Chapter 194
419 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sword force contained in the snow swirling around them used to pose a credible threat to them. However, now, with their exceptional attainment of the sword that they have obtained from the brink of death, the snow is just that to them: snow.

Lan Xiaohui even extends a finger to allow a snowflake to land on it, and she observes the snowflake closely. It trembles on her fingertip, vibrating with invisible force. It is not entirely an ice crystal, but resembles something closer to a shard of metal that came from a sword. Perhaps that is even the true identity of this valley that You Wulei called “Perilous Sword Valley”.

Now that I think about it, that mountain where the princess is trapped itself resembled more a sword than a natural geological formation.

“Can I see?” Wu Yulan asks, peering over Lan Xiaohui’s shoulder to steal glances at the snowflake.

“Mm, it reminds me of your sword and ice energy,” Lan Xiaohui says as she presents the snowflake to Wu Yulan.

Wu Yulan does not touch it, instead bringing her face closer to Lan Xiaohui’s hand to stare at the snowflake that refuses to melt.

“It just looks similar,” Wu Yulan says after a moment.

Lan Xiaohui nods.

“Xuelian, I am thinking of returning here and cultivating for a few months. What do you think?”

Lan Xiaohui silently sighs in her heart, a glimmer of relief springing forth.

“I was hoping you would say that,” Lan Xiaohui says. “The sword force and ice energy here may be different from yours, but it could help.”

Wu Yulan smiles and nods. “There is no need for you to worry about me. I have sealed my sword, but not my determination,” she says, wrapping her arms around my owner’s body and resting her chin on her shoulder. “But I am happy that you are so concerned about me.”

Lan Xiaohui smiles, tangling a finger in her hair. “I am sorry, Yulan. I know you wouldn’t give up because of something like this, but I also know how difficult it can be to lose something important.”

Wu Yulan chuckles and shakes her head. “Everything that is important to me is still here,” she says with a casual tone, but a deeper darkness opens in her heart. “When I saw you use that sword and give up your life, that is when I thought I lost everything.”

Lan Xiaohui frowns and nods. She now understands very well where Wu Yulan’s priorities are.

“At that moment, I did resent myself for not being strong enough. I resented the sword for not being powerful enough,” Wu Yulan explains. “Now, I don’t regret losing it at all. I couldn’t protect you or myself with it. What use to me is such a useless thing?”

Lan Xiaohui turns her head to glance at her companion from the corner of her eye.

“But now I also understand something about the sword,” Wu Yulan says. “I misunderstood and underestimated it. I cannot yet put it into words, but I saw a glimpse of the truth when I saw you use that technique.”

“What did you see?” Lan Xiaohui asks, her tone careful and distant.

“Your heart was empty,” Wu Yulan says. “There was no desire — not to live, or to kill. It was terrifying and beautiful. It made me feel like I was unworthy; like I have never truly held a sword in my hand before — only a replica or imitation.”

Lan Xiaohui remains silent for a long time before finally nodding.

“It is strange, but I don’t feel like I lost my sword at all,” Wu Yulan says. “If anything, it feels like I obtained an opportunity to rebuild my foundations in the image of that sword.”

My owner’s heart is filled with happiness at her companion’s words, but also worry. Lan Xiaohui knows first-hand what that sword that Wu Yulan admires is and what it means.

They fly for another hour before finally emerging through the blizzard and into the clear skies beyond. When Lan Xiaohui shares her vision with me, I can see that the valley stretches for several dozen kilometers, and seems to be entirely shrouded in a strange, permanent snowstorm.

I don’t see any mountains or other landmarks within the snowstorm, but I know they are there. It is, truly, a mysterious and dangerous place.

Lan Xiaohui’s instinct to walk south turns out to be true because this is indeed the northern side of the Sky Continent. Unfortunately for Lan Xiaohui back then, it was also the northern end of the valley.

As they fly south for nearly half an hour at greater speed, a black dot appears on the distant horizon, heading toward them.

Within just a short few minutes, the dot becomes a person flying on a sword toward them.

It is You Huaming, You Wulei’s disciple.

Lan Xiaohui slows down as they approach the Heavenly Sword Villa disciple, coming to a complete stop once they are only separated by a dozen or so steps.

“Where have you been?” You Huaming asks without any greeting or politeness. In fact, her tone is completely monotone and unreadable.

“Greetings, fellow sister,” Lan Xiaohui replies, practicing politeness regardless of the other party’s demeanor. “We were in the valley.”

Technically, that is not a lie.

You Huaming nods. “I could not find you. Fairy Snow was very concerned for you.”

Lan Xiaohui remains silent for a beat, probably thinking about her next words. She, better than anyone, understands how difficult it is to trick or lie to a sword cultivator, especially one like You Huaming.

Those who suppress their hearts are more aware of the changes and transformations of the hearts and intentions of others.

“We are grateful to You Huaming for taking care of the matter personally, but as you can see, we are safe and sound and there is no need to worry,” Lan Xiaohui says.

You Huaming stares at Lan Xiaohui, expressionless. After a moment she nods. “I will tell Fairy Snow and Master that I found you. I will escort you back to Star City.”

With those words, You Huaming withdraws a talisman from the sleeve of her dress and focuses on it.

“Please wait one moment, fellow sister,” Wu Yulan calls out. “I have a request that I would hope you could pass on to your master.”

“Speak,” You Huaming says.

“I’d like to return to the Perilous Sword Valley to continue my training and would like to ask for permission,” Wu Yulan says.

Lan Xiaohui glances over her shoulder to Wu Yulan and then back to You Huaming.

Wu Yulan’s words certainly have an effect on You Huaming, but I find it nearly impossible to decipher the brief flash of emotion.

You Huaming nods. “I will pass it on.”

The talisman burns up in her hand and then You Huaming turns around on her sword and begins flying south.

“Follow,” her words ring into existence next to my owner and her companion, and they also begin flying south, following after the passionless sword cultivator.

“What will you do if your request is refused?” Lan Xiaohui asks, perhaps more worried about Yun Fei than Wu Yulan’s training.

Wu Yulan shrugs. “What else? I will go in without permission.”

Lan Xiaohui laughs and shakes her head. Considering who her enemies are, she does not feel that strongly about potentially adding another powerful enemy to the list.

15