Chapter 2 – A Peek of The Past
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Growing up in the tranquil city of Kagoshima, I lived with my parents and a new addition to our family, my little sister. However, before my sister was born, my days were often lonely, with my working parents frequently away from home, leaving me to spend my time alone. That was until I met our neighbor's child, Harada Yuuna.

We first met when I was starting elementary school. Despite being shy and reserved at first, Yuuna eventually opened up to me, and I found my first true friend. Unlike the shallow connections I had with my classmates, my bond with Yuuna grew stronger with each passing day. We spent our free time playing at the nearby park or playing video games at my house. Our moments together were never dull.

Then one day, the arrival of my little sister marked a new chapter in my life. I was no longer an only child and had someone to care for and protect. The feeling of excitement and happiness that came with her birth was indescribable. It felt as if more of the world was opening up to me.

The bond between Yuuna and my sister Mei grew stronger with each visit Yuuna made to our home. In fact, Yuuna had a more profound impact on Mei than our own parents did. Despite the addition of Mei, Yuuna and I continued to spend time together, almost like our duo had expanded. Yuuna was always willing to step in and take care of Mei, showing a natural talent for it that even surpassed my own as her older brother.

As we approached the end of our elementary years, we made the decision to attend the same middle school after graduation. Yuuna was a star student, with a goal to attend a private prestigious school known for its academic excellence. I, on the other hand, was just an average student. But this never stopped Yuuna from offering her help, guiding me in my studies, and pushing me to improve my grades. Despite all the times she lent a hand, she never asked for anything in return, her selflessness inspiring me to work harder and strive to reach her level so that I could stand proudly beside her on the same stage.

After Yuuna and I graduated from our elementary school, we both applied to Aoyama Middle School and were lucky enough to be accepted and placed in the same class. Although we were seated apart during classes, we still made the most of our break times and hung out together.

During my first year of middle school, I joined the sports club just for fun, while Yuuna joined a cultural club. In the sports club, I became close to one of my classmates, Kawano Hiroki, who turned out to be in the same class as me. After classes, we'd go to the club together, and eventually, Hiroki got to know Yuuna as well, as Yuuna and I always waited for each other before going home. Our group grew as the three of us became closer.

It was still the first trimester, but there were buzzing rumors about a foreign girl with blonde hair, Alice Hofmann, who was said to be in the class next to ours. Although it was natural for rumors to circulate even if she was just another foreigner, I was also curious to see what she looked like, as I had never seen a genuine blonde-haired person. According to the rumors, Alice couldn't speak Japanese, but that didn't stop her from becoming a hot topic within the school.

However, as time passed, the rumors died down, and Alice was no longer the celebrity she once was. She didn't communicate with anyone, which made her appear lonely, but she was still considered a famous beauty and even topped the academic rankings as second, just below Yuuna who was first.

Every time I saw Alice on campus, she was always alone, which reminded me a bit of my own loneliness before I met Yuuna. Although she didn't speak Japanese, her grades were excellent, even in Japanese. I wondered if she simply preferred to be alone, or if she didn't want to be bothered.

One day, during a club break, I saw Alice walking outside with a flower pot in her hand. My curiosity got the better of me, and I followed her to the school garden. To my surprise, she was arranging the plants with a smile on her face, seemingly enjoying herself.

I walked up to her and greeted her, unsure of what would come next, but eager to find out.

"Hey."

She looked up from her work, her smile dissipating in the process, and glanced at me with a neutral expression before looking back to the flowers. The silence between us was palpable, and it was clear that she didn't want me there. But I couldn't help feeling drawn to her and I was determined to start a conversation.

Although I'm not an expert in flowers, my sister was a flower enthusiast who shared her knowledge with me about the symbolic meaning of various flowers. As I looked closer at the flowers she was tending, I noticed she was working with what appeared to be white daisies. But wait, I remembered my Mei mentioning that chamomile flowers could also resemble white daisies. I couldn't recall the specific differences between the two, but the yellow center of the flower seemed larger than average. Taking a chance, I asked.

"Are those flowers perhaps chamomile?"

Alice glanced at me while still maintaining a neutral expression.

"Yes, these are chamomile."

She spoke! And she spoke in Japanese! So, she does know how to speak. This is great, if I could just keep up the conversation, I could perhaps get a chance to know her. But with my little knowledge of flowers, how could I possibly keep up?

Maybe if I try to recall the meaning of chamomile. I know I read it in the book that Mei gave me. Now, for its meaning... uh... Pa-patience... Oh, I remember!

"If I remember correctly, chamomile in the language of flowers means something about patience in adversity."

"It seems that you know your flowers well. Perhaps you too have a hobby of tending to flowers?"

Great! I nailed it on that one! But now what should I do, I can't deceive her about tending to flowers, I'd probably just end up digging my own grave at that point.

"Uhm, not really. I have a little sister who's quite fond of flowers and their meaning. I just ended up knowing these things because of her."

"I see."

"I also like the fact that chamomile makes a great tea."

After my random and naive comment, I noticed a change in her expression. The previously fading smile reappeared on her face, but with a hint of amusement. Was she possibly giggling at my remark?

She gracefully stood up from tending to the flowers, she brushed off any remaining dirt from her skirt with gentle, yet deliberate movements.

"I come here every day after class to tend to the plants since no one really wants to deal with them. I volunteered to take care of them. And it's getting late already, so I'll head home."

"Then see you again tomorrow Hofmann-san."

She reached for her bag resting on the wooden table by the shed. A small, respectful bow followed as she bid me farewell, before turning on her heels and making her way back home.

As we talked, I couldn't help but feel my heart flutter with nerves and excitement. I was struck by a rush of emotions that I had never experienced before. I couldn't quite put my finger on when exactly I had fallen for her, but I knew at that moment, as we conversed, that my feelings for her were undeniable. Our first meeting left a lasting impression on me.

I decided to explore a bit and strolled around the lush and verdant school garden, my gaze was drawn to a corner where a pitiful sight caught my eye. A once-vibrant plant, labeled "Blackthorn," was now wilted and lifeless, its blooms littering the ground. The neglect of this plant was a mystery to me until I discovered the care it was still receiving. The soil was moist and I could see remnants of fertilizer nearby, proving that someone was still trying to save it. The efforts to revive the plant are most likely Alice's doing.

0