Interlude : Heartbreak back home
120 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Miss Lain, miss lain, wake up it's almost closing time]

[mmm....hhaaaahhhhnnnn...chup chup...yea yea...make my stuff for me please Claire]

[Hai Hai! Mam!]

Today was an especially awful day, or more like a holiday, today marked an awful day every year.

It was on this day that the sister whom I cherished the most in this world suddenly vanished

I wonder what sis would do in my shoes...

jeez... sis why did you go and disappear like that?

where are you?

...

As I leave the police office, my assistant follows behind me with my back in her hands

Today marks the fifth anniversary of her disappearance.

I joined the police academy in order to become a detective, I thought if I had the state's resources with me I could figure out the mystery behind sis's vanishment.

I just wanted some sort of or any kind of closure, was she dead? did she leave us? did someone kidnap her? just what the hell happened to her?

Everyone saw her at the graduation ceremony, I mean I was with her in the hall. She just went out to the toilet and after that she just...

I searched the entire campus, I left no spot in the entire city unchecked, but she was nowhere to be found.

The police checked all the trains, and airplanes that went out from the city the whole week, and nobody resembling her even came into the picture. They even checked in at the toll stations in case she left the city by car but still there was no luck.

It was literally like magic

She was just gone

puff! like vanished from existence.

At the time I thought the police were not doing everything they could to find her, thus I myself joined the force, climbed the rank, and became a senior detective. But even with all that the progress was null.

Our parents had already given up on the hope of ever finding her and are trying to move on.

I also know that's the best thing to do, but I can't help but despise them for moving on so quickly.

Everyone has told me to move on, I also know that I should in fact do just that but in the end, I simply couldn't

I mean she was my dear sister, my very own, my first best friend. How can I just give up so easily without trying everything single thing possible?

haaahhh, fuck! Today's especially a rough day. All these negative thoughts just swirl inside me all day long on this day.

Holding the heavy baggage of emotions, me and my assistant make our way to a special place

The graveyard.

My parents had already declared her dead, it helped them with their own closure.

As I stand across from her fake grave, I see several flowers lying on top and letters lying on top.

So much love for her here, her college friends still coming here to give their prayers. 

But I still can't help but hate them for thinking she's dead.

Anger boils up inside me, pain pulses through my body as my nails dig deep into my palms.

Suddenly a hand comes up and rests on my trembling shoulders

[Miss Laine...it's alright. We will find her, together. Right?]

Now I'm making even Claire worry, I know she's just playing along with my delusions, she's had a kind heart after all. I also know why she's so kind and understanding to me, after all, she confessed to me a year ago but it was me who couldn't give back.

I mean how could I settle down and start enjoying my life while my sis is still maybe somewhere out there?

This single thought always keeps bugging me in the back of my head

Constantly reminding me of my failure.

I should have never let her go to the bathroom alone.

I should have never let her leave the hall alone.

I always stayed with her, so why did I decide to let her go alone that one time?

haahhh...even the tears don't come out anymore. I guess I have already used all my life's supplies by now.

...

...

...

After the visit to the grave, Claire takes me to the local Chinese shop for some fried rice.

As we wait for our meal to arrive, I chug down the third beer can.

[*gulp* *gulp* *gulp* KHHEEEEHHHHH!!! Claire, you are too good for a delusional freak me. You should find someone else already]

In response to my blabbering, she speaks clearly, with no alcohol in sight near her.

[Again as I have said for the millionth time already, the answer is NO]

[hehehehe, maybe you are more of a freak than me here...]

[Yes, maybe Miss Lain is right about that]

She continues speaking as I gulp down my fourth can. My vision come across her thin lips and settle down.

Those juicy pink lips, she knew what would happen and had put on a special perfume she knows I like.

[Claire why do you do this, you know I will just hurt you again]

[I don't know what Miss Lain means by that]

She knows perfectly what I mean by that, but again she goes on with her little sly acts.

Frustrated, I pop open the fifth can

She reaches her arm and rests her hand on mine, locking them tightly, making me unable to push away

With her other hand, she motions her fingers, guiding my vision toward her ample breasts. She loosens up one of the buttons on her shirt, moving the collar away slightly to reveal a small glimpse of a purple laced bra. The one I got her for her previous birthday.

[Miss Lain, you are hurting inside, please, let me help you in your pain]

[Claire...please don't....]

[This has nothing to do with me, I...I just want to ease your mind... provide some solace to you]

Lying.

Her speech stutters when lying and her eyes glance down toward the floor. She's likely aware of that fact but still does it regardless.

No one is happy to be part of unrequited love, she says she's fine but she will be hurting again tomorrow morning.

Crying alone in her bed, she comes to the office with a beaming smile.

I already know the future, I already know the consequences

[Silly girl...]

But knowing the future doesn't stop me from moving.

Quickly I stand up and grab her hand, with fast steps we leave the restaurant

[OI! Mam, your fried rice!!]

 

 

2