CHAPTER 12. Free to do Whatever
70 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the excruciating torment which was the [Oracle Seals]’ reapplication, Julius wanted nothing more than a peaceful stroll in the courtyard.

However, the moment he stepped into the moonlit garden, what greeted his sight was—

“—Julius!!!”

A girl was trotting towards him. Her long ponytail scattered across the wind, along with her pure white jacket. The radiant moonlight made it seem like she wasn’t of that realm, but the heaven above.

He knew the girl was anything but that.

Immediately, his hand went towards his scabbard.

The witch is attacking the church!?

Amidst the crisis, Julius rummaged his brain.  

The entire time he was on the way to the church, he was on the lookout. However, until the end, there was no signs of him being followed. A quick examination, done by Fran that morning, along with the thorough one done by Rachel showed no trace of magic on his person. Hence why he had no reservation in regards to divulging the information about the witch.

Nevertheless, for the witch to let him do as he pleased—was just too outlandish of a notion.

At that point in time, the girl was already inside the church domain. A distance of a few meters was the only thing standing between them.

...Now that her secrets are out, she’s resorting to direct onslaught!?

Cold sweat trickled down his back when he considered what she was capable of.

Since the Church of Magnolia also served as a barrack and an academy, there were a lot of apprentices and templars alike residing there.

I’ll have to keep her at bay, while also figuring out a way to warn everyone—!

It was only when she was right before him that he noticed it—

—the witch was smiling. Happily, at that.

It certainly wasn’t the kind of smile someone would show to a person who was basically a threat to her life.

In fact, it was just like when they met that afternoon. 

She seemed, to put it simply, glad to see him.

The confusion only lasted for a moment.

Under the mask of a calm smile, Julius confronted the witch. His hand was perched on top of the sword’s handle.

“Good night, Ms. Witch. What brings you to the sacred ground of the Church of Magnolia?”

“I made it in time! You’re still in the church! Otherwise, I wouldn’t know where to find you!”

“You seem to be in a hurry, did something happen?”

The witch presented what appeared to be a box wrapped inside a bundle of cloth. 

“I came to bring you dinner!”

Din... ner?

It took Julius a few seconds to process that one word.

Confusion must have appeared on his face, but the witch was too preoccupied to notice.

“As per the contract, we have to eat together, right? The place doesn’t matter—so, here I am!”

The witch, who was usually nonchalant, seemed uneasy.

As for the reason, Julius wasn’t interested in the slightest. 

Finding out her actual reason for being there was of the utmost importance.

Seemingly unaware of his suspicion, or the fact that his hand had never left his scabbard, the witch went on. 

“O, of course, I’m not forcing you to actually eat with me. We can sit a few meters away from each other, and I can also wear a bag over my head! After all, you did say that you hate me...”

So, the witch is actually capable of listening to others.

Such was his initial reaction.

Now that he scanned her expression, the witch indeed appeared as if she was bearing a guilty conscience. But, he paid it no mind.

“Oh, about that.” Julius showed a diplomatic smile. “I also want to talk to you regarding the previous matter. Why don’t we find a place to sit?”

[]

Both the rice and the croquettes were cooked to perfection. The moment Julius stabbed his fork into it, not only a crispy sound could be heard, he could also see its smooth interior, adorned with vibrant, chopped, vegetables. 

“What a nice place.” The witch’s carefree voice echoed from beside him. “Thank you for bringing me here.” It actually sounded like she was enjoying herself.

They were currently sitting at the training ground behind the church, right in front of the barrack. The field of grasses before them was especially groomed for training purposes.

Amidst its gentle swaying, each blade of grass appeared as if shining under the moonlight.

The field, which was a training ground for the gruff soldiers during the day, became a location for a couple to have a secret rendezvous at night—which was why Julius disliked it.

Impure conduct occurred on a daily basis there. As such, he considered the place tainted.

“No problem, I just thought that it’s fitting.” Julius answered, faking a smile. 

Although he had succeeded with regard of diverting the witch’s attention, the real problem arrived soon after—

—namely, the lunch box currently sitting on his lap.

The rice and croquettes looked appetizing, especially when coupled with shredded cabbages and tomato slices on the side. Moreover, it was still warm. 

Regardless—

—...What could be inside?

“Julius, you’re really elegant!”

His expression, which was reflected on the knife and fork, was as tranquil as a lake surface. However, inside, he racked his brain—

—poison? But that would be too straightforward...

The witch would gain nothing from poisoning him to death, and by doing so on the church ground, she’d just be outing herself. Julius changed his standpoint.

Julius was unsure whether or not the witch was aware he had colluded with his superior. What was certain to the witch was that he had gone to the church. A lot could stem from that action alone. As such, the witch would probably want some information.

...Then, a truth serum of some kind?

“I’m quite surprised by the fact that the meal is still warm. Did Ms. Witch perhaps heat it up with magic?”

“Not at all! I ran all the way here the moment I finished decorating the lunch boxes!” Similar looking meal rested on top of the witch’s lap.

“Ms. Witch must have been in quite a hurry, then. Which makes me curious—have you tasted it?”

The witch immediately averted her gaze. “U, uh, I... haven’t? But, trust me! I’m used to cooking every day, so the taste should be pretty alright!”

“Now, I wonder about that. Why don’t you have a taste? Better late than never.”

A fork carrying a piece of croquette hovered near the witch’s face. The entire time, Julius mustered his best smile.

He never thought the day where he’d imitate the act usually done in that training ground by some senseless couple would arrive. However, as it was, he was too busy to fuss about the details.

The witch stared at the food for a split second, before eating it.

Then, after munching for a while. “See, I was right. It tastes pretty alright. Now, you have taste!” The witch announced rather proudly.

The witch’s round, black, eyes—both a replica and an opposite of a full moon—fixated on him expectantly.

Julius lowered his gaze towards his own meal.

If possible, he didn’t want to put anything made by the witch into his body. 

However, reality was often not so accommodating.

Relenting, Julius finally put a spoonful into his mouth.

It turned out that the witch was sorely mistaken—

—the taste wasn’t pretty alright.

It was deadlier than poison, and more wicked than truth serum—for it tasted like home.

Beneath its crunchy exterior, was a soft, buttered, potato coupled with the sweetness of vegetables mixed within. Paired with the warm, pulpy, rice, the gentle harmony somehow reminded him of the old days. 

It had been years ever since he last stepped inside his house. The same went for all the memories associated with it. He had intended to leave them all behind. Yet, it only took a bite for everything to resurface inside his mind.

Conversely, even though he decided to get it over with, it actually took him more than a few seconds to process that single bite.

“...Delicious.” 

The moment that word slipped out of his mouth, it was as if the fog had been lifted.

...What am I doing?

“I’m happy to hear that!”

The witch, who sat beside him, was ecstatic. 

It seemed that he had inadvertently made the witch happy. As distasteful the notion sounded, it helped him remember what he was set to do.

“...I want to apologize for this evening.”

‘The witch’s glorious display of magical proficiency led him to believe that she was planning to snatch the role of the saint, which belonged to his precious friend. As such, his emotions got the best of him.’

Julius decided to go with that narrative.

However,

“I’ve heard of your past.”

The smile he had been giving his best to show froze.

Julius turned around to find that the witch was looking straight at him.

What was the witch trying to imply?

‘I’m not going to fall for your lies.’—was that what she was saying? Even worse, was she threatening him?

In the next second, a smile bloomed on the witch’s face. Her expression was full of benevolence.

“Therefore, you needn’t force yourself to smile anymore. I understand everything already.”

“...”

“Your family... I’m truly sorry for them. I offer you my condolences. I understand how much pain the witch had caused you, and how much you detested them in return.”

As he waited for the witch to get to the point, he started counting the grasses below.

“However, I need to ask this of you—”

there it is.

“—You’re free to do whatever. I will bring your meals to you—be it during the morning, day, or night! You can also go out whenever you want. I promise to not impede any of your daily routines. But please, stay with me, I beg of you!”

"...May I ask why?"

The witch answered without a pause.

"Because I want to stay with you."

Julius instantly recognized the utter desperation within her gaze. 

Perhaps, the reason was truly that simple. 

"I understand."

He truly did understand. 

The witch was changing her strategy. By offering him her condolence, and empathizing with his pain, she was trying to get him to lower his guard. 

In all actuality, she most likely didn't care at all. 

It was proven by how she didn't mention the contract in the slightest, and how there was barely any change to their living arrangement. 

It was both disrespectful and manipulative—especially the latter part. 

Through her appeals and pleas, the witch was trying to divert his attention from the actual matter--

—to stay with him. 

How very conniving. 

The witch was self-serving until the very end.

So be it, then.

“I understand.”

Julius showed a crescent-shaped smile.

***

Later that night, when the witch was vast asleep, Julius stuck more than hundreds of amulets inside the witch’s house. Of course, he made sure they were hidden from view. 

He had also learned from the past mistake.

The current amulets would drain the person’s magic, instead of sealing them, over a period of time. The area of effectivity was small, as per intended. Julius concealed them throughout the villa, while avoiding his room entirely. He also took that opportunity to get a better grip on his surroundings.

All in all, the villa was a two-story building. There was also a small tower attached to the back of the building. Its height made it difficult to be seen from the front view of the villa. The door to that tower seemed to be locked, and as of the present, Julius refrained from doing any suspicious acts.

The initial phase of his plan, which would lead to the ultimate downfall of the witch, had already been put in motion.

If you want me to stay with you so badly, then I will.

He shall stay with her, until the last bit of her magic is depleted. Of course, Julius never expected that to be the last of her. 

However, the moment it happened, it’d already be far too late for the witch to do a comeback. 

He shall stay with her, and guide her towards that aftermath.

The last face the witch would see in that world, would probably be his, too.

“—You said it yourself, I’m free to do whatever.”

 

 

1