Chapter 4.4 – Demon Knight
39 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nedoma slowly crept back into the building, his hand turning a shade of pink as it tightly gripped his sword. With his free hand against the wall, he descends down the steps again, the darkness feeling much more foreboding than the first time. Yet try as he might, there is nothing to hear. The eerie feeling of a silent night runs travels through his bones. The wall appeared to have returned itself to its old position, hiding whatever light that should have been behind it.

After standing for a few minutes in front of the wall, it showed no hint of movement. Well, that's what walls are supposed to be like he thought to himself. I wonder if the jewel had something to do with it? He slowly pulls out his necklace once more, holding it in front of the wall. Yet still, no reaction. He began swinging it side to side, acting as if the wall were some sort of animal that would leap out and chomp on the jewel. Seeing that his attempts were bearing no fruit, he began to think back to what exactly he was doing in the darkness before the wall began to move. I was just...holding it wasn't I? Maybe rubbing it? He held the jewel in front of him, and began to rub it once more as he stared at the wall.

You know, it looks pretty incredible when you aren't running for your life was the only thought that came to mind as Nedoma watched a familiar and still unnerving scene begin to replay itself. He took a few short steps back as he watched the light begin to spread across the filling of the blocks that made up the wall. It slowly stretched open, giving the familiar feeling one would have looking at a regular door. As the grinding of rock against rock completed its tune, there in front of him stood an open entrance to what appeared as another room.

Even before stepping inside, it becomes readily apparent that this room must have not been accessed in quite some time. Not being burglarized and stripped bare were evidence of that. The shelves were filled with an assortment of different items and things, Nedoma not even sure of what some of them were. A distinguished looking desk occupied one side of the room, giving off a feeling of authority. Opposite from it were three small and basic desks, which caused the entire arrangement to take on the appearance of a miniature classroom.

What drew his attention the most though, was the lighting. What allowed him to see inside of the room was above his head, literally. In the center, hanging from the ceiling, appeared to be some sort of fixture which seemed to hold what Nedoma figured must be some kind of magical looking rock that gave off light. There was a similar rock placed near the entrance, although this one appeared to glow far less brightly than its siblings. As he picked it up the stone, his heart nearly burst as the sound of the door shifting played out once more. Someone else there?! Nedoma spun around prepared to apologize for intruding, only to be greeted with a piece of paper hanging from the now sealed entrance. “Yup. That paper was definitely there when I came in. Silly me, I must have missed it! D-definitely nobody put that there just now. Ha haaaa....” his voice trailed off as he went to read it.

“Greetings Pardi, I hope your trip to Luton went without issues. Thanks for coming to watch over the guild on such short notice. I doubt you'll get any visitors since there really aren't many Demon Knights down here anymore, but I figured I'd like to have someone to watch over all the stuff! If any new beginners do come, look for the largest copy of 'Beginner Basics' on the bookshelf and use that to start them off. There's a diagram that I quickly made on my desk with details on where some of the things needed for the lessons can be found. While you're here you should check to see if the copy you wrote is up to date, I'm sure some things were updated since you were last here.

I'll be back from my conference in the capital by the eighteenth. Hopefully everything goes well there... I'll bring back some souvenirs for you and your summon.

Regards,

Zin”

0