Chapter 5
40 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

NEXT DOOR: It hasn’t even been a full twenty-four hours yet. Mom’s already annoying. Quick send me pictures of Deng Pao.

CHARLIE:      <picture>

NEXT DOOR: What is that? Your slipper? Oooops. Bad dog.

Charlie truly didn’t care. It was rather satisfying snuggling up to that warm doggy body in the bed during the night, waking up to that goofy face and a half-eaten slipper. He reached up to touch his face. The ear-to-ear grin was a foreign sensation.

NEXT DOOR: I hate the fasting part. Why is it I can think about anything but food while working? But Ramadan with my mother means all I think about is cheeseburgers and nachos.

CHARLIE: ?

NEXT DOOR: I don’t practice, but when I celebrate Ramadan with her, I fast and it sucks. I’m starving. I need some food porn. Send me a picture of what you are having for lunch.

CHARLIE: <picture>

NEXT DOOR: Isn’t that chilaquiles?

CHARLIE: You’ve heard of chilaquiles?

NEXT DOOR: Of course. Bet you make your ranchero sauce from scratch.

CHARLIE: Yes

NEXT DOOR: <begging.jpg> Please make that for me.

Is there a comfortable way of answering this?

Charlie wasn’t sure how to proceed. Ki would never leave him alone if he didn’t follow through on a promise of home cooked food. Once he invited him in for a meal, it was over.

Who could reject the neighbor that could charm the feathers off a chicken?

For the next five minutes, Charlie typed yes….deleted it…..typed no…..deleted it.

Dithering.

CHARLIE: Okay

NEXT DOOR: Acknowledged and recorded. Mom’s calling. Gotta go.

For the rest of the day, Charlie pushed himself to finish the spring chores while Lightbulb danced around his legs. Truthfully, he just wanted to play fetch with the dog and ponder what the neighbor was up to.

Sliding into the old leather booth, Ki smiled at the couple sitting across the scarred wooden table. A frothy beer standing tall waited for him to sink into. He felt a twinge of envy as he noticed their ten fingers entwined.

“Four years and two kids and you still hold hands like you did in college.” Ki’s voice dripped with bitterness.

“Stop sulking and find yourself a proper boyfriend.” The woman stuck her tongue out at Ki.

“What? Are you flirting with me in front of your husband?” Ki sipped his beer and frowned.

Avery was right…..he was sulking.

“Suck it up, buttercup. Stop picking on my wife.” The other man held up their clasped hands and kissed the back of hers. “It hasn’t even been ten minutes and we can both tell you are broody and unpleasant. This is not the Erkin Roberts we both know and love.”

“Ha ha.” Ki wondered if he was lame enough to cry in his beer.

“Well, bless my soul,” Avery drawled in a lilting southern accent. “Eric, honey, our sweet Ki is lovesick.”

“What?”

Both Eric and Ki looked perplexed.

“What makes you think I’m lovesick?” Ki couldn’t help but use his camera phone, checking his face for any kind of sick.

“Other people’s displays of public affection annoy you.” The woman accused.

“I’ve watched you two hold hands for four straight years. Can’t I be a little annoyed?”

With an evil grin, Avery answered. “It never bothered you before.”

His internal defense attorney awakened. “That couldn’t even count as circumstantial evidence.”

“You’re defensive when quizzed on the subject of lovesickness.” Avery didn’t give up.

“I am not!” His response was heated and highly emotional.

“Damn. She’s right, son. You’re lovesick.” Eric’s voice held surprise.

Frowning at the other man, Ki’s chin raised. “I don’t even think I know the symptoms of such a disease.”

Avery snorted and sipped her tonic water. “Who is he?”

“What do you mean?” Ki’s words were almost a whisper.

“Lovesickness. You are confused, cranky, probably because your love life is out of control. As a certified control freak, that makes the Ki we know and love unhappy, ergo, you mope.”

“What kind of ridiculous twaddle is that? If you used logic like that in the courtroom, you’d be drummed out of the DA’s office. Didn’t we go to the same prestigious law school?”

“Avoidance and misdirection. Another sign of lovesickness.” A long ebony fingertip glossed with eye-popping neon blue nail polish pushed against his forehead.

“She’s right, son.” Eric flashed him a toothy grin. “Now stop fighting with my dear wife and tell us who the lucky guy is and why haven’t you brought him around to meet your most respectable friends?”

“Respectable?”

“Stop evading and spill, attorney Roberts. We want to know about the man in your life.” Avery poked his head again.

“Aiya. Stop your poking.” Ki shooed away her hand. “There IS a guy, but I can barely get him to respond to my texts, let alone get him on a date or bring him across state lines to meet the likes of you two.”

“Ahhhhhh. Baby’s heart is hurting.” Avery’s voice softened.

“Why would my heart hurt? I haven’t even suited up for the game, let alone make it to first base.”

“You see sugar. Because things aren’t moving at your pace, you feel some serious rejection?”

Ki pondered that. “You’re saying that I feel rejection because of Charlie?”

“His name is Charlie?” Eric popped a pretzel into his mouth and had a sip of beer.

A small smile crossed Ki’s face.

“Did you see that?” Avery massaged the back of Eric’s head, her long fingers playing peak-a-boo in the golden tresses.

“It was like a light.” Eric answered and twisted his neck to give his wife more access to his scalp.

“All it took was the word Charlie, and he practically glowed.” Avery smirked. “He’s got it bad.” She moved her fingers a little higher.

“Can you two speak English?” Ki growled. “And can you tone down the PDA? Us single dogs don’t appreciate being constantly reminded of our unfortunate status.”

“Hon. You light up when you think of your Charlie.” Avery’s shiny blue fingertip came out again, and Ki dodged.

“He’s not my Charlie.” Ki thought of the man with dark, thoughtful eyes. “Not for lack of trying.” He grumbled.

“He’s your Charlie because you care about him already.”

Ki didn’t even bother to deny that much. After all, he’d spent the better part of a week just trying to get Charlie to talk with him…….live and in person. Just when he thought it wasn’t worth his time, he thought of Charlie’s hesitant smile looking at the sloppy dog, his quiet kindness, his shy demeanor…..he was just…..so adorable. Everything about Charlie made him itchy, like a kitten was scratching at his heart.

“Oh, he’s gone. All we did was say the word ‘Charlie’ and he retreats to some inner monologue, probably saying Charlie this and Charlie that and he’s so sweet and I just can’t wait to see Charlie again.” Laughter cascaded out of Avery.

“Cut him some slack. I’m pretty sure I was this bad when we met.” Eric kissed her smooth cheek.

“But of course, darlin’.”

“So have you mentioned Charlie to your mother?” Eric’s eyes were full of concern.

The small smile on Ki’s face faded and replaced with a dark scowl.

“Well, that’s a no.” Eric deadpanned.

“Some point soon, my mother will need to choose between having a loving son in her life or knowing she’s shed herself of all things evil. No matter how many blind dates she tries to set up for me, it won’t change who I am, nor be lockstep with her moral code.”

“Come now, darlin’. You aren’t evil.”

“Tell that to my mother. With the way she behaves, sometimes I feel like the devil incarnate.”

3