nothing could pass the woman that knows him since his birth.” Hilda said proudly.

“So now… can we call you mother?” Estryd then asked the thing that she seeks from Hilda.

“Theophania and Frida may, but you? No.” And this shocked the three of them. “What’s with the look? You two haven’t tied the knot right?”

“Yes…” Estryd said defeatingly.

“So, let’s tie the knot then!” Hilda said with a smile as she lifted the defeated face Estryd wore.

 

* * *

 

It was right after the sun went down, right after everyone from the village came to Arne’s farmstead, and right after Geir and Estryd exchanges their vows.

Hilda cried, Arne was proud, Marco almost objected because he’s very precious towards his little sister, but Siasêr stopped her husband from doing something stupid, and… all around, it was a joyous occasion for the Arnessons.

 

Though this party was a celebration of love and union, it was also a celebration of return, the return of the three prodigal sons. As those three told stories of the things they have encountered and saw in the east.

Eirikr with a couple of his thegn, caroused with his old friends with mead in hand as he told his great feats of martial prowess and his conquest in Noranda. Tales of blood, steel, gold, and women too, were told.

They were shocked, but starry eyed nonetheless as they saw the boy who they thought would only be a farm boy, has become a king, an Iron King legends.

 

“If you guys want, you should join my service! Noreg always welcome hardy young men with untapped potentials like all of you!”

 

Eirikr said in excitement and his old friends’ interest were piqued.

 

While Eirikr more or less were recruiting his friends to bathe in blood with him, Karl was catching up to a couple people and a friend, a female friend, that he used to play and work with.

 

“So… you have a wife…” She said somewhat gladly, yet a tone of disbelief can be heard through the lines.

“Yeah…” Karl can only speak in an awkward manner as… he knew back then there was something between them, but… the timing was just not right. “Helga I-”

“No. don’t. there’s nothing to be sorry about, I am happy for you! Just… take care alright!” As Helga said that, she left, no tears, but with a broken heart nonetheless.

“Damn…” And Karl could only stand there, feeling only like the bad guy.

“Wow… very smooth, I guess that’s where your moves came from!” Out of the fray, Theophania entered.

“What do you want, Phania? Can you just leave me be for a moment...” Karl was not in the mood to play her usual games.

“To leave you be with the thoughts of some commoner on your head?”

“You’re crossing the line Phania.”

“Crossing the line my ass, I’ve crossed many lines that you arbitrarily made, what makes this different?”

“Because I actually loved her.”

“What…” Theophania was taken aback by the answer.

“Or used to anyways… five years has made that into a memory, but like I said, don’t you dare cross this line, I am not going to take it like how I usually do when you push my buttons Phania.”

“…” Theophania was silent, more out of shock than out of compliance.

“Now leave me be-”

“Wait…” Theophania went closer to Karl. “I am sorry…” She hugged him.

“…why do you always do this, what message are you sending to me? Am I just a tool? Am I just a a punching bag? Or am I something more…”

“Shut up… and… I am sorry for crossing the line.” Theophania hugged him tightly as she seeks Karl’s forgiveness.

 

Again, the tale of the Northern Consort and the Southern Princess is a weird tale of love and hate between them, a tale that is too complicated to be the average love story between a man and a woman.

 

* * *

 

“Nice party you have.” Arne came as he sat down with his eldest son.

“Nice party you thrown.” And Geir, with mead in hand, said gratefully to his father.

“Ha…” Arne took a huge sigh of relief after sitting down. “Can’t believe the 15-year-old who wanted to go on an adventure came home with a woman this time.”

“Me too… hahaha…” Geir smiled. “But also… I came home with some news.”

“Good one?”

“Very much, as I found it! A nice land, a very nice warm land that can grew golden wheats, even grapes! Sweet grapes that is just magnificent!”

“Ahhh… so this is the second reason?”

“Yup! And… well… I need people, labour and talent that can turn a piece of dirt into gold! And you, the people here too, can do it!”

“Hmm… it would be great for them, a new opportunity… but for me, I’ll pass.”

“What?” The answer surprises Geir. “I got that land for you, you know! For mom, for Eirikr, for Karl, for us!”

“Don’t lie to yourself Geir! You got that land for yourself and it’s okay!”

“Father…”

“Look, I am old, your mother’s nearing her 60th age, and you are young! Us being there would only hamper you down.”

“…” Geir went silent, but he’s not defeated yet. “No! I mean… okay fine, yes, it’s for me! but it’s still for you and mom too! I want a place where the both of you can see golden fields, eat sweet grapes under the sun and drink wine not to combat the cold… I want the both of you to die of old age, not from the damn weather.”

“…” And Arne was silent too, as he still to this day very touched whenever his eldest thinks of everything for him and his wife.

“Besides, your grandkids would like to see their grandpa all the time!”

“Hahaha…” Arne chuckled at the last remark. “Huh… there’s no winning against you on this huh? Fine… we’ll sell the farmstead to highest bidder and move to this warm land you got!”

 

After that they cheered in celebration with cup of mead in their hands, celebrating love, union, reunion, and a new prospect of life.

Speaking of life…

 

“Geir!” Estryd, in her beautiful wedding dress came to Geir and his father with his mother.

“What’s wrong?” Geir asked.

“I didn’t want to tell you yet I am not really sure yet, but... your mot-”

“EHEM!” Hilda took offense.

“Mother… said that I should tell you now.”

“What is it?”

“I am pregnant.”

0