Chapter 37: Vanguard
48 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[HP Regeneration.]

[Restore 5% of the user's maximum HP per hour. This skill will be upgraded when the user reaches level 70.]

Eon's new passive skill functioned almost identically to MP regeneration, with the exception that it regenerated HP.

[Ice Armor.]

[Make an ice armor that will absorb all of the damage the user will take. The armor will have 15% of the user's maximum HP (+15% per level). The armor will have 100% of the user's defense value. Fire elemental attacks will deal twice as much damage to the Ice Armor. The Ice Armor cannot be healed by any means. The ice armor will dissolve automatically one hour after it is cast.]

For a few seconds, Eon stood motionless, staring at his newly acquired skill. Then he started spending his available skill points to improve it.

[Ice Armor has received four skill points.]

[The skill Ice Armor has been upgraded from level 1 (15% of the user's maximum HP) to level 5 (75%).]

***

[Deceitful Shapeshifter has been activated.]

Eon stepped outside. Eon spread his wings and flew out of his chamber. His gaze wandered through the scenery of Kegali's blue sky and green forest. He started traveling, but not in the usual direction, which was the Red Island; instead, he went north, a direction he had not yet explored.

He was well aware that returning to the Red Island would be extremely dangerous due to the rulers of the place hunting him down for the shambles he had created on their territory. Furthermore, due to Eon's 20 level difference with level 1 Peasants, he would no longer receive worthwhile experience points from them. Killing armies of peasants to gain levels was no longer an option.

Based on their current level difference, a single level one Peasant would only provide Eon with 0.025 experience points, implying that he would have to kill at least 1000 of them to gain at least one level... And if he managed to level up safely using the same strategy, he would no longer receive experience points from them after leveling up at least once, reaching a 21 level gap. And there weren't as many level 2 and higher peasants as there were level 1 peasants... To summarize, the swarm bombardment strategy was no longer worthwhile.

Eon had to come up with another viable way to easily level up...

Eon flapped his wings, his massive Vibrant's mandibles and crystal white tusks dangling from his head. He could clearly see the surroundings and the inhabitants of this forest lurking around from his high altitude. The sounds of various monsters echoed in every direction, revealing their locations. Although each of the monster species in the area was not as numerous as the Peasant evolution line, the forest of Kegali was teeming with a diverse group of monsters, and unlike the Peasants, who were only advantageous in terms of quantity, the inhabitants outside the Red Island had higher quality.

Unlike the Peasants, the monsters here relied more on individual strength than on numbers.

After a few minutes of aimlessly flying around without a proper plan in mind, Eon abruptly slowed down upon seeing what appeared to be a fairly interesting sight to him. He found it so fascinating that he decided to circle it and watch it feed on the grass.

A colossus...

RACE: Lesser Gigante Boar [Level: 30/40].

HP: 570/570

MP: 300/300

Top Speed: 60 km/h

Defense: 3

[STATS.]

Strength: 57

Agility: 30

Intelligence: 30

[DAMAGING ACTIVE SKILLS.]

Tusk Strike [MP Cost: 20] [Level: 20/20].

Unstoppable Charge [MP Cost: 20] [Level: 20/20].

Giant's Crunch [MP Cost: 4] [Level: 4/20].

[NON-DAMAGING ACTIVE SKILLS.]

Heavy Hitter [MP Cost: 1]

Vanguard [MP Cost: 20] [Level: 20/20].

[PASSIVE SKILLS.]

[Lesser] MP Regeneration.

[Lesser] HP Regeneration.

[Lesser] Mana Absorb.

A six-meter-tall colossus with a muscular, circular black body. It was visible among the small trees that surrounded it. It appeared to be a tank made of meat with sharp tusks that could easily obliterate anything in its path. Black spiky furs protruded from its back. One could inadvertently jump on it and become a skewer.

The Lesser Gigante Boar also possessed the passive skill Mana Absorb, which granted it regeneration whenever it killed a unit. The amount of regeneration was determined by a percentage of the maximum MP of the eliminated unit.

It was snorting and flapping its ears as it fed on the grass, oblivious to everything around it. A wild beast would jump on it and it would not notice until the beast's fangs pierced through its tough skin. As they grew in size, they became slower to react to their surroundings. This was not a major issue for them because only a few monsters dared to attack these behemoths.

And one of those few monsters was already perched on a tree, his gooey eyes fixed on the Lesser Gigante Boar. Eon's retractable eyes widened as his mouth slowly opened, surprising that no drool came out. Eon let out a long growl, his gaze never leaving the majestic giant in front of him.

Eon had gone days without eating... He didn't see the Lesser Gigante Boar as an adversary, but as a moving meal that had already been prepared for him. And now that he had reached this point in his development, he was confident in his ability to defeat the giant in front of him.

The Lesser Gigante Boar heard his ravenous growl and looked for him, but he was nowhere to be found. Because Eon was already on his way to his next meal.

[Ice Armor has been activated.]

[Ice Armor has 292.5 HP.]

In an instant, his entire body was covered in ice that was the same shape as his body. It was almost as clear as glass, but his body couldn't be seen inside. Blue lights emitted from the area where his eyes were, leaving traces of blue lines as he moved. His mouth and body were emitting cold smoke. It was cold inside and outside of his armor, but he couldn't feel it because he was immune to the cold effect of his own armor.

And, despite being completely encased in his armor, his movement, particularly on his ice-covered wings, was unhindered; he could move as freely as if the armor were not even there.

Eon spun in the air and rushed toward his prey's massive body.

[Icy Touch has been activated.]

Eon landed on top of the Lesser Gigante Boar's massive head, where there were no spiky furs.

[Icy Touch has dealt 279 damage.]

Because of the Lesser Gigante Boar's defense, his attack was reduced by 150 damage. Nonetheless, he inflicted devastating damage on it.

The Icy Touch caused no pain to its target, so it was not immediately alerted. Furthermore, the sudden freezing on Lesser Gigante Boar's brain made the already slow Lesser Gigante Boar much slower to realize what had just happened.

[Icy Touch has been activated.]

[Lethal Augmentation has been activated.]

Before the Lesser Gigante Boar could even react, its head was frozen, killing it before it could use any of its skills.

[Icy Touch has dealt 279 damage.]

[Lethal Augmentation has dealt 240 damage.]

The frozen head of the Lesser Gigante Boar collided with the roots of a tree and was crushed, with frozen pieces falling to the ground. What remained on the ground was a headless giant defeated by a much smaller foe.

The battle was over, and Eon was served a large portion of food.

[You have received 18 experience points.]

The calculation of experience points obtained was solely based on the level difference between the killer and the eliminated unit. Every level difference was worth two experience points. Due to the nine level difference between Eon and the Lesser Gigante Boar, he received 18 experience points.

[Deceitful Shapeshifter: a new form has been acquired. The Lesser Gigante Boar form is now available for use.]

[Deceitful Shapeshifter has been activated.]

Eon stood tall and looked around. He transformed into a Lesser Gigante Boar so he could eat his massive food without difficulty. However, his entire body was still covered in Ice Armor, making him appear to be a mountain of ice. He allowed the Ice Armor to remain for safety reasons. His eyes, which were glowing with blue light while hidden inside his ice helmet, darted toward the massive meal in front of him. It was a feast.

[Deceitful Shapeshifter: The eliminated unit has a skill that can be imitated.]

However, before beginning his feeding, he concentrated on the list of available skills for him to copy. There were several options, including the damaging active skills Tusks Strike, Unstoppable Charge, and Giant's Crunch, as well as the defensive, non-damaging active skill, Vanguard.

All of the skills were excellent, but there was one in particular that piqued Eon's interest.

[Vanguard.]

[Call forth the enchantment of protection to mitigate the damage that will befall the user. The damage reduction is equal to 25% of the user's strength stat (+25% per level). This skill's damage reduction will be the first to be calculated. One hour after activation, this skill will deactivate automatically. This skill will not stack with any other skill that performs the same function, regardless of which stat the other skill uses as a multiplier.]

It meant that if the Lesser Gigante Boar managed to cast Vanguard, Eon would be unable to kill it. His attacks would all be reduced to zero. Fortunately, Eon was able to kill the giant boar before it could cast any skill, particularly its extremely versatile defensive skill. A skill of such magnitude that, if successfully cast, could completely turn the tide of any battle.

He paused for a few seconds before deciding to add one of the Lesser Gigante Boar's skills to his arsenal. He'd chosen the one with the most utility, as it would come in handy in future battles.

It was finally time for him to fully embrace the melee, defensive warrior he was born to be.

[Do you want to learn Vanguard?]

[Fire Blast will be permanently deleted, and you will not be able to acquire a skill with the same name again.]

[Imitating the skill, Vanguard...]

[Imitation process completed.]

[Skill, Vanguard has been acquired.]

[The skill [Imitation] Vanguard has been upgraded from level 1 (25% of the user's strength) to level 20 (500%).]

Then, for his own safety, he decided to use Vanguard right away.

[Vanguard has been activated.]

[Vanguard has granted you 195 damage reduction.]

Monsters did not frequently use their buff skills, only when danger was imminent. That was entirely natural. Even the most fervent warrior would sheath his sword if there was no enemy nearby. It was just that Eon was a little different.

Eon then ate the meat of the Lesser Gigante Boar.

RACE: Armored Cryo Teplonide [Level: 21/30] [Exp. Points: 18/25].

HP: 390/390

MP: 103/210

Top Speed: 42 km/h

Defense: 2

[STATS.]

Strength: 39

Agility: 21

Intelligence: 21

[DAMAGING ACTIVE SKILLS.]

Lethal Augmentation [MP Cost: 20] [Level: 20/20].

Icy Touch [MP Cost: 20] [Level: 20/20].

[NON-DAMAGING ACTIVE SKILLS.]

Deceitful Shapeshifter [MP Cost: 1]

Ice Armor [MP Cost: 5] [Level: 5/20].

[Imitation] Vanguard [MP Cost: 40] [Level: 20/20].

[PASSIVE SKILLS.]

World Conqueror's Perception.

[Lesser] MP Regeneration.

[Lesser] HP Regeneration.

2