Chapter 1 – A Bad Day
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I finished writing my daily diary, I had nothing much left to do except the fight that occurred last night means that I would have to take care of the food today. And with a faint grumble from my mouth, I closed my diary.

As I looked towards the door of my father's room, I was reminded of another daily task my mom used to do. Taking care of my father's washroom because of his bad habit of not drowning the pee, or poo. Granted the flush doesn't work but still, he should take some responsibility. Though I guess his back is not really in any condition to be doing some weight lifting as you have to use a bucket after his spine had some medical issues.

With an irritated mind, as all of the things that I would be doing after this is not part of my responsibility at all, I got up and went to gather all the trash bags.

Gathering them all together, I went out of the house with the 17 small bags of trash when my mother peeked from the window, up above.
"John, think for yourself. Get a big bag and dump all of them, small ones, inside that!!"

I facepalmed. What in world is Mom Doing, shouting like that? What if the neighbours hear it? We are just polluting the community anyways. I sighed. What else can I do? If I say anything to her, she would only see that I am explaining this to her, and the thing that she hates the most in her life is when someone explains to her, anything, in which she ought to, either change her ways or show a little tact. It just goes right over her head. And worst introduces a couple of black chilli fries in her brain, which she smokes for the rest of the day. You just know you will get a piece of that burned chilli fries, once again, given without any tact, as it can be the middle of the busiest street but she will shout as if it's the attic of our own house.

As I was returning inside to get the bag, I heard another nuisance.

This day just keeps on getting worse and worse and it hardly has started even. And oh there she was, sitting in front of the front gate, purring and licking her feet, waiting to follow me inside. The last thing I wanted was for my father and mother to get into an argument as they went through quite a hot one, together, one-sided, but together just last night. With a small brush of my grey slippers, I tried to keep the cat out with my feet, and with one hand, opened the door, went inside, and closed it, all at breakneck speed. With a smirk, I felt accomplished. Quite accomplished.

As I entered inside, I saw the clock and my smirk got slightly doused, only to be removed and replaced with annoyance. I forgot to wake up Dad. God Damn It. The last thing I wanted at this moment was to listen to his blabbering about the fight and all that. I hardly got enough sleep to go through all these antsy tasks, especially as the first ones to do in the morning.
Tiptoeing and entered the room, only for my scowl to deepen while inside, only to be slightly startled by the mess the perfumes, creams and cosmetics were in. Oh, those damn pantheon gods. Trying to calm down, I started to do something, which felt quite odd to do, to say the least.

"Dad," I called once. "Dad" I called twice.

Did he sleep late once again because of the stress? He usually wakes up by himself which is usually quite a weight taken off from whosoever is tasked with this that day. Well, there was a small fight last night... With a slight movement of my wrists, I gently put my palm on his thighs, and gently shook it.

"Dad, wake up, it's time." He groggily opened his eyes and stretched simultaneously or maybe a second late. With some clop noises from his mouth and a "What's the time?" question, to which I replied a "6.10" briefly.

His eyes slightly drooped down. "You all just make my life stressful, is it that fun for her? She Could have woken me up for the morning prayers."

I slightly drooped my eyes down to hide them and internally rolled them. Yeah right, after last night, I don't think that should be the first thing you should think of.

He got up from bed while I organized the perfume he used yesterday morning, before going to the office. It's usually Mom's job, to do these things right after my Dad leaves the house but the flames were burning rigorously since 3 days ago in her. The last thing she will do is reorganise his items. Especially more so after last night.

"When did you wake up? Prayed yet?" "Yeah, already did that?" "I asked when you woke up?"

His facial expression slightly drooped down with a mixture of twitch and a slight scowl. Seriously, this is harder than taking care of animals.

"5.30" "You could have woken me up for the prayers as well." "The water's already boilin' at the stove. The water cooler also has some hot water you can use as well."

I was slightly amazed that my voice sounded neutral. Way to go, me! Quite a tenacious kid I am for keeping it in.

"When will you leave for college? Do you have cash for the transport?" he asked, walking into his slippers.

"8.30, I have enough for today," I replied, finally done organizing everything cleanly before he said anything about me doing useless things like organizing when I should be getting ready for college.

"Should we eat bread for breakfast?"

"The omelettes will be ready and there is some leftover roti from yesterday night, I will make some for myself and eat it as well before going."

"What about her?"

What about her? I eyed him, exhausted and exasperated by what he meant by that. The last thing she wants is your care and if she knows, it's just going to be another chilli fries eventful day start.

"I will just cook up some tea and roti for her as well. Quswa will also arrive by 8.30, I will just leave then."

"Isn't your college starting at 8.30?"

"I have some extra work to do at 8.30, the classes will start at 9.30"

I know lying is not the most meticulous plan to enact in any relationship, but seriously, if I say the truth, he will just worry about my classes needlessly. Moreover, my sister, Quswa, hardly even knows anything that occurred last night. I didnt explain it to her because I just thought it would needlessly worry her, or even more probably, annoy her because of how many times this excruciatingly, painful, and the dumb situation has gotten reenacted.

He walked and turned on the lights as I was reminded I forgot the drown the leftovers in the toilet yesterday. He went to the washroom, locked the doors and I just exited the door. Isn't that quite nice, I didnt get a reprimand.

0