Chapter 3.1 – Survivor
30 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Its so comfy... As Nedoma lay still, the comforting feeling on his back contrasts with the fatigue that has taken root within his body. He slowly opens his eyes, expecting to be blasted with sunlight coming through the window as he normally would in the mornings, but is met with no such annoyance. Instead, his eyes bare witness to a painted white ceiling bathed in an orange hue, which far surpasses the dull wood color that he had grown accustomed to. The different color captivates him for a brief moment, when suddenly the wall of grogginess that held back his most recent memories caved in. Jana!

Nedoma sits up to look around, feeling a slight twinge of pain on his side. This is definitely not my room.. Looking around, he sees what was the cause of the orange hue on the ceiling. Lanterns placed along the walls extinguish the darkness in their immediate vicinity. He now realizes that he is not alone. Numerous beds lie in rows spanning across the room from wall to wall. Some of them with occupants laying still as Nedoma had just been, others with patients sitting up. Even more curious are the people dressed in robes holding staves. One in particular stands next to a bed with a figure that looks like a priest behind him. He raises his hand towards the man lying in the bed, and begins to chant.

“Merciful Mortae, Upon this life I ask for your blessing, and request for his body restored, Recover!” With the final word uttered from this incantation, the patient briefly seemed to glow with a slightly yellow tinge, before quickly dimming. The body relaxes, as though a large weight had been lifted off of it. The priest pats the robed figure on the shoulder while he nods his head, the staff wielding man seemed excited at this symbol of affirmation.

Nedoma remembered his injuries and took a closer look at his own condition. The burned clothing was nowhere to be seen, instead a very plain shirt and pants are in their place. But although new clothing can be bought, the scars that adorn his right hand, and likely the rest of his right side are not so easily replaced. The burned parts look completely different to where I hadn't been hit. The slight twinges of pain he felt when he got up must have been from the clothing rubbing over the scars. A startling thought appears, and with great hesitance, he lifts his hand up to his cheek, and feels another slight glimpse of pain. Even his face was coated in these marks. I wonder what I look like now. Is my face still one that can be loved?

Standing up, Nedoma begins to look around for Jana among all the beds. As he continues to pace through the rows with no sign of her, he begins to worry. As he was searching, a woman wearing robes walked up to him.

“Excuse me sir, is everything alright?” She peers up at Nedoma with a curious look, one that reveals her uncertainty as to the mental and physical state of the man in front of her.

“Hello. Yes, I uh, um, I'm looking for someone.” Oh man, I'm getting choked up. “A-actually, two people. They should have, a-rrived with me?” Her face seems to briefly resist changing it's expression before darkening.

“I might know who you are talking about...please follow me.” She tilts her head with a signal to follow her as she turns around and begins walking. Nedoma follows through the exit of the large room and proceeds down a short hallway. As they arrive in front of a door, a noticeable stench hits him. Oh no. As she opens the door, there in the room lie multiple bodies, flat on the floor. Nononono. The woman extends her hand towards the two on the far left, and with a regretful look, begins to ask “Are they..” before cutting herself off at seeing the man's expression.

Nedoma feels tears immediately well up in his eyes. Amidst a whirlwind of emotions, he is shocked when he lets out a small chuckle. “H-...how come they're over here?” He looks up at the woman, with a pleading look. “Shouldn't they be in the other room, getting treated?” All she can do is slightly shake her head in response to his question as Nedoma sinks to his knees. As he covers his face with his hands and begins to sob, he feels a gentle touch on his shoulder. In between his own sniveling he can make out a soft “I'm sorry” before the hand is removed. He tries to force himself to regain composure, struggling to do so. “Wha-, what will happen to them?”

“They are going to be burned in accordance with our church's teachings. We will be burning them tomorrow afternoon, in the courtyard at the center of this complex. Anyone is welcome to attend...many find it helpful.” she adds the last remark as enticement.

“Thank you. Is it, is it alright if I stay here with them a little longer?” Nedoma looks up at her with a questioning look. His puffy, tear and scar covered face make quite the expression.

The woman gives a slight smile. “Sure.” As she leaves the room, she closes the door behind her and leaves Nedoma alone with the bodies. A woman with the remnants of a blast of fire in her midsection, laying next to a completely burned woman. These images match what Nedoma last remembers seeing of them. As he continues to sob more, he thinks about the promises he had made to Jana and what had become of them. We were supposed to be adventurers. But now, it's only me... As he thinks about how tomorrow would be the last time he ever sees them, or perhaps what remains of them, he decides he wants to take something to remember them by. He tears off a small piece of fabric from Jana's clothing that looked relatively clean. He looks to do something similar for Emi, but in actuality there are no unburnt pieces that remain in her clothes. All that can be done is to settle for a small portion that seems the least burnt. With both these pieces in hand, he ties both of their ends in a knot around the other and places the bracelet-shaped cloth in the pocket of his pants.

Standing up and walking to the door, Nedoma utters a solemn “See you tomorrow,” before leaving the room. After heading back to the bed he had previously found himself in, he is surprised to see his belongings on the bed. A sword and sack lay together, sitting on top of the bed's blanket which is neatly folded as if no one had been there. I guess that's a hint that if I'm feeling better I should go. My things are here, but what happened to Emi's staff? Or even, a twinge of anger hits Nedoma, that goblin's staff? Nedoma shakes his head. I am being greedy inside of a church. I should be greatful someone even saved me. Actually...I wonder who it was that rescued me? Nedoma had forgotten to ask. He looks around to find the woman from before, but is unable to spot her. As he spots a more official looking priest standing next to what appears to be an exit, he heads over to ask him.

1