Chapter 66: Close Calls with an Elevator
135 6 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 66: Close Calls with an Elevator 

(“ Time to watch this fail ”)

Can’t you at least be a little confident in me?

(“ Oh, you have my full confidence. Your plan on the other side of the coin, not so much ”)

The morning of the new day began, and I was already in position. My target was elevator number thirty-three, located on the eastern side of the third segment. The entrance I planned to enter from was located in a partly low residential area with a few shops nearby. 

The elevator had three stops on the third segment, and I was trying to break into the part closest to the roof of the third segment.

Of course, going through the actual door wasn’t a good plan, so instead I was going to break through one of the side vents of the elevator itself.

Well, time to go.

I climbed into the small service underground near the third floor of the elevator through another hatch. There were no cameras or sensors in it; that was one of the important things I looked for when choosing a tunnel to climb up. If there were cameras and sensors, the plan was to use a wide area [Disruptive Starlight] to knock out security in a wide area–so they would be forced to check everything at once.

I walked down the tunnel until I neared where the elevator was. Then I began to tap on the wall, as I looked for the location I marked out yesterday. 

Moments before I found it, I heard footsteps.

Now of all times?

People were coming down the service tunnel, and it didn’t matter who they were, I just needed to not be noticed by them. However, it was fine, as I found the section and quickly removed a section of metal from the wall.

The walls that made the service tunnels were like puzzle pieces that connected together, but some of the pieces could be removed by either being designed like that or just becoming loose.

I jumped inside the tiny crack and pulled the plate perfectly back in place with my mana.

Step. Step.

They walked past, and I began my climb. The space I crawled up was tight; it was the in-between area of the surrounding structures, and it led into the walls of the elevator. If this tiny crack went all the way to the top of the shaft, it might’ve been worth it to spend the extra time to slowly climb up, but it was replaced with near-solid metal once it reached the part of the tunnel that was outside the third segment.

I kept climbing until I reached a hatch that gave me direct access to the elevator shaft. I couldn’t see the insides of the elevator until I opened it, but I could very easily track its location based on the sound and vibrations of the metal.

After waiting a few minutes, the elevator rocketed downwards towards the third segment, where it then slowed down ten seconds before it met with the first entrance on the third segment.

The elevator travelled fast. If one was inside it, then they would be fine; the technology inside made sure there was no strain on the passengers, but if someone tried hitching a ride on the outside of the elevator, then they would be subjected to the full force of the movement.

(" Are you ready to fly? ”)

Yep, but this is going to be a massive resource drain for my starlight reserves.

Click, Click, Click.

I waited as I listened to the elevator's movements as it neared the third floor.

Well, time to do this, [Disruptive Starlight].

I fired a large blast of [Disruptive Starlight] up the shaft to mess with all the tracking sensors within it. However, the skill’s use was pretty costly due to the distance I had to make it cover, not to mention it wouldn’t last long.

Once that was done, I pushed open the hatch, jumped out, and closed it immediately. I slid along the wall for a moment and waited for the elevator to pass. 

Got to make this as quiet as possible…

The original plan was to just fly all the way up. That way, I could avoid any of the risks of being caught that were created by staying near the elevator. However, I decided to hitch a ride instead.

Ting.

The quiet sound of my metal boots and the elevator occurred, but I believed it should’ve been quiet enough that no one noticed.

(“ First part successful ”)

Yep… Now comes the hard part.

ZoooooooooOOOOOMMMMM!!!

The elevator rapidly accelerated upwards with a hitchhiker in tow. 

Forty-six, forty-seven, forty-eight, forty-nine.

I stayed focused on the speed of the elevator and the upcoming segment–looking for the exit.

Fifty-five, fifty-six, fifty-seven–Now! [Burst]. 

I repeatedly activated [Burst] from my hands moments before the elevator started to slow down. 

Where is it? I found it.

I located one of the second-segment elevator hatches 

However, as I flew, I noticed one of the actual service doors glow, signalling that it was about to be opened. 

And that was faster than expected.

People had already arrived to check out the problem I caused. I could even hear their voices, a cranky older man and a woman.

The man yelled, “Stupid thing, open faster!”

“The elevator is going past you, idiot!” 

“Well, call the operators to stop it until we fix the problem.”

“They will stop it… AFTER IT MAKES IT TO A BLOODY FLOOR!”

(“ Worried you will be getting caught? )

No, honestly. I feel like sneaking aboard the spaceships would be a lot more stressful.

I swung the hatch open and pulled it shut with my mana as I jumped through it.

Then, not even a second later; the elevator zoomed by.

ZOOOOoooooommm!

Ding.

“Finally, the door’s open.” The man sighed. “Hurry up and get down there!”

“Yeah, yeah! I get it; you forgot how to do this damn job.”

It looks like they are having fun. I thought. Now I had to deal with another tight space. And this time I had to slowly figure out which way was the correct direction out of there.

“Hold it; I’m getting a call.” The man’s voice went silent for a moment. “Sensors are coming back online?”

“Damn it, it’s probably a mana leak issue.”

I stopped listening to the duo’s conversation and started looking for an appropriate way out.

After taking a few wrong turns and nearly opening up a door that led into a public street,. I finally squeezed my way to an exit–that I made by removing part of the wall–that had its newly made door in an alley.

I got out and stared into the sky.

Finally, an actual sky.

The second segment wasn’t trapped by metal and instead, a see-through material as a roof.

The stars shone beautifully, as if welcoming me back.

Fuck I hate being trapped underground.

(“ I wouldn’t consider that being trapped, or even underground ”)

Shut it. I was just reminiscing about some memories, don’t ruin the mood. 

(“ Well it’s about to be ruined if you stick around here. You having been firing of [Disruptive Starlight] during your exits, 

Yeah, yeah, I know.

It looked like I wouldn’t enjoy any stargazing yet.

 

Second chapter of the week; one day early! (Chapters have been late recently, so why not an early one!)

This was fun to write; nothing crazy about this chapter in particular, mostly just because good mood. Just finished up a big event in my other story and that motivated me a lot to write stuff for Stargazing (It just reached 50 chapters). Had to remind myself to sleep, nearly jumped ahead a started writing the next chapter immediately. Speaking of which, time to sleep. If you notice any grammar mistakes, comment them, and I'll fix them when I wake up.

Thanks for reading everyone.

7