Crimson 01-03
318 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Crimson

 
 

At first, I knew only darkness and the feeling of being crammed into a small space.

 

As I pushed out with my limbs sunlight peaked through cracks of my prison. I was confused by the sight of claws at first with a scaled covered limb. I remember being human, but my name and the language I spoke comes up blank in my mind. I quickly realize that I was inside an egg.

 

I have memories of human made objects. Any face, names, and places all come up blank in my mind. Having nothing better to do. I break free of my egg prison.

 

It takes me several minutes to clearly focus on my current environment. The strong smell of rotting eggs hits my long snout and the ground under my three clawed feet feels warm.

A rumbling sound comes causing the ground to tremble a bit. Once, I can see clearly. I notice water curving around an island from my high vantage point. The ground under my clawed feet is rocky and has little plant life on it. There is a jungle of palms and other tropical type trees from the base of this volcano.

 

I looked down at my new skin. From what I can see my scales  are a dark crimson color with the color shifting to black along the edge. In full sunlight in the open I figure I would stick out, but in a darken jungle, forest, or night time. I would blend into the shadows. I glance back along my body confirming that I have a tail that ends with a spear like spike on the end.

 

My wings are what you expect dragon wings to look like. Currently, they look too small for me to fly with. My natural instinct seems to be to keep them folded against my body for now.

My claws appeared to be short and very tough. Testing one of my scales they are slightly flexible, but feel very durable.

 

Curious about my teeth, I can feel a forked tongue inside my mouth. My teeth pretty much feel like they are round and sharp. My neck is shorter then expected, but I imagine it will grow longer in time. As for my face, I can only picture a guess. Looking down at my shadow. I can make out two slightly curved horns.

 

As for my gender I'm pretty sure that I'm still a guy. Something about the horns tells me this.

Looking down over the island, I study the jungle and almost at once I can smell animals. The breeze tells me everything I need to know as the different smells hit me.

 

As I start walking it takes me a bit of time to learn how to walk. Stumbling a little at first until I learn that my tail can be used to help me balance myself.

 

As I make my way down the side of the volcano. I wonder if there are humans in this world. Where ever I'm from. I can clearly remember that dragons were pure fantasy.

 

It doesn't take me long to reach the jungle's edge and slowly I enter into it. Bugs, plants, and trees are no problem for me. My snake like skin is too tough for the bugs to bite me and thorny plants are not an issue.

 

My hearing is pretty good too. Above me colorful birds squawk away along with small monkeys. My eyes easily focus on them and I realize my eye sight is far better then before.

At the moment I feel very hungry.

 

Then I catch the smell of something vaguely familiar. Following the smell, I soon hear the grunting noise of a wild pig. As soon as I see it. I know, it's a wild boar judging from the hairy body and small tusks.

 

Currently, the wild pig was drinking from a wide creek while standing on some flat rocks.

Mindful of which way the wind is blowing I decided to creep up on it. Moving around I get a better angle to attack. As far as I can tell, we are about the same size which is roughly a medium size dog.

 

At same point the pig stops grunting and starts making a nervous like sound. This has a ripple effect and nearby animals all go a bit quieter then normal. I jump out like a cat using my three claws on each limb to grab hold. Sinking my teeth into the neck of the wild pig at the same time.

 

There was a surprise squeal and some thrashing. I pull my head back and there is a gush of warm blood. After that the pig stiffens then falls down limp.

 

I spit out hairy skin and neck flesh looking down at my first kill. I think about eating it raw at first, but something about my old life comes through. I'm pretty sure that I have never skinned a large animal before, but using one of my claws I start the process.

 

I lay down the strips of meat on the flat rocks near the water line.

 

I vaguely recall doing this with fish as a human boy. The meat strips that I carved out are far from perfect, but as a first meal they will do.

 

Since, I'm a dragon now. I get the idea to breathe a little fire on them to cook them. Not sure, how to do it. I give it a few unsuccessful tries. Around my tenth attempt I felt something like a burp and puff of fire came out turning the first strip of meat into burnt ruins.

 

Silently cursing at myself I target the next meat strip with more care.

 

A bit burnt around the edges, but very tasty. The rest of the raw meat strips. I used to improve my cooking skills. In between eating my cooked meat strips I took drinks from the creek. Here I caught sight of my own reflection. Right away, I noticed my golden cat like eyes with black pupils. As for the rest of my face it was pretty much how I pictured it.

 

I have to remind myself if I ever met a human being. I have to take it slow and careful. In this world, I'm the monster. Feeling very full, I go ahead and hang the rest of the cooked meat in a tree. Hopefully, some of it will be there just in case. Much to my own delight I can easily climb up trees.

 

Any of the monkeys and birds in nearby trees quickly flee. Digging my claws into a wide branch I settle down for an afternoon nap. Some time later I awoke to the sound of almost perfect silent steps and twitching of a long furry tail.

 

Looking down, it took me a while to spot the small wild cat. Perhaps it was the smell of blood or the meat that I left behind that brought it here. The small wild cat carefully left its hiding spot snatching some of the left over meat. After a while, more wild cats showed up. Sometimes they growled or hissed at each over scraps.

 

One by one they soon left having taking their fill. The few strays left behind quickly run away when they hear me coming down the tree.

 

Having nothing better to do. I went exploring my island home. Sadly, there is not much to interest me. I do discover more animals and fresh springs to drink from. One pool of water was large enough for me to take a bath. I took a quick dip into it to clean away the pig blood on my body. I can travel pretty fast on all four of my feet.

 

As the sun is setting I see something from the beach where I'm standing.

 

Not far from me is another island. Too far to swim too for me and another concern I have is the chance of water predators. With a happy growl, I set my eyes on a goal. One day, I will go to that island. Unsure, how long it would take me I would learn how to fly.

 

Days turned into weeks as I hunted and practiced flying. I learned how to glide and learned to use my tail as a weapon. When wild pigs weren't around I used trees scoring marks in the bark with my spear like tail spike.

 

I spent my afternoons taking short naps. Along with pig meat, I quickly added fish and some small deer to my menu. I also discovered some fruits that grew wild.

 

Slowly the wild cats trusted me a bit more. Sometimes they stole my hanging meat, but the hunting was so good that I allowed this. Plus I welcomed the company. Still, I wanted more.

One day, I finally did it. I caught an updraft of air and flew high into the sky. It took a lot more work beating my wings.

 

I turned my attention to the other island only to see even more islands beyond them. There were a whole chain of them. On a whim, I flew onward scouting the second island.

 

It was much like my home island and held little of interest. Hopping from one island to another. I looked for any primitive tribes or maybe a castaway from a ship wreck. I spotted nothing like huts or any signs anyone lived here.

 

I came to the last island and landed. Far in the distance I spotted a massive landmass. This had to be the mainland then movement caught my eye.

 

There far out in the sea was a ship. Sails and three wooden masts could be clearly seen.

I retreated into the jungle to watch from the shadows. Faintly, I could see a blue glow and realized the ship was moving far faster then it should. From the shadows of the jungle I watched the direction the ship went and noticed they had sailed closer to the land mass as they sailed on.

 

If I had any money, I would have bet the ship was heading for a town's port or a city's dock. I spent another week improving my flying and exploring the other islands.

I left in the late evening deciding that night time was the best time for me. As the sky grew darker I would be harder to spot from the ground. Plus night time meant little to me since my eye sight was pretty good in the dark.

 

By the time I reached the mainland I felt pretty tired. I also felt pretty good since I spotted a small town while in the air. As I moved I stayed in the trees until I came across a rough road cutting through the forest.

 

Right away, I noticed wagon wheel tracks had cut into the road. I stayed parallel to the road using the trees as cover. I could smell deer like animals, large cats, and various reptiles.

Then my ears picked up on a sound completely alien to the jungle. It was music and what sounded like singing with slurred words. As a drew closer, I could smell a camp fire.

It wasn't long until I could see them. Three men were camped in a clearing off the road sitting around a roaring camp fire. Not far away from them what appeared to be a wooden covered wagon like a house on wheels. The windows were barred and the walls brightly colored with words I didn't understand.

 

Sitting up on the seats were some women and a few children eating off plates. The women and girls were wearing flowing dresses. The men style of dress seemed to be thin pants and loose button shirts.

 

Judging from the pictures on the outside walls of the wagon. I guessed these people were traveling bards or performers.

 

With the roaring fire as light the men were entertaining themselves with music. They played on a lute, drum, and a short flute. They drank from a single jug from time to time. Then passed the time telling what I assume were stories.

 

By this time, I had climbed into a tree after getting a bit closer. The horses tied up snorted and stamped their feet, but settle down after a while.

 

As the fire died down the women and children went to bed first. Then two of the three men soon joined them. The last man picked up a spear that I hadn't seen before and edged closer to the fire.

 

I settled down for a good rest myself. Hours later, It was the snorting of a horse that alerted me to danger. As my eyes quickly adjusted to the darkness, I could smell it. A big cat was close by and prowling somewhere near. The man left on guard duty appeared to be passed out drunk with only the glow of the fire's embers.

 

He stirred slightly, but didn't wake just yet. If those horses got any louder. I was sure the man would awake with the spear ready for use. Just when I thought about breathing a bit of fire into the air to wake up the man. I caught movement at the wagon's side door. One young boy was awake and judging from his hurried movement. I realized he needed to take a piss.

 

As he made his way to the back of the wagon. My hearing picked up the big cat moving around toward the back of the wagon in the same direction as the boy. The horses were snorting more loudly and stamping.

 

The drunken guard stirred awake and noticed the boy relieving himself with his back turned toward the man.

 

The man on guard called out and the boy said something back.

 

I circled around keeping the big cat's location locked using my hearing. It was as the boy turned his back to the jungle that I spotted the tiger with my eyes.

 

As the cat launched itself into a leap. I was already in the air kicking off the trunk of a tree. I let out a roar followed by a burst of fire.

 

Over whelming the big cat's senses we collided in the air rolling on the ground in the next second. Sharp razor claws tore under my scales tearing some of them away. My own claws cut furry flesh with ease.

 

The larger cat kicked me off of him and I went tumbling away. I was back on my feet and faced off with the now very angry injured tiger. I heard yelling and a crying child behind me.

The tiger was attempting to circle around me and I realized he was still trying to get to the child or the man.

 

I step in to block the tiger's path. The big cat appeared to be twice my size. The tiger took a few fainting swipes at me at first. I allowed a bit of smoke to leave my nose. This made the tiger a bit weary of me. I went so far to spread out my wings trying to appear larger.

I don't know if it was hunger or the injuries I inflicted. Just maybe this big cat had a taste for people. The tiger wasn't backing down.

 

The tiger moved in again and once more we were tearing at each other. The big cat's larger size won out in the wrestling match.

 

I had one good fire blast left in me, but the tiger had pinned my head sideways. As the cat's large jaws opened to bite at my neck. I remembered my spear like tail. Whipping it around I stabbed it into the tiger's neck. My head came free and as the tiger screamed with pain I shot a blast of fire as the tiger opened his mouth.

 

The big cat jumped back off of me and stumbled a few steps then fell to the ground, dead.

Slowly, I got up feeling my body cut in several places and drained from the fight. I turned back to see the guard holding the spear ready to thrust if I came closer.

 

Between the bars of the windows I saw the little boy's face I had saved. The other children which were girls, along with the women and men were watching me as well.

 

I walked into the jungle and soon disappeared from their sight. I climbed into my previous tree and settled down on a wide branch. For a while the men talked and argued. The man left on guard duty got a solid punch from another man. I would have hazard a guess the father of the boy wasn't happy. The father pointed to the camp fire then to the jungle around them.

 

Soon enough, the fire was brought back into life and roaring again. I watched as the men who stayed up that night skinned the tiger then started cooking the meat.

 

The man with the black eye was ordered to dig a hole and started working. The women and children had gone back to bed. The tiger's body was cut up with some bits going into the fire while other parts were being cooked over the fire or in a stew like pot.

 

I soon fell asleep again as the men pushed the remains of the tiger's body into a now dug out hole.

 

When morning came, I saw the women packing things away and most of the men were no where in sight. The man with the black eye was up on the driver's seat. The horses already attached. I figured out the men were inside the wagon getting rest or eating breakfast. There were already positioned on the road ready to ride away.

 

There was a faint smell of stew in the air. It was what was near the fire pit that caught my attention next. Laid out on an old blanket was the cooked tiger meat with the hint of spices on it. I understood this to be an offering for protecting the boy.

 

How my body ached with pain and the tiger's slashes weep with a little bit of blood. Slowly, I made my way down the tree and walked into the clearing. I heard excited voices and made eye contact with the children peaking out from the barred windows.

 

The driver now had a spear lying in his lap, but looking less fearful of me. The women had uncertain looks on their faces, but they looked at me with awe.

 

I walked up to the blanket with the offered meat and sat in front of it. I took each piece enjoying the taste of each. I turned away and paused at the edge of the clearing. Looking back, I saw the young boy waving at me with his little arm sticking out the window.

 

I copied the gestured much to the amusement of the children who started waving. The adults were smiling now. I sense they were still unsure and confused by my actions. I soon disappeared into the jungle.

 

The wagon was already moving in the opposite direction after one of the women took back the old blanket.

 

I rested often and heard horses on the road from time to time. Sometimes they caught my scent and snorted or picked up their pace. All the same, I stayed out of sight and traveled North.

 

Then I came to a fork in the road and clearly one road wasn't used at all anymore. Fallen trees and lack of wear on the ground told me this roadway was abandoned. I caught the smell of something new to me and decided to follow the road less traveled.

 

In my head I recited a poem I heard about a road less traveled, but couldn't recall the name of the man who said it. After a while, I came to see something towering over the trees and realized there was a stone hill ahead with a sloping road looping around it.

 

It took me a minute to realize it was a mine long abandoned. There was a cave opening toward the road side high up on the stone hill. Before me was a gap where a gate used to be. Passing stone walls over grown with vines I came into a ruined village.

 

To my dragon's sense of smell I could detect burnt wood from long ago. Looking closer at one of the houses which still stood thanks to it's stone walls. I saw roofs had fallen in due to all of the fire damage.

 

I guessed a fire swept through the village. Gardens grew wild and I even heard goats grazing nearby. Following a new smell I headed for the stone hill using the road that wrapped around it. Passing another mine entrance at the base of the stone hill.

 

The road ended just before the top to a mine entrance that was sealed off a fair distance inside.

 

In my mind, I could picture empty wagons coming up here. Turning around on the wide out cropping then backing into the mine to load up. The walls were carved smooth and there was a fair bit of work done. There were even a few privies to each side.

 

Stepping back outside I looked over then up at the round cave entrance. With ease I climbed up the side following the new smell. As my eyes adjusted I made out the skull of a large dragon just inside the mouth of the cave. Tarnished gold coins littered the ground.

 

Even if I been the size of a horse. I could easily fit inside the skull of this long dead dragon. I wondered, if I would ever become this size in the future. This explained the ruined village below. The floor wasn't just littered with coins, but also had large dragon scales. Still good as my own and much larger.

 

Under the long dead dragon's smell there was something else that I was detecting. It smelled like the gold under my feet. Along the walls. I noticed stone slabs that looked like doors. The large ones were too heavy for me to move, but there were smaller ones I could do. Ignoring the pain, I pushed one small slab aside and found gold and silver coins glinting in the weak light inside open chests. Whoever mined this place must have used this area like a bank. There were series of vaults with stone slabs to block each entrance.

 

My best guess was the dragon came to live here after burning down the village.

 

I just found a small part of the dragon's horde of treasure. Stepping back, I looked at the other slabs and did the math. If just a few of these was packed with coins I would be very rich indeed.

 

Walking back to the mouth of the cave. I settled down for my normal afternoon nap. Below me I could see most of the ruined village with the stone walls stretching out around fields now over grown with weeds.

 

To my right I could see part of the main road I used to travel here. It was a good lookout point. On my left, I saw a lazy river that ran under the stone walls pass some stone buildings close to the fields then back out into the jungle.

 

It had been a nice place once as far as I could tell. Yawning, I fell asleep taking my normal nap.

 

 

Thorin:

 

Leagues away, Thorin was deep in thought while he worked on the tiger's skin. Last night his son was almost killed by a large jungle cat. While his slightly foolish younger brother had let the fire die down to embers.

 

Then a wonder of wonders showed up. Who ever heard of a dragon stepping in to protect a person. Much less a child. Perhaps, the dragon was still a child himself. Thorin saw for himself the little dragon was half the size of the tiger.

 

Everyone in his family witness how the dragon blocked the tiger from getting closer.

 

“Still thinking about that dragon, I bet. ” His brother in law, Carack said in a low voice. Currently the children were asleep for their afternoon naps.

 

“Not sure, what to make of him. I could understand it if they were just two predators fighting over the same meal. You saw that dragon protecting Young Reynard. ” Thorin said carefully working on the tiger's teeth now.

 

“Then, the dragon came back to have breakfast and waved as we left. What a sight. ” Carack said with a grin.

 

“Where you think the little dragon ran off too? ” Thorin asked.

 

“Hmm, I say Biville village if any place. Wasn't there an old gold mine there once. In all the old stories dragons like gold. Not sure, if old sleeping Crimson would chase him off. I was thinking. We should have one of the girls play the helpless victim. Maybe Reynard can be the dragon or I can be the tiger. ” Carack said thinking of the best way to tell the story as he worked on the back tiger claws.

 

“Let's hope old Crimson stays asleep. It's been decades since anyone seen or heard of the old dragon. We need to pick up some bolts of cloth to make the dragon costume. " Thorin said next already thinking about the best lines to describe the story for their upcoming performance.

 

They soon arrived at Port's Mouth town after paying a small fee at the gate. The wagon was allowed in. Thorin never cared for the town, because slave traders used it to bring slaves in from different islands then ship them up North to the Kingdom of Angmar.

 

The lucky slaves ended up as easy labor, maids, or servants to rich households. The unlucky ones were used as whores, hard labor, and forced into blood sports for amusement. It was rare, but sometimes a slave could earn his or her freedom. Even then they were treated like a second class citizen.

 

The people he liked to deal with were the fishermen and merchants who came by road or ship.

 

They would stay for two weeks performing in the market area for coins then head back North to start their long journey once more.

 

Getting out of the wagon, the adults stretched and the children were soon awake. Thorin start to have thoughts about settling down somewhere. Wagon life was getting old for him and his wife had been pressuring him to start a farm.

 

Thorin came around the front and stopped in front of his younger brother, Wilhelm.

 

“Wilhelm, I'm sorry for the shiner. I acted out of anger. ” Thorin said feeling bad for hitting his little brother.

 

“Don't be. I would have drank myself to death if anything happened to little Reynard. I got too deep in my cup and let the fire burn down to embers. Lucky for us the beast showed up to fight that tiger. ” Wilhelm said and Thorin turned his attention to his wife, Thea. Thorin could imagine the words she had for Wilhelm while she rode up front with him.

 

“Beloved wife, I was thinking we should buy one of those black powder rifles. We can't be counting on the rare dragon to be fighting tigers for us. ” Thorin said laying on the charm. She knew how expensive such a weapon was.

 

“Yes, we should get one. Maybe even a pistol for bandits. ” Thea said after a few seconds to think about it.

 

Thorin was taken a bit back by this suggestion.

 

“Don't forget, we need to earn our coin first. We still need red cloth for the dragon costume. ” Thorin said and his wife nodded as the children were starting to begged to go shopping.

Wilhelm stayed behind to guard the wagon while the women along with Carack took the children to the market stalls. They spread the word of upcoming shows while stocking up on goods.

 

Thorin went off alone with most of their coin. Weary of quick pick pockets or thugs he stayed on the alert. Once he got to the weapon shops. He soon found what he was looking for.

 

Beside the town guard or a ship's captain the gun smith saw few people a day in his shop.

 

Thorin talked with the shop owner. He learned much about gun powder, hunting rifles and how to care for them. Talking with this older man reminded Thorin of his more youthful days. Thorin missed his days as a black smith side by side with his father. These days, Thorin only got out his tools to fix the wagon that had become his home these past years.

 

Thorin would have loved to worked on making such weapons like this hunting rifle.

 

With his purse much lighter he left the shop with a good hunting rifle and supplies. The shop owner assuring him that it could take down a tiger in a single shot. Thorin was also warned it kicks like a mule.

 

Thorin then paused in front of a magic stone shop. The crystals on display were colorful and had different functions. Various sizes for level of power and for everyday use if you had the coin.

 

There were blue stones for controlling water or summoning water from the very air around you. Clear stones for making a breeze or help feed a fire with air. Red stones of course for starting a flame or putting out a fire. Yellow crystals for light that lasted for hours in the darkest of places. The rarest of the stone crystals were green used strictly for healing wounds or curing sickness. Sometimes used to make sure water stayed cleaned for drinking.

The only crystals Thorin could ever afford were the small chipped stones most common folk used in their homes.

 

With the few educational books his children owned just maybe one day they could afford the larger crystals for their homes.

 

Thorin moved on to find his wife back already with the needed clothing. The children, enjoying the rare candy from the market.

 

“I hope you remind the children to brush their teeth. A rotting tooth is expensive for a healer to fix. ” Thorin teased knowing full well his children were very good about bathing and caring for their bodies.

 

“Oh yes, I was thinking little Muriel should be our helpless maiden for our new story. She can wear something cheerful. ” Thea said and Thorin nodded in agreement.

 

Since the children were gathered in one spot and their attention mostly on him. Thorin explained the rifle and which part they should never touch if they ever have to fetch it for him. Once he was sure none of them would touch it without his permission he secured it away in the wagon as best he could.

 

He figured his locked trunk with his heavy tools and anvil would be enough.

As evening came and the streets lit up with light stones. The market filled up with people done with their day's work. Some eager to shop then head home. Others on their way to drink or off to their night job after sleeping most of the day.

 

As always they started with music while Thea sang with her lovely voice. It wasn't until they had a crowd dropping coins into Carack's hat. Thorin's oldest daughter, Isabel holding the hat out with a firm grip.

 

Wilhelm stayed in the crowd cheering or clapping to get the people to join in. Soon after, Thorin's sister, Ysmay came out and performed her knife dancing and even went so far to juggle them with ease.

 

Many foolish young men learned that Ysmay's sharp tongue wasn't the only thing she carried. Lucky for any aggressive suitors she was married to Carack now. Thorin never had imagined his family would join with the traveling people so closely.

 

As the excitement started to die down. Thorin announced in his thunder like voice there was going to be a special performance in their story telling next week. A battle between a fierce giant tiger of the jungle fighting with a baby dragon.

 

After washing up they went to work on sewing the costumes they would need. Carack rehearsing with the children as they worked. The oldest boy, Fendrel who was Carack's son looked pleased he was going to be playing the drum for the show.

 

They had sold the tiger skin, but kept the teeth and claws for the costume. Over the next few days they worked on and off. Sometimes touring the town or splitting the adults from the children so one married couple could have a night alone in an inn.

 

As Thorin laid next to a sweat covered Thea after some love making. She started talking to him about future plans.

 

“It's nice to have a proper roof over our heads. A bed all to ourselves. ” Thea said stroking her fingers on Thorin's bare chest.

 
 

“It is. ” Thorin said teasing Thea. He knew what she wanted.

 

“The children are getting too big to sleep in that cramp wagon. I want a real bed of my own. ” Thea pined.

 

“Port's Mouth is a decent town, but I don't like the slave traders here. I worry our daughters would disappear one day and be sent up North. The Kingdom of Angmar is not a safe place for our family. ” Thorin said quietly.

 

“If only we had a place in between. ” Thea said with a sleepy tone.

 

“We could live in Biville. ” Thorin half joked, but a part of him was serious.

 

It took Thea a few extra seconds to recall the name, history and where it was located. It had been a thriving mining town shared with dwarfs a long time ago. Then the old dragon Crimson came and burned the town. Took Stone Hill as his home so the stories say.

 

“You think living near a murderous dragon would be better? ” Thea asked.

 

“Remember that young red dragon. I have a feeling that old Crimson isn't around anymore. Dragons don't live that close to each other, say for mating pairs. I think, I should take a look at Biville. ” Thorin said and his wife was looking at him with a slightly opened mouth.

 

Before she could say anything there was a knock at the door.

 

“I have come with the water. ” The dark haired slave maid said and Thea wrapped herself in a sheet to answer the door. Thorin made sure his most private bits were covered as Thea opened the door.

 

Her slave collar lacked the chains, but there was an iron loop in the front. Some owners were cruel enough to put a name tag hanging from that iron loop. If saying this person was a pet.

The young woman kept her eyes down and didn't make eye contact for very long. Thea could see the girl's reflection in the water bowl lined with small blue crystals along the edge. If a single magic crystal went missing in that bowl. The maid would get five lashes for every crystal missing. Thea had witness such cruelty in person.

 

“Fill the bowl on the dresser and pitcher beside the bed. You have a name? ” Thea asked gently as the girl went to work.

 
 

“Luanda, good lady. ” Luanda said and went to work right away. Faint scars could barely be seen where her outfit dipped in the back.

 

Thea exchanged a look with Thorin and silently they agreed that Port's Mouth wasn't a good place for them to raise children. Even if they could remain free they would be exposed to this kind of cruel treatment on others.

 

Thea went over to the dresser's bowl and started wetting a rag to wipe herself down a little around the face. When Luanda bent down to fill the pitcher she looked up at Thorin then accidentally knocked a cup over as she steady the pitcher with her other hand.

 

Thorin looked away pretending not to notice her mistake. It was only natural a young girl of her age would glance at a half naked man. As Luanda stood back up the small coin purse that was inside Thorin's boot was now gone.

 

Luanda trembled a bit more and on shaky legs she left their room. Closing the door behind her.

 

“Poor girl, I would turn temporary blind if she ran away right in front of me. ” Thea said letting the sheet fall and ran the rag down her body a bit more. The warm water beat bathing in the cold stream any day in the Northern lands.

 

“She be whipped nearly to death if she made it to Angmar's lands and no ship would risk smuggling a slave out unless there was enough coin to bribe the captain. Her only hope in the future is to catch the eye of an unmarried rich man who will buy her freedom. ” Thorin said admiring his wife's backside. For a woman who had three children. She was still beautiful as ever to him.

 

Thea caught him looking and turned around slowly wiping water down her front now. Thorin licked his lips as she went lower watching him enjoying the show.

 

 

Luanda:

 

Luanda returned to her tiny room after putting the water bowl back into it's secured storage cabinet. Her owner was drunk and thankfully passed out again. Luanda didn't think she could take another night in his bed anymore.

 

She already missed her monthly blessing a few times. Two mornings in a row she been sick just before eating.

 

Luanda decided to take her chances on the jungle road. Her only plan was to travel beyond the lands of Angmar. Maybe, try to go back to her own island home land before her body became heavy with child.

 

She had come to a point in her life she rather die free then see her child sold as a slave. She stole a traveler's cloak in case of bad weather and packed the rest of her things into a small bag. Extra food, a single fire stone stolen from the kitchen some time ago and now the coins.

By the time she gathered her courage and took the inn owner's horse. It was getting late into the night. Luanda saddled up the horse and was soon riding through the streets staying to the shadows as much as she could.

 

Thankfully, it wasn't unusual for a slave to be mounted and running errands in the middle of the night. Most slaves were at the mercy of their owner's whims most days. Often sent out at odd hours to fetch something or do some odd task.

 

Luanda came to the spot where she could see the main gate out of the town. She waited a short while until one of the pair of guards walked away to use one of the privies set aside for the guards. Lucky for her the gate was wide open still for late night arrivals.

 

If he had to make water. He would have stepped out of sight beyond the wall and piss somewhere on the outside wall. The other guard would be busy for least a few minutes.

With only a single guard at his post Luanda rode forward. The guard didn't pay her any attention until she turned the horse to point toward the open gate.

 

Before he could asked for her slave pass. As Luanda started digging into her bag grabbing some of the coins. While pretending to find the slave pass she dropped the coins instead.

 

“Oh, master's coins. ” Luanda said putting as much panic as she could into her voice. The guard's reaction was to bend down to pick up the coins which left him unbalanced as Luanda's foot connected with his helmet.

 

If the second guard had been here he would have stood in the gate's doorway blocking the exit.

 

Luanda kicked the horse and whipped the reins. The horse took off with a run and Luanda was gone from sight into the darkness within seconds.

 

The guard realizing his mistake as he got up. He quickly picked up the drop coins and returned to his post before his partner returned. The entire time that he was alone. He looked around glad no one had witness his blunder.

 

Losing a slave would mean a heavy fine for the guard who allowed one to get pass him without a fight. The dropped coins were enough to buy his silence.

 

Outside the town's walls, Luanda slowed the horse to a fast trot and breathe with relief. Chances were that the guard would say nothing accepting her round about bribe. Luanda turned her head slightly listening for yells or the ringing of a bell.

 

All was quiet behind her and only the moonlit road was before her. As the morning light came Luanda came to a fork in the road and saw one path was well traveled while the other one wasn't. Luanda recalled a abandon village in that direction. There was a story about a dragon living in that area.

 

An idea occurred to her. If the horse was found missing it's rider. Most would assume a big cat would have killed the foolish slave girl. She decided to hide out for a few days before moving on.

 

Gathering her things she gave the horse a good smack on the rump watching it run North. Luanda then started walking down the other road doing her best not to leave footprints that could be tracked.

2