Eden Short Story: Iron Kross Ranch
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The elderly Mr. Kross looked upon the ruins of his burnt down ranch house. This year had been a hard one on his family and his way of living.

 

Months ago the local plant had a chemical spill right into the main river that made the grazing area toxic for livestock.

 

Thankfully, his farm was far enough that most of his cows drank from a creek fed pond. However losing as many cows as he did meant he didn't even come close to breaking even this year. Back taxes and a second loan on his house were long overdue.

 

The final result was the sheriff and his men coming out to foreclose on his property. One loyal son and a hot headed deputy caused an oil lamp to be knocked down. With the current summer drought his home went up like a tinderbox. Only the burnt remains of two of the outer walls were left.

 

“Dad, I'm sorry about the oil lamp. ” William said quietly standing next to his younger brother Billy.

 

Elderly Mr. Kross sigh and took a few extra seconds before speaking.

 

“Don't be. I rather see our home burn down to ashes then hand it over to those vultures at the bank. ” Mr. Kross said and smile a bit at the thought. Now all the bank had was the value of the land. Now made toxic by greedy bastards like themselves.

 

“We could move elsewhere with the cattle that we have left. We can start a smaller ranch. ” Billy suggested looking over the property with a lost look on his face.

 

“Did I ever tell you boys about my grand dad? Left Germany when all that master race non sense started and went back as an American to fight for freedom a year later. All he ever wanted when he came back was to pass this ranch down to each new generation. ” Mr. Kross explained what had to be the hundredth time that he told this story to his boys over the long years.

 

“I think Billy is right. We can start again in another state. It was good of the Sheriff to drop all charges. ” William said making eye contact with his brother.

 

“Bank took my truck and yours, William. All we have to our name is Billy's little pick up truck, two cattle trailers, and the herd. Billy's small truck can't handle either cattle trailer. ” Mr. Kross said and sniffed loudly.

 

“Dad?” William asked concern. The only time he ever saw his father shed a tear was the day of his mother's death.

 

“I'm alright, boy. I just remembering a verse in the Bible. It deals with more on temptation, but it says something like God won't give you more than you can handle. This is just my burden I must undertake. ” Mr. Kross said as he wiped at his eyes a little. His sons pretended not to notice.

 

“Daddy, there are cars coming up the driveway. ” Billy said having the sharpest ears. He turned hearing the crunch of gravel under tires.

 

The Kross family watched as two heavy duty pick up trucks and two cars were pulling up. The trucks were the latest models.

 

The drivers of the trucks got out and stayed by the doors. The more expensive car pulled ahead and stopped about twenty feet away.

 

One of the largest men Mr. Kross had ever seen in his life step out from the driver's side and an almost average man step out from the back seat. The business suits on both looked expensive. Mr. Kross didn't miss the hand canon inside the big guy's coat. The larger man was clearly a body guard.

 

“Do I have the honor of addressing The Kross family of the Iron Kross Ranch? ” The average man asked calling out to them.

 

“You do and what is left of the ranch. ” Mr. Kross said making his voice defiant.

 

“Dad, I know him from somewhere. He is famous or something. ” William said in a low voice that didn't carry to the strangers.

 

“You from the bank or a lawyer? ” Mr. Kross asked and there was a hardness to his voice. Mr. Kross didn't think so. The extra trucks didn't make sense unless they meant to take his remaining cattle along with his cattle trailers.

 

“Not at all, Mr. Kross. My name is Edward Knight. The big guy is my bodyguard and driver, Brutus. I been asking around and I hear your one of the best ranchers. I'm looking to become your business partner if you have me. I got some land with a house already setup thanks to my family's inheritance. It was once my father's summer ranch home. What I lack are men, who know what they are doing and a good herd of cattle. ” Mr. Knight explained.

 

“And What? You decided to come here to take advantage of our misfortunes. ” William asked and there was an angry tone in his voice. The large man tensed up and Mr. Kross knew even if all of them fought Brutus they wouldn't win even in a fair fight.

 

“Settle down, William. Mr. Knight mentioned business partner. ” Mr. Kross said willing to hear the man out.

 

“He is one of those rich guys, dad. We can't trust him. ” William said and Billy nodded.

 

“Boys, Hush up and hear the man out first. I have heard of Mr. Knight before. While his company does charity work like those free vaccines program. I always heard that Mr. Knight doesn't. He makes deals and prefers investing in small businesses. ” Mr. Kross said and gave Mr. Knight a respectable nod.

 

Mr. Knight walked closer and stood just feet away now.

 

“The location is a tropical island far from here. Good fertile soil for grazing and a large land plot twice the size of this place. I will handle the shipping costs and I have my own ship to transport everything. What I lack are experienced people that I can trust to take over. The kind of people who respect the land and love it. ” Mr. Knight said.

 

“What would our share be? ” William asked and Mr. Knight nodded a little showing respect to the younger Kross family member.

 

“Twenty-five percent each. If I may say William, it is a miracle you have kept this ranch running as long as you have. Between your family's hard work and your accounting skills. Those bankers didn't stand a chance those first few years. If it wasn't for this summer drought and that chemical spill you would have made it out of all the ranchers in the area. ” Mr. Knight said keeping his tone respectable.

 

“Not sure how much of the herd we will have left after I settle up. There's the loans and the back government taxes we owe. ” Elderly Mr. Kross said stating cold hard fact.

 

“Well, about an hour ago I settled all your debts. Call it a good faith gift since I'm eager to invest in your family. I can even advance all of your shipping costs for extra cattle trailers. Those trucks behind me are for your boys if they agree to our deal. Latest model, fully loaded and there is room on my ship for all of the trucks. ” Mr. Knight said and gave them a warm smile.

 

The younger members of the Kross family craned their heads to look at the new trucks. Billy went so far as to lick his lips. Clearly his old rusty, yet dependable truck didn't compare to what he saw parked not far away.

 

“Give us a minute to discuss it. ” Mr. Kross said and Mr. Knight walked away to stand next to his body guard.

 

“I don't know, daddy. Sounds too good to be true. ” Billy said quietly.

 

“No more winters and we own most of the ranch, dad. Between us that seventy five percent. ” William commented.

 

“Boys, The Iron Kross Ranch must live on at least in name. It would kill my soul to give it up. If I got to sweat it out on a tropical paradise rather feel the cold in my joints. I say we go for it. I just got one little snag in the deal to work out. ” Mr. Kross said in a low voice then broke away from his sons to walk closer to Mr. Knight.

 

“Mr. Knight, I just got one little change to the deal I like to make. When we make a profit. I want the option to buy you out. ” Mr. Kross said wondering if he was pushing his luck too much.

 

“I think, I can agree to that if you allow me to keep at least one percent. I do like a good steak every once and in a while. ” Mr. Knight said smiling and held out his hand for Mr. Kross.

 

They shook hands and Brutus reached back into the car and pulled out a tablet for Mr. Kross to sign after he made the changes. Brutus showed it to Mr. Kross then William to read over carefully. Mr. Kross signed it then Mr. Knight.

 

The younger Kross members were whooping with joy as Mr. Knight gave a signal to the truck drivers who walked to the last car and hopped inside. The Kross boys would find the keys and all vehicle documents on the driver's seat. Including directions and the ship's name.

 

“God bless you, Mr. Knight. ” Mr. Kross said and patted the man on the shoulder.

 

“I do what I can. I will be sure to stop in every once in a great while for dinner to collect my one percent. ” Mr. Knight joked and Mr. Kross nodded taking him seriously.

 

Epilogue:

 

Over a year later, Mr. Kross stood on the porch of his new ranch house located on Paradise Island.

 

The ranch house was far larger and had more guest rooms then Mr. Kross knew what to do with. A perfect home for a large family. It was late evening with the sun setting. Dinner was ready and as always on Friday night he cooked up some steak or meat of another kind.

Billy was doing what he was good at which was bringing in the herd into the smaller fenced area.

 

Recalling the trip here was almost like a dream. Everything started normal enough until they sailed through that rip in the air and learned what the regeneration treatment would do to their bodies.

 

Mr. Kross no longer felt the ache in his knees or hands anymore. Which made his work days a lot easier. Mr. Kross thought as much as William was seeing his pretty girlfriend. He would soon have a grand baby bouncing on his knee while he held onto two little hands.

 

Two bat shape shadows passed overhead and swung back to land in his long driveway.

 

Instantly, Mr. Kross recognized the monstrous bat like creatures that were native to Eden. Leather-Wings as they were called and damn useful for traveling or rescue work.

 

Mr. Kross waved at the two riders and the one passenger. Mr. Knight and his daughter departed from the first Leather-Wing and a young man he didn't know was on the larger one.

Mr. Kross waited and watched as they stripped out of their rider gear and stored it in the side saddle bags. Under the rider's jump outfits they were dressed for a day out in the country. The trio were soon walking toward him.

 

“What?, No fancy air ship this time? ” Mr. Kross asked with a teasing tone and took another sip of some fine coffee. Mr. Kross considered Mr. Knight a good friend over these past few months.

 

“We had a minor repair issue, so change of plans. You know Tiffany of course and this young gentleman is Milo Jones. Tiffany convinced him to take a vacation day. We decided on having some steak for dinner if its not too much trouble, Mr. Kross. ” Mr. Knight said with a smile.

 

“Come on in. William has been late to dinner every night this week. You can have his lion's share of the meal. I will throw a few more steaks on the stove for the kids. You can even stay the night if you like. I'm just glad you didn't bring the big guy. I would have to butcher another cow. ” Mr. Kross joked and the trio of guests grinned as they walked up the steps.

 

The End

0