29)
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

29)

Donovan- slowly backing away from the line of fire

What must have been another member of the family by her blue tipped gray hair had wandered in. A teen this time, just old enough that I would be checking her out if it wasn’t for the fact she was pushing out the same kind of pressure Luther was.

So, another one of them Elder beings like Luther, and something tells me being in the same room as two of them was bad news.

Not that being around just one had been all that fun.

Whatever it was Luther was doing to make me feel like I was at the bottom of a pool cut back as he smiled over at the girl.

"Aster! I was wondering where you were. Usually, you don't let me wander around for too long up here."

The girl crossed her arms, “You normally only come up here when you get bored and decide to make a new realm. I’ve given up on chasing you off before you’re done looking for ideas since you'll just keep finding ways to come back until you're done."

“When you want someone dealt with you normally just send up an agent, but this time I could tell you were more upset than normal. Is this about Damia?”

Luther shook his head slowly. “How do you keep up with all her names?”

The girl shrugged. “I listen when she talks to me, that’s why she keeps doing so.”

The guy in my uncle’s body rolled his eyes.

I could see the little wrinkles at the corners of his eyes had split open leaving gashes in his skin. In fact, Uncle Tarnell's corpse was looking in pretty bad shape, like he was falling apart.

The girl began walking around the room, taking a look at everyone that was there, and taking a moment to pick up the mirror and lean it up against the couch to take a good long look at the guy inside who stared back with a deliberately blank look.

“I think I've picked up on everything that is going on here.”

She pointed at the fat man, "You are going to stay out of your son's life entirely. No more attempts to kill him, no interfering with his business, just treat him as a stranger for real, instead of just when it’s convenient for you.”

The fat guy struggled to speak. "Get out of my daughter..."

The person inside the girl looked surprised. "Huh, you actually do care about her, in your own screwed up way. She was never really sure."

“But don't you worry. I'll be out in a few moments with maybe a few incidental changes, but no harm to her." she leaned forward to poke the fat guy in the chest with one finger, knocking him off his feet and back onto the couch. "Remember, restrain yourself from bothering your son again. Do not test me for there are worst things than death."

She glanced over at the old guy behind the desk. “And you, hands off as well, even if you think you’re helping him. You already screwed up one generation of your descendants.”

Cassy- Really hoping that she isn't on the list of people to be spoken to.

The Patriarch did not look happy at that comment, but of all the people in the room, he seemed to have the best grasp of who exactly this Aster was, and what she could do.

Frankly, he looked a bit terrified. Even if he hid it well.

Cinthea Thibedeau, or at least the being inside her, glanced at the First who stood there in the body of the vampire that was slowly falling to pieces, and then grinned as she turned to my boss.

“My brother has a domain in hell, quite a large one, that is ready to rise as a new Realm between hell and the mortal world. It just needs someone to take over running the place. The problem is his daughter doesn't want the job.”

Natalie looked up from her nails in polite interest.

Her niece smiled. "It seems she isn't content to just take handouts from her family. She instead wants to make her own way, to earn what she gets. You know, the way you once planned too."

My boss stood up with a smirk. “Plans change as you grow up, and don’t think hiding inside my niece will stop me from starting a fight I can’t win.”

The being called Aster laughed. "My brother's plans have changed as well, and you seem to need a new job. Perhaps it might be better to rule in Hell than serve under Kevin."

Luther began to object, then looked thoughtful.

Aster wandered over to the mirror to look in at Martin.

“No one ever outright told her about you, but she figured it out mostly on her own.”

She brushed her hands along the top of the mirror. "She desperately wants to meet you and is terrified of meeting you. Longing and guilt. Loneliness and fear. You know how that goes."

“Send her an invitation to your new home. Make it clear she is welcome anytime. When she is feeling brave enough she will come on her own, of her own choice, not her family's."

She turned to the Patriarch once more. “You have until noon to recover your grandson and seal the breach in reality.”

“Do not make me come back down here.”

She gave everyone in the room one last look.

“I was going to make a dramatic exit, but if I leave this body here alone I think Cindy might actually die of embarrassment.”

Then she headed for the door with one last order.

“...and do go home brother. Kevin isn't our dad, so hurting him won't make you feel better."

Martin- Experiencing some mixed feelings.

So that's my sister. I wonder what's she like without an Elder being using her as a meat puppet.

Sally stood halfway out of the room with a wide eyed look. “What the hell was that?”

I glanced over at her, "My sister, Cinthea. Weren't you listening?"

She reached over to smack me on the shoulder. Worth it.

I rubbed at my shoulder at the all too real pain, mocking a swamp witch came at its own peril. "Well she called the First brother, so I'm guessing the Second maybe?"

The First spoke up from the other side of the looking glass. “Yeah, he created me first to maintain the outer shell which he made to protect himself from the primordial Chaos. Then he put a second layer between him and it with her to watch over it before he ran off to hide in the innermost core. From which no one has heard fuck all from him ever since then. Despite what my sister’s claims.”

He looked off to the side. “Guess I was taking out some unresolved family issues on you Kevin, but you still stink as a father and as a human being in general.”

I could hear my father’s reply. “I’m aware.”

Luther grinned at that. “Fair enough. So we’re all clear. Get young Martin back to your neck of the wood and off my lawn. Agreed?”

A murmur of voices sounded off to his approval.

"Then two, no three, last things." he looked off to a corner of the room. "Donovan, you got a raw deal and you can't stay up here anymore. But I will see you in Hell and help you settle in. I may even have a job for you.”

He turned to my aunt. “I think the two of us should talk about what Aster said. I’m sure you can figure out how to get in touch.”

He glanced around the room. “Lastly, sorry about the mess.”

Then the body he wore seemed to empty out before it crumpled into a pile of ash, clothes and all.

There was a moment of silence as everyone decided to take a moment to process the events of the last few minutes, but I needed them to focus on what was important. Me.

"Well, that was certainly an exit, but I for one would really like to hear more about the getting me home part. Ideas anyone?"

My aunt stepped into view wiggling a carved tablet in her hand. “I had that mostly figured out this morning, and Cassy brought me a scan of the half of your spell on the part of the store in hell. Since your grandfather and my brother are going to help out with the spell to bring you back, since they are going to want to look like they're contributing. I should be able to bring you back up on the first try. At least as long as neither of them are suicidal enough to try to sabotage things and then try to blame the other or something even more idiotic. Like trying to blame me.”

She looked back and forth, presumingly at the two in question. “Right?”

Neither said a word.

“Yeah, glad it never crossed your minds.”

She looked back at me and reached up to grab the top of the mirror. “Sorry to cut you off Marty, but this thing would interfere with the process."

Then I got a glimpse of the rapidly approaching floor before the mirror shattered into dozens of pieces that faded away in mid-air as the spell on the store reset the mirror to its rightful place in the restroom downstairs.

I looked over to Sally. “I guess now we just wait.”

She nodded. “...want to go shoot some zombies?”

I got up to join her on the couch in front of the television. “Dibs on the good controller.”

0