Chapter 7.3 – Beginner
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The goblin had already begun to wind its arm back for a follow up swing. Nedoma twisted as he swung his shield to his left, intercepting the goblin's next attack and sending it flying a short distance away. With his attention now away from them, the goblins which had been stuck in the doorway took advantage of this new opening. The closest one lunged at Nedoma's sword arm and attempted to bring him down. In the ensuing struggle, Nedoma felt the sword leaving his grip as he stumbled back towards the corner of the room.

Nedoma could see the other two brandishing his dropped sword and a hatchet as they approached him. “Damnit!” Out of desperation, he swung his arm at the wall next to him, trying to knock the goblin loose. After the third slam, the goblin finally loosened its grip. Nedoma immediately seized the opportunity to drive the edge of his shield into it's body, hammering it into the wall as though it were a nail. The hatchet wielding goblin was about to make its next attack when it was interrupted by its friend. The sword-wielding goblin nearly hit its partner as it made a wide slash. The sound of sword scraping on shield could be heard as the other goblin jumped back to avoid it.

It did not seem to appreciate the near friendly fire, as it turned to the other goblin and began to point at it while yelling something. Nedoma used the brief lapse to finish off the goblin at his feet, thrusting downwards with the tip of his shield into the goblin's head. With a sizable and bloody dent now etched into its skull, it lay motionless as Nedoma turned his attention back to the other two. After coming to some form of agreement, the two goblins pressed the attack once more. A series of swings and stabs came at Nedoma, who continuously blocked from his position. With no realistic way of flanking him, the battle was currently in a stalemate.

But Nedoma knew that wouldn't last forever. If he just stood here and continued to shoulder the blows, his shield could eventually break from under the damage, leaving him defenseless. Alternatively, if more goblin reinforcements came in, especially one like the mage he had fought before becoming an adventurer, a weaponless Nedoma would stand no chance. He knew he had to go on the offensive.

To the goblins, it seemed like their victory was inevitable. Their cowering prey was cornered and had no weapon, and once his shield was broken they would butcher him into pieces for having killed their fellow brethren. They would share his meat with the rest of the tribe to celebrate their kill. Their supplies of meat had slowly dwindled since their 'arrival' at this village. With most of the spoils and tribe having returned to their main base, what remained for the rest of them had paled in comparison and nearly been depleted. With a recent lack of adventurers to pray on, this fresh body would be quite the succulent reward.

The hatchet had just hit Nedoma's shield when the sword wielding goblin had begun to prepare to stab once more. “THERE!” Nedoma shouted as he leaped forward from where he had been holding. He sprung towards the stabbing goblin with his shield held in front, ramming into it and knocking it back and onto the floor. Nedoma continued his assault, running on top of it and pinning its wrist with his foot as it began to struggle underneath his weight. With one arm attached to his shield and the other gripping its top, Nedoma used both to hammer it's point at the bottom down into the goblin. As he landed the decisive blow, he felt a strike against his back. But after the initial shock of being hit he realized that his armor had protected him from the blow.

Nedoma picked up his sword as he turned to face the final goblin. He was surprised to see it running towards the window. As it pulled itself through the opening, it would have dropped onto the ground outside if Nedoma had not managed to catch it by the foot. The goblin screamed as it slowly was pulled back into the room, desperately trying to use the outer wall and then the window itself as it resisted capture. The hatchet it held having been abandoned as it tried to use both hands to climb the wall down as a means of escape. The attempt at kicking Nedoma's hands with its free foot only led to him catching the second foot as well. With both feet firmly in his grasp, he dragged the terrified goblin back inside.

It flailed about desperately, doing everything it could possibly think of. Kicking, Clawing. Trying to squirm its way out. But by the end when Nedoma raised his sword above the goblin pinned under his shield, there was nothing it could do. The goblin shut its eyes as tightly it could manage as it quivered in place, before being pierced by the sword. With a final gasp of pain, the room finally returned to silence.

0