Chapter 111
1.3k 2 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When we first arrived at the city, the information I gathered also described an heir of the Wu clan — a rebellious princess that did not want to marry the political figures of the city. This person is likely Wu Yulan.

What is most astounding about her is not her political background, but the purity of her heart which I can detect because we are suitable for the same Dao — the Dao of Sword.

But this girl does not look like a sword cultivator and judging her by appearance alone would be a fatal mistake — my owner does not look like a sword cultivator either — but there are subtle indicators.

For example, Lan Xiaohui’s mannerisms invoke the sword in the mind’s eye; her cold gaze is like the biting edge of steel as it parts all uncertainty before her. There is a conviction to Lan Xiaohui that cannot be simply expressed by what is visible; the sword lurks in her heart, the same way I can feel it lurk within the girl. But unlike Lan Xiaohui’s sword, this girl’s sword is dull and still formless.

After a moment of silence, the girl glances at Lan Xiaohui, having until now avoided her gaze.

“Are you related to my teacher Zhu Ye?” the girl asks.

Lan Xiaohui shakes her head. “I am not,” she says.

The girl smiles. “That would’ve been an odd coincidence,” she says.

Here, their conversation stalls. Both of them are shy, but inquisitive enough to not let their demeanor get in the way too much, except when it cannot be helped.

“Are you here for the Martial Meeting?” Wu Yulan asks.

Lan Xiaohui nods. “I am.”

Wu Yulan’s eyes widen, and she shifts her position to slightly turn towards Lan Xiaohui. “Are you from this kingdom?”

Lan Xiaohui nods. “Yes.”

“Oh,” the girl emits and looks slightly disappointed. “I’ve never met a cultivator from another kingdom or continent. I’ve never really met a cultivator at all.”

Lan Xiaohui sucks on her lower lip and then shrugs. “They’re not that different from anyone else.”

Wu Yulan tilts her head at those words. “But ordinary people cannot become heroes like Lu Long; they don’t go on adventures like Aunt Yue.”

Aunt Yue? Is Lady Yue somehow related to the Wu clan? Reading the surface thought patterns of Wu Yulan, and the mistress of this estate earlier, does not indicate that there is a blood-relative connection between the two.

Maybe it’s a term of address that denotes close friendship.

“Not all cultivators are heroes,” Lan Xiaohui says. “The sects have thousands of disciples and most of them are not special in any way.”

Wu Yulan nods. “I see,” she hums. “What sect are you from?”

“I don’t belong to a sect anymore,” my owner says.

The girl’s eyes light up. “Did it get destroyed and now you are the only heir who can return it to its glory?”

Her question is extremely specific.

Lan Xiaohui laughs. “It’s nothing like that,” she says.

Wu Yulan nods, once more disappointed. “The rivers and the lakes that I see from these walls are so exciting,” she says. “This year, many cultivators came to the city and I’ve heard so many stories. These are things I can never have.”

Her somber tone causes my owner to purse her lips in thought and slightly lower her gaze.

“I envy you Zhu Xuelian. With some luck you will join the Galaxy Sword sect and go beyond this kingdom — in a hundred years, maybe this city will celebrate a Festival in your heroic name,” Wu Yulan says, folding her hands together in her lap.

Lan Xiaohui knows best what it is like to be born into a clan of fame and prestige; what it is like to live one’s life more as a good or a product than a person.

Lady Yue is a smart person. I do not believe that this meeting is a coincidence or destiny — this is Lady Yue’s design.

Lan Xiaohui is a righteous cultivator following a demonic path — as strange as that may sound — and this creates an individual with certain peculiarities; for example, the animosity towards unfairness and the desire to help those who deserve her help.

Meeting Wu Yulan, for Lan Xiaohui, always had only one outcome. As someone who understands the rebellious princess’ hardships, Lan Xiaohui cannot help but engage in diplomacy that will likely destroy her standing in the city.

“You should try to join the Galaxy Sword sect, too,” she says, and with those words puts into motion a chain of events that will likely end up being to our great benefit, or unspeakable disaster.

Wu Yulan smiles awkwardly and nervously folds and unfolds her hands on her lap. “What if my family doesn’t approve?” she asks.

Lan Xiaohui shrugs. “It’s the Galaxy Sword sect,” she says as if it is an obvious thing. Even I understand it — who can defy the Galaxy Sword sect?

This time, Wu Yulan laughs and I can feel a rising heat in her heart. This heat is a dangerous mix of excitement and blood lust. This person is also a sword cultivator through and through, just like my owner — suited not to these tall walls surrounding her mansion, but to the dangerous world outside where the weak die and the strong survive.

“I don’t think I will succeed, but it doesn’t hurt to try, right?” Wu Yulan asks.

Lan Xiaohui nods. “Even if you fail, in five years, you will have another opportunity,” she says. “The worst that can happen is that you will realize that this life is not for you, after all; and then you will no longer have any regrets.”

Wu Yulan’s eyes grow wide at my owner’s words, realizing the simple but accurate logic within them. The ghost of adventure will never stop haunting her until she tries to meet the devil halfway.

But then Wu Yulan sighs. “I know martial arts, but there is so little time to practice for the tournament,” she says. “All the brightest geniuses from the best sects will be there. I don’t think I can compete with them. And I don’t have a teacher.”

Lan Xiaohui smiles and engages in even riskier diplomacy; she reaches over to take Wu Yulan’s hand into her own. “You have me,” she says. “I will practice with you.”

Wu Yulan looks at her hand in Lan Xiaohui’s and then looks up into my owner’s eyes. “But there is so little time.”

Lan Xiaohui’s smile grows even wider. “On the road, there is never enough time, Wu Yulan. We will do our best with what we have so that we do not have any regrets.”

Wu Yulan squeezes Lan Xiaohui’s hand and nods. Her smile is pure and brilliant.

“Tomorrow is the first exam, it doesn’t test any abilities; only your heart. I don’t think you have to participate, but I think you should,” Lan Xiaohui explains.

Wu Yulan furrows her eyebrows together but nods. “Won’t it be a disaster if I fail?”

Lan Xiaohui shrugs. “It could,” she says, nodding in agreement. “But if you are really meant for this path, the Pagoda will show you.”

Wu Yulan nods and smiles. “Very well. Let’s do our best together, Sister Zhu.”

To build a rapport this quickly — it is something only sword cultivators can do. They must be the simplest, least complicated class of creatures in the world of cultivators which at times also makes them difficult to understand or predict.

Lady Yue — I am certain that she knew that this would turn out this way.

39