Chapter 7.1 – Beginner
27 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a certain squeal that reverberated from the forest that caused Nedoma to finally draw his sword from the sheathe. After a brief pause, Nedoma recognized that the source must have not been immediately close by and decided to pursue the noise into the forest. As he drew closer, the squeals had seemed to grow more panicked, no doubt as a result of the familiar tone of incomprehensible chatter that could now be heard as well.

Nedoma did his best to try and sneak up on the group as he drew closer. A single Softskin boar was attempting to fend off a group of four goblins. It's blood soaked fur and shaky footing revealing the dire position it found itself in. Of the four goblins, one of them had the same size as the other goblins Nedoma had fought before, the other three seemed noticeably smaller. The largest one held a crude spear, it's tip dripping red, while the smaller three goblins each seemed to hold small hatchets, one of which appeared to have scored a hit as well.

The large goblin seemed to shout some kind of order as the three small goblins started walking towards the boar, egging them on. As they began to approach the boar, it made it's last move in a desperate charge towards one of the goblins. A faint glow seemed to surround its tusks for a brief moment as it rammed into the goblin. With a flick of its head, the pointed tips of the boar punctured into the goblin's head, it's brief screams quickly drowned out in a gurgle, and then utter silence. The large goblin seemed unimpressed, as it started point its weapon toward the remaining goblins and then the boar. The two goblins hesitated before pouncing on the boar, repeatedly hacking away at it as the boar wailed and the large goblin watched, seemingly satisfied with their work.

Nedoma took the opportunity of the distracted prey and did his best to make his approach from behind. He slowly crept up, his sword raised and shield ready, only for his plan to be ruined by his accidentally knocking of his shield against a tree. The goblin turned its head towards the sound to be greeted with a charging human running right at it. With a primitive war-cry to alert the others, it swiftly moved the spear in its hands towards Nedoma and attempted to greet him with a thrust. Nedoma used his shield to glance the blow, and with a quick swing nearly split the goblin's head in two.

Nedoma looked towards the last two goblins, whose backs were up against the collapsed groaning boar, cowering in fear. As he approached them, one of them seemed to find a glimpse of courage as it stood up, shaking as it held onto its hatchet. But with no further movement on its part, a quick slash across the neck was all it took from Nedoma to bring an end to its trembling. The remaining goblin at witnessing this, began to squeal uncontrollably as it dropped its hatchet and covered its eyes with its hands. The display in front of Nedoma made him hesitate, as something in this apparent defenseless creature caused him to feel pity. It was only by the now faint sound of the boar's dying groans that seemed to snap him back into reality. After another slash, the goblin's wailing stopped, leaving only the boar making any noise.

With three dead goblins all around it, the boar had quieted down greatly, only offering a soft snort every few seconds as indication that it still wasn't finished yet. With one final downward thrust, the boar's body shivered, before finally relaxing completely.

Nedoma looked at the scene around him, before his legs finally gave way and he collapsed onto the ground. As he lay on his back, he let out a large breath while shaking his head, still in disbelief after his first fight after becoming an official adventurer. He let himself relax for a brief moment before he stood up to collect his reward. With four severed goblin ears in hand, Nedoma dropped them into his satchel for storage.

He then faced the boar, not entirely certain of what he should do with it. It's definitely to big to drag around with me...and I don't plan on going back to Luton just yet... He first wiped his sword against the fur, seeking to clean it somewhat. Nedoma then decided to remove the tusks and the snout first. Using one of the hatchets he picked up off the ground, it took several cuts before he was able to remove all three and place them in his satchel. He then did his best to remove some meat for himself to eat later, as well as keeping the best of the hatchets. That handles my food problem for now...now to get water somehow. Nedoma eyed the boar for a moment, wondering whether he had to resort to the possible ideas that came to mind. “Hmm, maybe not now.” Nedoma said aloud.

Thinking himself ready to move out, Nedoma began to walk away before remembering one last thing he needed to do. “By the Judgement of Libra, salvage the power of evils past and grant me their strength, Absorb Evil!” A brief glimpse of cold was Nedoma's reward, who was surprised that the death of these five creatures yielded far less than when he had used the skill back in Luton. As he moves out of the forest and back towards the main road, Nedoma finds himself thinking about the last goblin.

1