CHAPTER 19. Sincere Apology
65 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Inside a majestic venue displaying rich crimson and navy brocades, a party was reaching its peak. Albeit the grasp of winter hadn’t quite reached the land, yet, powders of light fell from the glittering chandeliers above, akin to snowfall. Orchestra serenaded the entire place.

On all sides of the venue, the history of Count Vera was intricately woven into the pure white wall using vivid colored paints. However, as of the present, none of those tales could be seen due to the enormous crowd gathering all over, each with their own stories.

At the corner of such a venue, two figures could be seen bickering at each other.

If their relationship were to be equated to something, then it’d be like a certain great detective and his arch-nemesis, the great villain.

...As in, one was doing his best to foil the other’s each and every step.

A knight clad in pure white could be seen following a black-haired waitress as she went through the many variations of dishes put on the display.

The count family must have hired the finest chef because the desserts looked like intricate regalia at best, and a fine gem at worst. Other than desserts encrusted with sparkling sugars and melty jam, there were also those that the witch didn’t recognize. She opted to avoid those—or anything that smelled like coffee.

This faint sourness... it could either be lemon, or lime juice... Anyway, it really improves the taste of the jam!

“Should the service that has been exclusively booked by the count’s family gobble all the foods like this? The guests haven't even finished eating the appetizer yet.”

“S, shut up—! It’s not like I ate them all—! It’s only a nibble—!”

If she didn’t seize the opportunity, where else in the world would she be able to learn the chef’s trade secret for free?!

“Also, as far as I’m concerned, that’s not how a high-class waitress would bring about the tray of dishes. That way, rather than serving the dishes, you look ready to flee the scene with them.”

“Thank you for the lesson, but it’s absolutely unnecessary! In the first place, what does a knight templar like you know about being a waitress, anyway!”

“Anyone would know from the very first glance that the way you did it isn’t the way.”

“I, is that so...? However, I’m not one to take such an insult lying down! How’s this!?” The black-haired girl fixed her posture.

“I see...”

The knight appeared to be in awe as he scrutinized her form.

Thus, the waitress proclaimed rather proudly. “See? I have it in me, all I need to do is be serious—”

“—I finally saw it. I finally saw what it is that you utterly lack—it’s delicacy.”

You bastar—”

“—We’re going straight to cursing, now? Pray tell, from which alley did the count scout you?”

“Argh—!!”

If not for the tray she was carrying, she’d be flailing in anger right now.

At first glance, it sounded as if the white knight was trying to give her some generous advice—

Too bad, I know of your real motives, Julius Visconti!

That was right, if it wasn’t obvious enough, the knight templar was trying to unveil her true identity amidst the enormous gathering of crowds!

As a way to sneak into Count Vera's party, the witch had decided to disguise herself as a mere waitress.

But of course, divulging such a plan to her natural enemy, the knight templar, risked him sticking to her like glue.

Not to mention, the fact that she had enraged him for some reason that evening.

Suffice to say, the knight templar was more than eager for her comeuppance.

As a result, Julius had been following her non-stop, now. To either monitor or rat her out, no doubt.

"...So, until when do you plan on following me?"

"Who knows." Julius answered with a superficial friendliness to his face. His persona for whenever social events ensued, probably.

"To put it frankly, you are obstructing my line of work.”

"Which is exactly part of my job."

B-by that, does he mean obstructing my work as a witch!?

...As I thought, this guy is nothing but trouble! I have to lose him soon!

The idea to blend in with the crowds had only flashed across her mind when said crowds bumped into her.

“—Oh my gosh!”

The crowds, which consisted of a few women, seemed to be engrossed in a conversation until just a moment ago. When their gazes shifted towards her, their expressions distorted in contempt.

“Watch where you’re going!! Do you have holes for eyes?!”

The center of the conversation, a redhead with an equally striking red dress, immediately imploded to Ame’s face.

Uh... she’s talking as if I’m the one who bumped into her.

Regardless of the fact, it seemed that everyone in the redhead’s group had unanimously decided such was the case.

“That’s right—! Who do you think you are—!”

“Apologize to Lady Krey at this instant—!”

...Julius, are you sure I’m the one who needs to be educated about manners and etiquette, and not this bunch of feisty ladies?

Amidst the yelling and screeching, the supposed victim, ‘Lady Krey’, stood with her arms crossed, awaiting judgment. In her hands were an ornate fan and a flute of honey-colored liquor. At the same time, the crowds had begun to focus on them—and amongst them, was Klavier.

The witch was getting tired of their nagging. At the same time, she also needed to fled the scene. Not to mention, their shrieking had almost become one and the same as a dog’s barking at that point. Thus, for the sake of her eardrums;

“Uh, I’m sorry about tha—”

“—Is that a proper way to apologize to Lady Krey!?”

Suddenly, a brunette with a blue dress of less flair than the redhead’s interjected. It was followed by the blonde lady in green dress.

“—Do you not realize what you have done? Because of you, our friend’s new dress is almost sullied—! Almost sullied, I repeat—! Knowing that, can’t you be more earnest in your apology, or do you need us to show you the way!?”

“Indeed, Tessie, Jessie; perhaps, it is as you’ve said—we need to show her the way.”

As the woman referred to as ‘Lady Krey’ stepped forward, clearly basking in the newfound attention, her lips, which were mostly obstructed behind her ornate fan, curved upwards.

However, right at that moment—

“—A belated good evening to you, Lady Rosetta Krey.”

A tall figure emerged from the crowds, dressed in all white, approaching them. His poise exuded a magnificent aura, causing the others to unconsciously open a path for him.

As the figure grew closer, Rosetta and her peers—Jessie, Tessie, and some other unnamed ladies—seemed to have gone awestruck—all, except for the witch.

For she knew that figure well.

“...Good evening to you, too, Sir Visconti. To what do I owe the pleasure of this meeting?” Rosetta responded to his formal greeting with a moony gaze.

...Just great.

Ame didn’t doubt Julius had seen the proceeding of events. She also didn’t doubt Tessie, Jessie, and the others had, either.

What she doubted was whether or not he’d take her side.

Despite having seen the actual truth, Rosetta’s peers were adamant that what happened was otherwise—for Rosetta’s sake.

...Well, putting it that way might not be too precise. After all, it was Rosetta’s favor that they wanted, as such, it was probably for their own sake. On the other hand, it also proved that Rosetta was someone of a high stature.

Trifling with such a figure bore no small consequences—such was the well-known fact.

It’s time to show my prowess in kneeling on all-four, it seems.

Julius went past her, and upon closer inspection, he was carrying two flutes of the same liquor Rosetta was holding. The only difference was, Rosetta’s flute carried less amount of liquid due to having been spilled.

Julius offered one of the flutes to Rosetta.

“To compensate you for the unforeseeable incident that has just taken place.”

As he said so, he sent Ame a frosty glance.

Ugh.

“Wonderful, I’m head-over-heels over how thoughtful you are. But... ‘unforeseeable incident’, now, I do wonder about that...?”

As she said so, she sent Ame an utterly condescending glance, as if she was looking at a heap of trash.

...Ugh.

“I have never seen this one around, before. Judging from the clumsiness, she must be new.”

“For a gutter rat like her to be allowed into such an extravagant party, she should be counting her blessings, don’t you think? Yet, her attitude showed otherwise!”

“...A certain news has arrived to me recently, of Marquis Krey’s latest endeavor. It seems that your family has established yet another branch of winery in the neighboring city. Thus, why don’t we let bygones be bygones? Don’t let such a trivial matter ruin your mood.”

“Ah, the news travels fast, I see. To be congratulated by someone like you—you don’t know how overjoyed I am. Alright, let bygones be bygones.

While receiving the drink offered by Julius, Rosetta handed her other flute to her friend. Then, after they had a toast, both ceremoniously downed their drinks.

“...My, what sweetness! They certainly didn’t lie about Count of Vera having one of the most remarkable tasting ciders!” Rosetta remarked in a satisfied smile.

“Indeed.” In response, Julius displayed a polite smile.

Then, the sweetness in Rosetta’s smile kicked up a notch. She approached Julius—a step, then another step. The entire time, the man was unmoving. After she was right in front of him, she reached for his cravat. While caressing it in her hand, she brought it to her lips.

“...But, do you know what will taste even better? Why! If it isn’t our latest wine. Papa has especially sent one for me, it hasn’t been launched yet! So why don’t you and I return to my suite, and have a nice chat over a bottle of wine?”

“As much as I found the idea welcome, I need to have a word with the newbie. See you again next time, Marquess of Krey.” Julius lightly withdrew, causing the Marquess of Krey to end up holding nothing but thin air.

Right when Ame was about to crawl her way to an escape, a leg, clad in white trouser, appeared before her.

The leg wasn’t only long and dashing, but had also sealed her exit pretty well.

“Meet me in the hall.”

As his stormy eyes met hers, she noticed the scowl on his face. In no way had his expression indicated that he had just tasted the most remarkable drink in his life.

[]

Inside a long corridor adorned with red and blue curtains.

As the witch walked side by side with the knight templar, with no destination in sight, she noticed that he was still nursing a scowl. It had been a while now.

...Oh no, am I in for the biggest dressing down of my life?

The witch had, one way or another, accepted the fact that he was her advisor for the night. It wouldn’t be surprising if he were to admonish her severely. Heck, at that point, he might even tell her to kneel.

—however, a moment later...

“...I’ve heard the rumors, but I certainly didn’t expect for it to be that sweet.”

‘It’...? By that, do you mean cider?”

Was that a complaint? No, more importantly, was that an attempt to open a conversation on his part—!?

“Indeed.”

“That’s right, you dislike sweets... Well, if you’ve heard the rumors, why did you still drink it?”

The knight templar didn’t look like someone who’d partake in currying favor...

...Regardless, his action still didn’t make any sense.

Julius answered while staying straight ahead. “...I just have a craving for a drink.”

Ooh, that explains it.

The witch decided so because she couldn’t think of any other reasons. Besides, who doesn't have a craving for something new from time to time?

At the same time, she also couldn’t deny that his craving was the one that had saved her from the repercussions of her supposed misdeed.

“Haha! Then, it’s the lack of oversight on your part! But, coming from someone like you, what a surprise! Oh, well, everyone has the right to let loose sometimes! Haa... to think that I’m ready to kneel on all four...”

To which the knight templar turned to meet her gaze. He was wearing a thin smile, freed of his scowl from before.

“That should be my line. Judging from your previous behaviors, you strike me as someone who wouldn’t take such an accusation lying down—especially a false one.”

...Does that mean—!?

“...Y. you believe I didn’t do it?”

“I don’t believe—I knew you didn’t.”

“I, is that so!?”

“I saw the whole event.”

“Well, regardless of which, I’d rather avoid troubles, you know—and that woman seems to be full of them. Who is she, anyway?”

“She’s Rosetta Krey, the only daughter of Marquis Krey. As of the present, her family is one of the leading contributors to the Church of Magnolia. Her family is also responsible for the safety of some part of this town.”

“Ah—! S, sorry, I didn’t mean to insult her—!”

She actually did. But, knowing how upright and straight-laced Julius was, he’d probably reprimand her for that—

“—Well, as long as you know when to behave and lower your head, then it’s no problem.” Julius remarked with a meaningful smile.

Ame waited for more stern rebukes on his part, but that seemed to be the end.

Rather, Julius seemed to approve of her way of dealing with people like Rosetta Krey.

...How unusual.

“...Well, I will sit obediently and lower my head, alright... not like I have any intention to do otherwise. At least, not anymore...” The witch hung her shoulders dejectedly.

“What’s wrong?” Julius asked. There appeared to be a hint of concern in his voice, but at that point in time, the witch was too preoccupied to analyze things.

“It’s nothing... I was just slapped by reality, is all...”

“‘The reality’...?”

“I’m talking about my skill as a waiter ...or, the lack thereof...”

It’s twice now that people have pointed out my lack of expertise in being a waiter...

...Well, it isn’t like I have the slightest desire to pursue such a career in the future, but...

...To be labeled as a ‘gutter rat’ on the very first meeting, I wonder if that’s her first impression of me...

If such is the case, then doesn’t that mean my lack of talent is THAT apparent...?

“Anicca.”

The mellow, husky, voice which came from beside her broke her off her reverie.

Although the period of time they spent together could barely be considered long, it had certainly been a long time ever since he last spoke of her name.

As a result, Ame was in a daze for a second.

“You mean... me?” She pointed at herself.

“Well, is there any other ‘Anicca’ present in this hall beside you?”

T-that’s twice—!!

“R, right. What is it?”

Also, why is he so close?

As the knight templar peered into her face, he produced something from his pocket. It seemed to be a wrapper... of sorts.

As he unwrapped it, he sandwiched the content between his fingers.

It turned out to be a piece of chocolate. However,

“Open your mouth.”

“H-hold on, why is it green!? Also, why is it powdery—mmgh!”

Julius seized the opportunity to put the chocolate(?) inside her mouth.

“—!!”

It’s bitteeer!!!

As if guessing her intention, a wide palm rushed to cover her mouth. Of course, it was Julius’.

“Keep chewing on it.”

It’s too bitter, I feel like crying, and the suspicious green powder only enhances the bitterness... What the hell is this...?!

Whatever it was, the knight templar seemed intent upon her finishing it.

Oh, I know—

—this is what’s going to kill me, isn’t it?!

No wonder he invited her to such an empty hall—!

It’s all a set... up...

...Huh?

Right before the bitterness could overtake her consciousness, she noticed a change.

At the same time, Julius’ serious expression had turned into that of an approving, but otherwise amused one.

“You seem to have understood.”

...Where, did this sweetness come from?

The chocolate in her mouth had taken a shift in flavor. Despite the underlying bitterness, there was a buttery sweetness invading her taste bud. Then, a grassy aftertaste. It was almost... almost as if the bitterness had complemented the sweetness—in fact, they could be said to go hand in hand with each other!

“I, it’s delicious!” As the witch uttered in astonishment, she could feel his thumb lingering around her lips, perhaps to clean some dirt. “W, what is this, Julius?!” The moment she turned towards him and asked, said activity ceased as he quickly retracted his hand.

“As far as I know, it’s a dessert made from Eastern delicacy called ‘matcha.’ It’s a finely-ground powder made of green tea leaves.” Julius answered while focusing on the view outside the window.

“I see... ‘matcha’... I, I never knew that bitterness and sweetness can go so well together!”

“Yes, in fact, that’s exactly the type of sweetness that I enjoy.”

I see... bitter at first, and then a sweet aftertaste... okay, noted.

“Where did you get it, anyway?”

“It’s amongst the variety of sweets put on display back in the venue. It does an excellent job in washing away the sweetness from the cider, too.” In fact, as of the present, the knight templar appeared to be munching on one.

“Ahaha! You make it sounds like you’ve prepared them just in case that the cider turns to be overly sweet! Admit it, just like me, you’d been eyeing your favorite candy, and was planning to secretly enjoy them later!”

“Sure, if by ‘secretly enjoy’, you mean gobbling on them in plain sight, before the multitude of crowds.”

Ack—!

There it is, his nasty side—!

The witch sensed another heated debate brewing.

However, Julius resumed in a softer tone.

“...But your claims do hold water. Just like you, I also have my preferred dishes. As such, I can see how my previous remarks could come off as truly superfluous—if not plain hurtful.”

...W-where is he going with this?

“Although it did little to excuse my uncouthness, I’ll have you know that I said it purely out of jest. It could be said that I... got carried away, yes...”

...N, no way—!

During the last part of his sentence, Julius began to falter as he struggled to maintain eye contact with her.

“...Therefore, I’ll have to apologize.”

The witch didn’t believe the day would come—

—the day where she’d hear a genuine apology from the knight templar.

However, as much as she wanted to rejoice, for his firm apology to be wasted over such a trivial matter...

“...I, it’s no problem at all!! I mean, who doesn’t like candy, right!? I wish I had a chance to sneak out some of the fancy desserts, too!! But too bad, the moment I’m about to approach the sweets corner, I have to bump into that woman, instead!!”

“Then, consider this a symbol of my apology.”

Out of his inner pocket, the knight templar produced not one, not two, but lots of candies!

Prism-shaped candy wrapped in gold foil, ball-shaped candy adorned with a medal-like seal, chewy-looking marshmallow stuffed in a glass-like plastic container... Julius’ hands were filled with them!

“T, that’s a lot! But why!? Do you secretly have a sweet tooth!?”

“Unfortunately, no. But before we got here, I recall that you mentioned wanting to have a taste of all the treats. Here is the non-bitter one that I could get my hands on.”

—Ah!

...Well, to be more precise.

“This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to taste all the sweets served in an aristocratic house! I’m going to savor them, and unearth the deep, deep, secret that is artisan confections! After that, delicious desserts every day!”

In her most ecstatic moment right before entering the venue, she recalled saying something unhinged like that.

It was a wonder that he could still recall it. Albeit at the same time, she’d rather him not.

“Have your pick.”

Julius offered with a smile that made him look more and more like Father Christmas.

“I, I will gladly accept your offer! Also, just forget about it, in the first place, you needn’t apologize for anything...” The witch, who couldn’t stop grinning, reached for the candies—

—It was at that moment that she recalled a very crucial detail.

“Hold on.”

“What’s wrong?” Julius asked with a smile as generous as his offer.

“So, you’re saying that you have sweet and bitter candies, like, all along?”

“Yes?”

“Yet, at the pivotal moment during my excruciating sorrow, you chose to pop the bitter one into my mouth!?”

Maybe it’ll be best for you to not think about them much?”

—!!

Inside his angelic smile, was a grim shadow of unending retribution.

“—APOLOGIZE!!! APOLOGIZE RIGHT NOW!!!”

[]

The knight templar didn’t apologize at all.

Instead, he vacated all the sweets he had—except the bitter ones, of course—into her hands.

Thus, all was fine with the world.

“Julius, don’t you think we should return to the venue, soon?” The witch asked mid-munching. As of the present, she was chewing a pure white marshmallow with creamy, chocolatey, filling.

“I wonder about that.” Julius responded while walking in front of her.

The otherwise somber hall, filled with nothing but supposedly high-end vases and curtains, felt endless.

“Why? I’m sure a lot of people are awaiting your return. The moment you appeared before Lady Krey, many stared at you in awe.”

“Do you think so?” Julius turned around ever so slightly, while a grin full of implications hung on his profile.

“Uh... yes? Do you not think so?”

Julius stared straight ahead again.

“Rather than awaiting my return, I believe they’re just surprised I decided to make an appearance in this ball.”

“By that, does that mean you rarely attended one?”

...But, the appearance of the knight templar as he offered Marquess of Krey a drink... to put it simply, Julius looked completely in his element.

“I don’t like nighttime celebrations all that much.”

“I see... but, I just don’t think you’d like to spend the entire night in this bleak hall, either...”

“...’Bleak’?”

“Yes, I mean, there’s no portrait, painting, no nothing—the vases don’t even have flowers in them!”

“I see. You’d certainly think so.” Julius suddenly approached the wall on their right side. “Do you know what this painting on the wall signifies?”

The witch followed after him. “...Isn’t that just... a painting of red clouds, with a blue backdrop?”

“Do you know what the Count of Vera is famous for?” With a humorous glint in his eyes, he threw a quiz her way.

“...The, orchard, I guess...?”

“Not wrong. However, back then, the family was known for their uncommon, wavy, crimson hair, and ocean blue eyes.”

“I, is that why this painting—no, the entire furniture in this household adopts the crimson and blue palette?!”

“Indeed, but that’s not all. The late count also has a penchant for journeying across the sea.”

Upon closer inspection, the wavy, crimson, clouds and crystal blue backdrop—which is supposed to be the vast ocean amidst the sunset sky—also had many other depictions.

There was an illustration of the sun, but with black circle in the middle of it. There was a depiction of a small island plagued by the rain. There was a picture of a school of colorful fish.

“T, this is his travelog!!”

Suddenly, the hall didn’t look so monotonous and empty anymore.

“That’s right. If you want to see it in chronological order, I suggest that we start at the back.” Julius pointed at the end of the hall.

Thus, the two went to the end of the hall.

As fascinating as the illustration on the wall appeared, there were some that were just too abstract for her comprehension.

At that moment, Julius would, without fail, supply her with an explanation, and if her brain got too hot, she always had a candy in hand. To the witch, the night was perfect.

“T, the being four times the size of a ship is a squid?! Surely, you jest! Can you imagine being wrapped inside one of its tendrils?!”

“...In fact, I remember being filled with dread when I first laid my eyes upon this one specific picture.”

“This is also the end of the travelog... It’s kind of understandable. The dude probably got so traumatized, he refused to ever sail again.”

“...The truth is, after his encounter with the gigantic sea creature, which happened about four years ago, the count fell ill. Last year, the count finally succumbed to it.”

“...I see. Now that you mention it, the articles inside the last section of the travelog experienced a spike. I wonder if the man foresaw his own death...”

As she spat out those words, there was a bitterness in her mouth. Of course, she had the remedy—the witch reached out for a chocolate, which was wrapped in a transparent, pink, package.

“Who knows.”

As she munched the sweet delicacy, something flowed in her mouth. The liquid tasted sweet at first, but soon turned sour.

The witch immediately had a bad feeling.

“...Uh, Julius... this particular candy...”

“What’s wrong?” Julius immediately turned towards the wrapper she had in hand.

“When I chewed on it, liquid filled my mouth...”

“Ah, that one. It’s a particularly sought-after piece. Do you like it?” As Julius asked her, he showed her a warm smile.

That particular smile told her that he meant her no harm.

However, his words had begun to spin inside her mind.

Particularly... sought-after...

“The, chocolate is certainly delicious... but... just in case, the liquid inside, it can’t be, right?”

“The liquid inside?”

“Yes, it can’t be something produced by that fruit which grows in the vineyard, and is later fermented by yeast, right?”

“Ah, you mean the wine? The sweetness should’ve adhered to your taste, right?”

“...Bullseye.

...By that, she meant he had found her weakness.

As her field of vision began to tilt and diminish, a chirpy voice of a man could be heard.

“—I’ve found you guys at last!”

[]

Inside a spare room intended for guests, a girl was lying on top of a single bed with a layer of blanket draped over her.

Two men were standing across from each other. One was clad in white, while the other in black.

“Ahahaha! I can’t believe you got to her first! I was about to exact my revenge on her after she fed me that awful-tasting pie, you see! Good job, comrade!” With his knee on top of the other, Klavier laughed while holding the same chocolate that had caused the witch to faint.

As Julius stood overseeing the witch in grimace.

“I... I didn’t mean for it to come to this.”

“Ahaha! Didn’t you find it fascinating? This kid is wholly intolerant to alcohol, a gulp of it, and she’s out! She’s just built differently!”

Unable to withstood both the guilt and anxiety, Julius knelt beside the unconscious figure of the witch.

“More importantly, what are we to do now? Will she wake up soon? Wouldn’t it be best to summon a doctor?” Unaffected by the other man’s humor, he asked with a hint of urgency.

“Huh? Are you seriously asking me that question?” In disbelief, Klavier fixed the position of his legs.

“This isn’t the time to sit around and do nothing!”

“Well, indeed, you’re right.” In turn, Klavier also scooted closer to the witch. “My thirst for vengeance still hasn’t been quenched yet. Thus, I’ll make her eat one more chocolate—”

Klavier’s remaining words were cut by the abrupt sound of an unsheathed blade.

“...Quit joking around.”

As Julius stared at Klavier, it was as if there was a flash of white within his silver eyes, akin to lightning.

Klavier’s smile was quickly erased, but not his nonchalant attitude.

“...Well, right back at you. Should you truly be pointing that blade of yours towards me, a law-abiding citizen, and not a certain other entity inside the room? That’s your job as the knight templar, right? Like, are you kidding me right now?”

“The day I picked up this sword, I swore to protect the innocents, and condemn the evils—no matter who, or what they are. Personally speaking, I disagree with the ‘law-abiding’ part, because you are anything but that.”

“Ugh, just perfect, an upright, principled, fella—the type that I can’t stand the most. Look at you, right now, you’re exactly what they’d commonly refer to as a witch’s familiar.”

Klavier remarked in disgust, while at the same time hoping to throw a jab at Julius.

Nevertheless, the man was unfathomable as ever.

“...I just did what anyone else would do. Better than a certain someone who didn’t come to her aid despite having invited her here.”

“Ahh, you mean the incident with that fussy Krey? While I did saw the whole thing, I also didn’t miss the bits and pieces where you scampered for her rescue—so, why bother?’”

“...”

“Ugh! Fine, I get it! No more jokes! So, stop looking at me as if I’m a criminal on death row! She’ll be fine, maybe have a headache after she wakes up a few moments later, y’know, hangover and all.”

“Then, I will fetch some remedies.”

The knight templar rushed to the door as if carrying a mission of utmost priority.

“Oi! Well, there he goes.”

Klavier remarked towards the figure lying down on the bed.

[]

As the witch groggily woke up, splitting headache assaulted her. Her eardrums were ringing—

—but she could still recall what was about to happen.

“...A moment later, and I’d get to spit that chocolate back into your mouth.”

“Ooh, feisty. Not going to lie, though, as long as it’s you, I kind of welcome the idea.” Klavier playfully opened his mouth, as if daring her to spit into it.

Tempting. But, as the man said, he’d probably enjoy it more than anything else.

Note to self: the originator of the joke can’t be the butt of the joke.

“If you’re already awake, then say so. Did you know that I’ve almost been stabbed to death by that guy? Also, how did you do it?”

“How did I do... what?”

“How did you manage to wrap him around your little finger?”

“...I don’t understand what you’re talking about.”

No, really.

If anything, weren’t they like, at each other’s throat for 70% of the ball?

She truly wanted to vent her frustration to Klavier, but decided against it. She felt that the dude would only make fun of her.

“Oh, c’mon, now! It’s barely been a week, and he’s already going above and beyond to protect you... and fetch you stuff! I mean, who does that?!”

...Klavier spoke as if the last part was the most exemplary.

“Ah, about that... I believe Julius himself has brought to you the reason! To paraphrase him, it’s because he has sworn to help people out!”

“...That’s way too oversimplified. Oh, well, I know it’s not going to be of any use to talk about this to you, anyway. So, back to the main topic—what the hell is that appearance?”

The moment the witch realized that her cover was blown, she immediately pulled her blanket up, to no avail.

“Uhh, you invited me, so...”

“Yes, I did. But not as a waiter? I had wanted you to attend with something more ...tasteful, fancy, and not, this.

“Did you realize you’ve just insulted your own uniform...?”

“Did you also realize that all of my employees are males?”

“Uh-huh, you mentioned something about a certain high-ranking noble lady harassing your female employees until they quit.”

“—And today, you’ve just suffered at the hand of said noble lady ...because of your own obstinacy. Holy hell, she's going to blow my workplace tomorrow.”

“To be honest, it kind of surprised me that she didn’t waste her time to strike. But, what’s even more surprising is the fact that you’d even give someone like her the time of the day.”

“Well, she pays good money.”

The fact that Klavier’s workplace had even adhered to Rosetta’s term, and adopted the policy of only having male employees told that she paid more than just ‘good money.’

But she wasn’t going to delve into that tonight.

It was also apparent that Klavier had only just gotten into the topic.

“What’s wrong with wearing a pretty dress and staying silent by my side?”

Despite his laidback expression, his eyes bore into her like a predator that’d chase his prey to the end of earth.

...Also, by that, Klavier was asking why she didn’t just lay low and stay still.

“Well, to me, that’s exactly the problem. My answer to that is simple—I can’t.”

“Just leave everything to me, you needn’t trouble yourself. Do as I said, and everything will be fine.” He said it in a low tone, resembling a growl, which made his reassurance sounded like a threat.

“Klavier, I’m not your pawn.”

“I never said you’re one. Fine, have it your way.” Klavier clicked his tongue as he relaxed on his seat.

“That’s what I’m planning to do.” The witch got off the bed and tidied her appearance. “If Julius were to ask, tell him that I’m going outside for a bit in a search for some fresh air.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

0