CHAPTER 26. Forgiven for Anything
61 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“...My utmost apologies, that wasn’t supposed to happen.”

In a somber tone, Julius remarked while clearing his throat. With him sitting on top of the bed, half of his body covered with a blanket, and Ame kneeling on the bedside—their roles had somewhat been reversed.

Well, what else do you think is going to happen—!?

The witch suddenly recalled the reason why she was mad at him.

“Not only have you been neglecting sleep, you also went on a late-night excursion. Not to mentions, all the things you did with those 464 amulets—!!!”

“...Normally, I wasn’t this delicate of health.” The word ‘shame’ was written all over his expression.

Normally, you also didn’t get afflicted with a mind-altering curse, either! Hence, you should rest aplenty!”

She’d like to think that her argument was solid—for he didn’t say anything back.

However, his gaze was still transfixed at her, and it was full of discontent.

“...I’ll have you know that I usually am able to handle a lot more than this.”

“Yes, yes...”

“A knight templar is a laborious profession. Enduring a curse or two is already part of my day-to-day basis.”

“Of course.”

“What I’m saying is, this doesn’t usually happen...!”

“I understand...”

“Then, why are you laughing?”

Unlike Julius, who became gloomier with each sentence, Ame looked positively chirpy.

No wonder he said all those rambunctious nonsenses—!

He must be having some sort of fever dream—!

Finally, everything makes sense—!

“It’s nothing.”

“I can tell that you were thinking of something uncouth. Well, you may laugh. I, myself, knew how disgraceful I must’ve looked as of the present.”

Is he worried that my opinion of him might change?

To which Ame smiled and extended her hand forward—

“—Worry not! You’re still the best knight templar I know—or, as the word gets around, the town hero! But even the greatest hero is prone to illness, y’know! ...In fact, some even succumbed to it.”

 “—A mere fever won’t take me out.”

In a hurry to cheer him up, she blurted anything she could think of—

Although, yeah, the last part is uncalled-for...

Then, even grumpier than before, Julius added.

“I’m convinced that you’re making fun of me.”

“How so?”

This. Now, will you stop treating me like a child?”

Julius pointed to her hand, which was currently patting his head.

I, I unconsciously did it—!!

Ame thought she had avoided a landmine. When in all actuality, her hand had long pulled the pin.

“C’mon, I didn’t mean it like that! I’m merely trying to cheer you up! Or, as everyone says, it’s a manner of gesture!”

“...The actual term for it is manner of speech.”

He’s full of doubt...

“Anyway! Being sick is nothing to be depressed about! Instead, you should be rejoicing!”

“Doubtful.”

“That’s right! I mean, why are you being so hard on yourself?! Did you know? You’re in a state where you’d be forgiven for anything! After all, when you’re sick, you’re entitled to a great deal of care and lavish attention!”

“...Care, and attention.”

 “Yes! I will personally see to it!”

“...”

There was glint in Julius’ eyes, in which it appeared that he was about to come around.

...But of course, her blabbering had to snuff it out.

Who—!? Who in their right mind would want to be taken care of by a witch—!?

However, when she was about to retract her words—

“—Fine.”

“Eh?”

J, just now, did I mishear it?

Then, while looking elsewhere, Julius muttered.

“I guess it wouldn’t be so bad, after all.”

[]

After Julius had acquiesced, the conversation died down.

Then, amidst the stifling silence—

“...It’s hot.”

Julius made such a remark while loosening his collar.

No wonder, for he was clad in his knight attire.

“Ah—! Let me help you with that—!”

Ame reached for his cravat, and as she started to remove it, she became aware of his piercing glare.

From such a close distance, his well-defined facial features, along with his clear silver eyes, could be seen with clarity. However, it was the wariness within his eyes that she was focusing upon.

Ame immediately paused.

Thus, while averting his gaze, he began to speak sternly.

“—Listen, although I did pledge myself to you, I didn’t mean it ‘that’ way.”

‘That’ way, what...?

However, considering that it was Julius they were talking about, Ame could roughly guess that he was telling her to not touch him so casually.

She could vividly recall his distorted expression as she touched him during their first meeting.

Anyway—

“Sorry! That was thoughtless of me!”

—as if she was being cornered by a bunch of guards, the witch threw both of her hands into the air as she quickly withdrew.

Right, no touching, duly-noted—

“—But...”

As Julius averted his gaze, only his side profile could be seen. Even if so, his expression was unreadable.

“If it’s done with the intention of helping, then it’s fine.”

Huh???

She didn’t know why he had to be roundabout—

“—I, I merely want to help!”

—Or why she had to reassure him of that.

Thus, her helped him remove both his cravat and mantle.

The entire experience was hot.

...Literally.

Due to the close proximity, his warm exhalation kept hitting the side of her face. There was also the fact that his body temperature was higher than usual. Moreover, she could feel his gaze burning a hole to her face.

After it came down to his vest, he refused her help.

“I can take over from here...”

However, as he fumbled to open the gold buttons adorning his vest, it became apparent that he wasn’t up to the task.

Unable to keep watching, Ame grabbed his wrist.

Let me do it—

—With a start, Julius glowered. From the way he glared at her, it felt as if cold air was being spewed directly to her face.

As the witch retracted her hand and stumbled to apologize;

“O, okay! No touching! I got it! Sorr—"

“—Forgive me.”

“...Huh?”

Ame thought that she had misheard it.

Except, Julius truly appeared to be remorseful.

“During my entire life, I’ve been trained to fight against both demons and witches. Therefore, it has already been ingrained within me to be skeptical and cautious around one. Even if it’s against my will. ...Of course, I’m not saying that I’m lumping you together with them, it’s just—"

“—I understand, got it! It can’t be helped that your guard is up against a witch!”

His longwinded explanation had succeeded in acquiring her a headache.

To her, the knight templar’s distrustfulness towards a witch was already a basic knowledge. It was the same distrustfulness that’d prevent them from doing anything that resembled a cooperation.

But of course, a partnership between a church’s member and a witch already sounded like an absurdity in the first place.

Thus, to take the places of the trust and friendship that were clearly inexistent, she had come up with a brilliant idea—

“—Like I’ve always said, whenever you feel distrustful, just wish me away and the contract will—”

—to establish a contract between them.

The contract would ensure that they wouldn’t betray each other—just like trust and friendship. Of course, to an extent.

But she was soon reminded of something that was as important.

“...The contract.”

That had just been abolished.

Now, they had no way of trusting each other.

As she stood there in a daze, Julius shot her a remorseful look before correcting himself.

“...The reason as to why I refused your help just now has nothing to do with any of that.”

“Eh?”

“It’s because... —it’s embarrassing.

It took her a few seconds to process the meaning of that word.

“I, I see...”

Julius cleared his throat.

“When I said that I want to start over, I truly mean it. The problem lies with me for being unaccustomed. As I’ve ascertained that you bore no ill wills, you may help me if you wish...”

S-such formality!

Ame felt that she caught a glimpse of how the knight templar would usually behave around respectable human beings.

At the same time, awkwardness started to creep on her, causing her words to be stuck inside her throat.

Adopting his tone, the witch replied while waving her hands in refusal.

“N-no! If you dislike it that much, then there’s no need—”

“—I want to get used to it.”

From Julius’ expression, it was apparent that he’d never back down.

Once again, the witch had come face-to-face with the tenacity of the man.

However, instead of being accompanied with a ruthless expression, the corners of his mouth rose to form a gentle smile.

“...As you can see, I’m currently having a slight problem. Won’t Ms. Witch kindly lend me her help?”

Expressionless; he looked the part of a general who had slayed countless demons. But, when he smiled like that, he appeared like one of those princes in the picture books.

As such, how could one not feel touched and acquiesce!?

“I understand!”

“Thank—M, Ms. Witch? Why are you suddenly coming closer—”

“Don’t worry, Julius! Your will is conveyed loud and clear!”

His passionate request had enflamed her spirit. Like a proud soldier who didn’t know how to back down, the witch marched on—

“—I’ll help you as much as you want!”

“I truly appreciate it, but...!”

—As she did so, the bed creaked under her weight. At the same time, the face of Julius, which was dyed in utter shock, became closer and closer. While she leaned closer, the knight templar instinctively withdrew until there was a plopping sound.

Julius closed his eyes as he fell underneath her. His expression tightened in both nervousness and anticipation.

“...There, a sick person should just lie down nicely.”

Only after the witch said those words did Julius finally open his eyes.

“What...?” Julius asked with a confounded look. “You did this only to make sure that I’d lie down...?!”

“—Ey, the way you put it, it’s as if I’ve scammed you or something. Of course not!”

Then—!”

Towards her nonchalant reply, Julius’ doubtful expression remained.

“This way, I can remove your clothes while you lie down comfortably.”

“Is there really a need to climb on top of me—?”

What is he complaining about? I made sure I didn’t put my weight on him!

Even though she did exactly as she said—

“—See, I’m only trying to help!”

In an extravagant manner, the witch spread his vest open, revealing the plain white shirt within. Damp with sweat, the shirt clung to him like a second skin.

She smiled in a convincing manner, but instead of anything, the suspicion within his eyes only intensified.

“Are you, really...?”

His breathless, weak, voice made her realize something. Her chivalrous spirit wasn’t the only thing that was burning within the room. His face was, too.

“Oh, my... Forgive me—...” The witch felt remorseful for not realizing it sooner. Then, to confirm something, she slid her hand under his shirt and touched his bare torso.

He’s sweating a lot!

In response, Julius tensed up considerably.

“...Ani—!” Seemingly about to say something, the man ended up uttering incoherent syllable that resembled her name.

“What’s wrong!?”

“Y, your hand... it’s freezing cold...!” Julius replied in a voice that sounded about to vanish.

“To be precise, it’s you who’re burning hot...! Because your temperature is higher than usual, my hand, which is of a normal temperature, ended up feeling much colder—...”

“The detail doesn’t matter! Do not touch me!”

“R, right! We need to get you out of that wet shirt as soon as possible!”

Due to the emergency nature of the situation, she did end up putting her weight on him.

As she straddled his waist, the knight templar who strictly told her to not fuss about the details did exactly that—

“—Ms. Witch, don’t be like this...!”

“What are you talking about?! If you continue to wear it, your fever will only worsen from here on out!”

“It’s getting difficult for me to think clearly...!”

“I see, the heat must’ve been driving you crazy! Please don’t move around so much so we can get this done!”

Amidst their scuffle, the knight templar shot her a look of raging helplessness—

“—You’re the one driving me crazy!”

[]

As Ame opened the door to the room, to her left, a man could be seen sitting atop the bed. Due to where she was standing, only his taut back and long ponytail could be seen. Of course, along with his signature red ribbon.

Basking amidst the light, the smoothness of his shirt, which contained no crease whatsoever, became apparent. Not to mention, the glossiness of his hair, which was combed to peak tidiness, made it appeared as if it was weaved from the sunlight itself.

...Somehow, he appears more orderly than me, who’ve just taken a shower.

After a brief moment of respite, it dawned upon her—how dire of a crime sitting on top of a sick person was.

Then, as she hesitated to enter the room.

“How long are you going to stand there?”

As Julius’ question reached her, a gush of wind blew pass her through the door. Announcing that the winter season was on its way, it felt chilly. She shivered, and soon realized that Julius would fare much worse against such coldness.

Thus, she immediately closed the door behind her.

“S-sorry...”

Instead of replying, Julius turned to gaze at her in acknowledgement.

When he did, his eyes widened slightly. Briefly, he seemed to be at his wit’s end. Afterwards, while averting his gaze, Julius remarked in an irate manner.

“...What’s with that appearance?”

...For some reason, it felt as if his frustration was directed towards himself.

As for his latest question;

“Oh, this? In case you’ve forgotten, my previous attire has been reduced to rags!” Ame explained casually as she glanced down at her own outfit. As of the present, she was wearing a sky-blue dress with a hem that extended to her knee. Although in term of elegance, the dress couldn’t be compared to a glamorous ball gown, the subtle placement of laces and use of white color made it appear both lovely and ephemeral. Not to mention, the sleeves were designed in such a way that it draped over her shoulders, appearing like a winter coat. After donning such a gorgeous dress, the witch decided to not cut corners and styled her hair as well, using ribbons of matching color.

“What do you think?”

After putting in those efforts, the witch felt like being boastful. Thankfully, in the mansion where she usually resided alone, someone else was conveniently present.

Under her expectant gaze, Julius, who didn’t only refuse to turn around, adamantly stayed silent. However, in the end, he gave in and settled upon an answer—

“—It’s passable.

“...Uh, meaning?”

“As in, you’d pass as one of the Freyja’s citizens.”

“That’s...”

Is he saying that I’d pass as a human?

“That’s a compliment, isn’t it?! Yes, it must be! Thank you, Julius!”

The witch was beaming. Julius didn’t pursue the matter and instead asked;

“So, did you come solely to ask for my opinion about your new dress?”

“N-no, of course not!!”

That’d be too shallow!

But, the first question she had uttered since entering had indeed been about that dress. Therefore, it wouldn’t be strange for Julius to have that kind of misconception.

Then, as she fumbled to apologize—

“...I’m only joking.” As a half-smile hung on his lips, glint of amusement could be seen within Julius’ eyes.

Fortunately for him, he was sick. Thus, regardless what she actually felt like doing, she’d have to forgive him.

Julius went on—

“Then, does Ms. Witch require anything of me? I’ll ensure that the task reaches its completion. Be rest assured, for my current physical condition won’t be a hindrance.”

—kindly, at that.

However, the bizarre attitude of the knight templar didn’t faze the witch in the slightest—

Sick Julius sure behaves like a different entity...

Oh, well.

Besides, it wasn’t as if she disliked that side of him.

“R, really? You’d do that?”

“Of course.” Julius replied with the same amiable smile.

...In fact, she much preferred for him to stay that way.

Julius was undeniably a looker when he smiled. Not to mention, the aura of benevolence he emitted lifted the previous heavy atmosphere. Thus, making it easier for her to speak as if they were pals.

With a cheerful smile, the witch entreated—

“—Then, strip?”

“...”

Immediately, there was a shift in atmosphere. To describe the feelings, it was as if winter had arrived in earnest within that one and only room.

Moreover, albeit Julius was visibly still smiling, as of the present, his smile was the scariest of all. So was his tone, despite being laden with gentleness.

“...Come again?”

Nevertheless, the witch who saw nothing wrong with her request continued. Perhaps, Julius failed to hear her the first time.

“Yes, so, won’t you undress?”

“...Now, why would I do that?”

“It’s so that I can help you wipe your body with this damp towel!” As Ame began to explain, she took out said wet cloth. “They said that it can help flush the heat out and you’d recover faster!”

“...!”

In response to her chirpy tweet, Julius had an incomprehensible look to his face. A brief moment later, said look was eclipsed with remorse.

...Maybe, he found it difficult to voice his rejection.

Well, there’s no big deal.

After all, it was but a shot in the dark.

“...I’m not sure.”

Yep. Saw it coming.

“But I guess you can help me with that.”

The witch gawked at him.

Even after his shirt had slid down his body, revealing a sturdy and yet smooth back, she was still in bedazzlement.

“How long are you going to stare?”

Seeing that nothing was being done, Julius turned around, a look of confusion crossing his gaze.

Immediately, the witch recalled why she was holding a damp towel in the first place.

“R-right! It’s just, your awesome back—I mean, feedback, surprised me!”

Thus, the witch began to wipe his back. She swore that there was a hint of a smirk on his profile.

[]

“...Ms. Witch.”

The concentration of the witch, who was focused on wiping the knight templar’s body, was interrupted by his rather breathless voice.

“What is it?”

“...What are you doing?”

“Wiping you, obviously.”

“Well, yes, but on the back of my ears—!”

In all honesty, the witch had never taken care of a sick person before. However, she was aware that a sick person should eat nutritious food and medicine to recover, and even the tidbits about flushing the heat out with a damp towel.

It was just that she had never put it on practice before.

Regardless, she was determined to complete her task...!!

...But, as always, there was an obstacle.

Due to the urgency in his voice, Ame had to pause.

“...What’s wrong?”

However, without the need to ask, she could already guess the problem.

“...I, it’s ticklish there, so don’t.”

Julius said that without turning around. After some time, it had been established that he was a shy and ticklish person, so Ame would have to keep wiping him from behind.

By completing her task, she meant wiping his body thoroughly. Nevertheless, his ticklishness was getting in the way of said goal.

“Seriously? But that’s like your 11th ticklish spot!” At that point, it almost felt the same as navigating through a field of landmines. The witch added, rather grumpily, “If you dislike it, you can always say so!”

“...What? Are you truly having misgivings about me?” As Julius responded irately, it became clear that he was playing nice no longer.

“That’s right! Instead of making things difficult for me, you should’ve refused my help since the beginning!”

Besides, it wasn’t like he was being nice, with how he purposefully made everything harder. Every time she tried to wipe a certain area on his body, he’d stop her. At the same time, he was adamant that she kept on wiping.

As such, “I don’t mind, but just not there.” And “Don’t, I’m ticklish there.” Had become his catchphrases throughout the entire thing.

Ame, who was at her boiling point, chalked it as his attempt to get back at her—a good Samaritan witch.

...A notion that apparently didn’t sit well with Julius, because he began responding in the same, if not higher, tone.

“I should be the one saying those lines—!”

“What!? Even though I merely tried to help you!?”

“After all those indecent touches, you’re still insisting that—!?”

“I, ‘indecent’—!? You, are you still holding a grudge over the incident with your nipples? As I’ve said, there’s nothing to be embarrassed of! I firmly understood that you’re ticklish, so the fact that you screamed when—”

“—Are you purposefully bringing that up to humiliate me!? What a devious woman you are! I expected nothing less from a witch!”

You—!”

The witch, who was about to get on a super-heated debate with him, decided against it.

After exhaling deeply—

—Fine.

“...?”

Julius turned around. Perhaps, because of the lack of emotion in her tone. At the same time, there was a ripple of guilt in his expression.

Despite only intending to help him, he only had misgivings about her! In his mind, she was an immoral, scheming, witch!

“...Listen, I—”

“—I won’t let you down.”

If it was a wicked witch that he wanted, then that was what he shall get.

Seeing Ame approaching with both hands raised to the air, Julius began to withdrew. The entire time, he locked eyes with her, probably to anticipate any kind of sudden movements. His instinct must had recognized her as an imminent threat.

Still, it was too late.

Soon, there was a loud thud. Unfortunately for Julius, his escape route had been blocked by the headboard. The shadow of the encroaching witch began to expand, engulfing him. As if shackled by the swelling darkness, Julius stood petrified with utter apprehension marring his expression.

Then, at the last moment—

“—W, what are you intending to do!?”

The knight templar, who finally found his voice, asked in an alarmed tone.

So, he’s capable of feeling fear.

...Then he should’ve felt so before, back when he provoked someone who has 11 of his sensitive spots mapped.

Thus, the witch lunged at him, utilizing the knowledge she had just acquired to maximum advantage!

“...Ahaha! Ms. Witch—! No—! Stop—! Hahaha—!”

Amidst his laughter, which clearly didn’t stem from the happiness of his heart, Julius was begging for his dear life. It should’ve worked on the witch’s benevolent heart—if only she wasn’t so annoyed right now.

Huuuh? But why should I, an evil witch, listen to your plea?”

It was also a first for the witch to hear the knight templar laugh so much. Therefore, it felt amusing.

“I’m sorry—! Please, haha—! I, I beg of you—! Hahaha—! Have mercy on me—! Hahaha! Stop, please—! I don’t want to laugh anymore—!”

At one point, both his panting and laughing sounded almost one and the same.

Also, the fact that she only needed to lightly graze his skin here and there to reduce him to such a sorry state seemed to confirm that he was telling the truth.

Thus, a semblance of rationality resurfaced in her mind. Ame abruptly stopped what she was doing.

Huh—?!

To a sick person, what am I doing—?!

“J, Julius—! I—!” She immediately went to assess the damage. By that point in time, no laughter could be heard from Julius. Only his erratic breathing filled the air.

Meanwhile, the man himself was hunched over. Due to trying to shield himself from the continuous impact, his back was facing her. It didn’t work, by the way, since both his side and his back were ticklish as well. One of his arms was slouched over his head, covering both of his eyes. From the gap between his shoulder and his arm, he could be seen to be gritting his teeth.

It was also important to notice that his whole body was as red as a lobster. Even his ear was beet red.

While being extremely jittery, Ame spoke to Julius. “S, sorry! I was lost in the moment! So, how are you feeling right now...?”

At that moment, Julius dropped his arm, revealing his gaze.

Hyiiieee—!!!

Although his eyes were tearful, his expression was far from pitiful. In fact, it made her wish that he’d have pity upon her soul. As of the present, he looked like a creature solely created for the purpose of dragging her—a witch—to the innermost part of Hell.

Seemingly ready to verbally shred her to pieces, his mouth, however, could only draw upon some short, pained, breathes.

Seeing that, it was as if her heart was being crushed.

“Did your fever get worse—!? I, it must be, I mean, you’re all red—!!”

 “Whose, fault... do you think it is?! You demon—!”

“Sorry—!!”

I, I can’t say anything back!

...At the same time, it feels like déjà vu?

[]

 “You’ll need to take a medicine... Thankfully, you bought one last night! Julius, do you have a clairvoyance skill? Did you foresee that you’ll be getting sick today?”

To brighten the mood, the witch told him some lighthearted jokes.

But it only awarded her a terrifying glare and a sharp hiss from the knight templar.

“Alright, alright, you didn’t appreciate being the butt of a joke. But there’s no need to hiss y’know—see? Now you’re having difficulty breathing!”

Thus, Ame began stroking his back. The knight templar muttered something under his breath—probably a curse.

Okay, he doesn’t appreciate that, either.

Regardless, she only stopped after his breathing had acquired a semblance of normalcy.

“Are you ready to take your medicine?” Ame asked after Julius was able to sit on his back again. She presented the pill in front of his mouth.

His expression unreadable, Julius eyed it briefly, before wordlessly opening his mouth, allowing her to put it inside.

“Here’s water.”

...His hand is trembling.

Ame didn’t let Julius hold the cup by himself. Instead, she helped him bring the cup to his lips. As she did so, her fingertips accidentally brushed against his, causing him to jolt.

“C, careful—!!”

Julius’ hand was shaking like crazy, and her attempt at steadying him, which was to envelope his fingertips with both hands, only made it worse. Then, he dropped the cup.

As the cup of water fell, it was as if time had slowed down—

—With her damnedest, the witch lunged forward to try and to catch the cup. In the process, she had accidentally caused Julius to fall flat on his back. As Julius watched her with utter astonishment, Ame grappled with the cup.

“—I got it!”

About the same time as her announcement, there was a splashing sound. Because its content had been reduced to half, the cup felt lighter.

As for half of its content...

The front part of Julius’ shirt clung to his body. Soaked with water, the shirt began showing the color of the skin beneath it.

Meanwhile, Julius was glaring at her, unimpressed.

If not for the medicine inside his mouth, Ame would surely be murdered by words.

But her relief was short-lived. Soon, she began to hear a chewing noise.

Did he seriously...?!

Ame was dumbstruck, for the man had just accomplished a feat that a witch like her couldn’t—

Isn’t that medicine bitter as heck?! What is he, a psychopath!?

“...Ms. Witch.”

He sounded calm. Too calm.

“—I offer my sincere apology.”

And why is that?”

His question sounded so eerie that the words just automatically leaked from her mouth.

“U, uh, for tickling you, and also for splashing water on you. B-basically, for everything! It was thoughtless of me...”

There was a brief silence, which caused the hair on the back of her neck to rise, before Julius went on.

“So, you did them without thinking?”

It sounded like a question, and at the same time, didn’t.

“That’s right, I merely wanted to catch the cup. As for the previous tickling incident, anger got the best of me, and without thinking—

“—Then, will you stop?”

It appeared that Julius was trying to remain expressionless; motionless. It also appeared that his entire body obeyed said command. His entire body—except for his eyes. In them, the traces of things he failed to subdue appeared with clarity.

At that moment, instead of a clear silver lake, Julius’ gaze was the epitome of a bottomless river. Countless implications rippled within them, none of which she could made sense of. Within them, she caught a fleeting illusion of a spark.

For the time being, let’s just answer!

“I will! Next time, I’ll be more mindful!”

“Good.”

When she thought that everything was settled, there appeared to be a continuation.

Julius spoke in a breathless voice that was neither caused by the hoarseness of his throat nor his illness—

“—Otherwise, I’d be tempted to answer in kind.”

“Eh?!”

What does that mean!?

Is he saying that he’d be “returning the favor”!? Then, doesn’t that mean that I’d be waterboarded!?

Anyway, it can’t be good! For now—

—Julius’ voice brought her back to reality.

“Also, how long do you plan to stay on top of me?”

“O, oh, right! It has become a habit!”

“...”                                                 

—For now, I have to get down!

As she descended from the bed, Julius began to sit upright. She realized that she was still holding the half-filled cup, and instantly recalled his most recent feat.

“—But, for you to casually chew on the medicine like that, the inside of your mouth must’ve tasted awful! Therefore, have some water!”

Julius silently received the cup from her and began to drink.

For the time being, she was relieved that their previous argument didn’t escalate into something bigger. It was also wonderful that he still went along with her and accepted her help.

Like that, it felt as if they were making progress.

Thus, in a flowery mood, “Actually, Julius, there’s no need to force yourself to be up, I can help you drink the water mouth-to-mouth—”

—Suddenly, Julius had a coughing fit.

“—Julius?!”

[]

As Ame entered the room, a bowl of piping hot gruel in her hand, her gaze darted towards the sleeping figure of a man on the bed.

After she had left to cook some food, it seemed that Julius had fallen asleep. Tremendous exhaustion marred his expression. Despite the layer of sweat on his forehead, his lips would sometimes shiver as if he was in extreme cold. Not to mention, he’d also cough from time to time.

Back when it first started, Julius wasn’t that worn down. She was certain that he was only feeling dizzy and hot. As of the present, new symptoms had emerged.

Then, a sudden realization hit—

I, didn’t I only make things worse?!

There was a rustling sound as the bed creaked.

“...What do you need this time?”

Seeing that Julius painstakingly woke up from his slumber just to inquire her needs, guilt welled inside her.

“S-sorry for bothering your sleep. There’s no need to force yourself to be awake—”

“...I’m merely resting my eyes.” Julius responded with an obvious lie.

At the same time, it made sense why a knight templar like him was a light sleeper. His profession required constant vigilance. Not to mention, he was in the presence of a witch.

“I’ve cooked a rice gruel for you, enjoy...!”

Ame presented the bowl of gruel to Julius. The pure white gruel was sprinkled with chopped scallions and shredded chicken.

“...”

In response, Julius only stared at her outstretched hands.

...No wonder, for she was sitting a good distance away from him.

He stared at her in silence, as if asking, ‘How am I going to reach that?’

Uh-oh... I’m so scared of messing up again, without realizing it I—

“S, sorry, umm...”

“It’s fine. I understand that you don’t want to get infected. Just put it there, I’ll receive it shortly. You may leave.”

Although Julius said so casually, he wobbled as he tried to leave the bed.

“No! There’s no need to force yourself!”

Ame immediately rushed to his side.

...It seemed that by attempting to not mess up, she had messed up.

...I’m so ashamed of myself.

As she sat by his bedside, the witch sighed deeply. At the moment, Julius was eating the gruel.

By the way, albeit sick, Julius’ movement as he brought a spoonful to his mouth was as refined as ever. However, she couldn’t help but notice that his hand was shaking from time to time.

“How does it taste? Also, are you alright? Do you—”

‘—need help?’

She swallowed the last part.

“...It’s delicious. Because I’m presently ill, my taste bud isn’t as it used to be. However, because you’ve added these greens, the saltiness of the dish isn’t compromised.”

...Wow!! I’m praised!!

Towards the anomaly that had just occurred, Ame’s eyes went wide.

Julius continued while giving her a side glance. “I’m doing fine. I require no help whatsoever.”

He said it himself. He doesn’t need help.

Her heart sank. Then, she realized that he was still staring at her.

...?

For some reason, his gaze felt expectant.

Well, her mind must had been playing trick on her. Besides, even if she were to help him, there was no saying that she wouldn’t screw up again.

“I’m glad! After you’re finished, please take a rest! There’s no need to worry about the dishes!”

“...I will.” Julius answered in a slightly dispirited tone. All the chit-chats and physical exertions must had taken a toll on him.

I should just stay silent and do nothing.

...In fact, was there even a need for her to be there?

Would a knight templar like him be able to sleep peacefully knowing that a witch like her was in the same room?

A clattering sound brought her back to reality.

From the corner of her eye, she could see Julius placing the bowl on top of the desk. There was still plenty of gruel inside.

“What’s wrong? Is it not to your taste? Or, are you perhaps full—”

“That should be my line.”

Something coarse yet warm lightly touched her cheek.

Before she knew it, Julius was peering into her face, while one of his hands remained on her cheek. Perhaps because he was having a fever, the touch of his skin felt much warmer than usual.

“What’s wrong? Did your fever from last night return?”

One could tell at a glance that he was worried. Even though he was the one with illness.

What am I doing, seriously?

The witch immediately stood up, ending their physical contact.

“There’s nothing wrong with me! I’m merely contemplating about things! Julius, after this, you’d truly go to sleep, right?”

“Yes, I promise. Be assured.”

She continued in a playful tone. “Then, do I need to watch over you as you sleep? Like some kind of guardian or something?”

“No, there’s no need.” Right on cue, Julius refused her offer.

There was a pang in her chest. Expecting a rejection and being straightforwardly rejected were two different things.

As expected, Julius considered her help as needless. Well, not like she had actually helped.

But, like she said, it was to be expected. Therefore, there was nothing else she could do about it.

Then, Julius uttered in a slightly softer voice, perhaps to assuage her dejection.

“...But if you insist—”

“—Nah, not at all, I’m going to Klavier’s!”

Just like that, she immediately went scram.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1