Eden 07-08
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 07: Women's talk

 

Minutes earlier, when the men left for the drinks. Tiffany Knight or Tee-Kay to nearly everyone else helped her mother clear off the table.

 

“He seems smart and he is easy on the eyes. ” Her mother commented.

 

“Yeah, I borrowed daddy's login and looked him up in the citizen records. He served in the military and saved a little girl's life just before coming to Eden. He handles his Leather-Wing almost as good as me or Madam Grace. ” Tiffany said and noticed that Brutus only looked at her with a slightly disapproving look at her minor abuse in using her father's login, but went back to work on gathering up the empty plates.

 

“You think your father is giving him a good beating by now? ” Her mother teased.

“I bet he is holding his own. You heard Milo say his foster dad was a Kendo teacher. ” Tiffany said and saw that gleam in her mother's eyes then glance at her brother. It was a silent signal Tiffany should get her Uncle out of the room.

 

“Uncle, could you check on Milo? I'm sure all of our women talk bores you. We will finish cleaning up. ” Tiffany said and watched as Brutus bowed and left the room. The women were alone now.

 

“I think Milo Jones is the one for you, daughter. Your father has shown him more respect then the few you have dated before. ” Her mother said next.

 

“Yeah, I want to take things slow for a little while. So, I don't scare him off. ” Tiffany said knowing from past experiences that some men were put off by her tom-boy ways. Her hair was short and rarely did she ever wear a dress. A lot of men were also offended she was a far better shooter at distance targets.

 

“You know Madam Grace won't allow you to fly with him when she notices you two together. Either, he will be assigned to another team or you will. ” Her mother said knowing the rules regarding romance in the dangerous workplaces on Eden. Those in combat jobs were often assigned different duties or were on separate teams.

“I wouldn't be surprised if he is given his own crew soon. ” Tiffany said remembering a conversation she had with Madam Grace after her defeat in the final match. Jones had bested a seasoned rider and showed he was just as good as her.

They worked and chatted some more until the room looked almost perfect once more.

“We better check on the boys. ” Her mother said and together they entered into the Dojo room.

 

Milo was putting the sword back into the case and Tiffany saw he had been admiring her father's sword. Then, they stood almost next to each other looking out over the water discussing the dangers in the deep sea.

 

There was a slight gleam of sweat on all of them and Brutus was favoring one leg over the other. Each of them had a plastic water bottle in hand sipping from it.

 

“If you boys are done playing. I think its time for Tiffany to see our guest out. ” Julie spoke noticing her brother's injury and knew he would heal up from it in a short while.

Jones inclined his head and nearly walking side by side he went with Tiffany.

Out in the empty passageway, Tiffany made her move.

 

Jones noted how close she got to him and they kissed deeply. She wrapped her arms around his back and felt the rush of heat as their lips touched.

 

“Call me, on your first off day. I will show you around Utopia city and the best places to visit. ” Tiffany said slowly breaking away from him.

 

Jones did so around lunch the very next day. Tiffany offered to take him to Paradise Island was accepted and flying by Leather-Wing they left Alpha City.

 

Hours later they flew past the last part of the mainland. They sailed over the sea with ships coasting along in safe shipping lanes where the water wasn't deep enough for most of the dangerous sea creatures.

 

Armed crew members on the ships waved at them then returned their full attention to watching the water itself.

 

Jones saw the large island that was their final stop. Below they past over a sea wall then what had to be hundreds of farms or homesteads. Groves of fruit trees even more livestock fields could be seen from time to time at these places. They passed over little towns next and Jones saw that most the roads led from farm country out to seaports.

 

In the far distance, Jones spotted a huge structure ahead. For a full minute, he didn't believe what his eyes was seeing.

 

Shaped like a pyramid, but it had opened levels to it. On top was a control center not too different from Overwatch Command. Small personal aircraft of every kind were landing and taking off at various landing pads. Taking goods or supplies to the other islands by the look of the cargo. Back on Earth, it would have been an airport hub.

 

“Come in, Utopia. I got two Leather-Wings and riders coming in. ” Tee-Kay's voice said over the shared comm line.

 

Somewhere on their Eden version of air traffic control, he heard a rather bored male voice reply back.

 

“Roger that, we see you. Your clear to land in Camp Sanctuary or the upper deck on the south side. ” The male voice said.

 

“Camp Sanctuary, of course. ” Tee-Kay responded back

 

Jones followed her as they made their way down to a large group of trees that looked even larger then the redwood trees back on Earth.

 

This time they flew through open spots between the wide branches. They passed other Leather-Wings that slept or were busy eating the strange looking fruit that grew wild here. Jones could see this through large gaps in the massive trees. Judging from marks around the edges they had been clawed or chewed. Jones also saw kids on climbing ropes with a few adults were lecturing them as they struggled. Jones knew it was some type of interactive outdoor classroom judging from the tone of the teachers.

 

Next Jones saw a set of stone cabins in rows. An older gentleman with faded red hair came out and grinned at Tee-Kay.

 

“Tee-Kay. It's been far too long. ” The man said and Tee-Kay gave him a fatherly hug. Clearly, he had known Tee-Kay a long time.

 

“Shane, this is Milo Jones. A new rider. ” Tee-Kay said and Jones shook the man's hand.

 

“So, This place is a training ground? ” Jones asked looking around and up at the kids high up in the trees using climbing ropes.

 

“More like a summer camp for lads and lasses who want to be riders. Not all here have that same dream. Some, come just to learn and others just want the skills that we teach here. Taming the creatures, how to climb, and making yourself more independent. ” Shane said waving a hand around.

 

“Not to mention every few years a Leather-Wing will bond with a child. I told you it's rare, but it happens. Most won't bond until someone hits their teenage years. ” Tee-Kay explained.

 

“True, so you two staying the night or two? Plenty of room on the girl's side and I can put your man there with the boys. ” Shane asked Tee-Kay.

 

“Yeah, we are heading into Utopia for a while and we will stay for a night. Showing the new guy the islands. Let's give Jones, ten minutes to meet me back here. ” Tee-Kay answered back and Shane nodded.

 

“Come on, Lad. I have one of the wee lads get that saddle off of your Leather-Wing and bring your things to you later. ” Shane said and Jones taking only his personal bag with him followed Shane. Tee-Kay gathered her personal travel bag and walked the other way.

Jones got the nickel tour and liked the setup.

 

“Utopia is like any earth city. So, I was told. My own great granddad came here by accident. The way he tells it, he was a young man out for an early morning stroll. One second he was walking through the morning mist and ended up here. It was good fortune he ended up on an island and close to a farm with a pretty girl his own age. ” Shane explained winking as Jones who took in the sights.

 

Jones was led to a large two-story stone cabin. Upon entering he saw a few guys hanging out and judging from the flight gear. He knew them to be riders like himself.

 

“Hey fellows, This is Milo Jones. He will be taking one of the guest rooms for a night. He can't stay long to chat. ” Shane said and pointed the way down a hallway.

 

Monitors next to each wooden door marked a person's name or reverted back to the guest room if it was unused.

 

Jones gave a nod to those he passed on his way barely noticing their names. Most of the guys looked busy so he didn't stop to chat.

 

Jones entered an unused room and changed from his flight gear to his casual clothes. He decided he didn't need his pistols for strolling around a city, but he made sure his knife was tucked away. He secured his pistols in a lockbox he brought along inside his bag.

 

Once he was ready he secured the room by having his hand scanned on the monitor.

 

He walked back to find a bio fueled truck waiting and Tee-Kay behind the wheel. Tee-Kay had changed into jeans and a comfortable looking shirt. The faded printed image showed Miss Marvel on the front of it.

 


 

Chapter 08: Trouble in Paradise

 

Getting into the truck they left for the city and It wasn't until entering into the ground level of Utopia. It was clear this is where everyone who drove came to park and unload goods.

As they got out of the truck and started walking Jones felt like he entered the world's largest market, mall, and flower garden at the same time.

 

“I love the flowers here. Good thing people decided to save them as well. ” Tee-Kay said taking in a deep breath smelling the sweet air that covered up the livestock that was being sold not far away from them.

 

“Good for bees, too. ” Jones said noticing dozens of bees buzzing around collecting pollen.

Jones heard songbirds as they passed by fruit trees. Blue Jays, Robins, and even pigeons were perched in the trees. Not far away was a mean-looking bird that had to be one of the many native species of Fang-Parrot. It's slightly jagged beak snapped anytime another bird got too close to it.

 

They spent hours walking to various shops and dining by the water fountains where the water appeared to dance. The water even appeared to flow upward with the help of special lights that gave off the illusion.

 

As night fell the whole place lit up and Jones was reminded of Vegas at night. Tee-Kay pointed out places where people lived or work and how you could almost find anything. They held hands and even kissed a few times. They toured each level by climbing up the wide stairs that connected the levels and they only used the elevator to go back down. Tee-Kay showed him a place where smart shades could be purchased.

 

Jones found them to be the civilian version of his flight helmet. Worn like sunglasses they darken at bright lights and even gave the wearer better night vision. There was even a head-up display which included maps of the different levels in Utopia itself. They both brought one each and Tee-Kay mentioned she needed an extra one due to her misplacing her last pair.

As the various stores closed and food places shut down the crowds thinned out. Jones decided he liked Utopia at this time of night.

 

Because he never liked being in crowds or strange places before he was alert for trouble. He spotted some when he noticed three men had been following them.

 

All-day he had seen PeaceKeepers, but now it seemed none of them were patrolling this area at the moment.

 

As Jones looked for a good spot that would bottleneck these men. Tee-Kay spoke up softly.

 

“I see them too. Take a left. There is an alleyway between the stores. ” Tee-Kay said in a low voice and moved even closer to him if they were lovers looking for a secluded spot to have a private moment.

 

Tee-Kay pulled him into the alleyway giggling loudly so there would be no mistake to anyone in earshot what they were planning to do down a darken area. They turned the corner and Tee-Kay tapped at something on her watch and it began flashing a blue color then she quickly dismissed her active screen to make it go passive.

 

As Jones looked at the other end he wasn't pleased to see two more men blocking the exit as they were coming their way. Each of them were holding pipes and look like the sort who worked in a warehouse where there was a lot of heavy lifting.

 

“I hope you know how to use that dagger of yours. I got these two. ” Tee-Kay said and pulled out two knives from under her shirt. Jones had no idea she had those or where she hid them.

Jones pulled out his dagger and turned to guard Tee-Kay's back.

 

The three that followed them pulled out collapsible batons. Jones wasn't sure he could take on three at once, but then he remembered he could go all out on somebody these days with little risk in killing these men.

 

Jones moved forward deciding the less time they had to plan the better his chances.

The first guy was clumsy and came in with a wild swing. Jones went to work slashing at him leaving wounds that would have killed the man if he wasn't already healing from them seconds later.

 

The sprays of blood and a gushing river of it coming from his body would leave the first attacker weak.

 

The last two were better and Jones got caught off guard as they spread out staying a few feet from each other.

 

Jones went on the defensive dodging swings from the batons and managed to get close to one man. They swung at the same time and Jones felt his dagger slip from his blood-drenched hand and heard a baton hit the ground as his attacker screamed in pain.

 

The dagger sticking through the guy's wrist and firmly lodged between the bones. Almost like an arrow's barb.

 

The world exploded in pain as a baton blindsided him. Jones shook off the first blow and he managed to step forward and locked the man's arm. Wasting no time he spun him around and he forced the guy into a wall hearing the guy's arm break.

 

Jones finished him by kicking his knee out from under him. Another cracking sound and he went down screaming then passed out.

 

That guy didn't get up and the stabbed man took off running. Jones watched him turn the corner and disappear from sight.

 

Jones checked to see if his first attacker was still passed out and he saw the guy was. Tee-Kay's well being came to his mind and he looked up.

 

One of her attackers was clutching at his eyes as blood ran between fingers. Then he witnessed Tee-Kay stabbed the second guy right between his legs. He went down holding himself and screaming insults at her.

 

It was at that moment when three drones came down with flashing red and blue lights.

 

“Drop all weapons and stay where you are. ” A voice boomed from the drones and Tee-Kay dropped her knives. Jones held up his hands showing he was unarmed.

No less then half of a dozen Peace Keepers showed up with weapons ready.

Oddly enough they weren't pointed at him or Tee-Kay.

 

“Jesus Christ!, These assholes picked the wrong pair. Someone get two medic buses here now. ” One PeaceKeeper said and Jones saw the rank of Sargent on him.

 

“Milo Jones and Tiffany Knight. You can lower your hands. Miss Knight, come over here. The drones have facial recognition software. You two were deemed most likely to be the victims. They also caught some of the action as we scrambled to get here. My name is Sargent Suave. ” Sargent Suave said.

 

“Are you two okay? ” he asked next looking at each of them. Perhaps trying to figure out if any of the blood was theirs.

 

“Got my bell rung, but I been hit harder. ” Jones said if reporting to a higher ranking officer.

 

“Former Military. I can tell that without looking at your file. I know you, Tee-Kay. There is only one family named Knight, that I know of. ” Sargent Suave said next then shook his head at the guys being tended to by the Peace Keepers.

 

“We had trouble with these guys before. Never anything too serious. Maybe a few years on the lower level of Beta will make them see the errors of their way if they live long enough. ” Sargent Suave said next then motioned they should walk with him.

 

Already two small medic air crafts were landing in an open eating area. The four big rotor blades spinning down to a slower speed.

 

Jones saw the man who had run away was being held by two Peace Keepers. The dagger still stuck in his arm and blood trickling out. Sargent Suave commented on the man Jones had stabbed.

 

“That guy damn near plowed into my men. Weak as a kitten too. Okay, let's get your statements and I will make sure that you will get that dagger back. Everything is already being recorded. Let's go sit down over there. ” Sargent Suave said tapping the side of the combat helmet where a camera light on the side was blinking red.

 

Each of them told what happened and Sargent Suave assigned a single PeaceKeeper to watch over them as they handle things. Jones had felt of rush of anger when Tee-Kay mention that one attacker said they came “Too have a little fun with her. ” Sargent Suave had nodded at that added attempted rape to list of charges that were piling up.

 

Jones calmed himself as he recalled what Tee-Kay had done to the men.

 

Jones watched as the crime scene was photographed, weapons scanned, and injured men were taken away. After being checked out by a medical person wearing a white uniform. Jones went on watching the medics at work.

 

Not far away two medics were in a bit of an argument on the best way to remove the dagger.

 

“If we break it and the bones don't heal right. We both get fined for not doing it right the first time. Let's just laser it off and he will grow a new one in a week. ” One medic said gesturing almost wildly now.

 

“Okay, fine. Your explaining the severed hand then. I don't need the extra paperwork. ” The second medic said and pulled out a curved rod-like device made for cutting limbs.

Jones seen such methods used before to cut people loose from car accidents or pinned down by something too heavy to lift without a machine.

 

Within a few minutes, the closed outdoor dining area became a staging ground for everyone working. They were even allowed to clean up a bit. Tea, coffee, and even snacks were left out for everyone.

 

Jones found himself enjoying a cup of tea and Tee-Kay was doing the same.

 

Sargent Suave came back with Jones dagger and two tablets with text statements including a video file of them giving witness testimony.

 

“Sign here and here is your knife back. Everything has been scanned and logged. After that, you're free to leave. ” Sargent Suave said and his eyes lit up when he spotted the fresh coffee.

 

Jones was pleased to see that his dagger had been cleaned already. Jones put it away and

they both signed the tablets.

 

Sargent Suave motion for them to leave the tablets on the table. A cleaning crew was moving into the area as they left.

 

Together they walked out and even had a single PeaceKeeper escort them down to the truck just in case these guys had friends in the area.

 

Tee-Kay thanked the PeaceKeeper once they were at the truck.

“Hell of a first date, together. ” Jones commented and Tee-Kay smiled before speaking.

 

“We kicked ass. Shame, those fellows didn't know that Uncle B taught me self defense. I learn to break fingers when I was nine. ” Tee-Kay said next and the rest of the trip back was filled with them trading fight stories.

 

They kissed long and hard when they came back to the camp and slowly parted to their own rooms to clean up.

 

Jones was up early and ready in his flight suit. Mentally, he told himself he would come better armed if he ever returned to Utopia. The place didn't live up to its name, but he liked the city anyway.

 

He passed the other riders busy with eating breakfast or reviewing things on their personal tablets.

 

Jones was pleased to see that he beat Tee-Kay out to the spot where the truck was parked.

Shane came out from the main building yawning and stretching.

 

“Good Morning, Lad. Have a good time in Utopia? ” Shame said nudging him a bit.

 

“Pretty good. I even got to stab someone. Don't worry. He will live. ” Jones said back and Shane chuckled a bit perhaps thinking Jones was joking then notice the serious look on Jones's face.

 

“You wouldn't think we need hospitals or doctors anymore. Sure we can heal fast, but it takes time if the wound is serious. ” Shane said now flexing his arms and legs.

 

“Broken bones can heal wrong, stuff can be left in wounds and I have read poisons can take a bit of time to recover from. ” Jones said in return deciding to warm up himself. Jones recalled that today they had planned to fly to some of the smaller islands so Jones could get an idea of what they were like.

 

Jones whistled then called out to Nightmare and soon enough his Leather-Wing came down.

Shane went inside and came out with the standard two-person saddle and helped Jones getting the gear on Nightmare.

 

“She is a good girl. ” Shane said petting Nightmare.

 

Blood-Wing came down and waited looking in the direction of where Tee-Kay had gone to sleep.

 

Jones and Shane decided to put a saddle on him as well so everything was ready for take-off. Blood-Wing growled a little when Shane or Jones got a bit close to where a rider would sit, but gave them no trouble. Clearly he didn't want anyone, but Tee-Kay riding him.

 

“Calm down, lad. Your mistress will be here soon enough. ” Shane said to the Leather-Wing in a tone like he did this sort of thing a hundred times over a day.

 

Tee-Kay arrived soon after and strapped in her own bag on the seat behind her. Jones did the same and with Tee-Kay leading the way they took off.

 

The dozen or so islands they visited were nearly the same. It was clear these were set up to be safe harbors for ships hugging the coast. The most exciting part for Jones came when something like a great white shark came leaping out of the water. Soon after a massive large serpent head came right after swallowing the large shark whole. The whole thing happening far off to his left and some distance down.

 

Jones briefly wondered if some of the creatures from Eden had accidentally gone to Earth in the past through a portal. It would explain past monster sitings on the open seas and few of the monsters in old mythologies back on Earth. Jones would run his idea past Julie the next time he saw her.

 

Jones playback the video and sent it to Tee-Kay's flight helmet.

 

“We call those Sea Dragons or just Sea Serpents. They are considered good luck among sailors. Mostly, because ships that happen to be adrift at sea are pushed ashore by Sea Dragons. ” Tee-Kay's said after watching the short clip Jones had sent her. Their flight helmets making their conversation possible.

 

They spent nearly the entire day hopping from one island to another. Jones saw sea ships moving from one place to another below and small air crafts with just two rotor blades on it passed them in the sky just above their flight path.

By the time they arrived back at Alpha City their Leather-Wings were tired and the riders a bit saddle sore, but healing the moment they landed.

 

Teenagers assigned to the Leather-Wing Bay came up and helped them with the saddles and Jones departed from Nightmare.

 

Before him or Tee-Kay could leave Madam Grace called them into her little office. They were invited to take a seat inside.

 

They sat down and Madam Grace ran a hand over her short iron-gray hair which stuck up in every direction.

 

“I understand you two had a bit of trouble in paradise. A Sargent Suave contacted me and wanted me to tell you two. The men they arrested will be on trial soon. He assured me, that their crimes are a slam dunk case and it is highly unlikely you will be called upon as a witness. Apparently, he is urging the criminals to take whatever plea deal they are given and be happy with it. One man will have a painful recovery as his manhood grows back. ” Madam Grace smiled wickedly at Tee-Kay before going on.

 

“Captain Milo Jones, It is my great pleasure to promote you to lead a squad of your own. Given your test scores, natural skills at riding, and past history on Earth as a leader. I see fit that you're perfect for the job. Congratulations on becoming Team Seven's new leader. Janet Ace will be your second in the chain of command for a short while. Mrs. Ace will have her own team soon enough judging from her scores. William will be your third. Your last man is a teenager named Mike Colate. We had an unexpected bonding while you were away. He was a runner from OverWatch Command coming to give me a sealed order on a tablet. I happened to be next to the Leather-Wing named Nefarious and I barely had the tablet in my hand when she bit him. Scared him nearly to death and took him some time to stop shaking while his cousin who works here talked to him. He is as green as they come and your down a fully trained man until he passes the classes. I trust you will make do until then? ” Madam Grace said and Jones nodded.

 

“Good, you're free to go. It's your last day off and I'm sure you have better things to do. ” Madam Grace said and they left her office. The happy couple only separated after a quick kiss.

 

Jones went back to his apartment and sent out messages to Charles Smitty and Lee Lima. Smitty was the same and told Jones of the romantic weekend he had with Victoria.

 

Lee seemed happy over the video chat as he introduced his parents to Milo Jones. Jones learned that Lee got a job aboard a small air cargo ship. His boss a mature teenage girl named Mississippi or just Missy to her friends.

 

Jones asked about her and Lee gladly explained she owned a cargo aircraft that she inherited from her grandfather back when they were brand new on Earth and Eden. Lee explained his job was to be their navigator.

 

Jones wished him the best of luck and turned in for the night.

1