CHAPTER 29. Words Left Unsaid
39 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Up until that point, the witch had been an endless source of annoyance.

For Julius, that much could be said with utmost clarity.

Her words were sweeter than honey, but her actions left him feeling bitter. As evidenced by how the girl, who promised to take care of him, couldn't be found anywhere at the moment.

It wasn't like he was hoping that she'd take care of him.

Still, a promise was a promise. From the moment it was made, it was supposed to be kept.

As of the present, the way things were going triggered his principles as a knight.

But that wasn't the most annoying of all.

While lying on his back, Julius stared at the ceiling and began counting inwardly.

It's about time...

Sure enough, a few seconds later, the sound of the front door being opened could be heard. Soon after, the sound of muffled footsteps followed. The owner was making her way to his room.

Albeit Julius was still feeling drowsy, he made sure to sit upright and erase any trace of sleep from his person.

Then, the door to his room was opened, and the witch peeked through.

Upon seeing that she didn't interrupt his sleep, the relief and excitement on the witch's face was immense.

But Julius' previous action had nothing to do with that.

He was merely making sure that he wasn't giving her too much leeway, lest he got attacked again.

"Julius, good evening!"

"...Good evening, Ms. Witch. Is there anything I can help you with?"

"Ah, before anything else, do you have any complaints?"

Complaints?

The witch wasn't mistaken in that regard. He, in fact, had many. But Julius knew that wasn't what she was referring to.

"...No, none whatsoever. My fever has gone down by a lot. It's as if I'm back to full health."

"I see, that's great! But from what I heard, usually it'd return, so do make sure that you're keeping yourself warm. After all, it's—ah-choo!—very cold outside..."

"Yes, I will..." As Julius answered, he stared at her feet. "Although those words may very well be directed at yourself, Ms. Witch."

Albeit long-sleeved and with the bare-minimum of exposure, the witch's garb wasn't exactly appropriate to battle the cold final days of autumn.

What is she doing outside?

If it isn't of utmost importance, why insist on wandering around town?

If it got so cold to the point that her feet were buckling, and her nose was dripping, then what even is the point?

Instead of enduring such things, she could've just chosen not to.

She could've just chosen to stay.

"Julius, look at what I found!"

Then, with a smug smile, Ame showed something that was wrapped in a newspaper.

They appeared to be sweet potatoes. However, they were purple in color and were also steaming hot.

Julius recalled having seen it during his patrol before. If he wasn't mistaken, it was a street food that was only available during that season.

"Do you know what this is!? It's a roasted purple yam! Please have a bite, it'll surely warm you up!"

He considered it as the most annoying part of the entire ordeal—

—and that was, seeing her smile.

When he saw it, he felt like he could easily forgive anything.

"...I've seen it before, if my memory doesn’t betray me." As he remarked, Julius realized how soft his tone was. Almost as if he was being gentle.

"Then, you definitely won't regret it! It’s chewy, tasty, and swe... et...

Ame froze as traces of the previous smile disappeared from her face.

...Mayhap, because she recalled his dislike for sweets.

 “S, sorry, upon spotting it, I bought it without thinking...”

Without realizing, a soft smile tugged on his lips.

“Does Ms. Witch like it?”

“I do! But, Julius dislikes sweets, so—....”

“—Then, I’d like to try it as well.”

That was his honest thought.

Upon witnessing her smile in full bloom as she cheerfully explained the dish to him, Julius couldn't help but wonder if it was that delicious.

In the end, Julius wasn't disappointed.

He even thought that the first sweets he had tasted out of his own accord could serve as a pastime snack from time to time.

After they had enjoyed the dessert along with having a lighthearted conversation...

"...Are you still heading out after this?"

The witch visibly froze.

"O, of course! Even if I'm like this, I'm a busy person!"

"Previously, you said that it wasn't urgent."

While refusing to meet his gaze, the witch answered.

"Weeeeeell, the situation has changed."

His forgotten frustration reared its ugly head once again.

Why, why does she insist upon leaving?

That was right. The witch, who left him after lunchtime, had returned for the third time during the evening. The interval between her departure and her return was ~45 mins.

Each time, she'd come bearing gifts, usually in the form of food and drink, which he was grateful for.

However, afterwards, she'd always make a point to leave.

Even now, the witch was in the rush to do so.

He was in no position to be making any demands. He was painfully aware of that.

It was his own fault for getting sick.

The witch had her own matters to attend to.

He had no right to stop her.

"Alright, I will head out now. Julius, do you have any requests?"

Despite having been told ‘no’ thrice, Ame still asked him the same question. In the meantime, she went towards the door.

"I do."

Perhaps, because he had been asked for the fourth time, Julius faltered.

The witch was surprised for a moment. Then, she spun around and asked with bathed breath.

"What is it? Ask me anything!"

"I..." Suddenly, his throat felt dry. "It's..."

Julius knew that he wasn't one to stutter.

At the same time, he also knew that he'd answer, "It's unnecessary." To that sort of question.

So, what was he doing?

"Hmmm?"

Towards that delicate back, that kept driving further away, what was he trying to say?

"Being cooped up here, on my own, feels rather dull—..."

Since when did talking become that difficult? Moreover, his face was getting hotter for some reason. Not to mention, his heart was thumping like crazy.

His fever had picked the worst moment possible to return.

"Ooh, you're bored, I see! Then, should I go find some books that might interest you?"

"No, wait—!"

"Huh, that's not it?"

"What I'm trying to say is, ...company. I need company."

There. He couldn't be more obvious about it.

The witch, with a convincing expression, uttered.

"Alright, let me fetch an ink pen and some papers for you."

"Wait, why?"

"So that you may write letters."

"Again, why? I need company, not a new hobby. Besides, to whom shall I address it?"

"To some potential new friends on the other side of the world. Hopefully, some of them will respond—..."

"I'd long have recovered before I saw any of those replies. Also, that's it? That's your solution to me needing some company? It's awfully open-ended, and not to mention, wishful."

"Do you see me getting any visitors around here?! You're now staying at a witch's house in some mystical forest, so bear with it!"

...The conversation was getting nowhere fast. His head was also throbbing.

"Never mind, suit yourself." Then, he briefly added, “Don’t forget your umbrella.”

As Julius saw off the now hesitant and confused witch, he merely thought to himself;

She'd just return after about half an hour, anyway.

[]

Yet, after three hours had passed, the witch still didn’t return.

As he stared at the couple of empty plates and glasses of water in front him, Julius realized that he had dozed off. The bread must have hardened by then. By that time, he had reheated the soup about five times.

The pure white radish soup, with its sparkling, clear, broth, and the slices of wheat bread baked with raisins seemed truly appetizing.

...But for some reason, he just couldn’t bring himself to touch it.

Then, Julius looked up towards the skylight.

Darkness had already conquered the sky, accentuating the twinkles of stars. Oblivious to his feelings, the stars continued to shine ever so brightly.

He took it as a sign that there wouldn’t be any downpour that night.

Upon confirming that, Julius no longer spared a glance towards the makeshift dinner table. Instead, he went to bed.

‘Where are you going?’

‘Where have you been?’

Before the witch left and after she had returned, Julius didn’t ask such questions.

Not only did he feel that they weren’t in a relationship where he could simply ask them, he also had no right.

After everything she had done to ensure his speedy recovery, what right does he have?

The witch was entitled to some alone time. As for himself, he should focus on getting better. Otherwise, he wouldn’t be able to fulfill his duties.

That was right. His duties to protect the city, the church, the people, and also his beloved party members.

Back then, as long as he reminded himself of those, he could persevere through anything.

Back then, he had a purpose.

On top of the bed, Julius reached for something he had left on top of the side table.

It was a creased paper, smeared in oil. That evening, it came to him in the form of the purple yams’ wrapper. At the same time, it was also a newspaper.

That particular section detailed the achievement of his former party, now led by Reina Sue. The party, which consisted of five people, had succeeded in the subjugation of an archdemon. As of the present, they were making a name for themselves in the capital.

The moment he saw that news, a flame of pride seared in his chest—and at the same time, a chilling emptiness.

His resolve to one day returns to the battlefield alongside them remained unchanging.

At the same time, he knew that whether or not he was present in the team no longer mattered at that point.

...You did it, Reina. You’re now a full-fledged captain.

At first, he was unsure about whether or not she was up for the task. While becoming a leader definitely wasn’t an easy task, he was also worried that it’d cost Reina Sue her essence as a team member.

Reina Sue worked well as a team player. She’d always try to get along with everyone, and would also prioritize their interests. ...On the other hand, becoming a leader meant—or what he thought being a leader was...

To set up examples. To become a role model. To take up the role of an instructor, so each and every single one of them could reach their full potential.

While he gave his utmost to live up to the former two, he could never, for the life of him, fulfill the last one.

Recent events had opened his eyes to that.

The russet-haired girl, who used to stumble as she followed him around town. The ever-so modest, clumsy, and cheerful Reina Sue—she was exactly the captain they needed.

The piece of newspaper had also included a photograph. Within it, the figure of Reina Sue could be seen alongside the other four party members. They were all smiling. It was such a heartwarming sight.

After earnestly fulfilling his role as a captain, he had managed to become a respected figure. A figure that would instill fear into the other five. One that’d make them adhere to his commands while keeping their distance. An invisible barrier, so to speak. It also happened to be his most apparent success.

Reina had opened his eyes that one could be their captain—and also their closest friend.

The once precarious, rocky, and solitary path that he led as a captain, upon being trodden by Reina, opened into a clearing. One that shimmered gold as it basked in the warmth and the radiance of sunlight.

Hollowness, unlike any other, sank into his chest. He recognized the feelings, which he felt for the first time, as loneliness.

...Yes, for the first time.

All this time, there was another presence in his life who prevented it.

Julius never expected anything from anyone. If anything, he strove to become the one that fulfill everyone’s expectations. Even more so during the time he was still a captain.

Thus, when it was decided that he was to be given to the witch, despite his initial frustration—deep down, he already saw it coming.

It was nothing personal.

To the church, the loss could easily be covered by the saint. Despite not condoning their methods, Julius at the very least agreed that someone with potent healing power was worth more than a mere combat veteran.

From the moment he swore an oath to the Fenrir, his goal was never to become an iconic figure.

—Hence...

As long as the girl who once suffered destitution could continue to help those in need—

As long as his childhood friend and other party members, brimming with potential, could fight alongside each other—

As long as his people could remain safe—

—Then he was alright with everything.

Moreover, despite having plunged him into the pit of hell, the church still had ‘expectations’ for him. Proven by how he was still considered ‘the captain’, with all his previous authorities and privileges intact.

Nothing had changed.

He was still walking on the same path he had chosen for himself. Even if he no longer had any destination.

...Or so he thought.

“Julius, thank you!! You’re even more wonderful than the saint!!”

—Yet, you...

No matter how hard he pushed her away.

“Whenever you feel threatened, all you need to do is wish me away. I have little to no magic left, as such, I will probably die for sure.”

No matter how cruel he was.

“—I’m worried about you!!”

The majority of the time, he had treated her like an abhorrent creature. In his defense, he had many reasons to do so, and they were all pertaining to her being a witch.

Yet, despite not having a single reason to do so, she’d always treat him like a person.

Not as a respected figure. Not as a cog in the wheel. Not as a pawn. But as a human being.

Before he could realize it, be it her carefree smile, her nonchalant personality, her brazen attitude, and above all, her kindness—he had gotten accustomed to them.

He had grown to expect it from her.

...And he wouldn’t have it any other way.

My sickness has nothing to do with you. You may spend your day anyway you want.

...Nevertheless, the fact that she kept returning to check up on him—

I, didn’t hate the feelings...

In fact, if there was anything he disliked, then it was how she kept making a point about leaving.

Regardless, the fact that Ame was generous enough to make some time for him. The fact that despite having so much fun, she still remembered about him—

Julius became aware of it at that moment.

...I’m happy.

 []

When the witch returned, not only the skies, but her entire house was also pitch black.

While many sorts of noises could be heard within the forest, the same couldn’t be said about her dwellings.

...I, it took way longer than it should—!

Upon entering the knight templar’s room, darkness was all that greeted her.

Well, except for the area surrounding the bed, right beneath the skylight.

At that moment, the man who fell asleep on top of the pure white sheet, with his golden hair scattering beneath him, was the radiance of the moon given form.

...A Moon Fairy!

Both of his eyes were closed, his long eyelashes forming a perfect crescent.

Ame soon found herself kneeling beside the bed.

As ironic as it might sound, she was bewitched.

"What a peaceful expression!"

During her round trip that evening, without fail, Julius would anticipate her arrival. However, due to an urgent matter, she could only return a few hours later.

He must’ve thought that I won’t return for the night...

It stung, the notion that Julius could only relax when she wasn’t there. Still, she considered his peaceful sleeping appearance as the reimbursement.

I should probably be going, soon...

If someone was staring at her when she was asleep, she wouldn’t like it, either.

Still, it was nice to see him at ease. If only he could relax around her.

That way, I can look at his sleeping expression more often!

She was just kidding, of course.

Then, as Ame was about to turn to leave, she spared him one last look.

Upon doing so, she cooed—

“—I wish I can stay here forever.”

In the next moment, she found herself staring straight into his silver eyes.

[]

“...S, so—! You’re awake.”

Ame managed to stop her voice from quivering.

...Unfortunately, she failed to prevent her entire body from doing the same. Forget being anywhere close to natural, she was forever stuck in a running pose.

However, Julius didn’t care about any of that. Having sat up, he asked her.

“...Do you mean it?”

He heard it, alright. Yet, despite the futility, the witch still tried to gloss over it.

“M-mean what?”

For some reason, Julius looked truly desperate. Just one look at him and she knew that he was urging her to reply. Or rather, to provide him with the kind of answer he had in mind.

...Although Julius could just be feeling annoyed after his peaceful slumber was disturbed.

The witch concluded that the latter made more sense.

Then, the rest should be simple.

“—O, of course!”

Julius’ expression lightened up at that.

“By staying, I mean I won’t stay—!!”

...Before quickly becoming crestfallen. However, the witch was too busy chiding herself to notice.

Wow, real smooth, Anicca—!!

Thus, Ame decided that she wouldn’t prolong their misery.

“—Alright, time for me to go!”

Afterwards, the witch leaped at the door, before returning to where she belonged.

...That should be the plan, but in the next moment—

“—Uwaah!”

—The door that was left ajar. The glittering starry skies seen across the skylight. The drawer on the bedside...

As her field of view tilted upwards, Ame found herself falling. However, in the next second, a soft, fluffy, feelings cushioned the side of her body. Meanwhile, her back touched something solid. The same sensation entangled her body.

Soon, Ame found out that it came from Julius’ chest, on which she was leaning against, and his arms, to which she fell into.

“Julius, what are you...?”

As she asked such a question, she could feel his hot breath against her nape.

“...Did I give you a hard time?”

Huh?

“Was taking care of me burdensome?”

“—No way!”

When Ame was about to turn around, Julius tightened his grip around her, preventing any kind of movement.

Don’t. Answer my question without turning around.”

Something in his commanding tone just left no room for disobedience.

...Is it because he was a captain?

“Uhm...”

The seriousness in his tone made her ponder.

Looking back, she could say for certain that Julius was a poster boy for well-behaved patient. On the other hand, reflecting on her past actions, she understood why she didn’t and would never be allowed to work on a medical setting.

After mulling the answer for some time...

“...You, are an extraordinary patient that anyone would like to have!”

“Then why did you leave?”

“—!”

Certainly, there was no denying that.

Nevertheless, she had a valid reason as to why she did it.

A valid reason which remained unheard because she couldn’t muster a word.

She just... didn’t expect him to be that sad.

“I’m fully aware that it’s my own fault that I fall ill, and you’re under no obligation to care for me...”

The arm encircling her body faltered, while his warm breath spilled to her ear—in which he delivered a burning statement.

But you promised.”

Yes, she in fact did.

But even if so—

“—I, I just didn’t think that you’d want me around!”

She was so desperate to explain herself. As for the reason why, she didn’t know.

Perhaps, because she could somehow vividly picture his expression at that moment.

His painful, betrayed, expression.

A voice came from behind.

“Why would you think that...?”

Julius’ tone was full of disbelief.

Even more shocked than him, Ame responded.

“After everything I did, why would you want me to stay? Or, did you forget?”

...Did his fever cause a lapse in memory?

At first, it sounded highly unlikely. But the more she thought about it, the more convinced she became.

I-I see, it must be due to his fever...

Finally, there was a semblance of sense. Towards that, she involuntarily relaxed—

“—I didn’t.”

However, as if reading her mind, Julius gave an astute reply.

“...I won’t. Because in my entire life, that was the most I've ever been humiliated.”

There it was.

Merely hearing that gave her chills, and her mind went blank, especially due to his emotionless tone.

Before she knew it, she had closed her eyes.

“—But I never told you to leave, didn’t I...?”

Upon hearing that, her eyes widened instantly.

Indeed.

He never did.

Nevertheless, she was aware of how much her actions sucked, and that sometimes, rejection was implicit, rather than stated outright.

What he said just now changed everything.

Of course, there was a part of her that doubted it.

After all, she wasn’t gullible enough as to swallow the words of a feverish man—one who considered her as his natural enemy, none the least.

“...I won’t. Because in my entire life, that was the most I've ever been humiliated.”

Had he followed his previous statement with a barrage of scathing remarks, she’d still be able to sleep peacefully that night. Because it made perfect sense—or at least, according to her own logic.

However.

If.

If what he said before was the reflection of the truth.

“Julius, by that, do you mean...?”

Silence.

“...Do you actually not want me to leave?”

More silence.

It was to be expected.

She just couldn’t imagine Julius clamoring about wanting her to stay.

Despite this, she still found herself asking:

“Do you... want me to stay?”

In coalescence to the words left unsaid, his grasp around her tightened.

0