18th Log – Lucy Godfrey
25 5 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
 
 
Although Lucy tried to prevent Zoe and Roman from collaborating, there was nothing she could do. This was Zoe's solution to the situation, and her crazy niece had shown how serious he was by murdering the entire city. She wondered why Roman had called Zoe the Noble Slayer, but now wasn't the time to ask that, she thought.
 
Although his goal was to lure Lucy in, Roman was grateful to hear that Zoe would join him. He thought that maybe it was good for me that she lost her memory. She wouldn't have been persuaded to work with me otherwise... Although his former strength is gone, her ambition is promising.
 
On the other hand, Zoe understood that although she wanted to kill Roman for the things he did in the city, she was not in the capacity to do it right now. It was the only way she could think of to save the others. She thought, Roman definitely had something to do with me being thrown here, and if I stay close, I can figure out what kind of ties he has to Cain.
 
“Well?” said Zoe, breaking the silence. “What are we going to do now, Roman Godfrey? Didn't you say you were in a hurry?" Zoe was speaking because she wanted to get this maniac out of there before he changed her mind again.
 
Roman, who seemed impressed by Zoe's enthusiasm, cheered. He turned to Lucy and began to speak. “We need to clear the Dungeon before we can get out of here. For this, we must get permission from my aunt.”
 
Lucy was taken aback. “What do you mean, Roman? What do I have to do with the Dungeon?”
 
Roman slapped his forehead with the palm of his hand, “Oh, of course!” he said. “This spell was cast after you were thrown here. The main purpose of this spell was not to keep you locked up here. My father had cast this spell so that your fortune would be ready when you finished your time here and returned.”
 
Lucy was suddenly enraged. “What are you saying, Roman? Who would ever want something like that from my vile brother? I'll never accept!” Lucy shouted, surprising everyone else. No one had ever seen her lose her cool like this before.
 
Looking exasperated, Roman spoke. “You know my father, he likes to do things on his own terms. Everyone should live according to his ideals… But orders are orders. That's why we need your permission." Throwing his cloak, Roman's eyes were tired of family dramas.
 
Zoe, who was studying Roman, thought perhaps that was the reason he needed Lucy's help. Roman seems to have problems with his father. But, Zoe couldn't help but wonder what it meant for Lucy to suddenly and violently snapped because of this situation.
 
Brad and Flo, who were sitting in a corner as they were both injured, watched silently. They were overwhelmed by a series of events including Dan's death, Roman's murder of the entire Araf population, Lucy's revelation as a Godfrey, and Zoe being dubbed the "Noble Slayer". They didn't really want Zoe to be collaborating with this guy. But in this case, there was nothing they could do.
 
“So all these people were thrown in here for me?” said Lucy. She fell to the ground, feeling defeated. She continued to speak, revealing how hateful she was in her voice, “That's my brother's fucking sense of humor. Fucking sadistic psychopathic sense of humor.”
 
"Don't be like this Aunt Lucy," said Roman, trying to reassure her. He came and sat next to Lucy. “Even if these people were not thrown here, they would have been killed somewhere anyway. Couldn't Dad have just thought of giving you a gift?"
 
"Hahaha? Your father? My psycho brother? If I know him even a little, I'm 100% sure he did it just to torture me. I don't want a penny from him! I don't want anything from that Dungeon either." Lucy took her head between her hands and looked around. She was trying to calm down. Even after all these years, her older brother could still hurt her.
 
Everyone had gone silent. Only the sounds of fire crackling could be heard. Brad and Flo also wanted to ask Lucy questions about her past. But in the current situation, it was clearly obvious that this would seem very inappropriate. Zoe didn't want to get into the conversation. If Lucy didn't want to tell her past that was her choice, she thought. She believed that the events now were centered around her, rather than around us.
 
Lifting her head from her hands, Lucy's eyes fell on Zoe. Then she looked at Brad and Lucy, respectively. She was aware of Dan's absence and looking at Brad's arm that was missing, she more or less understood what had happened. Why didn't I go with them? she thought. She glanced at the burning city around her. The city she built with her own hands. It was just a pile of rubble now.
 
Lucy looked around. She was defeated by the sight of dozens of lifeless bodies on the ground, the complete destruction of the city, Dan's death, Brad's injured arm, and Flo's wound. So it was all for me, huh? All the people I'm trying to save… I can't give up. I can't!... I will not be defeated by my brother.
 
Lucy, who seemed to have thought of something, stood up. “I can more or less guess why you came here to take me out, Roman. But it's not time for me to come back. If my brother sent you here, you can also tell him to fuck off.”
 
Roman stood up after Lucy. He was trying to say, "You misunderst…" when Lucy silenced him with a gesture. Then she continued speaking with a stern look.
 
“As for Dungeon…” said Lucy, walking over to Zoe and holding her by the shoulders. "I, Lucy Godfrey, want Zoe to take everything I'm entitled to." Lucy, who silenced Roman, who was trying to talk again, this time with just her eyes, continued. “If this Dungeon is enriched with the souls of those here, its loot must belong to someone from here. This is my last word."
 
Roman could not go against his Aunt's will. He realized that his aunt's gaze was a clear indication that he had hurt her enough for the day, and if he continued, she would likely retaliate. He didn't want to push his luck any further.
 
Zoe understood the situation very clearly and did not object to Lucy's request. Obviously, something happened a long time ago and Lucy was imprisoned here. Now she does not accept any help from her family. So, she had deduced from Lucy's words that she would stay in the Abyss, and that was the only thing that bothered her. Still, she has her reasons, and if she doesn't want to tell us, it's not my place to force her, she thought to herself and kept her silence.
 
"Then let's go now." ' said Roman, clearly impatient. “We have work to do.” He was inviting Zoe to his side with his eyes.
 
Lucy turned to him and motioned with her hand to calm down. “Will you excuse us for a moment? There are things I want to talk to them about before they go.” Looking exasperated, Roman said "Okay" and walked away.
 
Lucy, facing Zoe, Brad, and Flo, began to speak. “First of all, I'm sorry for hiding this from you. As you can understand I am Lucy Godfrey. I hid this because I was trying to avoid it. It was not my intention to mislead you.”
 
Flo tapped Lucy's shoulder and began to speak. “You don't have to tell us anything, Lucy. What happened here is not your fault. Don't feel guilty." She pointed to Roman with her head, “That bastard was right about one thing. If it wasn't for the Abyss, we would have been thrown elsewhere. So it's not your fault we were thrown here."
 
Brad and Zoe also nodded in agreement with what Flo had said. Even though Lucy knew Flo was right, she couldn't accept the situation. She knew very well that her brother was doing this just to hurt her. Looking at Zoe and thinking that loot would go to her, she thought she was getting at least a small revenge on her brother.
 
Starting to speak again, Lucy tapped Brad and Zoe in turn. “Dan…” she said, then she fell silent. She cleared her throat and continued speaking. “...I wish I had come with you. I knew how dangerous the Hadrian bastard was.” Silent again, Lucy said, "I couldn't save Dan…" and glanced around the city, "... nor those in Araf."
 
“It wasn't your fault. We knew what we were going into.” ' Brad said, trying to grab his now-displaced arm with one hand. It was obvious that he was trying not to cry. He looked like he was trying to stay strong.
 
“He suddenly jumped on us. Sorry, Lucy, I couldn't save him either," said Zoe. She, too, blamed herself for what had happened to Dan. "Even if you had come, he still could have taken us by surprise like that."
 
Flo, who had been waiting impatiently to interject, finally spoke up, unable to keep silent any longer. "You'll talk about all that later." she said, pointing with her head to where Roman was, “What are we going to do about this man? How can you hide that you're a Godfrey from us, Lucy? We thought you were someone thrown in here too.”
 
"I am sad. I was thrown here too, but my brother, who liked to torture me, made sure that I would not die when he threw me here.” Here Lucy was silent for a moment, swallowing. Even after many years, the pain of this wound was still fresh. “As for the novel issue, there is nothing we can do right now. And it looks like he'll let you go upstairs, too."
 
Flo spoke with anger in her voice. "What about you, Lucy? Will you be left alone in this disaster? Why don't you come with us?"
 
Lucy spoke very clearly. "I can't do it. Not yet."
 
“But why?” Flo said in a disappointed voice.
 
"It's not time yet," Lucy said in a tone that she didn't want to talk about.
 
Flo tried to speak up again but managed to hold back. A solemn silence descended upon them. They were leaving the Abyss, but the cost was high: the loss of familiar faces they had known for years, the destruction of Araf which was their home, and now the sadness of leaving Lucy behind.
 
It was Lucy who broke the silence again, calling Zoe over to her. She was speaking with her voice very low. She seemed to be saying things that Roman, standing a little far away and looking bored, shouldn't have heard. “I'm not comfortable with you going with this maniac. I don't even wanna know what plans he has but run away when you get the chance,” Lucy whispered.
 
Zoe spoke in a serious tone to Lucy, keeping her voice low. "I can see that he is a maniac, but this is what I had to do. Anyway, based on what that guy said, it seems like my being thrown into the Abyss has something to do with him."
 
Flo and Brad looked surprised by what they heard, but Lucy more or less understood that this was the case. She knew her family intimately, after all. "You saw what he did here today. Take care of yourself and go to Rust Town in the Badlands whenever you can. Find Denise and tell them I sent you; Denise will help you.” She was just about to continue when she noticed Roman approaching them and stopped.
 
"I guess that was enough for saying goodbyes?" said Roman sarcastically. Even he himself seemed surprised that he had been so patient. He took one look at Zoe and motioned for her to come. He activated his magic again, creating a sled of stone.
 
Zoe hugged Lucy, whispered in her ear "I'll do as you say... Lucy Godfrey," and then broke the embrace. She said, "It was nice knowing you," and headed towards the sled with a clear voice. "Brad and Flo will come with us. That was one of my conditions, remember."
 
Roman laughed aloud. "You are truly a unique person. It looks like we're going to have a lot of fun with you. Well, come on then," he invited them with a gesture of his hand. Focusing his magic, he made the sled even larger.
 
Brad said goodbye to Lucy with a hug. The two didn't speak. Brad seemed to be holding back from crying and finally couldn't help himself. Finally, he thanked Lucy for everything. Lucy, with tears in her eyes, also thanked him.
 
With tears still flowing from his eyes, Brad came and took his place on the sled. He and Zoe stood behind Roman. Zoe tapped Brad's shoulder and comforted him. It was her way of saying everything would be okay.
 
Flo took a few steps towards the sled, but then stopped. She went back to Lucy and said, "You go. The barrier will be broken soon, and I can go up anytime I want."
 
Just as Lucy was vehemently saying, “No, Flo, you go with them,” an enraged Flo interrupts.
 
“I'm free to do what I want, right? I will stay here. I didn't have the heart to leave you here alone." she smiled bitterly.
 
"Well then." said Roman, "Do as you wish!" He didn't really care who came and who didn't.
 
“Hey Zoe!” yelled Flo, who decided to stay behind.
 
“Yeah?” Zoe replied.
 
“Go and turn the world upside down!”
 
Looking up and smiling, Zoe spoke in a confident tone. “You bet i will!”
 
Then the stone sled launched forward, hurtling toward the Dungeon at breakneck speed. They left the Araf behind in a frenzied cloud of dust. Flo and Lucy waved goodbye until they vanished into the horizon. Zoe and Brad watched behind until the last glimmer of light disappeared and all that remained was an ominous smoky haze blanketing the Araf, engulfed in roiling flames.
0