Chapter 6- Morning Preparations
99 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1 September 2022

The Redoubt

 

Eudora looked down at her trunk, it was almost full packed.  There was one last thing to do before she could head out.  Outside her door she met the portrait of her grandfather once again.

 

"I need to get into the library," she said.  "Brother left some things in there that I would like to take with me to school."

 

The old man looked her up and down before nodding.  She'd always given in to his prodding for her basic training, and in the last few days had not even complained.  He knew the basics of what had happened, and stroked his beard.

 

"There are some things in there you are better leaving alone.  Some books that are far, far more than you should be looking into at your age."

 

"I know, I want his schoolbooks, the ones from the foreign school."  She locked eyes with the painting, not giving any ground.

 

Eudora was well aware that her family had kept a number of things over the years that would prove a danger to her.  No small number of them were dark magic artifacts and tomes, and she wanted nothing to do with those.  Dark magic... corrupted, and changed people, seldom for the better.  Her grandfather, when he was alive, had told her as much, and also that she should learn about it.  No matter how much you should avoid using something, understanding it was still important.

 

"Very well," the portrait said after seeing her resolve.  He then walked out of his frame.

 

In the heart of their home was a room that was always sealed.  It had no windows, and only one double door.  The center was a meeting point, two nude forms of male and female each holding the staff of a caduceus.  On their bellies were the symbols of each, Venus and Mars, and all surrounding them were runes and notations, a mix of alchemy, ancient runes, and astronomical signs.  There was a meaning to it all, but Eudora was not at the point of understanding yet.

 

This door was meant for the adults of family alone, none without the blood would be permitted.  Even she shouldn't be permitted, but there was a bypass, made for a contingency just like this one.  Her mother was the eldest of the family, and should have been the one to let her in, but mother was no longer available.

 

Drawing in a small breath the girl whispered "Open."  It was echoed several times from inside.

 

With a click the door unsealed, gently opening on hinges that would never need to be oiled.  Slowly, carefully Eudora entered, taking in the sight that she'd been privy to only a few times in her life.  Her grandfather's portrait was on the wall, as were those of other ancestors.  Near the center stood a painting far larger than the others, a man before his workbench, who looked down at her.

 

"Castor tells me that you require books left here by your sibling."  He said, not unkindly.

 

"Yes sir."  Painting or not, in this place there were ways to remove those who offended the image of their family's most honored ancestor.

 

"Bring them and let me see," he said.  As this painting spoke the others in their frames held their tongues.

 

Eudora did as she was bade and quickly found the books.  They were nearly the newest things in this place.  In turn she held each up to be examined by the various paintings, some stroking beards or humming at each showing.

 

"What language is that?"  The large painting asked.

 

"Swahili sir, they're schoolbooks brother acquired from the magic school in Africa.  The muggles have learned of us once more and I need to know how to protect myself, even if my wand should be taken from me."  There was a murmur as several of the images here learned of the destruction of wizarding secrecy.

 

"Concerning, very well.  Be safe my child."  The elder declared, excusing Eudora from this place.

 

The books she took back to her room were exactly as she'd described them, nothing more than simple school texts.  They weren't even banned or hidden, but they were difficult to get ahold of, and the notes within would be of great use.  Her brother had been nearly as paranoid as grandfather Castor, and had tried to delve into wandless magic.  He'd never gotten too far, but it was time for the family to change that.

 

With care the four books on spellwork and translation guide were added to her trunk.  If something were to happen to them she'd have a very hard time replacing them, not impossible, but it would be a downright nuisance.  That done Eudora looked up at her room.  The decorations were staying, as were a number of her own personal effects, a few old toys and plushies, and some photos that she valued too much to take anywhere were placed about.

 

"Ready?"  Her aunt asked from the doorway, barely poking her head in.

 

"Yeah, did you find someone to deal with the enchantments?"

 

"Yes, the nice man from the ministry gave me a line on someone to work on them.  He'll be here in a few days and then no more muggles will be standing on our doorstep," her aunt assured.

 

That little incident had spooked the both of them.  The man had clearly known they were there, and known that they were magical.  The Daily Prophet had been all up in arms about the muggles finding out about magic, and there were even notices that with the state of things, wizardkind would have to reveal itself.  More concerning were the reports from some other countries, how the foreign muggles were trying to hunt down any witches or wizards they could.  They were failing, but it was still terrifying what they did to some of their own people.

 

Eudora didn't know how they'd found them, or who that man had been.  Perhaps he'd seen something of her from the many times she'd told muggle boys to shove off over the years, or somewhere else.  She really suspected that he'd seen her at the dragon attack too, or someone had snapped a photo and he'd realized it.

 

The dragon had been housed at Gringotts, one of their newer ones, and was a real sticking point.  The goblins insisted that they had more than enough controls and that it shouldn't have been possible for it to get loose.  After one had been freed during the second wizarding war they got a lot more serious about controlling their beasts.  The ministry still insisted it was investigating, but there were already calls for them to take control of the bank from the goblins.

 

Eudora mused on how that would work out for them as she stepped into the hall once again and ran through all of her morning protocols before the painting there once more.  He said nothing as she did so, only looking on with a slight smile.

 

That done they headed to the fireplace.  Floo would be the easiest way to get to the platform this year.  Her aunt was still leery of taking her side-along, and going down to the road for the bus was just not happening.  She took one more look at her home, and the smiling figure of her house-elf before stepping into the flames and speaking out her desire.

 

"Platform 9 3/4"

 

 

Still trying to work out all of the controls for Scribblehub, so I hope this goes through properly.  Hello all, it's a pleasure to be here with you.  If you're enjoying the story I'd love to hear from you all in comments or reviews.  It may not be for everyone, and that's okay, but I hope you like where I go with this.

1