Chapter 28.0 – On the Road to Control
15 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Dandellion…” I started saying; however, this is when I realized that I wasn’t a political genius. I had no clue what to do or say. And if I killed the bookkeeper, his family would no doubt come knocking. At least I could pass the Father’s death as old age, however, two high-ranking members of my court dying so quickly would raise more than one flag.

Wouldn’t it be easier to wait for those with mana to be a bit older? If they grew up, I could promise them power in return for servitude. With these normal humans, I had nothing to offer them other than a free ticket to hell.

I became mist and took control of Dandellion. I then told him to take control of the old man. However, just as Dandellion started to leave Alexander’s body I lost control over it. I ordered Dandellion to return to Alexander while I racked my brain over how to solve this issue. And then, a stroke of genius struck me.

I made my body vomit out all the blood still stored in my stomach and told Dandellion to possess the old man. When he had fully migrated and the light of reason returned to Alexander’s body, I bit his neck and sucked him dry. Now, with my stomach filled with his blood I ordered his genes to be expressed and to replace mine. I could feel my body morph and change into the man I had killed. This was it. The transformative ability I knew I had all along yet could not figure out how to achieve. I had become Alexander.

#

For the next few days, I spent my time going through Alexander’s memories that I still remembered, imitating his habits and mannerisms to the best of my abilities. I also tested Dandellion’s powers on the bookkeeper. Unfortunately, the man’s old body didn’t gain super strength or heightened senses. Dandellion simply controlled his will. And I controlled Dandellion’s will.

#

I lived the good life. A maid serviced me while I sat in the fluffiest cushioned chair.

“Grand Patriarch.”

I jerked back my head. A word I had never heard from a voice I had come to be familiar with, came from behind the wood door. I zipped up my pants and opened the door.

“Dandellion?” I asked. I had never heard him call my name.

“Yes, Grand Patriarch,” he said. I couldn’t believe my ears till now he had not uttered a word nor shown any sign of self-awareness. I only assumed him to be an extension of myself, but if he could grow and become his own person as well, then he would be my greatest asset.

“Yes, Dandellion, is there anything you need?” I asked with a wry smile.

“Someone… here to see you. Black robes, like the one before.”

I nodded. “You did good telling me, after I deal with this if there’s anything you need ask me,” I said and walked away.

#

In the end the priest who came to replace the latter didn’t ask too many questions. Deaths were common in the medieval era. He only asked me to give the previous Father a good burial, and so I did posthaste.

But now that things had settled, I had to move on with my plans. Although this new life of mine was rather cushy and I normally wouldn’t have any issues living it out. As an immortal being, I would no doubt soon get bored. I needed to raise little vampires and bring about a new age. My heartbeat at the idea. Something deep within me spurred me one, spurred on my wish for a vampiric hegemony. I also missed Amara. And, had I not said she would be the Queen of Vampires. How could she be a Queen without subjects. I wondered if I should later grant her dominion on an already founded and controlled city or if I should give her vampires, I would raise in order to go and found her own one from scratch. Well, that was neither here nor there. For now, I had to gain control over this city. To do this I needed power, power to safeguard my flame and to go find her.

OK, so I was the Lord, Dandellion was the bookkeeper. I have a son, there’s a new priest, three hundred knights, a tax collector, a few bureaucrats, and the maids who linked the outside world with the court. These all needed to be controlled. But how? I needed to learn how to brainwash them. I couldn’t think of anything else. Well, say for one thing that I would try with a certain fellow.

#

“Fabien,” I called out, “I need to speak to you for a bit.”

“Yes, my liege,” he said. Since we weren’t in wartime, the large for the era, five-nine man walking across the inner-city courtyard in luxurious fabrics bent the knee.

“You may stand,” I said offhandedly. “There is a blacksmith in town,” I continued. “Have you heard of his name, Frank?” I asked.

He shook his head.

“Well, from what I’ve heard he makes terrific swords. I’d like to verify his workmanship with your trained eyes and arms.” I patted his shoulder.

“Of course. Any blade of such potential must be searched for and acquired. I shall do my upmost to verify them.”

“Then let us head out.” I led the way out the inner city. An invisible dark haze following close behind.

#

The sun illuminated the city. It’s two-story wooden buildings. The manure parsed about the streets. The ragged rags worn by the people.

As the commoners passed me, they greeted me with a short, but profound nod. I did not pay them any mind and stared up at the sky. I stared up and made sure no unicorn wondered around the skies.

When I deemed the coast clear, I entered the shop. A clerk stood behind a wooden counter. He wore a brown tunic, his face showed age, yet he couldn’t be older than sixteen.

“I’m here to inspect your wares.”

The boy ran from behind the counter, lowered his head, unable to see more than my shoes he spoke, “Of course. Hopefully, our wares are up to your standards.”

I nodded and gestured for Fabien to inspect the finest sword. He unracked the sword and brought it to his face. His face didn’t show any emotion, no doubt he was inspecting the finest points of the weapon. However, I didn’t care for this. Vampires had no need for steel.

The black haze named Dandellion encircled the head knight and slowly seeped into his nose and mouth. The man’s face suddenly grew red beyond belief. He threw the sword against the wall, grabbed the clerk’s collar and threw him against the wooden door. The boy emerged outside, his back sliding on the broken-down door across the street.

The bystanders quickly formed a crowd around the boy who now stank of horse shit. With haste Fabien went outside, sword drawn.

“I’m sorry Sir Knight!” begged the commoner, backing away still on his ass. I’ll do anything to atone for this.

This was my time to shine. “No, Fabien stop this instant. This is no grave offence.”

“No!” Yelled the knight, the edge of his sword pointed to the boy’s head. “This man spread false rumours to increase the sales of his wares. However, these wares, of undue quality can cause great harm to my liege’s reputation.”

“No, we may deal with this case in other ways.” However, nothing would stop him, one would even egg him on. And so, the blade rose high. High-pitched screams commenced, and the cold blade came down with the force of thunder. Blood tainted these streets which had remained pure for oh so long. A purity which would never return to the future vampiric kingdom.

2