Chapter 17.0 – Varangian Escape I
76 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Row harder! Do not drop your shields! Whether fire catches your clothes whether your skin turns to char or melts!”

#

Nine days earlier, Constantinople

“Gustave, did you see what’s going on outside?” whispered Erik into my ear.

I turned away from the scrolls I used to learn Latin. “Look at me. If I’m not here playing with these scrolls, I’m melting away at the furnaces. Do you think I’ve had the chance to see which weirdo pulled out his dick in front of a church this time?”

“That isn’t exactly the problem,” said Erik.

“Then did Komodor order us to build another smelter?” I asked. What did he want me to do? I had no time for this.

“That isn’t right either.”

“Then what is it?” For fuck’s sake, this guy couldn’t speak his mind. I feared what would have happened had he become our leader.

“Well, hundreds,” he looked down and rubbed his forehead. “If not thousands of lizards have started to nibble on the corpses of the dead citizens.”

My legs which were about to kick the incompetent man child calmed down. I let my back sink into my velvet chair. The one positive of this new life was that everyone could live in the houses of great nobles and merchants.

“And Komodor didn’t let you chase them away.” I guessed.

“No, he spends his days taking care of them. He killed a Roman when he accidentally stepped on a baby lizard.”

#

Six days earlier, Constantinople

Night patrol was pleasant enough. The stars shined bright, and the road was lit up by torches of undying fires. Fires made from the flames of Komodor.

I continued down the road and hopped over a lizard the size of my foot. Just a few days ago they were no bigger than my palm, however, they had doubled in size and now scurried around the roads and overgrown gardens. Thankfully, their scales shined red, green, yellow, and gold under the faint ray of the orange lights, making it easier to avoid them as we patrolled the grounds.

A muffled yell came from far away, “Someone, help me, quick!”

I turned and peered down the side streets to my right and left. Small flames fluttered in both alleyways. Illuminating the stone path and what seemed like human legs. The voice seemed to come from my right, I ran down that path.

When I came to the light, I strained my eyes to attempt to identify the human figure, but the flame wavered and disappeared. The wisp of passing smoke smelled of burnt flesh.

I took out my axe and kept my opposite hand in front of me. Hot water splashed on my foot, I swung back my fist, but did not turn, in fear it was a distraction. However, perhaps because I did not take the bait, nothing appeared, either from my front or back.

Heat started to waft from the walls and sparks flew from the stone which made up the road, and the bricks which made up the walls. The rain of light sprinkles illuminated the figures of men. They all stood against the walls.

“Who are you?” I yelled in Latin. My voice echoed through the side street, and the sparks followed my words to the end of the alleyway. As the sparks travelled down the figures of more humans appeared, glued to bricks, and stones. Some hung from above. They did not move, breathe, nor shuffle around and let my echo remain pure, untainted, and crisp.

I took a step back, a second, and then a third before I pivoted and ran back towards the illuminated street. However, the further I stepped the hotter and dryer the air became.

There was only one person who could create such an environment. “Komodor, what is going on?” I yelled. However, he did not answer. I kept running, true lights grew brighter as I neared the exit. Five metres, four metres, three metres, and soon two.

A black tarp fell from the sky and smothered all lights. Heat cranked up, and air dried. My skin cracked and stings brought me to my knees. And then a spear pierced my thigh.

The tarp fell. Lights reappeared. Heat dispersed and moisture returned. I collapsed on the now cold rocks below. As my eyes strained to stay open, I caught the glimpse of a small lizard, head down, and a tear in his eye as he faced a giant orange lizard.

#

“Hey, Moro,” said Komodor looking down at his remorseful child. "You can’t go around traumatizing humans. They are the workers. Are you gonna do the work if he dies?”

The lizard shook his head.

“OK, then don’t do this again. You’ll get more than enough time to play around when you grow up a bit. You’re just a few days old. Give it a few months and I’ll let you go play outside with your siblings.”

Moro shook his head up and down.

Komodor crouched down and patted the child’s head. He was only as big as a human leg, but he would no doubt grow up to be big and strong. “Moro, you are strong, but you are still young. You will be young for a few years. Until then make sure to work on your strength so you can become a great protector of father. After all, I can’t defend the gold all by myself.”

Moro looked up to his father, jumped on his shoulder before he rubbed his head on Komodor’s chin, and wrapped his tail around his neck.

“OK let’s go,” said Komodor. He stood up, turned around, and examined the human. He had a small chunk of meat bitten out of his leg, but other than that he looked fine, so Komodor just heated up his finger and pressed it against the man’s wound. The skin and muscle sizzled for a bit and the bleeding stopped. He took him with his other hand and proceeded to bring him back to camp.

#

Three days earlier, Constantinople

All night I looked through scrolls of Latin. However, not a single word could be understood. Not a single letter could I recognize. Erik had yet to return, and I couldn’t get out of this bed without stumbling and ending up on my knees after a few steps. I peered down to my leg, although the injury was minor, red marks spread across my skin and sent searing jolts of pain throughout my leg.

The door finally open and I turned to see Erik, sweat poured from his forehead. We didn’t have time to lose and so I asked, “How many have we lost?”

“Eleven,” he muttered.

In silence I sat for a minute, collecting my thoughts, but I couldn’t. I ripped the scroll and threw it on the ground.

“You’re telling me that in one night we lost eleven men. Or does that include Romans losses?”

“The Romans lost fifty-six.”

“For fuck’s sake, we are leaving now. Now! I do not care for anything else.” My breath was deep and long. We would be nothing but lizard shit in a couple of days. No, we had to prepare the boats, running off without a plan wasn’t an option. “Wait,” I said getting up. I wobbled over to a couch behind my desk. I plopped down and stretched out my leg where the marks had spread. “Bring me that Roman commander. We have to set something up.”

#

Two days earlier, Constantinople

The Roman commander entered my room, the translator next to him. Although his eyes were soft, his back was stiff, and his words curt. Although my Latin had improved, I still needed the translator to dumb down what he said. “Why do you wish to see me?” said the translator.

I looked up to the Roman noble who did not sit and made me look up to him. I stood up and did my best not to wobble. “We have to set something up.”

“What are you speaking of?” asked the commander.

He understood full well what I meant. “To sail the waves.”

The Roman did not speak. He turned and walked to the door. “Do you think we can escape? What we face is a demon. There is no escape. Live your last days on your knees, and hope to God that you are not treated too unkindly in hell. Pagans have no home in death.”

The man walked out of the room not before speaking once more. “The lizard said to increase smelting rates by twenty percent.”

#

One day earlier, Constantinople

Komodor stood at my door, he did not enter as his body could not fit through the mansion’s door frame.

“You are now the only leader of the humans.” He patted my shoulder. “Although it’s a great tragedy that we have been betrayed.” He wiped a tear from his cheek. “I’m glad to know I have one loyal worker. After all, I have given you good working conditions. I don’t know why that other one tried to escape.” His eyes, moist with sadness started to boil, turned red, and lost their heartfelt expression. “Well, my children will have things to eat so you don’t have to worry any more.” He chuckled. “There is good in every tragedy after all.” He broke out into laughter and patted me a couple more times. “You know, I always tell them not to eat you guys but they get hungry so I can’t blame them. And now we’ve lost a hundred more workers. It’s a shame but I’m sure you’ll do fine. Now I must go. See ya.” He said and walked back to his castle with a pep to his step, his tail swinging with great joy. I shut the door and turned to Erik.

I spoke in code with a hushed voice. “We have to find a solution.”

Erik nodded. “Let’s wait a bit before planning anything. The men are riled up, and the Romans are restless.”

“No, we must act now. There is a lot of movement, unrest, and words flying around. We have to act now. I doubt Komodor will think we would escape the day after a botched attempt. Go, directly to that overgrown lizard. Tell him we need to use the boats as firewood and to convert into carts to make up for the lost manpower. We leave to find gold tomorrow."

Erik nodded and left the mansion when half an hour had passed and Komodor was most likely resting in the treasury.

6