Chapter 33:  Temperance V
471 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On Monday afternoon, as the school bell rang, Duncan stood in the locker room, retrieving his belongings and neatly packing them into his bag. Outside, he observed his fellow students doing the same, bundled up in warm jackets to combat the chilly weather. It had been a few weeks since the mission with Wong, and Theodore—also known as Ted—had been taken to Kamar-Taj for his conditioning. There, amidst the enchanting surroundings, Ted expressed his desire for solitude and his quest to discover his newfound self. Understanding his predicament, the Ancient One advised him to leave Earth, as the organization seeking his work continued to pursue him relentlessly. Initially hesitant, Ted eventually acquiesced. The Ancient One conjured a mysterious portal, leading to an unknown planet concealed from Duncan's knowledge. Through the portal, he caught a glimpse of a junkyard teeming with peculiar and bizarre debris.

Returning to his regular routine, Duncan visited Kamar-Taj every Sunday, but no noteworthy events unfolded. Weeks passed uneventfully, leaving him with a sense of tranquility tinged with monotony. His school life mirrored this stagnation. Apart from football games and practices, he lacked excitement and purpose. Furthermore, his homework load had multiplied as the semester approached its end. Amidst this mundane existence, Duncan noticed Peter behaving strangely. Peter consistently visited the chemistry lab after school, dismissing his friends' inquiries with evasive responses.

As Duncan traversed the school corridors, he occasionally felt a tap on his shoulder, followed by congratulations from classmates. Last week, the football team celebrated their fifth consecutive victory, yet Duncan knew they would not advance to the playoffs this season, having already lost five games prior. Nevertheless, his contributions to the team's success fueled hopes among some that they might make the playoffs next season. Despite his relative detachment from the "popular" crowd, Duncan had garnered a reputation throughout the school.

Continuing down the corridor, Duncan sensed a subtle shift in the atmosphere. Though many celebrated the football team's triumphs, the impending finals loomed large, casting a shadow of worry over the students. With exams just a couple of weeks away and numerous projects demanding attention, Duncan observed his peers frantically clutching peculiar items as they hurried about.

Suddenly, he spotted a familiar blonde girl emerging from a classroom, struggling under the weight of thick stacks of books in her hands. Disheveled and exhausted, she seemed devoid of energy and entirely disinterested. Bags drooped beneath her eyes; her once fair skin was now pallid, and her posture was reminiscent of the hunchback from Notre Dame.

Amused and concerned by her comical yet alarming appearance, Duncan approached the girl, matching her stride. "You look like a zombie," he quipped nonchalantly.

"Geez, not even a hello," she huffed, rolling her eyes in annoyance. "So, are you going to offer your help like a proper gentleman?"

The boy shook his head in response to her remark and took the hefty stacks of books from her, carrying them effortlessly. "What's up with you?"

The girl let out a weary sigh. "The gig is just around the corner, and we've been practicing almost every single day."

"Well, that's nothing new," he replied casually.

"Yeah, well, the problem is I've got all these assignments to do," she grumbled, frustration evident in her voice. "I've been sacrificing sleep just to find extra time for them."

"It's not that terrible," Duncan stated, his tone relaxed. "Remind me again, who's the one making me do the assignments early? Maybe it's karma."

Gwen couldn't help but snort at his words. "One of these days, you'll actually appreciate what I do for you."

Duncan chuckled, glancing down at the pile of books in his hands. The assortment covered a wide range of subjects—history, physics, and social studies—but no biology, as those assignments had already been completed.

"Hey, how about I lend you a hand? If you keep going like this, you'll turn into a walking zombie," he offered. "We can work on them together at my place."

"No, I've got practice."

"Then cancel it, just for today." The boy shrugged casually. "It's only one day."

"I don't know," she murmured, uncertainty lacing her words. "I mean, how can you help me anyway? These assignments are all essays."

"Ghostwriters exist, Gwen."

She shook her head decisively. "Yeah, no."

"Come on, at least take a break from your band practice and do your assignments," Duncan insisted, his voice filled with genuine concern. "I'll even ask Paul to grab some food if you want."

Gwen let out a weary sigh. "If the teachers catch on that you were the one who wrote my assignments, we could end up getting suspended."

Duncan nonchalantly shrugged his shoulders, not showing much concern. "Well, your loss,"

Gwen mustered a weak smile, her gaze turning towards Duncan. "Look, I'll take your advice and give myself a break today," she said. "But can I ask you for a favor?"

"Sure, what kind of favor?" Duncan asked, raising an eyebrow in curiosity.

"We need transportation," Gwen muttered awkwardly, her words stumbling out. "I really hate to ask, but the girls are pushing me into it, so... could you help us?"

"Transportation?" Duncan's brow furrowed in confusion. "You mean like carrying your music equipment?"

Gwen chuckled nervously. "Yeah, I was thinking maybe Paul could help," she suggested. "If he's busy or anything, it's totally fine. I don't want to be a bother."

"Yeah, I'll ask him. Why do you look so nervous about asking me?" Duncan interrupted, chuckling lightly as they continued walking through the corridor.

"Well, I don't want you to take it the wrong way."

"Oh, shut up," Duncan scoffed, rolling his eyes. "I assume you need it for gig day, right?"

"The day before, actually," Gwen corrected. "We need some practice."

"Alright, I'll check with Paul," Duncan hummed thoughtfully. "I'll let you know if he's available or not."

"Great." Gwen nodded, a sense of relief washing over her. "Thanks, I owe you one."

"Remember, my other offer still stands," Duncan stated. "The sooner you finish those assignments, the sooner you can take a break."

"I can handle it on my own, Duncan," Gwen replied, rolling her eyes playfully. "Anyway, I think I'll head home early now. See you tomorrow."

"Right, bye," Duncan waved casually as Gwen hurriedly walked away, making her way towards the school exit, outpacing him.

|November 27th, 2015|

Weeks had passed, and now the day of Gwen's concert was nearly upon them. The month had flown by for Duncan. Besides dealing with end-term assignments and finals, he had immersed himself even further in the study of the mystic arts. Now, the young man stood in the parking lot of Midtown High School, leaning against the car he usually rode in, with Paul seated on the driver's seat and the windows rolled down. The air was crisp and pleasant this time of year, with the trees displaying vibrant shades of red and the fallen leaves forming colorful piles on the ground. The autumn scenery had a profound effect on one's emotions. They were waiting for the people who had invited them to come out of the school, bringing their musical equipment to be transported to the venue.

A gust of wind caused Paul to turn his gaze toward the young man leaning against the car, and he smiled. "You know, something just occurred to me. It's only been three months."

"Three months of what?" Duncan inquired.

"Since you started high school," Paul continued. "It feels like ages ago when I first drove you to school. And now, you've gone to a homecoming dance with a girl, and you're helping her set up her gig."

Duncan chuckled at the observation. "Is that supposed to be surprising?"

"Three months ago, you had no friends and were homeschooled," Paul remarked. "It makes me feel old just thinking about it, and it's strange to see someone grow up so quickly."

Duncan rolled his eyes playfully. "Well, you went through it once, from being a boy to... whatever this is."

Paul scoffed. "True, but seeing it from a slightly different perspective is still interesting."

"Like watching your kid grow up?" Duncan asked calmly.

"I suppose so, although I never had a child of my own," Paul replied. "It's both sad and fulfilling at the same time."

Duncan hummed thoughtfully. "Oh yeah, you never had a child. Why is that?"

"What more is there to say?" Paul shrugged casually. "I never had a wife or any serious relationships. I was always too busy."

"Busy?" Duncan raised an eyebrow. "I didn't realize being my mother's assistant kept you so occupied. Sure, you bought McDonald's every now and then, but I wouldn't call that busy."

Paul laughed at Duncan's words. "My job isn't limited to that, kid."

Duncan chuckled. "Well, fair enough."

In the distance, a group of girls hurriedly emerged from the school entrance, pushing a trolley loaded with equipment. There were exactly four girls, with Gwen among them, accompanied by her friends. Upon seeing this, Paul stepped out of the car and prepared the trunk to accommodate the gear. However, upon realizing the amount of equipment from afar, he became a bit concerned.

"I don't think it's all going to fit," he remarked.

"It's fine; we can put some of it on the middle seat," Duncan waved off the concern, walking towards the approaching group of girls.

As Duncan approached, they all greeted him with smiles and waves. He reciprocated, turning to address the girls.

"Remind me why you didn't rent a car or something?" Duncan asked. "It seems like more than I expected."

"Well, we wanted to save money, among other reasons," MJ shrugged. "Do you think it will fit?"

"It will if you don't mind squeezing those guitars onto the middle seat," Duncan casually pointed out.

"I see no problem with that," Betty chimed in. "It's free; I can't complain."

Duncan hummed in agreement. "Alright then, bring it over to Paul."

"Will do, boss," Gloria quipped, pushing the trolley through the parking lot toward the car.

Duncan stood there, raising an eyebrow as Gwen joined him, observing the trolley being wheeled away. "Boss?" Duncan murmured.

"Yeah, that's Gloria for you..." Gwen muttered. "Listen, thank you again for this. I apologize if they're being a bit rude about it."

"It's alright. I'd take a free ride too if I were in your position," the boy shrugged. "Where are the drums?"

"We'll use the drums at the venue," she replied. "Bringing them would be quite a hassle..."

"You have a point," Duncan acknowledged, turning to the girl beside him. "Well then, shall we go? I can't wait to see you perform."

Gwen scoffed and rolled her eyes playfully, walking away from the conversation. "Of course you can't."

In the evening of that day, Duncan sat on a bar stool, observing the band practice on a small stage provided by the bar. Music reverberated through the empty space, as the bar was closed for rehearsals. Duncan wanted to say that the rehearsals were going smoothly, but...

"Ugh... Gwen, your tempo is way too fast!" Gloria exclaimed.

"Well, sorry. I'm just nervous," Gwen grumbled.

"We're all nervous, Gwen. You need to focus," MJ chimed in.

"I'm trying, okay?" Gwen's frustration was palpable.

"Alright, let's take a quick break," MJ suggested, sighing.

Upon hearing this, Gwen dropped her drumsticks with a touch of irritation and stormed out of the room. The other girls shook their heads and proceeded to readjust their instruments. Suddenly, they turned their attention to Duncan, who had been quietly observing from a corner.

Noticing the girls' stares, Duncan raised an eyebrow. "What's the matter?"

"Could you talk to her?" MJ asked.

Duncan looked puzzled. "Why? She just needs a moment to cool off, by the looks of it."

"She's nervous because you're here," Gloria stated.

"She is?" Duncan questioned.

"Yeah, you tease her about the gig all the time," Betty rolled her eyes.

Duncan let out a sigh, standing up from his stool. "Alright, I'll go talk to her."

With quick strides, Duncan exited the room and headed outdoors, where the cool wind filled his lungs once more. The wind blew gently, and occasional cars passed by on the streets. There, he found Gwen sitting outside the café, seemingly seeking a breath of fresh air. She stared down at the pavement, wearing a weary expression.

"You okay?" Duncan asked calmly, taking a seat beside her.

"I'm fine, just tired," she muttered, avoiding eye contact.

"Look, I'm sorry if teasing you about the gig created certain... expectations," Duncan said. "You're here to have fun, right? Or are you trying to impress me further or something?"

Gwen scoffed, playfully pushing Duncan away with her shoulder, eliciting a chuckle from him. "So, they told you about that, huh? Can't even trust them..."

"Well, if you can't focus on the day before the gig, I can understand why. Don't blame them," Duncan shrugged. "If me being here makes you nervous, I can leave."

Gwen raised an eyebrow. "Yeah, no, I need my ride back home."

"Oh, wow, so that's all I am to you now? A ride?" Duncan rolled his eyes. "I don't know what you want me to say. Don't push yourself

 too hard or set high expectations. It's your first gig; just have fun."

"Well, you don't have to say anything," Gwen said, groaning. "But thanks anyway."

"Great," Duncan smiled. "So, do you want to head back or stay here a little longer?"

"I think I'll stay here for a few more minutes," Gwen sighed, a wisp of mist escaping her mouth. "You'll be there tomorrow, right?"

"Of course," Duncan shrugged. "I'm sure you'll do great."

And in that moment, Duncan could hear the sound of chains breaking in his mind, echoing through the stillness of the evening.

===

NEW RANK UP!

Temperance VII - Understanding of Hatred: Allows you to sense a person’s negative intention towards you, even if you’re not looking at them.

12