Tales from the Circondato Sea : When the Hills Were Pierced
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When a thunder claps everyone in the vicinity would be startled as expected, the roar of it that comes in an instant and left slowly would shiver anyone that stood it’s way.

It’s also a moment that can mean a lot, it can wake a person to be greeted by a stranger in their house, it can signal an attack for zealous warriors, taking it as a sign of God’s will, it can also mean a changing course of history, like how a butterfly that flaps its wings could lead to an unforeseen future.

There’s a certain thunder that came to down to peninsula called Marroia, where it would guide a certain kingdom of old to finally stand on its own.

That thunder, that clap, that butterfly that flaps its wing is Geir when he rescued a knight by the beach’s shores.

 

* * *

 

Rain was about to fall with gust of winds slowly bringing it all down to earth.

Geir, Estryd, Marco, Siasêr, and Maria, who joined recently in this merry band of travellers, are preparing themselves for the coming rainfall.

Marco and Maria was setting up the tent in the longship to cover their supplies from rain, Siasêr surprisingly wasn’t sleeping as instead she was helping Geir on navigating the ship, and Estryd was acting as their sentry for any kind of shores ahead of them.

 

Now on a land not far from the shores that Geir and the others are about to encounter, exist a certain knight that is running away from his enemies.

Clad in mail armor and still holding firm to his warhammer, he ran as fast as he could from his ensuing enemies that are intending to end his life.

But he was exhausted as his breath was becoming more and more narrow. He knew that his time is about to come, but.

Out of the forest, out of the wild and unorganized bushes he saw what it seemed as a end of hope. He saw the beach’s shores.

But that remains true as, though still far, still riding the ocean’s waves, Geir and the others are about to come.

 

“It’s… end of the line Lord de Arduno, please surrender...” A young knight demanded the knight’s surrender sheepishly.

“How many times have I said this, you’re sheepish nature won’t cut it in the battlefield, brother…” The knight said disappointingly.

“Well, why do you think Sancho is this sheepish, Jose?”  another knight in armor said so casually to Jose.

“Yes brother… do you think it was easy to have the thought that we might have killed you out there in the field?!!” And another knight lividly said.

“…” Jose went silent as he realized the pain the three knights, his three brothers are showing. “Sancho… Ordoñ… Afonso… Surrender is out of the question as my pride won’t allow it after all, so do what you must… COME AT ME!!!!”

The cry for battle Jose let out shook his three brothers and their men of war. All of them were conflicted, confused as what to do because Jose Enriquez de Arduno is their rightful lord and liege.

But what he is currently now in the eyes of their sovereign, is a traitor, a turncloak that abandoned his family and realm.

So, with a heavy heart all of them slowly advance and was about to fight their beloved lord to the death.

 

But suddenly a gust of wind shoved Jose’s brother and their men back, some even fall from that hurl.

Jose was confused of what just happen, but his mind was still steady, his guard and sword was still up and became more prepared for an unforeseen foe.

But it wasn’t a foe, it was an old friend.

 

“You finally did it huh…” It was Marco, slowly floating down to Jose’s side.

“Marco…” Jose was surprised.

“Jose!!!! Where are my letters…” And Siasêr excitedly greet Jose where right after she stare at straight to Jose’s face threateningly.

“What are you two doing here…”

“I see that your older brother is still the same aloof bastard!” Marco remarks. “Well, no point on dilly-dallying any longer!”

 

Marco then grabs Jose and began to levitate again, where brought him to Geir’s longship.

 

“Alright, LET’S GO!” Marco after putting Jose on the longship, hastely said it to Siasêr.

 

And Siasêr hearing the cue, talk in the tongues of the spirits to call upon the wind they held.

The wind came and blew a ghastly amount of air to the sail and sailed them all away.

 

“AFTER THEM!!” Afonso ordered.

“NO!” But Ordoñ said otherwise.

“Wait why brother?” Sancho asked.

“Do you both know who just saved Jose? Wait…. no that’s a stupid question, you both were still kids.” Ordoñ said realizingly.

“So, who was that?!” Afonso asked lividly.

“That was… Marco, a wandering mage to the masses, but a very dangerous person when you finally meet him.”

“And what exactly makes him dangerous?”

“A lot of things… but never mind that, just avoid Marco and his she-pixie at all costs!” There was fear between the lines, a genuine fright that Ordoñ has carried through out his life. “Let’s return to camp, we need to prepare for our brother’s coming counter-attack.”

 

* * *

 

Travelling through the river gave a certain serenity that Jose was in lack, it has been so long since he got a proper peace of mind.

But what’s more he has lack in getting, is a friend that he can trust.

 

“Again…” Jose asked while enjoying the calm view of the river. “Why are you both here? It’s not save here in Marroia!”

“Wow… no… hi Marco? How are you doing Siasêr? What’s that ring in both of your ring finger? Or even asking who the others are?” Marco said sarcastically.

“…” Jose wasn’t playing Marco’s game as he stared at him seriously.

“Okay… okay jeez… we’re here to help!”

“…” Again, Jose stare piercingly at Marco.

“For… a price.”

“But I’m not exactly hiring you, am I?”

“Kinda…? I’m kind of a packaged deal if you hire Geir-”

“The Stranger…” Jose slowly turn his gaze towards Geir. “Riches? Land? What exactly do you want Stranger?” Jose asked antagonistically.

“Gold and I’ll give you my expertise of warfare.” Geir said bluntly.

“Hmmm…. Fine, but know this Stranger, you are not welcome in Marroia!”

“JOSE!” Siasêr scoldingly said.

“No… it’s okay Siasêr, it’s a fair deal if the weight of the gold is right.”

 

Silence ensued after the conversation, it was… awkward to say the least. Marco was confused to what to say as Siasêr quietly scolded Jose, but it honestly didn’t deter Geir as it actually felt very familiar to him.

Back in the west the treatment of sell-swords are very much the same as how Erisgi treats hired swords.

The suspicion, the disgust, and the patronization is package that Geir, although hate to encounter, can endure. And Jose’s treatment is no different than the others Geir has taken.

 

The silence would eventually dissipate as Jose gave directions to the where his army’s camp is.

He led them in the front of the longship to where in manner of minutes, passing a couple of forests too, they would meet a huge army camping uphill.

 

“Wait… you weren’t routed back there?” Marco asked confusingly.

“My retinue and reinforcement were routed back there, but the main army? It’s awaiting my order here.” Jose said.

“But this isn’t enough, right?” Geir pointed out on why he was easily hired.

“…” Silence was given, but it was a clear yes for Geir as he knew it was Jose’s pride that didn’t let him talk.

 

Soon after that exchange of words, they docked at the nearest shore.

Geir, Marco, and Jose dragged the longship to land as Estryd and Maria would bring down their supplies. Those supplies would eventually be carry by Geir where they then embarked on a coupe of minutes of hiking to Jose’s camp.

 

The mood of the walk was… uneasy to say the least as the hostile nature Jose is exuding towards Geir is becoming more and more suffocating.

It became even more worse as when they finally arrive at the camp, greeted by many Jose’s men of war, Geir feel the pressure every increasing by the piercing stares.

But it would end soon as when they finally arrive at Jose’s tent, the strategy room, they would be greeted by young and old men of the future of Euskalia.

Jose introduce them to Geir and the others, vice versa too.

 

“Wait a second… You’re Marco the Magus of the West!!!!” The young general said excitingly. “Then the Gods are truly at our side!!!”

“Whoa… I don’t know if the Luhis should be at play here, but if its the change of history you’re seeking then this man is someone you should talk to.” Marco said as he directed the attention to Geir.

“I’m sorry but who is he?”

“He is Geir the Stranger, the meddlesome northerner that have been starting many noises here in Circondato! From saving the Princess of Syacus, busting a smuggling operating, and the latest, winning the Flower Tournaments.” Jose introduced.

“You’ve done your research.” Geir was impressed,

“Words travel quite fast with you Stranger, it’s uneasy to avoid your stories.”

“And he, as well as I if you all hire him, will be helping you in… what exactly?” Marco asking the right questions, what war exactly this war is.

“Gaining south of the Piedulce Mountains from the Lugrevars!” Jose said.

“Okay… now what exactly is making the Duke of Lugus help the Euskalians to achieve this? Because last time I came this far west, the Dukes of Lugus are loyal vassals to the King of Lugrevar.”

“It’s because-”

“It’s because of me.” A woman, short stature with beautiful brunette locks came to the camp. “Jose… I’m glad you’re safe!”

“I lost… the reinforcement Your Highness… we’re outnumbered if we meet them straightaway…” Jose said somberly.

“I’ve told you many times Jose…. Just call me Alasne….”

“Ohhh….” Marco caught on quickly what that means. “So that’s why! Didn’t knew you were aiming to become a king Jose!”

“NO!” Jose shockingly said to Marco. “And how many times do I have to invoke Aita sake’s, No!” Then he directed that reminding no to the important men of Euskalia in the room. “And…. No….” And the last no was a no full of dejection directed to Alasne.

 

The room’s atmosphere thickens as Marco knew in seconds he pushed Jose into a landmine that he have escaped many times. But it wasn’t what hurts Jose the most.

It was the reminder that he can’t unite in matrimony with the love of his life, Her Majesty Queen Alasne, as it would made the trust Alasne’s subjects has for her wane.

Jose knew this from the start, he knew the precarious nature of him even existing as Alasne’s right hand man. Because everyone knew their history, knew the love they have for each other, knew the yearn of union they have.

And that thought scares a lot of them as it would entail the pointlessness of this war for the south of the Piedulce Mountains. After all as it was a war of dominion, it was also a war of rights, a message to all would be invaders.

But the fact the Queen of Euskalia is in love and is intend to marry a non-Marroian. Everything they hope for a realm made by Marroian and ruled by Marroian, is slowly falling apart.

 

“I can’t marry her Marco, I can’t have that perfect married life you and Siasêr have. Her subjects already hated me being near her, I don’t need them to hate her.” Jose miserably said.

“So… why do you do this? You sacrificed being a Duke of Lugus, you sacrificed your place in Lugrevar, you even sacrificed your relationship with your family!” Marco pressingly said. “So… why would someone like you d-”

“Because he loves her Marco!” Geir chimed in.

“Well, but not to this extent!”

“It is exactly to this extent.” Geir pressed. “I know how you feel de Arduno, I know that feeling of being called upon to be your love one’s last line of defense, I know exactly that this is nothing compared to what you have believe in your life.”

 

Those words as Geir said them to Jose, struck very deeply to Estryd as she heard this.

She realizes that… she doesn’t know who Geir is.

 

“Especially of course the feeling of being an outsider, not welcomed in the court belonging to your love.” Geir comforted Jose, even though he was being subjected to that kind of treatment by Jose himself.

“You’re right… he’s right, that’s what I feel Marco and judge all you want, but I’m here as her support and the only one she can trust in her court because I love her, and knowing she loves me back is enough.” Jose said.

“…” Marco was conflicted, this is still his friend after all and seeing him becoming a mere knight that’s essentially exiled by his family and realm worries him.

“Also…” Jose rummaged through his bag. “Here!” A pile of letters was taken out and then given to Marco and Siasêr.

“Whoa…” Siasêr was surprised.

“Sorry for going silent for an entire year.”

“No… it’s okay, you were busy helping the love of your life after all.”

“Yes…” Jose proudly said.

 

* * *

 

As the misty night of the hills, they’re staying in, are setting in, Maria wonders through the camp.

She has always been curious on people of war, the people that would be clad in mail and scale who holds their swords, maces, and spears with pride.

And it was a curious and delightful sight, seeing men eating, drinking, and singing to their hometown songs.

She went along with some and felt the passion that the men have for the coming battle they are about to confront. It was the curious part as she knows that it would entail a possible death to them.

But she asked, they shrugged it off as they believe in this conquest, in this war for their Queen and their people.

 

Alice then bid them farewell and continue her stroll through the camp, but she would eventually hit a dead end in the form of Estryd.

She was… contemplating on something, her face, her gaze can be deciphered from a far by Maria who knows something is eating her.

 

“Something’s up?” Maria curiously asked while approaching Estryd.

“Maria? And yes… I guess so…” Estryd answered melancholically. “I wonder… what did you got from Geir when you both talk about your past?”

“Estryd…” Maria suspiciously asked.

“No! no… it’s not that kind of question, we’ve been on the ocean long enough for me to know you don’t see him that way.”

“Ahh… then to answer that… I guess… everything we have in common! Like our love for travel, our independence, and our somewhat neglectful mothers… haha…”

“Maybe also perhaps… past lovers?”

“…” Maria stared blankly to Estryd, but she soon realized Estryd wasn’t joking. “Wait you’re serious?”

“Mmm…” Estryd shrugged agreeingly.

“Well… no, cause I never have any lovers, I have many male friends, some are like Luca, but a majority became a brother to me!” Maria revealed.

“So, no-”

“No Estryd… for enfer sake… aren’t you both the same too? Shouldn’t it be easier for you to ask this himself?”

“Me? asking him about his past love? What am I teenager?”

“No… but a lot of the time you act like a love-struck teen whenever you’re near him.” Maria hit the nail.

“I DO NOT!” And Estryd deny it.

“Hmm….”

“I do not!” Estryd was trying so hard to convinced Maria otherwise.

“Estryd… I’m beginning to see a pattern, so what is exactly with you and your feelings?”

“There’s nothing wrong with my feelings…”

“Never said that, so I guess there is something wrong with your feelings!”

“THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH MY FEELINGS!!!” Estryd raised her voice.

“…” And Maria silently judged.

“Well I mean… I guess…”

“Go on…”

“I… I… I…”

“Oh, for Aita’s sake, you like Geir! But something is going on or…” Maria slowed down as she realized. “You’re scared…”

“I… I……” Estryd became depressed from that fact.

“What are you afraid of Estryd?”

“I… I’m scared of feeling rejected again, I’m scared that I’m not someone that is deserving of love…”

“That’s ridiculous!”

“Really? Cause I’m dreading everyday whether Geir would accept me, would see me as an equal, see me as someone that would be a partner not… a property, not like… you with Luca.”

“Ohh…”

“And I’ve seen many times with my friends, many times they became a mere property to their husbands. Like clipped bird.” Estryd shows her grievances. “But I’m more afraid of what Geir thought of this whole romance and love thing… cause I have a feeling there’s someone waiting in the west for him, someone even he is constantly thinking about… and I don’t want to raise my hopes to know that someone I’m loving won’t ever love me.”

 

Maria finally understands the conflict that’s in Estryd, the doubt, the fear, everything finally make sense.

But it’s futile to bottle this up as it is very harmful to oneself.

 

“You’re afraid, I get that… but this bottling you’re doing its torture! Estryd… as afraid as you are right now, it won’t compare to a future of what ifs, a future where you wish you could turn back time.” Maria pointed out.

“I… I know…” and Estryd reluctantly agrees.

“Maybe not now, maybe not tomorrow, definitely not tomorrow, but one day you have to tell your feelings to Geir.”

“And if my fears are true.”

“I don’t think they will as so far… I felt like an equal by Geir’s gaze, but a possible love he is still thinking about… there might be, but even then he would have mentioned it so long ago, especially back in Fiorire when I was clearing up about me and him to  you.”

“Haha…” Estryd chuckled. “Well… thanks Maria!”

“It’s okay, get some sleep now! Geir would want a farewell before he went to battle with Lord de Arduno and Marco.”

 

* * *

 

A rustling of mail, stenches of boiled blood, and clashing of swords… a weird and funny feeling that Geir has eerily missed.

 

“LEFT FLANK MOVEEE, DON’T LET THOSE COHORTS OF SERGEANTS OUT FLANK US!!!!” Jose on horse back yelled his order.

“ROLL OUT!” And Geir leading the left flank, carried out Jose’s order.

 

Slowly they march towards the cohorts of sergeants, slowly too they bring their vigor back from every step, and slowly too they would then pick up their pace and rush towards the sergeants.

And as they clash to exchange iron and steel with each other, Geir double-handing his axe and sword hack his way towards who he presumed as the captain of the cohort.

He chopped, he stabbed, and he became a formidable foe that no sergeant in that field could down.

When eventually Geir would confront the captain of the cohort, Geir duel him to the death where the sheer will and strength Geir possess would overwhelm the captain.

Yet… when Geir would finally crack the captain’s skull, Geir felt that he has taken a wrong step as he realized that he has gone behind enemy line.

So, he fastens himself, he readied to receive any attack from any direction. But thankfully help came when a burst vines sprouted and stab every man that was about to attack Geir from the ground.

It was in fact Marco who just saved him as he then continued sweeping the left flank with his magic of plants, of elementals, and even the sun itself.

Marco use the heat and brightness of the sun like a beam that melt many of the enemies’ armor, swords, and even their flesh.

It was a gruesome sight for Geir, yet again… a very familiar one.

 

“WE HAVE THEM BY THE ROPES, RIGHT FLANK ADVANCE!!!!!” Jose screamed another order as victory was at sight.

 

And with that… the battle was over, assured independence of Marroia for Marroians is on the horizon and… something feels off again.

Jose when counting and checking the captains and knights realized something was off…

Three men was short and one of them is his brother Ordoñ.

 

“If you’re wondering where our beloved brother Ordoñ is… then… hahaha….” Afonso mockingly laugh.

“Where… no…”

“Yes… you may have won the battle-”

“FUCKKKK”

 

Jose cussed and quickly ran to his horse and rally his horsemen.

 

“But our brother Ordoñ is winning the war.”

 

Jose didn’t have much time as he rally Geir and Marco too to ride with him back to the camp.

Marco already realized too what Afonso meant as he declined and offered Geir and Jose to teleport there instantly.

They agree and in a blink of an eye, they landed themselves on their camp being raided and burn.

 

“ESTRYD!!!!” Marco yelled for his sister.

“ALASNE!!!!” And Jose yelled for his beloved too.

 

It was a dire situation that requires them to split up their focus, but though it’s a trap to split up, Geir splits first as he saw Maria cornered by a couple of knights.

 

“YOU TWO GO AND FIND THEM, I’LL CATCH UP!!!” Geir in a hurry told loudly as he ran towards Maria.

 

And they finally split as Geir rushed with his axe and sword towards Maria, he lunged so quickly and powerfully that the first knight in Geir’s sight was propelled so hard to the ground that he shatters his spine.

Geir then proceeds to swing directly at another knight’s head where it cleanly chopped off.

But in that moment Geir didn’t realized another knight that was already in full swing about to slash him from the top to bottom. Thankfully he caught it quickly and blocked it with his arms that made the knights sword shatter.

Right there Geir was about to finish him quickly with a single blunt strike to the chest, trying to cave in the knight’s ribs, but that kill was stolen by Maria who with a dagger in his hand lunged it towards the neck of the knight.

Blood sprayed all over them and especially Maria where after the knight fell down on his knees.

 

“I… I… Killed hi-” And Maria proceeded to throw up. “Oh gods… that’s-”

“Normal? Yes! But I need you to stay focus Maria!” Geir affirmingly said. “And here!” Geir gave Maria his axe for protection. “Now do you know where Estryd and Her Highness is?”

Maria nod quickly and led Geir to the tent where Estryd and Alasne is, where throughout the way they passed a couple of other men of war and knights.

They would eventually be at the tent’s door step, but suddenly a scream was led out and Geir knew it was Alasne’s

Something suddenly awoken, a fear, an alarm, a panic, a… guilt came back from the past that made Geir went to berserk as he grabbed his axe back again from Maria and rushed into the tent.

Geir slaughtered many knights and footman that were in there, where he cut their throats, chopped their arms and heads, caved in the skulls and even crushed one their throat with the blunt side of Geir’s axe.

But that rampage eventually ends as… Alasne was grabbed as hostage but none other than Ordoñ.

 

“STOP! Or I’ll slit her throat… brother…” Ordoñ said begrudgingly.

“Brother… please… you don’t have to do this!” Jose not far from Geir said.

“Oh but I do!! I DO!!!! YOU HAVE LOST YOUR MIND BECAUSE OF THIS WOMAN!!!” Ordoñ cried. “I lost my brother to this petty queen…”

“Ordoñ… please don’t…”

“NO! You have to surrender, you have to eat your pride and return or I will kill her.”

“Ordoñ!!!!”

“I WANT TO HEAR IT.”

“…” Jose went silent, his pride was engulfing him, but his fear for the safety of Alasne is growing ever more.

But that decision wouldn’t need to be answered as Siasêr conjured a huge gust of wind that disorients Ordoñ enough to let go of Alasne.

Geir then saw the opportunity as he went in for the attack, parrying first the attack from Ordoñ and then with his sword, let blood pour from his chopped hand.

 

“Alasne!!” Jose went to hug and comfort Alasne.

“Jose…” Alasne embraced him.

“Brother…. why….” Ordoñ cried. “We love you… but you abandoned us… why….” And Ordoñ let loose of his tears, disappointed and saddened that his brother chose the woman of his life rather than his brother.

 

* * *

 

The war is over, Lugrevar has finally ended their dominion over the Marroians, and Jose… Jose the Piercer of the Surjus, has finally been recognize as a loyal knight of Euskalia and a loyal retainer of Her Royal Highness. Alasne, First of her name, Queen of Euskalia and of the Marroian.

 

The mood was still somber and the fact still remains for Jose, he abandoned his family, he abandoned his duties as Duke of Lugus, and he is still a foreigner to the Marroians.

It was still an uphill battle for him, a battle that he would still fought to his dying breath.

But for now… he and Alasne are paying their dues to Geir and giving farewells to an old friend, hoping also to meet them again one day.

 

“Where will you go now? Stranger…” Jose asked.

“Back to Syacus, that land I was awarded can finally be worked upon.” Geir answered.

“Wait… you’re doing this not for riches for the sake of riches?” Jose was stunned.

“Should’ve asked me first rather than judge me on the first meeting huh?” Geir smiled mischievously.

“Yes…”

“Well, if one day your prejudice would subside, I welcome you to the land I’m working on!”

 

It was quite a reveal for Jose, a lesson too for him. Because of that they exchanged a sincere handshake and a recognition of honor that lays in them.

 

Geir would never meet Jose ever again as Jose himself would never meet Geir too.

Their path is a path that is fixed to their demise, as they both have something in common.

Fighting to the death for their loved ones.

0