Mysteries Underlying Swordspell Part 3
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Elias Ashburn POV:

 

“The place where the hero Milo Xander disposed of the evil threat Evert Lagin and destroyed any foundation and strength that Angel had built up.” His last words rang in my ear. My grip tightened around my thighs and my fingers slowly dug in until I soothed my seeping rage and surprise.

 

“But what are they doing on the surface? And there of all plac-!” My thoughts finally became ironed out, clad in clear white that visualised brilliantly in my mind. They could only be there for one thing. “I have a question. After the deciding fight, did the government, or any of the nations, as a matter of fact, collect all of the artefacts and legendary items? Or did they leave them?”

 

An amused smirk twisted on his face. “Of course they did. Did you really think they would leave some of the most dangerous weapons out there for them to be robbed? The Sword of Wrath and Axe of Chaos are both stored in the capital watched in the Garden of Life.” His words beckoned ease to creep into my heart, but the sweat slowly peeling off my forehead for now would remain. 

 

“But then what could they possibly be looking for?” I asked.

 

“That’s the thing, nobody knows of their goals or plans. Even back when Milo defeated Evert and halted Angel, nobody truly knew of their intentions but only of the chaos they reaped throughout the land. I’m sure this interests you, yes?” His words paused as he noticed the burning flame kindling in my scarlet corneas staring him down, starved. “I will notify the rest of the guild leaders that for the time being, you will be the one investigating this matter. Of course, as I’m sure you’ve been told, report all information you discover to the guilds. An exchange for the leads. Good luck.” 

 

“Thank you, but luck is only required for those who aren’t strong enough. I’m more than capable of fighting my battles.”

 

“Your words nor tone of delivery remind me of a young child. What must you have gone through?”

 

“Stop with your creepy manners. Geez. Your speech and how you put people above yourself is revolting.”

 

“What could you mean?” He sharply turned his head towards me, his gaze lingering on my figure.

 

“All Guild leaders are at least SS-ranked adventurers, yet you act so below your achievements. Almost like you’re looking down at people whilst interacting with them in this sincere and serving tone. But you can’t fool me, Lloyd Glader. The strongest of all the Guild leaders and former Supreme commander of the Ghost squadron. The strongest and the nations most able assassins squadron with an average combat ability of that of SSS-rank adventurers. The only person recorded in history alongside Milo and Evert to claim the ranking of Z.”

 

His whole persona immediately reversed. A sinister umbral terrorising ambience swelled behind me and collapsed its tremendous weight on me. My breathing now hindered, forcing me to fall to my knees and gasp for the escaping oxygen before the tyrannical oppression fell.  

 

“That’s what I was expecting of someone of your calibre. From the man who’s arguably the strongest man in the current world. But for how long will that remain?”

 

His inquisitive eyebrows raised and he repositioned his sliding glasses. “Are you…threatening me?” 

 

“Merely challenging. Before I go, if you could do me such a kind favour, I would like to spar with you. After that I will immediately set off.” I was curious how far away I was from my original strength. Lloyd will have been weaker than me, but not by a great margin. He would be a great benchmark. 

 

His eyes fell behind the curtain of his shadow before responding coldly. “I can’t accept your offer. Today, that is. I will spar you tomorrow when I have made time, but currently you and I have different matters to attend to. Relinquish yourself of the other business you might have here and so will I. Then I'll call you back over here. Be ready.”

 

With that, arguably the last bit of business I originally came here for was finalised. It will however, only truly be complete depending on the future of tomorrow. 

 

Upon walking out of his office and entering the main part of the guild, everyone was still far too tense. Only quiet whispers swept the floor as eyes dashed towards mine and reflexively away once I directed my attention towards them. 

 

I suppose I’ll stay at an inn nearby, I thought. 

 

Once paying the fee for a single room for a single night, I steadfastly walked up the stairs. Upon locking my door behind me and lighting the candles present in the room, sparking a gentle warm incandescence that filtered with the dark and frigid air from the open window, I collapsed onto my bed, and gave a huge relieved sigh. 

 

“It’s good to rest in a bed after a long time…” Words slipped from my mouth, as I recalled being set down to bed by two cordial figures looming over me, but not frighteningly so, instead more like guardians compassionately attending to me. Their tender gazes presently and vividly visited me on such lonely nights, but today was the first that I would sleep in a bed since I saw my ruined home and my dead parents. 

 

“I wonder what you guys are up to? Probably resting, and as you should. Thank you for teaching me all you could. Sorry for being such a bad and unworthy son and sorry for not being able to reciprocate such simple feelings as love.” My fingers massaged one of my gold hooped earrings. The matching pair was nicely fitted on my other ear. They weren’t actual earrings, but they were the only way I felt I could store this memory of them, and forever symbolise their love, maybe even generations down. It was their engagement rings that I savaged of their bloodied corpses. Cleaning them was a bit of a hassle and forcefully piercing myself with them was painful, but I knew it wasn’t even one one thousandth of what they felt in their last moments. 

 

“Watch over me, mother, father. Give me your time and I’ll show you a world brighter than what you can experience even up there.”

0