Chapter 1 – The Start of School
682 3 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Ishida Shiki's POV)

The start of spring brought about the beginning of a new school year.

For me, it was the start of my first year in high school as a freshman. Unlike the rest of the students my age, I did not walk into the school compound with high hopes and dreams of what high school has to bring. No, I walked into the compound ready to begin a new year of slacking.

My last experience with high school was...not the most pleasant one.

Embarrassing moments, especially the ones in high school, tend to leave a person with a bit of trauma you see. I, for one, could recount countless embarrassing moments of my time in high school and truly, repetition of such events is not something I would enjoy.

Now you may be wondering; 'What does he mean by 'last experience with high school' when this is his first year?'

Unless you've skipped the synopsis before you read this, it should obvious that this is not my first life. I am someone referred to as a reincarnator...or was it a transmigrator? Hmm.

Either way, the point is, I am someone who has lived a life before this one. Memories of my past life were with me since birth so it is unlikely that I've made it all up in my mind. But what solidifies this as real is something else.

It is the fact that this world I have crossed over to is the same one in a shoujo manga I once read during my otaku phase in high school.

The manga was called; 'Senpai and I, His Precious Kouhai.'

From the name alone, one could guess how this manga would go. It was a typical high school romance story featuring a cold, handsome senpai, and a cute, lovely kouhai. The two met each other in Junior high school where they became friends. However, after the senpai moves overseas, their friendship is cut off and they forget about each other. Then as fate would have it, the two are reunited in high school but the senpai has forgotten the kouhai.

Through various events and drama that takes place in high school, the senpai finally remembers the kouhai, and the two fall in love before getting together shortly after.

All in all, it was a cliché love story that takes place at the pinnacle period of youth.

As for how I came to know this, it was because I went to the same Junior high as the two main characters and witnessed their friendship in person.

This brings me to the next point; who am I in the story?

Heh. That's a simple answer.

Fortunately, I am just an extra. An extra with no relevance at all. In other words, I had the freedom to act as I pleased without affecting the plot. What's more, I wouldn't be involved in unnecessary teen drama and was free to spend my days snoozing and slacking off.

Honestly, what better life was this?

Goals, dreams, aspirations - none of that mean anything to me. In my previous life, I accomplished what I wanted to do after years of hard work. I treated this new life of mine as a vacation. Free to slack, free to snooze.

That is my motto.

"Um, you're blocking the way."

"Eh?"

Hearing an unfamiliar voice from behind me, I turned around and stumbled back before bowing.

"Ah, sorry 'bout that."

Straightening my back, I looked up at the owner of the voice and was momentarily taken aback. It was a good-looking boy with brown hair, a stern face, wearing a pair of glasses situated on the crook of his nose. He was taller than me, but not that much taller. Just a couple of centimeters.

"It's fine," he answered. His voice matched his stern look. It seemed he was unwilling to converse longer than needed as he soon walked away without so much as another glance.

'Alright then. I'm not looking to socialize much either.'

Shrugging, I adjusted my bag strap and followed the crowd of freshmen through the courtyard ignoring the numerous club advertisements shoved my way.

Sorry, the only club I'm joining is the going-home one.

Suddenly, there was a flyer in my face stopping me in my tracks. Peeling it off, I looked at the senior who planted it there only to find her sporting an embarrassed expression.

"Ack! I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to slam it on your face!" The girl did a ninety-degree bow. Her sincerity was appreciated but slightly uncomfortable.

Taking a step back, I held up my hands and said, "It's fine. No harm done. You can stop the bowing...please..."

"Ah, right," the girl straightened up. Her appearance was average but she radiated a positive aura - the kind that attracted people. Clearing her voice, she gestured to the flyer in my hand and said, "Um...would you be interested in joining the cooking club? We meet everyone afternoon after school in Classroom 2-H."

"I'm not interested, thanks," I turned down the invite without hesitation.

Her expression fell for a moment before she smiled, "No worries. But if you're ever interested, just come and find Tanaka-sensei. He's our club advisor. Or you can just find me, I'm a third-year student. The name's Kondo Sachi."

"Thanks, Kondo-senpai," I said. I waited for her to go back to her booth before stuffing the flyer in my pocket and walking toward the main building.


"Good morning class. Welcome to your first year in high school at Kaisei High. I'm your homeroom teacher, Fujiyama Shizue. You may refer to me as Fujiyama-sensei or Fuji-sensei for short," a gentle-looking woman said as she stood at the front of the classroom.

Pushing up the glasses on the bridge of her nose, she looked around the classroom with a smile before saying, "Now that I've introduced myself to you, it is time you do the same. Stand up where you're sitting and state your name, age, and your favorite hobby. Starting from the back."

Pointing to the far end of the classroom on the right, she motioned for the boy sitting there to stand up.

As I turned around, I saw the boy get up from his seat with hesitance. He wasn't able to make eye contact with anyone as there was a tremble in his hands.

Stuttering out the words, he shyly said, "H-Hase Yoichi, f-fifteen. My hobby is reading."

An average response.

After he sat down, the next person went.

"Yoshimi Kyoko, fifteen years old. I like dancing."

"Rokuda Shun..."

"Handa Seijuro..."

"Nobara..."

Until it was finally my turn. Standing up from my seat, I introduced myself, "Ishida Shiki. Seventeen. My hobby is...reading."

I almost blurted out sleeping. After Fuji-sensei nodded her head, I sat down and zoned out for the rest of the class.

19