Chapter 22: The First Battle Begins
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Harry remained frozen in shock from losing his friends, who were only following his leadership.  Time was of the essence, the demons would not wait, so I slapped his cheek to wake him up.  

"Harry, I need a telepathy stone to stay in touch," I held his cheeks, forcing him to look at me.

"I g-g-got one, h-here," he reached for his pocket and lifted one up, then continued, "they are all linked t-t-together."

I grabbed it from his hand and dropped it into my jean's left pocket.  

Shutting my eyes, staring into the darkness, I sought out for a connection to the docks.   A boy's face materialized in my mind, his eyes lost of all life.  It was Mark, my first broken promise in this world.  The pain was still hidden away deep inside my memories.  The experience came gushing out, aching my heart, binding the pressure to my chest. 

The door slowly opened.  You have helped me today, Mark, thank you.  I jumped through, into the light, my resolve renewed.  

Silence filled my destination, devoid of light, as mana filled my eyes illuminating the view.  The dungeon was a fitting picture for crimes against humanity.  The wall in the middle of this room had a tunnel, which didn't exist before.  Thinking this must be the Viscount's secret chamber, I quickly walked through.  Something was shining up ahead, as I carefully approached. 

A dark gray stone altar sat in the middle of the room with a long metal pike in the center, adorning a severed head glowing a radiant white aura on its tip.

I walked around the altar to inspect the face.  Cloudy eyes violently searched around the room, as the shining fluttered, then their gaze locked onto mine.  I flinched backwards.  The mouth was moving but no sound came out.  I jumped onto the altar and slowly removed the head, lifting it up.  The disgusting sound of metal sliding against the slimy inside reverberated in the silent room.

The distraught eyes grew relaxed, still staring at me, it appeared to mouth 'thank you', before shutting them closed with a smile on its face.  The head instantly phased into mist as a shockwave of light emanated away.  Swirling in the air, the haze gathered together into a stream and shot straight into my chest.  It was too sudden, I was unable to react, as it fed into me.  My nervous system felt shocked, my limbs uncontrollable.  My muscles and skin were being changed, the pain of millions of papercuts swarmed my body and mind.

The pain fell silent.  Moving my arms, something was different.  The mana flow was slippery, less resistant as it flowed around.  I guided it towards my muscles, as they gulped with gluttonous hunger for the mana.

Slapping my cheeks, I switched focus to my original goal for coming here.  I will investigate later.  I scanned the secret room, quickly spotting a standing capsule large enough to fit a single man.  This must be how they were transported here.  Not taking a chance, I filled mana into my right arm and jabbed the device.  The metal instantly deformed, my fist crashing straight through hitting the wall behind. 

BOOOM! 

A deep cavity was formed, exploding chunks of brick and dirt, flying out to my sides.  

I turned and headed for the exit.  Collecting mana and swirling it around inside the endless pit now in my chest.  

Footsteps were heard up ahead.  I quickly moved behind the wall next to the holding cells, hiding from the dungeon entrance hallway.  The steps grew louder, sounds of fingers tapping metal reached my ears. 

The barrel of a rifle peeked out first.  Without hesitation, I reached and crushed it flat, yanking it into the room.  The trigger must have been pressed, as an explosion rang out, shattering the weapon. I rotated myself into the hallway, while creating a spike of mana in my left hand, and stabbed straight into their chest, just above the heart.

Tossing his corpse to the side, I sprinted ahead out of the dungeon.

The villa was too quiet.  The rest of the demons must all be outside.  I carefully approached the exit, glancing into the banquet hall, somewhat cleaned up from the death and destruction my first night here.  Stepping out of the building, the sun preparing to reach the horizon attracts my attention.  It will be night soon.

I lifted myself into the sky, floating above higher than the walls protecting the docks.  I spotted the ancients lying on the floor, near the entrance gate.  Checking around the area, it appeared the docks were empty of any life.  I dashed towards our fallen friends.  

His body was littered with bullet holes, it was a brutal death.  Kneeling down and placing my hand on his chest, I wanted to apologize for bringing him into this hellish world.  You will all be remembered, chiseled into history for your heroic efforts in protecting our people.  

My heart wanted to be angry, but I remembered the law number three of the Deadly Blues.  Peace of mind.  I needed to remain clear headed for the battle ahead.  My tears may only fall down when all is over.

Suddenly, his body glowed brightly and a soft pop was heard, as his corpse vanished.  I had no idea what was happening.  If I had to describe the feeling, it felt like his presence went home.   It felt right, as if it had to be done.  

I moved over to the other fallen man, and put my hand on his chest.  He glowed and instantly disappeared too.   Something was telling me, this was their path.  I repeated it for the last man.  

Standing up, I had a new confidence brewing inside my bones.  I rocketed high into the sky and reached inside my left pocket to pull out the telepathy stone.

"Ha-", my inner voice was interrupted by another.

"Command, this is squad one.  We have the city in our sights, roughly a quarter mile to our north. Awaiting orders. Over."

Who is that?!  I reached into my left pocket and felt a second stone. I remembered now!  This was the stone I picked up from the abandoned village.  Why was it locked onto their frequency?  In any case, this now gives me the advantage.  

I flew up, scouting the area, searching for their position based on the recent communication. 

Found them! They were hiding on the east side of the road in a ditch.  I scanned for any other demons flanking from this position, but they had stayed together.  

One, two, three, four, five, six, seven.  Six of them had assault rifles, and one appeared in full body armor without a weapon.  My instincts were telling me she used magic.

I wanted their souls, this was a perfect opportunity for growth.  I needed to get stronger for the war in just three days.  They still hadn't noticed me flying above them, as I moved behind a tree in our line of sight.  Placing the stone in my right pocket, I prepared myself.

I created a sharp point of hardened mana in my right hand, ready to strike as I dropped in straight above the unarmed woman.  The freefall wind blew in my face, as I concentrated on landing right on her.

BOOM!  I heard a crunch of broken ribs reverberated from my knees, through her chest, flattening her onto the ground.  I lifted my hand, preparing to strike as details of her face entered my sight.  

I faltered, recognizing her, Ellis was that you my dear wife?!  No, it was not possible, her eyes shined purple, this was a demon.  Ellis is in the Sea of Feelings.  

I was second guessing myself, as I called out, "Ellis?"

A smile rose, as her cheeks puffed up, "Yes, it is me!"

A violent shock sent me flying into the air.  My mind was confused.  My thoughts were cloudy with pain.  That is not my wife!  She was a succubus!  

I caught my silhouette, pausing me in midair.  I wanted to be angry, but this is just their nature.   They were evil, and must simply be purged.  I wrapped a thick coat of mana surrounding me, as I charged back down, increasing my speed.  A hail of bullets crashed into my shield, as a torrent of wind danced in my wake.  

I sliced straight through her chest, into the ground beneath, watching her final breath escape.

Ignoring the bullets slamming into my shield, ricocheting into the air and dirt, I stared at her face fading into her true nature.  A vile appearance of blisters and deformities became exposed.  I gritted my teeth, standing up.  

A thin line of plasma escaped my fist, as I flung myself towards the closest demon, chopping his weapon in half, as his head went flying through the air. 

I continued the onslaught, stabbing the next through his chest, as he gasped in fear.  Jumping towards another, slicing him from head to crotch in half.  

The remaining three backed away in a line, triggers locked into firing relentlessly towards me.  It was too late for them, their time was running out.  

I twisted in the air, as I swung my arm in a wide motion lopping off all three heads.  Their rifles out of ammunition stayed clicking attempting to find one last bullet to fire, but their bodies collapsed like their strings had been cut. 

My back crashed onto the ground.  The world was spinning.  I swiped my hair, when a moist feeling invaded my hand.  Staring at the blood, I realized I was injured.  But it didn't seem life threatening.  

Slowly standing up, lightheaded, I reached for the stone in my left pocket. 

"Harry, come in.  The demons have been eliminated. Over," I copied the military protocol.

"Y-yes, Harry here, everything is quiet on our side. Over."

"I will be scouting the area. Over," I dropped the stone back into my left pocket and flew into the air.  

If there were others, they would have heard the battle just now.  The sun was halfway down the horizon, and darkness would be arriving soon.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out the pod, launching The Void.

Ding!

 


Survival Rank has leveled up!

Survival Rank: 8
Oversoul: 2.5
Conversion Points: 52,111.08

Wars starts in 3 days

Would you like to receive your reward?
Yes No

 

0