Mysteries Underlying Swordspell Part 1
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, what brings you to the guild, sir Swordspell?” I said with a wide grin on my face, settling into the chair in my chambers behind my desk. Opposing me sat, comfortably, the rumoured Swordspell adventurer. The star rookie or child prodigy. 

 

“Don’t pretend to be unaware of my intentions of coming here. I know all guilds have a private information service to inform all guilds of upcoming events, news, distributions or even records on new and old adventurers, including their belongings that would be sent across on behalf of their wish. I’m sure you have been informed of my intended appearance here.” His voice was harsh and straight to the point. He wasn’t interested in any leisurely chat. He had things he wanted to achieve by coming here. 

 

After the commotion outside had settled from Swordspells cruel punishment, I had orderly calmed down the increasing arousal in attraction and outrage from the adventurers present. Fortunately, I had managed to soothe everybodies angst feelings and agreed to compensate everyone with a beer in the house to anyone willing. People naturally flocked to that and left their dying comrade to be dealt with by us. 

 

This currently brings us to the conversation I’m having with this breakout adventurer. I had invited him into my chambers underground and had us left alone so we could discuss his matters. 

 

“Ahahaha.” I awkwardly laughed and scratched my cheek, but Swordspell seemed highly unamused by my playful nature and dismissed me with an exasperated sigh. In certain situations, he still imitated the appearance of a child. But what kind of life would someone have to live through to be this mature at his age. 

 

“Yes, I do indeed understand why you are here. I deeply apologise for my ignorance. I will be more honest with you next time. A cowlick from my slicked black hair, seemed to annoyingly fall into the view of my circular glasses. “However, before we move to that, I do have to remind you that you will face massive repercussions for your actions. You have committed a crime and I will unfortunately have to report it. It’s quite lucky for you that we will be able to sustain him in the facility we sent him to.  You may get less time from the official if you also act apologetic.”

 

“There’ll be no need for a court matter or let alone any false atonement heard from any testimony answered by me. You know how the officials in the government are. All a bunch of money-grubbing bastards. As long as I pay them a hefty amount, I’m sure they’ll be able to disregard a certain somebody and erase all my connections to him.” My ears were so unprepared to hear this kind of reply, my glasses began slipping off my nose onto the tip. 

 

The way a child of such a young age understood how officials worked and intentionally went through with his actions because he knew he could get away with it is quite amazing. I briskly ran my hand through my hair and tried to recollect the little slick that unruly stuck out of my poised hairstyle before speaking up. 

 

“I have to hand it to you, that is some impressive knowledge for someone so young. No wonder you were able to collect such a title as “child prodigy”. However, as those money-grubbing bastards are my employers, I would sincerely appreciate it if you wouldn’t refer to them as such. Thank you.”

 

He contemporarily rolled his eyes and at my manners and slouched in the cushioned seat. “Let’s actually get down to business now, shall we?”

 

“I think that is what you came here for, so it would be rude to make you wait any longer.” I said clasping my hands and correcting my posture to be more upright.

 

“You’re quite the vicious character, ey? Well never mind, we can come back to that. Firstly, I’m sure you received the things I have transferred here through the guild just up north. I’m here to collect those.” His voice commanded me as his index finger traced along the map of the nation that rested on my desk as a commonplace. 

 

“Could you confirm the items you wishfully transferred?” I asked. I already knew what they were, but it was a somewhat security protection against thieves trying to impersonate others. There were other methods to deter such situations from arising, but I was confident the person in front of me was the acclaimed Swordspell. 

 

  “Right. I sent over, in my recollection, a golden staff infused with a draconic crux, the hide of a Brawler and Blood lapis’s.” The extent of this list alone was worth an incalculable amount that baffled me originally and even now brought about the same effect. These items were hard to get by any means, even if you’re stealing them. 

 

“Right away sir, I will bring them out in just a few minutes.” I informed him, rising from my desk and stepping out of the office. 

 

Following my departing words, I pressed the door open to my office and carried in on a tray the items he had specifically transported over. 

 

A loud crashing noise erupted as the ponderous weight of the belongings rested on the frail wooden desk of mine that was already creaking from its years of tireless work spent there.  

 

Swordspell paid no mind to it and began rummaging through the tray and checking the condition of the items I relinquished back into his possession. 

 

“So sir, by any chance is there another name that you go by. One that isn’t a title given to you?” I asked out of consideration for both my time and his. 

 

His stare remained glued to the staff he scanned with the small rays of mana outputting from his hand. “You can call me Eli.”

 

He breathed a quiet response. 

 

“I see, Eli it is. Well then Eli, I do have a question for you. Are you willing to sell these items to the guild? We would be willing to pay the appropriate price your eyes settle on.”

 

“Actually, on that note, I was looking to sell a few of these items, but I wasn’t looking to do it from where I had originally sent them from. After all, though they have a great track record of treating adventurers well, they have a contrastingly bad record of low balling prices for rare items sold by clueless adventurers conned into believing they came out with a huge profit margin. Not the guilds fault for idiots such as these, but not something that I’m willing to dabble in. I hoped to receive a fair price by coming here and I’m sure I will, right?”

 

“Of course I can guarantee that for you. But which objects are you going to be selling?” I asked curiously, my eyes already getting far ahead than what was in my hands. 

 

“I am looking to sell…the Brawlers hide.” As his words left his mouth, a distasteful scorn lacking empathy shaped my features. 

 

“How very disappointing Eli. I was hoping to land a great treasure, but instead you offer me the least valuable of the three things.”

 

“Well I can give you the golden staff, it’s just that I will be extracting the draconic crux from it.” He bargained, trying to lighten up my soured mood. 

 

“Well certainly a staff of that calibre could be a good acquisition, but it is a shame that it will be without its key component.” 

 

His eyes only sharpened at my flickering eyes and my extending lashes with a discreet pleading face. 

 

“Get over yourself. Anyway, for these two items, I’ll be requesting 2,500 gold Percy’s.”

 

“Understood sir. I will get the money prepared in just a second. In the meantime, please remove the draconic crux from the staff before my disappointment consumes me.”

 

“You have an awful way with words. Almost as twisted as that personality of yours.” He heavily scolded me, turning his body away and squinting at me with disgust. I only raised an eyebrow to his comment and gathered the money. 

 

“Ok, there.” He said, plucking the azure stone shining brightly and storing it in his bag hanging near his waist. “Let’s move onto the real reason why I’m here shall we. Roughly about a week ago, when I was in the guild directly north from here I was informed of a certain topic I was interested in. They tried to get the information to me there, but they said the delay would be too long to request the information and then consult me about any questions I would have. So I was sent here on a lead. Do you have it available for me?” His tone of voice quickly switched, like I began conversing with a different person. It was much easier before, but now it held a deep strangled rage bubbling beneath his skin.

0