Chapter 8
32 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Back and forth, Ki appeared to travel between heaven and hell several times with Charlie. Two days of Charlie’s company, Charlie’s cooking, and Charlie’s companionship. It was so heavenly that Ki couldn’t help but blurt out over a bowl of steel-cut oats topped with brown sugar and blueberries on the second morning.

“I like you.”

This was no ordinary “I like you.” It was fraught with emotion, said with gleaming eyes and sultry voice. Probably the most serendipitous romantic moment he’d ever created.

Then all hell broke loose when Charlie dropped his spoon filled with sugary oats to the floor with a loud clang. The ever ready Deng Pao rushed over and lapped up the sweet warmth at the same time Charlie clutched his throat making the universal choking signal.

“What? Don’t tell me you aren’t the least attracted to me.” A thin sheen of sweat crossed his brow. “Not even a little? Have you seen my six-pack?” He raised his shirt to show off the well-earned washboard.

“I-I-I-I.” Subconsciously, Charlie reached out a hand while he struggled to get words, any words, out of his mouth.

Pushing away from the table, Ki paced around the small living and kitchen area. “I didn’t even think about the attraction part. Am I too tall, too handsome, too Asian, what?”

“I-I-I-I-I.” Charlie blinked as he stuttered.

“Maybe I’m not your type.” Ki mussed the hair on his head. “Do you prefer the silent type? Maybe you prefer those more intellectually challenged. Are you looking for a dumb blond?”

With great force, Charlie croaked. “You’re the most handsome, most intelligent, and most compelling man I’ve ever met.”

The voice was harsh, but the words were sincere and music to Ki’s ears. By the time Charlie finished his sentence, Ki had pulled him into his arms like a boa constrictor with a hapless goat.

“I can’t breathe.” Charlie squeaked.

Cupping his face, Ki kissed Charlie’s forehead. “Does this mean you like me too?”

Dark eyes were a little watery, filled with fear and something else, staring at Ki peering into his soul looking for traces of sincerity. Charlie made an almost imperceptible nod.

“Yeah, yeah.” Ki embraced him again, but this time with less force. “You have plenty to be wary of in the land of relationships. Between your family and your last boyfriend, you’ve been trained to not trust any type of loving relationship. Despite our sharing a child, you have trouble putting any kind of trust in the likes of me. I’m insulted.”

Ki felt Charlie’s nod at the same time Deng Pao stood near the two and whined.

“Deng Pao, you really are a lightbulb.” He let go of Charlie and grabbed a leash. “I’ll take him out to do his business. It’ll give you a minute or two to adjust.”

“Adjust to what?”

“The idea of you being my boyfriend. You like me and I like you. We are attracted to each other. By definition, this means we are boyfriends.” With a click of the leash, man and dog left the house.

“Boyfriends?” Charlie plopped into the chair.

The word swirled around his brain like a buzzing bee, stinging his nerve endings and leaving flutters in his stomach, some pleasant, some not so much.

Was it possible?

A real live human choosing to be with him and only him.

Did Ki believe in monogamy? There’s no way this would work if he didn’t. There was no way he was interested in an open relationship.

Wait!

He’s already defining the relationship before he’s even committed to it. Oh! He’s got it bad.

Ki was beautiful inside and out. And yes, his hormones were dancing a jig on his nerve endings just looking at those heavenly abs.

Hope began to bubble and pop inside of Charlie like a big pot of simmering mole releasing a spicy scent of love. Charlie’s lips curved up and his heart felt submerged in warm water.

Boyfriends.

He could live with that. It meant time spent together, someone to care if he was doing well. The very idea of another human in his life, day in and day out. The emotions, the commitment, the intimacy, it was………too much to even contemplate for a Thursday morning.

Boyfriends.

Charlie’s heart froze with an ignoble cocktail of fear and incredulity. But what if……

What if Ki’s mother didn’t approve?

What if it damaged Ki’s career?

What if he disappointed Ki like he disappointed his family, his ex?

What if Ki’s dissatisfaction led to revulsion?

What if Ki eventually had no feelings for him in the future?

Removing the colorful leash, Ki noticed Charlie at the table with his head in his hands.

“Considering we just started a relationship less than ten minutes ago; you seem rather sad about it.” Ki drawled from the front door.

Worry-filled eyes raised up and watched Ki squat before him.

“Did it take you less time to talk yourself out of this than it does for me to pick a tie? Do I mean so little to you?”

Charlie could hear the annoyance.

Shaking his head, he took a deep breath. “I’m unsure.”

“Of me? Of us? Of the future? Of logistics?” Ki stood up and pulled Charlie with him. “Be a little specific here.”

“You know my past. I have a lot to fear.” Charlie accused.

“Will you let fear stop you from something that could change your life forever? Something so beautiful that angels weep for it. So memorable that endless amounts of people over the centuries write over and over about it. So colorful that museums are filled to the brim with art inspired by it.”

Licking his lips, Charlie contemplated the man before him. Fire burned eyes the color of midnight.

How could something so dark give off so much heat?

“I fear the pain.”

Dropping his hands in frustration, Ki stomped towards the back window.

“Screw the pain, Charlie. People plus affection equal pain over and over. There is no escaping that. Hell, if I wanted to avoid pain, I’d have cut ties with my mother long ago. Sometimes there is no avoiding the ache of relationships if we want to be a part of humanity.”

A flood of irritation rose within Charlie. “What’s wrong with setting up healthy boundaries? The world would be a much better place if we took our time before making messy commitments that could lead to heartbreak. Good grief, Ki, I met you less than a month ago and now you are my boyfriend.” His heart raced at the word. “Can you be a little patient if I’m not ready to fill out a bridal registry yet?”

Ki snorted and returned Charlie to the anaconda squeeze. “I’m sorry. You’re right. I’m rushing things.” Resting his head on Charlie’s shoulder, he let out a sigh. “I’m asking you to be my boyfriend. We’ll talk about marriage some other day.”

“Stop!” Of their own volition, Charlie’s own arms settled around Ki’s waist.

“I won’t push it. But Charlie?” He could smell his lemon-lime body wash on Charlie’s neck.

“Hmm.” His eyes were closed, enjoying the warmth generated by the other man.

“I would like to point out that you had no problems standing up to me when I irritated you. At least you don’t fear me as a person.” There was a smidgeon of hope in his voice.

Leaning back in the embrace, Charlie kissed Ki’s chin. “No. I don’t fear you. Can we take this a little slower?”

“Can I still call you boyfriend?”

“Mmm.” Charlie nodded, a little shyly.

“Can I introduce you to my friends as my boyfriend? How about my mother?”

Charlie stiffened. “I have to meet your mother?” His voice raised.

“Too soon?”

Pushing the bigger man away, Charlie grunted and carried dishes to the sink.

“Ahhhh, Angel, I’m sorry.” Ki followed him to the sink and began rinsing and loading.

Charlie froze at the nickname. It was….a bit……fun….and thrilling. No one had ever called him Angel before.

He rather liked it.

3