Chapter 2 Food Is Bad (Volume 2)
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been a week since Bottle fought against a cybernetic boy called Kasper and the kidnapping of Gesus.

 

Ironically enough he has been recovering in a bed right next to him.

 

The room was fairly neat and well lit, a surprise to find in Omega Sector.

 

This place was some sort of care facility no doubt, perhaps gang affiliated and yet Bottle didn’t leave his bed.

 

He was in essence, fully recovered, or at least as much as he could be.

 

A sharp pain still interrupts his movement, a mild hindrance at best.

 

There were two women who attended to them, the same pair which he saw at the end of the fight with Kasper. 

 

They were both tomboyish in nature, both sporting short hair, mini shorts, and some type of tactical gear with straps.

 

The one with light blue hair resembled Kasper, no doubt related, she appeared as caring as a mother would.

 

She had a puffy opened orange jacket, and wore some type of tank top underneath which Bottle greatly appreciated.

 

The other one with green hair seemed to be in command of the situation. 

 

Her hair was far messier rather than the bowl cut the blue one possessed.

 

She even carried two distinct gear, some type of special visor was tucked up on her forehead, she also possessed a large sports bag, which was half her size.

 

She had a countryside type of attitude as well as demeanor, but her authority was well displayed from interaction between the two. 

 

As for the names, the blue one was called Jasmine, while the green one was called Vicky.

 

“So’a Bottle man! Ready to leave now?” Vicky said with a bright smile across her face.

 

“Gun.” Bottle replied in a cold stone face.

 

“S’ure!” Vicky giggles a bit at the response as she goes to find the gun.

 

At the same time Jasmine who sat near them both jeered.

 

“HUH! VICKY! HE TRIED TO KILL KASPER! DON’T!”

 

Vicky slowly walked back nonchalantly, then handed the revolver back to Bottle.

 

Bottle felt the weight of his gun, and took a quick glance at, immediately he flicked his wrist and took aim at Kasper, intending to finish the job.

 

[BANG!]

 

As soon as Bottle squeezed the trigger, Vicky kicked away his bed, preventing his shot from hitting.

 

“He ha ha, this is the stuff!” Vicky seemed pleased as if Bottle matched all her expectations.

 

Vicky pointed a finger to Bottle, “Willing to talk now? Ya’ been mute to use for a week now! Or ya’ know? YOU COULD’VE LEFT BY NOW?!”

 

Bottle lowered his gun realizing that it wouldn’t work against the two of them.

 

His small mischievous action gained incredible insight on the two of them.

 

The first was the fact that the blue haired chick didn’t even react to his action, appearing as if she had full confidence in Vicky.

 

Most likely both of them were some type of SUPER-humans, the specifics of which he didn’t know.

 

The second reason… was far more frugal.

 

(Tisk) “You know what? Fine.” Bottle said, “You gave me some fruit bars for breakfast, lunch and dinner.”

 

(...)

 

There was a moment of silence from the room, both Jasmine and Vicky were waiting for Bottle to continue but quickly realized that was it.

 

Jasmine, who was standing by Kasper’s bed, raised her voice in anger, “HUH!? That was it?!”

 

Bottle leaned back, his stomach grumbling as he did. 

 

“You might not think much about food, but to me, good food… is worth dying for.” 

 

Both Vicky, and Jasmine were taken aback by this statement.

 

They both have experienced hard times themselves. 

 

Jasmine in the past would sometimes give her food to Kasper when they were younger, she would even get mad when Kasper declined to eat.

 

Vicky also remembers begging, fighting, and even had to humiliate herself for food, all for just crumbs or half a meal.

 

Neither of them thought much of it, even now while they were more well off, they never had an opportunity to eat something beyond mediocre. 

 

“You look around this city and there is not a single restaurant worth its price.” Bottle said.

 

“Soggy noodles, dull soup, dry meat. I’m tired of it all.”

 

“And if you think you can serve me some shity fruit bars and tell me to leave you are sorely mistaken.”

 

“Like hell, can you even cook?”

 

Jasmine’s eyes twitched with annoyance.

 

To Jasmine’s surprise Vicky kicked the bed Bottle rested on again, this time knocking him down onto the floor.

 

Vicky’s face changed as if the girl before had disappeared, her voice became colder and more serious as well.

 

“Oi, Bottle man, take that back!” She grabbed Bottle by the collar.

 

The term cook had long since changed in this day and age. 

 

In a way, no one could cook anymore, it was as if it was a dead term.

 

As automated factories would produce food paste, and other bland and boring attempts at creating real food.

 

Of course few people attempted to cook but nothing would ever taste as elegant and refined as… Food People.

 

Vicky herself was one of those few people.

 

“Take what ba-” [CRASH!]

 

Vicky threw Bottle onto the floor, as his gun had slipped from his hand. 

 

Vicky’s voice radiated with rage, “Do ya’ have any idea how to make those?! Of what it takes?”

 

Bottle struggled to get back up, but continued to raise his voice, “Can you even look me in the eyes and tell me it tastes good? Huh!”

 

Vicky was stunned, she wanted to say it, but couldn’t muster the strength.

 

No doubt she took pride in cooking even though she wasn't good at it. 

 

But everytime she would make the next batch or add a new ingredient she had hoped that it would be it. The Aha! Moment.

 

That moment never occurred.

 

Jasmine who was witnessing the entire event could feel Vicky’s sorrow.

 

She had seen and eaten the food that Vicky had made. 

 

Of course it was terrible but she could appreciate it.

 

Vicky yelled back, “FUCK YOU!” just before running out of the room she shielded her teary eyes.

 

Jasmine stood up reaching out for Vicky, “V-VICKY W-WAIT”

 

As Vicky disappeared, Jasmine who stayed looked angrily at Bottle, “What the hell is wrong with you?”

 

“She was the one who decided to help you, you know. Hell, you should be grateful for her!”

 

“So what?” Bottle replied, which shattered all of Jasmine’s hope that all of this was just an act.

 

Just then Jasmine managed to make eye contact with Bottle through his messy hair. 

 

Bottle made an effort to shield his eyes from others, opting for messy hair, an officer hat, and a pair of shades.

 

Most of which were unavailable due to his current predicament.

 

The reason for this was his almost pitch black eyes.

 

They carried no weight or life, rather it was daunting as if one were to gaze into a tunnel.

 

Jasmine shuddered at the sight, “Wh-wha…”

 

Jasmine tried to scramble for words, but felt as if she had nothing to say.

 

Bottle, who seemed unfazed by this went to pick up his revolver and clothes, or atleast what was left of it.

 

As Bottle walked out of the room, going towards the exit, whispering to himself as he does, he caught a glimpse of one of the rooms.

 

It was open, and he could hear faint crying from within. 

 

[CRASH!]

 

He barges in like the kool aid man with a straight kick to the door. 

 

The door slams open but the person inside doesn’t react.

 

Vicky had her head down in a fetal position, periodically she would give reluctant glares at Bottle.

 

The room that Bottle had just barged in was some sort of supply room with visible shelves and boxes laying about.

 

But beyond the supplies that had been stored here it was clear this place used to be some sort of makeshift kitchen. 

 

There was a portable gas stove as well as a coffee pot.

 

Bottle walked up to it and inspected the pot itself. 

 

And finally he spoke, “You know there was another like you.”

 

Vicky’s teary gaze was as piercing as an arrow, and yet Bottle never looked back as he could already imagine her expression.

 

“He was a shit cook, hell all he did was mix some MREs together and called it cooking.” (MRE Meal Ready-to-Eat)

 

“He was quite popular for it though, other squadmates would trade their food for his or something of that nature.”

 

Bottle tone changed, “But then the days came when there was nothing to eat. And quickly those days became weeks.”

 

“But then we stumbled upon it, a Cibus V1… a prototype of the Food serum.”

 

Vicky’s eyes widened with interest at the mention of Cibus, its tale was as legendary as the wars before it, only mentioned in archaic texts or military documents.

 

“It was clear no one wanted to be turned… Hell, I can still remember most of their faces.”

 

“Their eyes sank as far back as their stomachs. Their throats dipped up and down as they were all too nervous to speak.”

 

“It was inevitable but we started to fight each other to see who would be turned into… a food person.”

 

“Then… he volunteered…”

 

Vicky could notice Bottle’s hand visibly shaking as he set the coffee pot down.

 

From his back pocket he pulled out a cigarette and used the gas stove to light it.

 

(Huff~) “In our tired and exhausted state we barely… objected”

 

“We devoured him without a second thought…”

 

Vicky wiped her tears, but seemed uninterested in the story.

 

Trying to get back at him she boasted, “So’wa what?”

 

“D-did he’ at least taste good? I-I heard the original Cibus was unmatched in taste.”

 

“Hell, they sa’y you could taste more than one flavour. Like ice cream, pizza, an-”

 

Vicky was cut off by what Bottle said next, “Little did we know that the Cibus V1 we had had a major defect.”

 

(!?)

 

“His arms tasted like spoiled milk or rotten eggs. The body was no better than eating a rotting carus.”

 

“In fact… he was only partially turned into a Food Person.”

 

Bottle took a deep huff of his cigar, “And the worse part? His screams w-were… unforgettable to me even now.”

 

Vicky’s eyes seemed to widen in panic, her previous emotions seemed to have been utterly conquered by horrors of what Bottle had just said.

 

Vicky was utterly speechless, in fact she couldn’t even think of what to say.

 

Bottle stood up and headed for the door, his face was well hidden from the lighting of the room.

 

As he walked he continued, “you wanna know why I don’t eat trash food? Well there you have it.”

 

At the last moment, Bottle made eye contact with her. 

 

Vicky herself couldn’t see much due to Bottle’s sunglasses but noticed the faint light reflecting from a tear rolling down his cheek.

Vicky mocked Bottle one last time before he was about to leave, “S-sow that’s it… that’s why  y-your a piece of shit? Because you can’t get good food?”

 

A smirk can be seen ever so slightly on Bottle’s face, “...Yeah”

 

Vicky’s face lit up, she started to giggle.

 

(Step) (Step) (Step)

 

Bottle walked away, his steps echoed throughout the hallway.

 

From behind him all he could hear laughing, but didn’t mind.

 

A week has passed, and Gesus hasn't returned.

 

It was gonna be a long day or so he thought, to find Gesus that is.

 

Little did he know it would take a lot longer than anyone could have imagined.

0