Chapter 217
113 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The large courtyard befits that of an Imperial palace, and the structures that make up the compound are, in fact, a palace that is currently housing a hundred disciples of the Galaxy Sword sect.

There is no trace of the sect’s Ark that brought these disciples here, but I do not consider it a loss because, without the ability to gain insight from studying it, it only has value as a tourist attraction — in other words, no value to me at all.

The Sky Continent Martial Conference is first and foremost a show of power between the four major sects and not a competition; it is an opportunity for each sect to show off its disciples — a large number of them, and not just the ten highest ranking ones.

The Sky Dragon Alliance is only an alliance in name. There is little to no cooperation between the four sects — the first and foremost leaders of the continent — and there exists a permanent glimpse of a power vacuum that any one of them could fill.

According to Lan Xiaohui, and likely many of the disciples of the various sects on this continent, this Conference is a method for sects to maintain good relations with each other, and show off their strength. Though, I do not believe the diplomatic effort exerted here is in the way that Lan Xiaohui imagines.

Though I have no eyes to see, or skin to feel, I sense an electric buzz in the air; one that reminds me of those times during war when activity would reach frantic levels of development before a major operation. It is truly as though the disciples here, and likely in every other sect, are preparing for war, not a competition.

The five elders that came with the sect stand in the courtyard, each one performing a different task, and I recognize some of them, but not all of them. There is Elder Qin, Elder Hao, and Elder Huang, and the other two I do not recognize.

Other than Elder Qin, the other elders brought the best and brightest of their own martial palaces. Sun Yongzheng, apparently, is a disciple of Elder Huang, because he moves to join the elder shortly after arriving at this place.

As for Elder Qin, her only two disciples are Lan Xiaohui and Wu Yulan, the latter who is still at the Perilous Sword Valley — or dead.

Though Elder Qin is likely used to this, if she even attended any of the other Conferences, but Lan Xiaohui feels a pang of guilt over losing her benefactor some face for letting her dwell over an empty section of the palace, devoid of her disciples. Not that one disciple would change the perception of such a situation, as the others each brought ten of their own best and brightest disciples.

“Junior greets Elder Qin,” Lan Xiaohui announces herself and greets the elder, cupping her fist respectfully and bowing.

Elder Qin’s expression lightens up when she notices Lan Xiaohui and smiles. “Zhu Xuelian, I was worried that you would be late,” she says. “I hope your trip here has been uneventful.”

Lan Xiaohui smiles in return. “I had to fly for two days with barely any rest, but otherwise, it was uneventful, Elder Qin.”

Elder Qin nods at my owner’s words, satisfied with this kind of determination to make it in time, and seemingly not bothered at all by the fact that, had Lan Xiaohui left earlier, this flight or the intensity of it would have been unnecessary.

“Was the Demon Suppression Chamber beneficial to your cultivation at all?” Elder Qin asks, seemingly curious about this matter in particular.

Lan Xiaohui shrugs, now unsure how to answer this question on the potential that it was a trick of some sort. “Yes, Elder Qin,” she goes with the obvious answer.

In truth, my owner had spent almost no time within the Demon Suppression Chamber, performing most of her cultivation within my manifested Inner World. Although she could make little use of my formations, she still managed to cultivate her qi according to the [Salvation Ashes] manual and progress its first layer mysteries to a significant degree.

In her mind, it had the benefit of letting her cultivate within my Inner World, in peace and undisturbed.

“Elder Qin,” Lan Xiaohui begins. “Did Yu Shun… not come here?”

Hearing the name, Elder Qin frowns. “He is here, but he did not come with us.”

“What do you mean?” Lan Xiaohui asks.

“He is with the Seven Killing Swords sect,” Elder Qin explains. “He may be part of our sect, but he is also the Legacy Disciple of that one. For most disciples, this is also a good opportunity to reconnect with old friends and similar matters.”

“I see,” Lan Xiaohui murmurs, and for once, I cannot read her thoughts or her heart.

Was she hoping to see him?

“I know you have a history with Yu Shun, but this is neither the time nor the place to settle old grudges,” Elder Qin says. “I hope you understand, Zhu Xuelian.”

My owner nods and smiles. “Elder Qin, I am only here for the reward so that I may help my friend; my personal matters can wait.”

Elder Qin smiles. “Good, good. I am glad I chose you, Zhu Xuelian. Taking you into my palace has not been a mistake.”

“Why did you pick me? And Wu Yulan?” Lan Xiaohui asks. “You knew nothing about me, and I heard you haven’t had any disciples in a very long time.”

“Because you were worthy and you had the potential to learn what I have to teach,” Elder Qin replies.

Lan Xiaohui tilts her head. “You could tell I had the potential? Back then?”

Elder Qin chuckles and shakes her head. “No, but someone who knew your potential told me, and she was not wrong.”

“So that’s what it was,” Lan Xiaohui says, mildly impressed and disappointed at the same time.

That someone can only be Lady Yue, and it is clear now that when she said she would help Lan Xiaohui enter the sect, this is what she meant. With Elder Qin receiving a prospective candidate to entrust her martial arts to, despite the result of the Pagoda, turning Lan Xiaohui away would be rather difficult, if not impossible.

Especially when Elder Qin’s lack of disciples, and the criteria for becoming one, are taken into account does this fact become even more obvious. To Elder Qin — a member of the Guardian Sect behind the Galaxy Sword — passing this opportunity to obtain a worthy disciple was impossible. Even if the other two elders outvoted her and turned Lan Xiaohui away, it is entirely possible that Lan Xiaohui would’ve become a member of the before-mentioned Guardian Sect instead, and a member of the You family.

“Elder Qin, if that is the case, then you should also know that I have already entrusted my life and future to this person,” Lan Xiaohui says. “Formally becoming your disciple… this is—“

Before Lan Xiaohui can finish, Elder Qin raises her hand to cut her off.

“Zhu Xuelian, you do not have to formally become my disciple,” Elder Qin says.

Lan Xiaohui raises her head at this. “I don’t?”

“I also owe my life to the person you speak of,” Elder Qin says. “That is why I would not mind teaching you my martial arts. You are young, so you don’t understand this kind of desire, but I also wish for my glimpse of the Dao to live on forever. If you follow that person, my martial arts will reach a new height that I could never reach on my own, perhaps even becoming the pillars of a new sect. Otherwise, my life and my sacrifices will have been in vain.”

Lan Xiaohui lowers her head again, struck deeply by Elder Qin’s words and perspective.

I, too, am impressed by Elder Qin’s words. In this society, there is always a tug of war between one’s own desires and the common obligations one has toward sect and family. For sword cultivators — who are mostly righteous and straightforward — this is a most painful aspect of their existence. Passing on their martial arts, but limited in who they can choose due to those obligations.

Humbled and enlightened, Lan Xiaohui excuses herself, offering a respectful farewell, and heading toward her wing room. Even late into the evening, Elder Qin’s words remain on my owner’s mind and, more importantly, their meaning and how they relate to Lan Xiaohui.

What will be her legacy?

7