Chapter 10: The Transfer – Part 10
100 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"... How did you transfer here?"

"Wha-? ... Logan!"

With the three students making their way across the school campus to the arenas, Logan takes the opportunity to pose a question to Sam that has been dwelling in his mind for a bothersome period of time. This causes Carrie to react, finding the question invasive.

"You're wondering the same thing too, aren't you?" Logan responds stubbornly.

"It's none of our business!" Carrie scolds him.

She turns to Sam who is watching with questioning eyes, "you don't have to answer him," Carrie informs Sam.

"I don't mind," he replies casually, "but ... I don't really know how to answer that question."

"What does that mean?" Logan reacts.

"Transferring schools isn't weird, right? I mean, it happens all the time. And what kid knows how they end up in a different school anyway? Parents are the ones that handle all of that stuff. So, I can't answer how."

It is a sound point that Sam makes, and if this were a regular school back on earth, Logan could not fully argue against it. However, this world is different. Its system and society have a defined structure where every participating member, including students, understand their roles and objectives very well.

Logan narrows his gaze, "you expect me to believe that?" he asks.

In his eyes, Sam asserting ignorance makes him seem even more suspicious. There is no doubt in Logan's mind that there is more to Sam's transfer than he lets on. It cannot be stressed enough how a transfer student is something unheard of in Roan Academy, to be given such preferential treatment leaves a lot of questions to be answered.

"It's the truth," Sam replies. 

But Logan is not the only one with such thoughts, they cross Carrie's mind as well. Fortunately, no student is obligated to share their reasons for attending the academy, and in many cases, student objectives are set by their sponsors who may demand some level of confidentiality.

So, from Carrie's point of view, her squad mate is prying into too much.

"Logan, knock it off..." she grits her teeth.

With that, Logan decides to back down, "I guess I'm overthinking it," he says, "you're still just a welfare student. How much influence can some charity actually have?"

Sam tilts his head with his eyes wondering about for answers, "uh ... 'kay, now I'm really confused!" he exclaims, "what do you mean by welfare student?"

 "That's what you are," Logan responds in a snarky tone, "your backer is who gets you here, and it's some unknown charity organization. So, you're a welfare student."

"Really?" an amused and puzzled Sam chuckles, "that's news to me..."

"What?!" Logan yelps, surprised by Sam's response.

"Well, you keep saying things that don't make any sense," Sam shrugs.

"No, you keep saying things that make no sense," Logan snaps back. He turns to Carrie in visible frustration, "What is with this kid?!" he groans.

"Yeah, that is strange," Carrie responds. "Every student has an organization that supports them through their entire academy life, it's really weird you wouldn't know about yours, Sam. You would have to know from day one who is sponsoring you since that's who pays for your housing, tuition, supplies, equipment, medical expenses, and gives you an allowance every month."

"That ... does sound like something I should know ..." Sam says slowly.

"You should check your student profile, there's a detail section for your listed sponsor that only you can access. You also have your student wallet that shows your finances, you want to know what you have to work with while you're living here," she recommends.

Sam pulls out his tablet device and scours his information, intending to learn more about what Carrie and Logan are talking about. Though he has his personal reasons for coming to this world, the thing about having a sponsor is something he knows very little of.

"So, what's the deal with charities then?" Sam asks with his focus still on his device, "I get the feeling we just don't like them?"

"It means you are the lowest in society," Logan with a quick response.

"Ah... I see," Sam mutters, nodding with a smile on his face.

Carrie notices Sam's sudden bitter mood behind his smile and jumps in before things take a turn for the worst, "there's a lot about Roan you don't know yet, I can explain a few things-" she tries to reason Logan's provocative words.

"Please," Sam says and tucks away his device.

"Well, you have to understand that there are a set of standards and norms every person here follows. It is what this settlement and its systems were founded on. Even though Tillmor is a shared venture, every participating organization that funds the continued expansion of this place is competing to get whatever they can from this world."

"So?"

"These organizations spend a lot of money and resources here, so they expect to get something in return," Carrie continues. "They find the most gifted students to represent them hoping that when they reach their potentials, it will increase their stature and put them in the best possible position of power in the future. Which means their influence extends into the academy, creating a sort of hierarchy."

"So, students who represent these influential groups sit at the top of this social ladder, looking down on charities that try to do good for the rest of us commoners?" Sam retorts.

"You really don't know anything," Logan grumbles. "Charities rely on donations from the same wealthy organizations that already spend insane moneys to make this place better, and the students who represent these groups are already burdened with stressful demands from their sponsors, while your types of organizations simply take and take and take ... and take."

Sam's eyes narrow, "that's a funny way to justify discrimination," he says in an icy tone.

unmoved, Logan tells him "without these students and their sponsors giving aid, you wouldn't even exist. That's what it means to be a welfare student. The best you can do is recognize where you belong."

Sam scoffs at Logan's words and the thought of what it all could mean for him attending Roan. This world is bound and determined to give him a hard time in every which way Sam looks.

"Well, what can say?" Sam sneers, "I tend to get a little rebellious."

 

0