Koi is gone
55 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was just a normal day me and my feline, Koi. were taking our daily walk, but I decided today was the day we mix it up and go the opposite way. How foolish of me to think so, when we crossed paths with the neighborhood dog.

That's where it all went wrong.

A striking great Dane practically came running after us. He was almost tall enough to jump the fence. I tried to pick Koi up but he slipped out of my loose grasp. Now I was chasing after my cat Koi as this rampaging dog barked on and on. He turned a corner to the nearest ally way. I could see that the dog stopped in his tracks. I watched my cat's tail whip around the corner.

I made my way to the corner and that's when I saw a glowing blue portal swirling just at the other end of the ally. Koi looked back at me.

“Don’t you do it”, I said demandingly.

Koi immediately turned tail and ran into the portal. Of course. The portal begins to shrink. Despite my shock I try to chase after Koi. The portal then disappears as I reach out my hand to grasp him.

“KOI, NO!”, I fall down to my knees.

I can’t comprehend what happened but tears began to fill my eyes. I can’t believe this is happening! Koi was my only family. The last thing I had before my grandma passed away. I just want to sulk and cry.

"This can't be real...", I mumbled distraught.

Misty swirling Portals aren’t real. I didn't just watch Koi walk out of my life. He’ll be back tomorrow. This is just like old times where he would run out and come back usually with a rat or bird as a prize for me. I get up. Yeah it’s just a trick of the eye. He’ll be back like he always does.

Get up, I dust the dirt and grass off my tracksuit pants out of habit.

I know what I’ll do. I'll go searching for Koi. Maybe he’s behind these trash cans in the alley. I search every nook and cranny of that alleyway but find no sign of Koi. Not even a whisker left behind. I make my way home dragging my feet across the ground. I passed the time watching TV until I couldn’t hold back the truth.

Koi was gone for good this time and, I don't know how I knew it, but it seemed true this time. Whatever that was, it took Koi. Whether he’s alive or not I’ll never know.

“Please be safe Koi” I whisper under my breath.

The next thing I knew I was cracking open a beer. Anything to block out this disgusting feeling I had. Was it guilt? I could’ve stopped him if only I had been faster? I look across to the wall where there is a picture of my grandmother with Koi. Even though she was old she looked so vibrant and alive when she was with Koi. I started to drink until I couldn’t feel my face. The last thing I remember is crashing down on my couch.

*Poof* *Ting*

I woke up from a strange noise.

“Who's there?” I say blindly.

I adjust my eyes in the dark. In front of me was a floating scroll of some sorts with wings in front of me. It was tied up in a bright blue ribbon. I knew I was seeing things now. I ignore the strange scroll and close my eyes. Another 'ting' noise is made.

'I can’t sleep like this.'

This is just a dream after all, just a lucid dream.

“Fine I’ll take it”. I take the scroll. The wings disappear as a strange mist appears as I cough.

“My god what is this”. It had a strange smell. The closest I could describe it was like the smell of gasoline. When the smoke clears I begin to feel my heart beating faster. I opened the letter. The letter began with “Dear Human.”

3