THE BOUNTY HUNTERS [FINALE]
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Drawing from eons of academic knowledge, the woman sits straighter. Three thousand years of civilization in the deep desert; a land of eternity across seas of sand and beneath the rage of five and one gods. The knowledge of a fragmented prophecy, memorized and finally retrieved again. Within a mind of flesh and silicone the web falls upon the solution, the intertwined gears of fate producing a finality of humanity’s existence upon a dying world.

She speaks, upmost confidence as she glances between the twins. “That is why you have chosen to integrate yourself among the Civilia Huntarus of the Federated Cities. Not only will such an income satisfy your caloric intake Samuel, but you must also be able to conceal the truth that… ”

Manara trails off as she attempts to formulate the words, choking upon the reality of her place in the world. “The two fragments given to Armin… they were…”

Utter silence.

Gods watching three souls, an unbroken pause at the revelation of divine power.

“I am unsure if I should be honored.” The Auditor attempts to joke as she releases a tiny laugh upon an angular face. “I doubt many can claim to have survived a shot from a fragment of the GOD GUN.

“I… could not terminate you.” Samantha speaks up. “Forgive me.”

“It is already forgiven.” Manara wavers. “I understand you are not as privileged as I. Your existence has been defined by the Collective that hunts you; the Auditors they send to retrieve such items that you carry. You believed that if I were to learn of the weapon in your possession and the augments within your body, I would have no choice but to terminate the both of you.”

Both Samuel and Samantha nod in guilt, the Auditor taking a sigh as she compensates for the ruined lung within her chest cavity. “You two hold a connection to this world and to each other. Your fate has been defined the moment you were born. I… value such a bond, even above my oath to the Collective. And no being has the right to go against the gods themselves.”

A singular note given by the Armin Collective Mage, a decision to reveal a fragment of terrifying prophecy granted by the mind. “Are you aware of why the Auditors exist?”

Samantha turns to her sibling, Samuel recalling knowledge gleaned from libraries of bound parchment. “It is theorized that it is for a religious purpose; that the defection of a Mage or significant figure is testament to betraying an oath given to Armin.”

“That is merely a half truth, a purpose given to the Collective outside the Arcane Schools.” Manara explains. “There are prophecies exclusive to the Armin Collective, those that affect the nation only. A majority of them are kept secret, however in terms of this scripture we as Auditors are given the true reason of our existence.”

A pause as the woman continues. “There will come a time when a losethi will return to the Collective, one who will burn the unity to the ground. And the dynasty that the Empress’ line has built will crumble to ashes in the fire of the old gods; a calamity awoken from the Old War. Their salvation will be our annihilation, the end to Armin, the end to our Collective.”

Samuel and Samantha both speak aloud, disappointment mild and tension broken. “That is hardly a prophecy.”

“But it is why the Auditors exist.” Manara finishes. “It is why we hunt the losethi, to prevent such a prophetic prediction from coming to fruition.”

“It does not seem an effective measure, as there are multiple losethi that exist.” Samuel notes. “There is even a judge in the Federated Cities who is a losethi mage. I believe she is quite effective and famous among her circle.”

Manara sighs at the words. “I do question why we must hunt those who follow their own wills. Those who choose a fate that diverges from their destined paths do live an attractive life. A determination of destiny, against the Five.”

A pause as the Collective Mage stares into the fire. “You have carved your own path in this world, together. I do not believe I have the capability or right to alter it. If your destiny is to burn the Collective, then it cannot be stopped. Either by my hand, or those you face.”

A finality to a conversation, intention broadcast to the twins clearly.

Samantha clears her throat, a subtle motion bridging the asked question forth. “What will you attempt to do now?”

“Find my Huntarus Audmotum.” The Auditor answers clearly. “Although, according to that individual whom you terminated, Naro Siddim is already dead.”

“He was not lying.” Samuel adds with augmented senses. “And if Naro did encounter Alto Carrin, there is a near zero possibility of her being alive. If you do encounter the individual known as the Vigil within these lands, exercise extreme caution.”

Auditor Manara attempts to stretch, muscles pulling against recovering internal structure. A pang of white hot heat echoes in her form, a system cautioning against further movement. “I will go to Old Springs, if she is truly dead then my Huntarus is complete.”

“Will you return to the Collective then?” Samantha asks.

A pause, a mind already made and a decision considered. “I will return to the City of Two. I have been away for too long. I believe such isolation is beginning to compromise my emotional status.”

Rising from her sitting position the full, angular form of the Auditor stands. A half-clothed body still covered in arcane bandages, there’s a pause as internal sensors protest against the conscious movement.

“I do not suggest traveling in such a state.” Samuel informs as he follows the creature’s action. “It would be more effective to…”

“I will be optimal.” Manara smiles assuredly, taking her traveling pack off the bedroll.

A weight lighter than before, a glance given to the pair of twins.

“Forgive me.” Samuel infers the unspoken question. “Given the caloric exhaustion of today’s activities it was necessary for me to consume two of your mage rations.”

“A danar-observa mage requires more than two standard packs.” Manra responds as she reaches into the opened bag, removing a stack of three bone-white containers. “Take these, I do not believe I require them.”

“I cannot accept such a gift.” The boy insists as he watches her set the rations down.

The woman breathes as she brushes a few strands of hair from her face, a smile approaching her face. “Assure me you will take care of your lives. In exchange for such a burden, accept this.”

“I do not believe it would be productive to argue this point.” Samantha speaks to her brother with a rare speck of insight.

A long pause before he answers her. “Then I am in agreement. We accept your gifts, and will take care of ourselves under oath.”

“That is all that I require.” Manara shuts her eyes, pausing before speaking her next question with genuine purpose. “What is your next objective?”

The twins take a moment to silently enumerate, Samantha speaking as the decision is made. “We will return to March.”

Samuel bridges the words from his sibling, an assurance in evidence. “We have recovered several artifacts that will be of resale value there.”

“Take grave care.” Auditor Manara warns. “There is a prophecy that the Savior sleeps within the deepest foundations of the old cities in the southlands, and that the final war between the remnants of the old gods and the Five will begin there.”

“The source for such a prophecy has been declared apocryphal by a majority of religious sects within the Federated Cities.” Samuel recalls coldly.

“It has not been declared such by the Armin Collective.” Auditor Manara responds in kind. “Maintain vigilance within the city, as you do possess the fragments of the Savior weapon.”

“We appreciate the advice.” Samantha replies.

Manara watches as the twins stand from their seats, a goodbye prepared within hearts both mechanical and flesh.

A fate woven together by the gods above, the splitting of the road of destiny fast approaching. The separation of souls brings forth a pang of regret within the heart of the woman, a tragic stare expressed through a dead, doll-like face. Eyes closing as an unstable breath is taken, a flare of augmentation dangerously suppressed as Manara attempts to force out words.

“Samuel, Samantha…”

A pause, silence beneath the five.

“I will not give a parting, as I do not think this will be the final time I will encounter you two. I sense a great destiny between the Five and yourselves, and I believe your fate is inseparably intertwined with the Collective.”

A step taken as the woman pauses, a final offering given to the divine as she stares towards the night sky. Beneath the thin light of the five suns at rest, the Auditor turns to the twisari fratrem. “If you are ever in the City of Two, find me. I believe it would be beneficial for us to unite in domestic circumstances, when compared to that of a huntarus.”

The leveled stare is returned, Manara adjusting her traveling pack as she turns eastward. “Be well.”

Travelers upon a dying world, one final glance given towards the pair of twins at the edge of augmented vision as they sit surrounding a chemical fire. Silent enumeration upon themselves, planning towards a future to come.

A pair of souls, destined to wander the wastelands together. Two parts of a greater destiny, a prophecy and power from an era long past:

Bring together the five pieces of a broken god.

Unite them, to birth a weapon that will save us all.

THE GOD GUN.

And with this fateful parting, we are now three fragments down!

Per usual, we'll be taking a break from the story of these two siblings from the Collective. Fate is most definitely weaving together the fragments in ways we have yet to understand, one that shall be explored in the next two arcs.

For not all of the bandit gangs fell for the Federation's ploy in Baitan; there are others with more morals and honor than simple treasure seekers. Those who would stake their fates in the great cities of humanity, and the people living within them.

I'll see you all soon in the city of March; in one of the greatest crime sprees in modern Federation history. For this world of fate pleads towards Gunslingers, Bounty Hunters, and the Lawless.

BTW: I love chatting with all of you wonderful readers on the discord, so please join up for news and good vibes.

Thank you all for sticking around, and I'll see you all tomorrow!

Have a safe day!

0