Eden 01-02
62 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Intro; 60 years ago...

 

The cargo ship Togo glided through the waves of the ocean on its way to America with new drilling equipment in its hold and within the cargo containers on the deck. The storm's rain came down hard and the wind causing the ship to be battered by some of the stronger waves.

Sea Captain Giles sat in his chair trying to ignore the seasickness in his belly. Long voyages had never bothered him before, but when the sea got rough he never felt well until the storm passed. His crew worked around him busy with keeping the ship on course.

 

“Captain, will this storm throw us off course. ” Jonathan Knight asked and Captain Giles put on a smile.

 

“Not at all, mister Knight. We are coming into the Devil's Triangle now. You might know it as the Bermuda Triangle. ” Captain Giles answered back reassuring the man who hired him that everything was okay. The man's mining equipment was stored securely below and on deck.

 

“I always heard rumors of ships and airplanes being lost out here. I'm concern about my device being washed over. I'm sorry it was too big to fit into a cargo container. ” Jonathan Knight said next raising his voice as the wind seemed to howl louder.

 

Captain Giles looked down at the front of his ship. The strange machine looked like some type of giant gyroscope version of a toy he had seen kids play with.

 

“Don't be listening to old wives tales about this area. I have sailed through here dozens of times and always made it through. ” Captain Giles said and nearly everyone was blinded when a bolt of lightning struck down hitting the bow of the ship and Jonathan's device.

 

The brightness of the bolt dimmed but didn't disappear as it should have. The captain and mister Knight looked at the machine below. They watched as the machine began to spin. The air before the ship itself seemed to split open if a crack in the sky had been opened. Clear skies and a massive landmass appeared before them. Jonathan thought it looked like a doorway to somewhere else, but then he noticed the ship was being pulled through by the waves.

 

“Reverse course! ” Captain Giles screamed as he ordered his crew.

The storm pushed the cargo ship Togo through the opened doorway then closed behind them.

 

Chapter 01: present day

 

Captain Milo Jones of the New Alliance Army ordered his men back when the tween girl with the bomb vest had been discovered in the building. The girl was young and scared that her parents had abandoned her there. Chained to a pipe she was unable to leave the area and the room was full of explosives. To make matters worse the bomb vest was on a timer and a series of booby traps rigged to go off if she was moved.

 

His bomb tech, Charles Smitty was working on disabling all booby traps and trying his very best to save the girl's life. The young girl remained silent with terror and only shook her head or nodded when Smitty had asked her questions.

 

“You think with the end of world hunger and low priced bio-fuel. We would be past stuff like this. ” Smitty commented as he got through another layer of wires. Looking at his Captain briefly.

 

“These zealots' beliefs are pretty far out there. Command wants this room and its contents secured. They seem pretty sure that they can trace some of this back to the source. ” Captain Jones said already knowing his man knew the orders.

 

“And your orders, sir? ” Smitty said smiling now they could remove the vest without the bomb being triggered.

 

“Screw securing this room and save the girl, first. ” Captain Jones said and already made sure the only open window in the room was clear of people.

 

“Yes, sir. Shame this Knight-ware that we are wearing isn't bombproof. ” Smitty said unlatching the vest with sweaty fingers.

 

“Hey, this clothing stops most bullets. Better then the old body armor they used before world hunger ended. ” Captain Jones replied back and listened as Smitty instructed for the girl to lay down the moment the vest was off of her.

 

The conversation they had was to let the girl know they were risking their own lives to save her.

 

Captain Jones watched as Smitty undid the vest and started to get up. A fishing line previously hidden pulled something on the vest.

A rapid beeping noise filled the room. Smitty had missed one final booby trap. Captain Jones yanked the vest from Smitty's hands pushing him down on top of the girl to be her personal shield. Jumping to his feet from his kneeling position. He turned quickly and tossed the vest out of the narrow window.

 

His aim was good and it was nearly clear of the window when it went off.

There was a flash of orange and intense heat as his right hand came apart before his eyes as they closed shut. It was the last thing Captain Jones saw as he was blown backward into a series of pipes denting them as his body struck them. Captain Jones surrendered to the darkness that came moments later.

Captain Jones awoke as a feeling of flying came to his senses. The only thing that was off was the ringing in his ears. He felt hands working on him. He opened his eyes and knew the medics were patching him up.

 

“Captain!, Can you hear me!?” One army medic asked in a loud voice. Then the pain hit him. The pain of being burned, cut, and bruised all at once.

 

Fighting back the pain Captain Jones nodded and try to raise his right hand to give a thumbs up, but felt the straps holding his arms down.

 

Looking past the medic he realized they were airborne in a troop carrier much like the Heavy-Troop Carrier from that old Halo game. He vaguely recalled they were also known as Pelicans, but not exactly the same in design.

 

The cockpit had more of an open view with bullet shielded glass and they could store more useful items.

 

“Your stable and we are flying you out.” the army medic said and Jones read his lips more than heard him. Once more, he nodded and looked down at his right hand. It was gone and bloody bandages covering a stump was in its place.

 

As the two army medics moved away from him he saw his men. There was Smitty with the tween girl sitting next to him. She was clinging to his arm if she was scared he would leave her behind.

 

Smitty said something to her. She let go of his arm and Smitty knelt down next to him making sure to get close to his ear to be heard.

 

“Look at the bright side, Captain. You get to learn to jerk off with the other hand now. ” Smitty said and patted him very gently on the left shoulder.

 

Captain Jones chuckled at that and felt a bit light-headed. The drugs the medics had just given him were kicking in and released him to a world of painless darkness.

 

Captain Jones awoke in what had to be a hospital. Instantly, he knew some time had to pass, but days or weeks by his best guess.

 

The beeping of a machine pounded against his headache and made him open his eyes slowly.

Hopeful to see a pretty nurse. He was confused by the sight of a large man sitting at the end of his bed in a chair turned backward. Given the man's suit and build there was little doubt he was a bodyguard or a very well dress MP.

 

“He is waking up.” the large man spoke in a deep voice and looked to his right.

 

Captain Jones rolled his head over to see an average looking man a few inches shorter than himself with a smart tablet in his hands. Captain Jones didn't know the man personally, but his face was so familiar to him.

 

“Welcome back to the land of the living, Captain Milo Jones. ” The man said.

“I know you. ” Captain Jones said and felt the dryness of his mouth. The man before him looked mid-thirties around the same age as the bodyguard.

 

A pretty nurse did appear a few seconds later and she pushed herself past the bodyguard with a cup of water.

 

“Here, drink this. ” The nurse said and carefully let him sip from the cup.

 

Captain Jones took a moment to look around the room. It was a large space with beds in orderly rows and he was pretty sure it wasn't a military hospital on any base he ever knew. He barely noticed the IV bags and equipment hooked up to his body.

 

It wasn't until he heard the faint waves of the ocean did he realized he was on a ship at sea. Now, he focused on it. He could feel the deep humming sound of a large boat engine somewhere far away.

 

“I'm on a ship? ” Captain Jones asked looking from the nurse to the man who's face he couldn't place just yet.

 

“Your aboard the Aranui 5, Which is an old custom built dual-purpose passenger and freighter ship. My own personal ship, that I use to transport my guests and goods. The medical staff put you into a drug-induced coma for a while. ” The man said and waved his hand about.

 

“Your Edward Knight. ” Captain Jones said now recalling the face. The man featured himself in most of the commercials and even literally stood behind his bulletproof clothing while a company employee shot him.

 

“I do have that honor. Son of Scott Knight. The man who ended world hunger and made bio-fuel cheap for everyone to use. After my father's death, I inherited his vast wealth and the fame attached to the name. ” Edward Knight said and didn't look happy at the word fame when he spoke it.

 

“I have seen all the commercials. Knight-ware, protecting those we care about. ” Captain Jones said reciting the company motto. Jones recalling the man's face as he showed off just how strong his company's lightweight protective clothing was.

 

“Yes, some of my employees do take great pleasure in shooting me in those commercials. Thankfully, my family's company makes very good armored based clothing. ” Edward Knight said with a smile on his face.

 

“So, did I win some would-be lawsuit lottery, and your here to pay me off before I can get a lawyer? I'm pretty sure your protective clothing doesn't safeguard against bombs. ” Captain Jones asked figuring the man was here to avoid some bad public relations with his company.

 

“I think, we both know that explosives were beyond Knight-ware clothing means to protect you. I have come here to offer you a job. Truthfully, I was already on my way to meet you before you lost your right hand. It's my understanding you were looking to get out and get away from the strict military life. My contacts tell me you have an interest in private security work. It does pay more. My bodyguard, Brutus was a former warrior like yourself. ” Edward Knight explained and waved a hand back at Brutus who showed no emotion at all.

 

“Not sure, I'm much use as a mercenary. Did you want me as a security guard or something? You got a baseball card collection that needs looking after?” Captain Jones asked thinking he was a pity case now.

 

“Your natural leader, Jones. You have worked with the best and you look out for those under your command. Uncle Sam is already planning on giving you an honorable discharge and your name was put in for yet another medal. I know this because I have deep connections in the chain of command. I'm putting together a community and I need people who are used to dangerous work. I will even make sure you get your right hand back again. This tablet has a contract agreement. Take some time to read it. You will have the chance to pick your own job once we arrive. ” Edward Knight said ignoring Jones's sarcasm and laying the tablet down on Jones's lap.

 

Edward Knight left without another word. The bodyguard following him like an oversize shadow. Barely a few minutes passed when Smitty arrived with the girl they saved

 

“My man, You're finally awake. The docs said they had to induce a drug coma. If anyone asks we are brothers. ” Smitty said as he came in. Jones smiled at that considering Smitty's unknown birth parents were from south of the United States border. Jones himself was much paler in skin color. Like himself they were both orphans.

 

“Smitty, what the hell are you doing here? ” Jones asked seeing the man out of uniform and far away from any army base.

 

“That Knight guy recruited me. Sasha's parents were K.I.A during our raid and I wasn't about to give her over to some third world orphanage. I nearly got myself a court-martial, but that Knight guy showed up and made me an offer. Shortly after my thumbprint was scanned in. The top brass changed their tune pretty fast. He has got some serious pull and it doesn't hurt he makes most of the stuff that we use in the field. He must be worth a trillion by now. ” Smitty explained and Sasha seems happy to play with a tablet exactly like the one in Jones's lap.

 

“Any of the other guys here? ” Jones asked referring to the other men that had been under his command.

 

“Sorry, man. That Knight guy only wanted us. They flew you straight here for medical treatment. I have read over the contract on the tablet. Basic stuff like one year of service and Non-disclosure agreement. There is even a part in there if you sign up, the tablet is yours to keep. ” Smitty answered and waved a hand at Sasha who was playing some type of game on Smitty's tablet.

 

“She has really taken to you. ” Jones said seeing that the girl stayed close to Smitty's side.

 

“Yeah, Imagine me as a single dad. Speaking of which, I better get Sasha something to eat. This old tug has got everything. Nice rooms, a pool on the back deck, and a large dining area. ” Smitty said and his face had the expression something had changed in the man's way of thinking.

 

“Go on. Looking at your ugly face is making my headache worse. ” Jones joked and they exchanged a manly fist bump using his left hand.

 

Jones had to sit up to browse over the contract on the tablet. He found nothing sinister in there, but noted it didn't say what kind of job they wanted him for. According to the wording, he would have many choices. He figured it was a black site operation of some sort. Briefly, he wondered if his new right hand would be some cloned version taken from his own DNA or he get some type of a cybernetic robot limb.

 

Edward Knight struck him as a man who didn't play by everybody's rules. Yet, Jones felt there was a sense of honor about the man. Odd to think the man should have appeared older, but Jones put it down to makeup or a little nip and tuck work. Rich people like Mr. Knight could afford such things.

 

Jones played around on the tablet long after he signed the contract using his left thumbprint. The tablet was already keyed to his body's biometric data. Instantly, he was able to log into his own private messages and found that Edward Knight was telling the truth. There were copies of messages from command that Captain Jones was to be honorably discharged due to injuries resulting in lost of a limb. A new message popped up to update his military status to 'Retired to a special project in the private sector. '

 

Milo Jones thought about contacting his foster parents, but they had a falling out that had lasted for years now ever since he joined the new army. Most of the world conflicts had ended since food crops could be grown in three months' time. All thanks mostly to being genetically altered. Bio-fuel pretty much ended the major need for crude oil and the world changed in less than a year.

 

Jones thought about all the old news stories about how people scrambled to get every useful plant modified before the newer crops choked them out completely. For a short while, the rodent population exploded which caused a huge increase for jobs. Dogs and cats were more common now because of their value to maintain pest control measures.

 

More then a few people panic for a while claiming that mother nature would take her revenge, but over time nature balanced itself out. Jones recalled the happy Summers he worked as a teenager for extra credits shooting rats or squirrels out of fruit trees with a company-issued air rifle. Perhaps that was the start of his career as a soldier.

 

Jones barely had a few hours to himself before a nurse or his doctor came to check on him. Before he considered what time it was. Mr. Edward Knight returned holding a briefcase.

Jones's doctor followed behind the man. The bodyguard was left by the door making sure no one else came into the room.

 

“Milo Jones, I promised you that you would get your right hand back and I always keep my word. ” Edward Knight said and opened the briefcase. Jones was expecting to see a robotic looking hand in the case. He was confused to see a syringe with a cooling unit built into the case.

 

“This is the result of a project called Phoenix. As you know my father's company perfected rapid plant growth in every fruit, vegetable, and medical-based plant. After they succeeded. My family had our best employees focus their attention on doing something similar with people, but giving us the power to heal at a more rapid pace. This will alter your DNA slightly and start the accelerated healing process. It's going to hurt a bit at first and itch like hell as your stump regrows. By the end of this week, your hand will grow back fully. Old scars will fade away and even your aging process will be slowed down by half. This regeneration treatment is a requirement for where we are going. ” Edward Knight explained and Jones listened in silence.

 

He got the strong impression that mister Knight didn't share this project's information with the U.S. or any government. Looking at the man Jones saw Mr. Knight should be older looking if he recalled the man's true age correctly.

 

Milo Jones nodded his head and raised his stump ignoring the pain that rose up. The drugs that had him on had dulled the worse of it, but he could swear that he felt his hand and it tingled with pain.

 

The doctor went to work and injected him with the regeneration treatment. Milo thought his body caught on fire for a full minute as the pain rose up then he relaxed as it passed. They left him to rubbing his upper arm from time to time just before he fell into a deep sleep.

The next morning Milo Jones felt like a new man. The stump of his right arm had healed over completely. The minor wounds to his face and chest were gone.

 

He was even strong enough to get out of bed and use the bathroom next to his bed area. The nurses and doctors were not surprised to see him moving about.

 

“If you're up to it, I can show you to your room or you can stay here a while longer. ” The nurse said and came in with a small bin with his personal items. One new item was a next-generation smartwatch with a room card key attached to it. Yet, Another gift so he guessed.

The nurse helped him slip on the watch and he saw it had a map with the ship's layout. It functioned for a wide variety of useful devices thanks to its many apps. Including a messaging system, cell phone, and personal debit card app. Jones would be very thankful for the voice commands.

 

His room wasn't far and upon entering using his room key he found his old army bag waiting for him on the bed. It was a pretty good room. It had enough space for a small family to stay in and plenty of extra room to lay down sleeping bags.

 

The nurse stayed in the doorway as he looked about the room looking over everything.

“Mister Jones, If you need anything else please don't hesitate to call. ” The nurse said and Jones nodded.

 

“I'm good. Any idea how long it will take us to get where we are going? ” Jones asked looking out a window and realizing this ship was traveling at a pretty good pace.

 

“A few weeks as I understand it. We are heading to an oil rig no longer in use. Apparently it was reworked into a deep-sea research station. From there, I heard rumors we have a single day's travel from there. ” The nurse said in a low voice and Jones nodded showing he understood this was a secret among those in the know.

 

Jones felt restless and politely dismissed the nurse back to her duties. She left with a smile and he followed her out after securing his room.

 

The ship was more then he was expecting. The back end or the stern of the ship was clearly for rest and relaxation. As he walked out into the open space. He noticed groups of people from all walks of life. Judging from the physical build and clothing. He could easily guess most had various jobs from where ever country they came from.

 

A few people looked curiously at his arm stump now wrapped in clean bandages, but no one asked about it. Jones was okay with that.

 

Jones took note of the dining area including a bar. One thing that he noticed was the ratio of men to women was off. There were a lot more women aboard then men. He didn't like using words like nerdy or geek, but the ones he saw were definitely the intellectual type.

 

When Jones walked to the front of the ship he saw this is where the crew members like to be when off duty. A few smoked cigarettes and most were talking in small groups.

 

Jones looked out over the different colored cargo containers and admired the two cranes that loomed overhead. They were spaced far enough apart not to get in each other's way and cut the unloading time down so he guessed.

 

Looking over the ship's rail he could just barely see the large hold doors where no doubt in his mind where even more cargo shipping containers were stored. Jones took a mental note that a lot of them were military-type the army used. From past experience, he knew there would be extra ammunition, spare firearms and the bigger toys that would go boom stored in those containers.

 

'That is enough for a small army. ' Jones mentally commented to himself. He walked back to the pool area where he ran into Charles Smitty and his newly adopted daughter, Sasha.

Sasha was busy playing by the pool while Smitty chilled by the poolside with his legs in the water.

 

“I should have known you would be down here checking out the girls. ” Jones said looking around.

 

“Damn, sir. You're already up and moving around. ” Smitty said as Jones pulled a chair over with his left hand to sit next to Smitty.

 

“I shall assume you got a little shot of the good stuff too? ” Jones asked.

 

“Yeah and Sasha did as well. If I understand it, she will have a longer childhood then other kids and she can heal from just about anything. I want the very best for her. I have heard that we got some time before we get to where ever we are going. Just like the Army. Same shit, different day. ” Smitty said in a low voice and referring back to their past army days.

 

“Yeah, we went where ever the army needed us. Now, we just get paid better with more benefits. No doubt, you noticed the cargo containers? ” Jones asked.

 

“Yeah, I got an up-close look one late night, but they are locked down pretty tight. Where ever we are going to, it requires a lot of bullets. The crew are pretty tight lip about our final destination. No doubt under some contract or something. ” Smitty said almost in a whisper.

 

“Too much like the army. I say, we enjoy the ride and we will learn soon enough. ” Jones said deciding he needed some time off to relax and mentally recover.

 

Jones wasn't sure, but by the time he reached his cabin after dinner time he swore the stump on his right arm looked longer.

 

As the days passed. He got a shock when he left his stump unwrapped one night and found five stubby digits growing out of a nearly formed hand. He could even flex them a little.

Before too long after that, he had fingers once more and the only difference between he could tell from his old hand was the paler skin color.

 

By the end of the week, Jones had the great pleasure to see the shock on Smitty's face when he offered up his right hand for a high five.

 

“Damn, bro. We are kind of like Wolverine now. Minus the metal bones and claws. ” Smitty commented and pressed his fingers into the pale hand if trying to detect a fake hand.

 

“I have noticed one drawback. I'm hungry as hell and I wouldn't say no to a big juicy steak. I will catch up with you later, man. ” Jones said and made his way to the dining hall where a person could always get something to eat. Cooks were on stand by to fix up nearly anything a person could want.

 

The next few weeks passed peacefully and much needed relaxation for Jones. Smitty apparently found himself a girlfriend named Victoria on board. Jones understood she was an expert in flowers and bees. A recruiter had snagged her from good ole England.

Jones had met her a few times and got to know the kid that Smitty had adopted. Sasha took to him pretty fast and Jones quickly earned the nickname Uncle Jones from her.

 

Chapter 02: Final destination

 

The big announcement came and everyone was informed twice over through text messages then the ship's speaker system. Edward Knight himself was going to be in the main dining area that night to give a speech.

 

Jones made sure to get there early and got a seat toward the front along with his friends.

Others came in and soon they had people standing against the back wall.

 

Edward Knight came out from a back door and stood upon a slightly raised stage.

 

“Welcome ladies and gentlemen. I'm sure the rumor mill has been going strong that we are almost at our final destination. I can't say where just yet, but I can tell you that we are almost past the point of no return. In the morning we will be docking at a deep-sea research station. All of you have a very serious choice to make. For once, we leave the station. You will be leaving your old life behind. Any distant friends or family you have will never see you again. For those who wish to stay behind may do so at the research station. A second boat is already there waiting for those who back out. I warn you there is a price to pay for staying behind. A counter serum will be injected into you to remove your new healing ability as stated in your contract for leaving early. You will be given a generous amount of credits to make your own way back home with no hard feelings. ” Edward Knight spoke in a stern voice.

 

Murmurs broke out and few people were bold enough to raise their hands to ask a question while others voiced them. Edward Knight ignored the hands and waited for the noise to die down before he went on speaking.

 

“It is my hope that you will stay aboard this ship. I promise you this. You won't regret the wonders you will see. Those thrill seekers who like danger will have plenty. That is all. ” Edward Knight said and calmly walked out the same back door he used to enter the room.

 

“I don't know about you, but I'm curious as hell to see where we are going. ” Smitty said sitting next to him.

 

“Clever to offer up a longer life span and with super healing then threaten to take it away. ” Jones commented and excused himself to walk around on the upper deck.

 

More people came out and Milo Jones joined in on several small groups that had formed getting a feel for the people. Most of them were unhappy at their previous jobs or overlooked by more experienced people. Edward Knight or one of his recruiters had approached them with the promise of a higher paying job of their choice. The only drawback they would have to leave their old life behind.

 

Jones decided he would stay on and went to bed early just to get up before dawn and watch to see if anyone left the ship in the morning. He was there on the upper deck when they came into view of the research station and watched as they docked.

 

Jones spent the time writing a message to his foster parents. Milo Jones came to the decision that they deserved to know he was okay after all these years. He was vague on the details, but thank them for all they did for him and told them he was starting a new life somewhere else. He mentioned, he didn't think he would be able to contact them ever again and they shouldn't worry if he dropped off the map completely. That he had top-secret covert world-saving work to do. His foster mother would get a kick out of that last sentence.

 

Milo Jones sent the message and looked up to see the oil rig clearly.

 

The old oil rig wasn't much to look at and clearly remade to be a port at sea for passing ships.

There were several announcements over the ship's speakers counting down until they would leave. Other people came out and took a position behind the rail to watch like Jones did.

Jones was surprised that not a single person left the ship. The warning came the ship would leave in five minutes.

 

The time passed quickly and the ship's crew unhooked lines and retracted the gangway. Then Edward Knight's voice came over the speakers.

“Ladies and gentlemen, we will reach our final destination at noon by tomorrow. Be sure to come onto the forward deck for a sight you won't soon forget and may never see again. ” Edward Knight said and Jones could hear people talking about where they might be going.

Jones was far from being an expert on islands and where most landmasses were, but he was pretty sure they were far from any he knew of.

 

As Jones thought back to the past few weeks. He hung out with Smitty and got to know Sasha a bit better. She was a sweet shy girl who seemed pretty smart for a kid of her age. Jones was looking forward to playing the Uncle role and staying in touch with Smitty.

 

The next morning, Jones was on the upper deck having already finished his breakfast meal early. He was sure every guest was there crowding the rails on all of the upper decks.

 

Below Edward Knight appeared with a group of men. They went to work undoing the sides of a container that was larger than most. The walls fell away and were slowed by the use of cables. What had to be the world's largest gyroscope was revealed so it appeared, but Jones noticed it looked odd. It's main function lost to him.

Edward Knight was checking a GPS device then he powered the gyroscope machine on. A minute before noon the gyroscope came to full power and hummed loudly.

 

The area before the ship where sky and ocean met seemed to cracked open making a doorway. There before them not too far away was a landmass where none should have existed. There were screams of shock, murmurs of wonder, and a few panic cries. Jones watched as the ship sailed straight through the doorway. A heatwave of air passed over the ship.

 

The ship lurched a little and Jones like everyone else watched as they passed through the opening that seemed to appear in mid-air.

 

Jones felt oddly light-headed as he took in a deep breath of air and looked about to see everyone else was feeling the same effect. Even the temperature seemed to go up a few more degrees and they were already sailing in a tropical climate. Jones knew the air here was purer and richer wherever they were now.

 

The captain's voice came over the speakers urging calm and they would be docking in mere fifth-teen minutes.

 

Jones felt very clear-headed as he was taking in more breaths.

Jones made his way to his room and grabbed his single bag. As he prepared to leave his room for the last time. His new smart watched beeped and the tablet muffled by his bag. Looking down he saw he had a text message on his watch.

 

“Welcome Milo Jones, to Eden. Please report to Group-A” the message read.

 

Jones found Smitty and discovered he got the same message. Victoria was to report to Group-B, but promised she would find them later. Sasha's own smartwatch advised her to stay with her parents or guardian.

 

It wasn't long until Jones saw the ship was making it's way to a beach with a tall cliff. Then he noticed the cliffs were odd-looking.

 

“Dude, There are buildings coming out of the top of those cliffs. ” Smitty said pointing upward.

 

Jones saw them as well as other people around them marveled at the structures. Off to the side skyscrapers on one section jetted out climbing up the rocky side. Nearly in front of them up high one large circular building was by far the largest. It appeared to be made from a shiny metal, unlike anything he had ever seen.

 

The best way he could describe it was seeing a large UFO saucer craft had landed on top of a tall building. He noted the mirrored windows that wrapped around the upper part of the building.

 

Jones got the strong impression he was looking at a castle or a fortress of some type.

 

Designed and built beyond modern standards. As they sailed closer he saw balconies on the cliff's face and knew they were living spaces cut directly into the side of the solid rock cliff.

Something large flew toward one of the buildings and disappeared inside. Jones thought it had to be an aircraft or a drone of some type. As the ship sailed closer to a dock that could handle large or small vessels he noticed solar panels and wind turbines high up on the rocks as well.

 

Pretty soon they were sailing into the port and for the first time, Jones looked ahead to see the beach cove they were heading for. Even from this distance he made out a large opened door and saw a train backing out. Judging from the lack of sound he guessed it ran on electrical power.

 

Men and women were waiting on the docks as the shipped slowed and came to almost to a perfect stop as the docking arms took hold of the ship.

 

Jones didn't miss the security checkpoint that waited for them as the gangways were connected to the docks. Jones followed Smitty as they left the ship. He was at a loss on where they were now. He had been all over the world and never heard of a place like this before.

 

“Welcome to Eden, please place your right hand on the hand scanner. ” A woman said to him and Jones was brought back to the present moment. He did so and watched as his name and picture ID came onto the screen.

 

“Any personal firearms or weapons to declare? ” She asked next with a friendly smile.

 

“Ka-bar, its a knife. ” Jones answered wondering if he would have to give it up for security reasons.

 

“Well, you're the first military guy I have seen who didn't bring his firearm of choice.

 

Depending on if your new job requires it. You will be issued a firearm of your choice. Don't be too shocked if you notice a lot of people with weapons on Eden. ” The woman said looking a bit surprised that Jones wasn't more well-armed and started typing away at her touchscreen.

 

Jones took that moment to see people were being loaded onto the train toward the front where passenger cars waited.

 

“Your all set. Please check your smart device for your seat number. ” The woman said and waved him on as she greeted the next person.

 

Jones looked down at his smartwatch and saw he had a new message. Checking it he saw his seat number as he walked on right beside Smitty.

 

Even with the assigned seating numbers, there was plenty of room to sit where ever he wanted. Even as the last of the people were loaded on.

 

Looking back out of the window he saw the cargo containers were now being offloaded from the ship directly to the flatbeds of the train. Men and women were busy strapping them down with heavy chains.

 

It was then he noticed Mister Knight and his bodyguard coming aboard. They walked to the front of the train and disappeared behind a door marked staff only. Jones figured he was riding upfront with the driver.

 

Screens overhead came to life and a soothing female computer voice started to speak.

 

“Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to the world of Eden. I'm Alexi. We will be entering Alpha city, shortly. Most of you must be wondering where you are. To understand this; you must first have a basic understanding of parallel universes including parallel earths. ” Alexi said and Jones heard as the train passengers fell into a silence.

 

Judging from the tone of the voice he knew it was a computer voice speaking to them now.

Jones tuned out the next part as Alexi explained in a dumb down version of what parallel universes were. Jones didn't like to brag about it, but he enjoyed far too much sci-fi type books as a kid. He perked back up when he heard the name of Knight.

 

“60 years ago, Jonathan Knight the grandfather of Edward Knight discovered a way to travel to this single parallel world aboard the cargo ship Togo. Upon discovering what they thought was an uncharted island they soon learned the truth from those already living here. It was almost one big super-continent or to put it simply; One single landmass with several large islands scattered all around it. ” Alexi explained the history of Eden.

 

Here a map of their location came up on the monitor screens and Jones like everyone else saw they were on a section of the Western South part of the mainland. Jones thought it looked like images of Pangaea, but almost broken apart in places going upward. A large area went up in a northern direction past a range of mountains which appeared to be snow-covered. On the Southern part of the map were two other locations being displayed. A place called Beta Site in the middle of the landmass of what appeared to be a vast jungle and far off on the right was a large island labeled as Paradise Island. According to the map, it had a single city in the middle of it named Utopia. A wide river flowed right past the city.

 
 

Alexi went on. “Thanks to thousands of people brought here and billions spent, we have established two large settlements. A very small satellite system keeps us in touch with Alpha and Utopia City which is located on Paradise Island. Even in the best of communities, we have our criminals. Beta Site was converted from a deep jungle research station to a maximum-security prison. Paradise island was established as a safe haven for all people from the dangers of the deep jungle. Alpha City is a lite farming community and houses many of the manufacturing factories deep within the mountainside of this unique world. Many wonderful discoveries were made. Like the large caverns connected by tunnels, but life has evolved here in ways few have dreamed of. The plant gene for rapid growth was discovered here and copied to every useful plant and tree back on earth. Even the regeneration process now available to people was developed here as well. With all great wonders, there are dangers to beware of. Creatures untouched by mankind have lived here mostly on the main continent. For more information, we have provided available downloads based on personal risk. Do not fear for your own personal safety while in Alpha City, because we are a walled city safe from the creatures of the jungle. The large protective stone wall which is monitored by the people in the OverWatch Tower and manned by the Wall Guard. ”

 

Jones watched as the screen changed showing a massive wall that was built across a large valley then the screen panned out to show a small city of houses with small farms and streets.

 

The camera angle came around and showed them what it looked like from the top of the wall looking in.

 

Jones was impressed by the setup knowing it had to take decades to build even with machines doing most of the work.

 

Murmurs started up around him about the dangerous animals in the jungle. Jones overheard some people discussing getting transferred to Paradise Island right away.

 

“Please remain seated. The train is about to move. Please remain seated. The train is about to move. Take this time to see the many jobs open or review the dangerous creatures to avoid and enjoy your ride. ” Alexi repeated and a warning message flashed over the monitors.

1