Chapter 9: Requiem for the Hell Bane—The Tales of Dead Men. Part 6
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 6

 

 

Evening.

A blizzard.

Everything was chaotic outside.

Freezing temperatures.

High winds.

Poor visibility.

Through all that, a vehicle was driving down a road.

The snowy road did little to ease his nerves.

Anatoli Azarov, or the man known as Anatoli Azarov.

Right now, he sat in a three-row van in the middle row.

One to his left.

One to his right.

Three in the row behind him.

One in the driver's seat.

One in the front passenger seat.

All bundled up in puffy white coats, heavy white boots, and white fur hats, to blend in with their environment.

Everything was quiet in the car.

No music.

Not chatter in the vehicle.

Nothing, just the sound of snow hitting the van and the windshield wipers that were squeaking across the window, made the situation even more unnerving.

He lowered his eyes, staring at a picture in the open silver pocket watch locket.

Katya Lukina.

The love of his life.

He tried to put his mind somewhere else, but as he got closer to the drop-off, the locket did little to help him.

Dread.

It was a feeling that he could not shake.

That feeling was only exacerbated as the vehicle came to a stop.

After a few seconds, the men began to shuffle around in the car, grabbing all their equipment.

Binoculars, duffle bags, knives, and several PPS submachine guns.

A simple job.

This was all that it was supposed to be.

That was what he mentally told himself as he put the locket into his left pants pocket.

The person to his right opened the door, letting the cold air enter the vehicle, before stepping out.

Anatoli fully zipped up the collar to his coat; it was his turn to step out.

White everywhere.

Blistering winds that hit his face caused him to pinch the fur collar around his neck more tightly.

The driver stepped out of the car.

Closing the door, he began walking to the group, causing them to huddle together.

Through the rough winds, the man spoke.

Pavel Zotov.

Codename Zero-Three

The leader of this mission.

“If our intelligence is correct, Squad two is following the marked car; with the markings and signs on the main road, the car should detour down this path and then for us to intercept.”

“Until then, everyone should get into their positions and wait for the call to strike. We’re only going to get one chance at this, and it has to be done right.”

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

There was a soft crunching sound as Anatoli firmly stabbed a knife with a blue marking on the handle into the middle of the snow-covered road.

Now in a straight line across, a few feet apart, firmly planted in the road rested three blue markings.

With an exhale, Anatoli stood up.

“Alright, the knives are set,” Anatoli said in an exhausted tone.

Pavel stared at Anatoli before nodding.

[Squad two to squad one, squad two to squad one, come in]

Pavel grabbed the black radio from his right coat pocket and brought it close to his face.

“This is squad on leader; go.”

[You are at the rendezvous point.]

“That is an affirmative.”

[Copy, the vehicle has now crossed into the detour route. ETA to your location: five to ten minutes]

“And is the target in the vehicle?”

[Yes, there have been no changes since we followed him from the airport.]

“Copy, alright, squad two, look alive and get into your positions.”

It was finally happening.

An anxious feeling washed over him.

The feeling of uncertainty.

Dread.

Pavel put the radio back in his pocket.

“We’ll need to move too.”

“R-right”

The words mumbled out of his mouth as he began walking after Pavel.

"Someone special?"

“….sir.” Anatoli answered confused.

“The necklace I saw you looking at earlier.”

Now understating his question, Anatoli spoke.

"Yes"

Pavel nodded his head.

“That’s good”

Anatoli, walking, turned his head towards Pavel.

“With the way you were talking back there…have you…. done this before?” Anatoli asked.

Pavel's eyes glanced at him before turning back.

“Yes.”

It was an answer that caught Anatoli off guard.

So nonchalant and direct.

“I can tell you are nervous, and to be honest, I guess I am in the same boat; this is the first time so many of us have been recruited for a single target, but that also means that something is brewing.”

That statement caused Anatoli to stop walking.

Pavel turned back to face him.

"Whatever reason you have, let that be the reason you return home alive."

0