CHAPTER 25. Carnival of Light (Illustrated)
88 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As a thousand of stars emerged from the ground, the forest was awash with light.

Amidst such bright festivity, a girl sat on the ground.

Once crying, her tears abruptly stopped the moment she perceived the countless, fluttering, lights. Almost immediately, a smile formed on her face as she sighed in adoration.

“...Amazing!”

Infected by her overjoyed expression, Julius also began to laugh.

Julius never expected to witness such a childlike simplicity from a witch.

Then again, it wasn’t like he had seen much, because he refused to do so.

As Julius immersed himself in the sight of the astonished witch, he began to ponder.

...I’m the one who refused to see it.

I refused to acknowledge that the witches have other side to them other than devilry.

His line of job only made such decision easier. Because as a knight templar, it was pointless to even consider such a thing.

At the same time—it was also because of that narrowmindedness; he had almost cut down someone who was capable of showing that kind of smile.

Even now, he was still uncertain whether or not it was part of the witch’s deception.

If it was truly a deceit—...

“—I’m sorry... I’m truly sorry...!”

As torrential tears poured down her cheeks, Julius of that moment was at loss of what to do. However, the sense of crisis that he felt at that very second, it reminded him of the times when his own life was in a peril.

Of course, he was aware that it was a mere exaggeration on his part.

Yet, it still didn’t stop him from trying to find a way—any way at all—to stop her tears.

That was when a certain thing became abundantly clear for him—

—Whether or not it was a lie, he was willing to stay around and find out.

...No, that was what he was supposed to do from the start, instead of flailing his sword around like a madman.

He had truly been blinded by hate.

Had the witch proven to be innocent, then he’d be nothing but a murderer, and his supposed act of justice but a senseless killing.

...In a way, it’d make him as wicked, if not more, than his object of loathing.

However, in the end, it wasn’t up to him.

Julius glanced at the witch, whom was still preoccupied with the glimmers of the not-so-distant ‘stars.’

That’s right, my decision doesn’t matter...

...Unconsciously, Julius let out a morose sigh.

“Julius, can you believe this?! Summer has passed, and yet, there are still these many fireflies around!”

“...To be quite precise, they are the unique inhabitants of the Forest of Helleborus. As a result of adapting to their surroundings, they’ve developed a taste for magic. It was said that they emit light as they process it.”

“I see...! No wonder they’re so sparkly...! They must be so overjoyed right now, to be able to eat such glorious-tasting magic...!”

Is that a hint of envy I heard...?

Amusement crept to him, resulting in a smile.

Julius couldn’t help but ask, out of genuine curiosity.

“Does my magic taste that wonderful?”

“It does—!!! It’s the best amongst the best—!!! I’ve never tasted anything like it before—!!! Ah... uh, I’m sorry, it must be a painful reminder to you...”

“No, I don’t mind.”

For a moment, he wondered why he felt happy upon hearing her enthusiastic reply.

To be at the receiving end of someone’s fondness—it turned out to be not so bad at all.

...But, how long will it last?

Or, will it last at all?

After this night...

The shadow of gloom had casted itself upon him once again.

“I wish this night won’t end!”

“...Indeed.”

Towards the witch’s heartfelt wish, Julius agreed—but for an entirely different reason.

[]

Once the carnival of light had reached its end, the forest returned to its eerie, somber, form.

However, the prove of its existence, the lasting impression its beauty had left could be seen on the black-haired girl.

“That’s so amazing!”

It was the girl’s n-th ‘amazing’s that night. Regardless of her limited vocabulary, the boundless joy she had felt was conveyed through her smile.

Julius believed it to be the sole remaining light amidst the darkness.

“Indeed... now, it’s time to get back inside.”

Julius stood up and patted his trouser, cleaning the blades of grass.

“Thank you for the mesmerizing sight, Julius—!!”

He paused abruptly.

Even without turning around, he could tell that she was sporting a full smile.

...Thus, the ever so carefree witch thanked the knight templar wholeheartedly.

Just like how the magical festivity of light had come to an end, such an otherworldly tale, too, would meet its end.

...Still—

—there’s no saying that it has to end now.

Upon realizing that there were no signs of her following behind him, or any sound of footsteps, Julius turned around—

—only to find that the girl was still sitting on the same spot, with a rather awkward look to her.

He immediately recalled that she was on the brink of exhaustion.

When Ame saw him walking towards her, she immediately spoke.

“No, no, you can head home first! I’ll catch up with you later! Or, whenever strength decide to return to my legs—Woah...!”

Paying no heed to her comments, Julius lifted her like one would a princess.

She was lighter than he thought. ...To think that he had been pinned down by such a frame twice, now...

Julius immediately shooed away the intrusive shame, and smiled at the witch, whom was still surprised.

“Let me help you.”

“B-but...!”

A crisis ensued when he was about to make a step.

“You have to hold on tight, otherwise you’d fall.”

“H, how am I supposed to do that?!” With a look of absolute confusion, the witch raised both of her hands, which were currently grasping air.

“Hold on to me.”

To which she responded by clinging to the front of his shirt.

Julius tilted his head in genuine curiosity. “...Has the witch never been carried like this before?”

“...Well, yeah, you caught me, but what of it!?”

The corners of his mouth became uplifted, forming a grin.

“You have to do it like this—wrap your arm around my neck.”

As Julius instructed her, he offered his neck towards her.

“B-b-b-but, I’d be so close to your neck!!!”

“What of it?”

Imagining that the cause behind her panic was due to embarrassment further widened his grin.

“Aren’t you afraid that I might attempt the same thing as before...?”

She asked in a forlorn tone—

—again, that look, as if she was about to cry, returned.

“...Well, indeed. I’ve often perceived the witches as opportunistic being that won’t let such a chance go—”

Regardless of the reason, she was concerned for him.

“—But my witch is different.”

[]

 

 

 

0