Chapter 181
285 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wu Yulan and Lan Xiaohui both seem extremely confused about the thick wall of flying snow in front of them and the region of stillness beyond it that they can barely sense.

When Wu Yulan extends her hand forward, as if to see if this is real, and not merely an illusion, she yelps and withdraws her fingers before the snow can sever them. Several cuts appear on her fingertips, with the longest gash on her index finger which she immediately presses to her lips and tongue.

“How do we get through?” Wu Yulan asks, narrowing her eyes and resting her hand on the pommel of her sword.

Lan Xiaohui inhales deeply, closing her eyes. “I will open my domain, then we will jump through.”

Wu Yulan looks at my owner, perhaps more to determine if she has lost her mind than to check her state. Jumping through the wall of snow was practically suicide, but there was a small chance it could work if — and only if — Lan Xiaohui could open her domain at full power.

“I will do the same,” Wu Yulan says. Her own domain has the ability to freeze and slow objects.

Wu Yulan’s hand finds Lan Xiaohui’s and grips it tightly.

They both close their eyes, opening their spiritual senses and attuning them to each other. They feel around their internal systems, calibrating each other to the tempo of their deep, slow breaths.

A point of black energy appears in front of Lan Xiaohui’s forehead, and a point of white energy appears in front of Wu Yulan’s. Slowly, these two points expand in one dimension, flattening like a disc made of sword energy.

The discs rotate around their central axis, turning like a wheel.

“Now!” Wu Yulan exclaims and both discs expand rapidly, draining the world of color — though it wasn’t colorful to begin with — and for a very brief moment, the wall of snow in front of them stands still, particles of snow vibrating.

In this state, it is clear that this is not snow, but sword energy that is so fine that it appears like snow. Though some frozen water vapor might be part of it, this glimmer of energetic light is most certainly sword qi.

Immediately after Wu Yulan exclaims and their domains expand, the two jump through the frozen wall of snow, and to their surprise, make it through without sustaining heavy injuries. In fact, not even a scratch appears on their bodies.

As soon as they pass through the barrier, the swirling snow and sword energy resumes behind them, flowing even faster and more violently than before, silencing any thoughts of escape through the same means.

They are now stuck here, and to make matters worse, this is not an exit.

They suddenly find themselves in a vast suppression formation.

I am familiar with this type of suppression, and so is Lan Xiaohui. This sensation is identical to the one we felt inside the Forbidden Ancestral Hunting Grounds, though the formation is completely different. For one, there is no burning, artificial sun in the sky, nor are there any trees. The purpose of the formation seems different, also, though I cannot tell what the purpose is, neither can I find the nodes of the formation.

However, I can deduce several aspects of it. The aspect I am least certain about is that the blizzard outside may somehow originate from this formation or place, or somehow be involved in its creation. The sword force within the valley is most likely a natural phenomenon, but the blizzard itself may be artificial. However, what I am most certain about is that this formation, and the blizzard, has the function of leading creatures away from it.

Wu Yulan and Lan Xiaohui would not be able to find this place on their own — they would get lost countless times if they attempted to find it. To my absolute perception, on the other hand, it is a trivial matter. In truth, I never even felt the effects of this formation nor did I know, until now, that such an effect was present.

They find themselves in a paved courtyard, although the manner in which the courtyard ends, and the blizzard and forest beyond begins, is peculiar. Is this place a different space, or did the blizzard outside simply erase the flooring?

The entrance gate no longer exists, at least not within the circular area that is untouched by the storm, and most of the courtyard is populated by stone lanterns that have aged considerably and become weathered. A cliff face dominates the other side of the courtyard, and a stone staircase leading to a temple-like structure is built into it.

In the direction of the temple, I detect several objects of interest; first, a large sword, easily thirty steps across hangs above the temple with multiple chains bound to it. The rest of the sword disappears into the blizzard, so it is difficult to estimate its height. The chains connect to the cornerstones of the temple and even I find this rather foreboding and ominous.

There are multiple symbols drawn on the temple, though their meaning and function is unknown to me. In addition to the symbols, several dozen yellow-paper charms are attached to many of the stone lanterns.

The door to the temple is closed and there are no markings on it, but when Lan Xiaohui and Wu Yulan look at it, their hearts tremble with fear.

Foreboding. Evil. Forbidden.

It is not strange that they feel such extreme fear toward the temple. Even I am aware of the existence of devils, or rather, their myth. It is a common story in this kingdom, but also, most likely, in all kingdoms.

True devils exist.

Most sword cultivators seek the Dao to become immortal for their own reasons; this is true for most, if not all, cultivators. However, every sword cultivator, whether they follow the righteous or demonic path, swears to kill all devils. There can be no exceptions.

Whether this applies to me or not, I do not know. Whether I am a demonic sword or a devil sword is perhaps merely a degree of philosophy, but it could also be something fundamentally different.

Even so, I am simply a sword and not a living creature. Even if my consciousness and soul were to disperse, would I truly die or merely remain as a broken sword? If I am a devil, which part of me would be devilish — my soul or my vessel?

I suspect a True Devil is something entirely different.

They remain in place, shivering in the cold, as they wordlessly contemplate their options. Their options are rather straightforward, but I can understand their hesitation. If they want to live, they will have to enter the temple. Remaining outside, in the courtyard, with the amount of wounds they have is simply suicidal, and leaving seems as impossible as surviving in the open.

“Yaoyue…” Lan Xiaohui whispers.

“I don’t detect anything beyond the door,” I tell them.

It is not that I do not detect anyone or anything beyond the door, it is that my perception cannot go beyond the door. Though, I see no reason to correct myself or to explain. Either way, there is nowhere else to go.

Lan Xiaohui nods and looks at Wu Yulan. Wu Yulan also nods and then begins heading up the stairs and toward the door.

Once they are in front of it, they put one hand on each side of the door and slowly push it open. Beyond the threshold, only darkness awaits.

As they step forward, I sense a tremendous consciousness sweep over me and my owner and her companion, and it is such a vast and powerful existence that even I experience that emotion called fear, though I am not certain if it truly is my soul that shivers or my sentient core.

“Do not ent—“ I try to warn them, but it is too late.

This is atypical of me. There was neither a point nor a reason to warn them. Even if entering the temple is certain death, staying outside of it is also certain death. The outcome is the same.

As the door slams shut behind them, only darkness remains.

Even here, I do not sense any presence or anything. I cannot tell if this is a room, an open space, an emptiness — nothing.

The twinkle of distant chains echoes through the space and a pair of luminous, golden eyes open in the distance and then narrow as they slowly turn a bloody, crimson color.

10