Chapter 10- Minions
103 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Light made itself known, not the painful, brilliant light of the dawn, but rather a calmer, slightly green tinted arrangement. It came slowly, building until a certain young woman found herself stirred. Then a jarringly loud clock went off, waking the whole dorm.

Curtains were thrown open and several girls nearly fell out of bed, looking around blearily for the source of the noise. In a corner stood an older girl, prefect badge pinned to her chest looking at them all with a slight smile.

“You lot didn't set an alarm, you're late. Now get up, Professor Nathri is handing out schedules.” With that she turned and left, ostensibly to go wake up someone else.

“Did all of us seriously forget that?” Julia asked, picking herself off the floor.

“I was so tired last night I barely remember it,” Eudora admitted, standing and heading to ready herself, she really hated mornings, but irritating a professor this early in the term wouldn't be good.

Only a few minutes later all the girls of the dorm made their way downstairs, where they found the head of the house staring down several of the boys as she passed out schedules. For their part the boys didn't seem to mind this, probably because half of them seemed smitten on sight. She was young, somewhere in her early thirties or using makeup and potions to appear as such, with strawberry blonde hair that fell over her silver robes and a smiling heart-shaped face.

“Good you're here, come forwards girls. I was just explaining how I won't have any little fools embarrassing my house.” It was seriously impressive how venomous she sounded without the smile ever leaving her lips. “Because we can be better than that, and we will be better than that, understood?”

“Yes, ma'am,” said Eudora, along with all her fellows.

“Excellent, then I expect you to mind your manners, and abstain from any foul language,” her eyes turned to one boy in particular who froze in place. “Or else I will be forced to act to... correct that behavior.”

There was a flick of her wand and papers floated to each student. “Here are your schedules, you'll notice that at the bottom of each is a day and time. I like to have a meeting with all of my new students, a brief time to get to know each other, and address any potential questions or concerns. The password, if you missed it last night, is 'Propriety' and your first assignment is to obtain a map or convince an older student to show you around. Consider it an exercise in socializing.”

As the professor left everyone started looking around. There were several of the older students looking on expectantly, knowing that soon they might find themselves with... minions was probably the best word.

For a moment Eudora considered, looking about. The prefects were the obvious choice, and plenty of students were already moving in their direction, but they could only help so many. If you got their help you might find yourself with a strong ally, but what about those that didn't? They'd have a hard time wouldn't they? Nobody liked being second pick, so there was too much risk there. Then her eyes found a familiar figure, the girl who'd spoken to her over dinner surrounded by several of her friends.

“Um, Nicola?” she said as she approached, noticing that Julia and had joined her. “I don't suppose...”

“That I might help you?” Nicola asked, turning to look. “As it turns out I do have a bit of a task that needs doing, and a map would certainly help you to do it.”

“Is it hard?” Eudora asked, a bit nervously.

“Not in the slightest. I need some plants, nothing dangerous, you can probably get them from the greenhouses open to first years. A couple fingers worth of fresh ginger root my little firstie dear. Think you can do it?” She had a map in hand, smiling over it.

“You want me to steal from the greenhouse on the first day?” Eudora asked, a bit taken aback.

“Of course not, Professor Longbottom doesn't mind us taking a few potion ingredients, so long as we keep within reason. You can even ask if you want, if he says no I'll find another source.”

A quick look down confirmed that Eudora had Herbology first period anyway, so getting some plants would be bad. She even kept a bit of ginger growing back home, so picking it out would be easy enough. It also confirmed that she needed to hurry up if she wanted breakfast.

“Deal, but if I'm not allowed...” The map was handed over with an unworried wave.

“Let's go,” Julia said with a smile.

“Go where?” Eudora asked her and watched the other girl's mouth drop. “You got the same assignment I did, shouldn't you go do it?”

The blonde quickly recovered and laughed before she looked towards Nicola. “I don't suppose?”

“Lady's Mantle, same place,” the older student didn't even flinch as the second map was handed out.

The two girls, now with their orders in hand turned and nearly ran face first into what was looking to be this year's designated punching bag. Nervously the boy stood there, eyes on the girl they'd just finished talking to.

“And what do you want?” Nicola asked him, not bothering to conceal her disdain.

“Um... to apologize. I was out of line last night, I'm sorry.”

The senior student took a few moments, looking at him with half-lidded eyes as she rested her head on her palm. “Apologies are good, and mistakes do happen. I suppose you also want help?”

“Please?”

“Fine,” Nicola said with a sigh. “Fairies, live and in-tact, I want half a dozen. I know the Care of Magical Creatures teacher keeps a few about, and yes, you will have to steal them. No easy tasks for you.” She held out a map, but before the boy could take it it was snatched back. “By curfew, and if you fail you'll sorely regret it.”

He took it with a worried look. “I won't then.”

The boy had his head buried in the map as they left the dorm, barely registering where he was going. He muttered on and on under his voice, the names of places and potential routes.

“Need a cage or something, and whole? How am I supposed to get them in?” he grumbled over the paper.

“Fairies are vain,” Eudora finally said over her shoulder.

“What?”

“Fairies are vain, convince them you want them for decoration and they'll go with you willingly,” she clarified. “Auntie puts some up for the holidays.”

“But I don't?” the boy returned a bit confused. He was perhaps not the sharpest knife.

“Then lie,” Julia laughed from where she walked nearby, an obvious answer. “Or do you prefer to find out what will happen if you don't manage it?”

“Thanks, I'm Acanthus by the way, Acanthus Fawley.”

“Nobody cares,” Julia responded, waving over her shoulder as she pulled Eudora over to a seat. Once they'd found a spot she continued. “So, what do you think she wants all these ingredients for? Not something in the rules if she's sending us all out to get them.”

“Don't know, I've only ever helped with a few potions, and none of them had all these in them. Which means probably not something for healing. I suppose if you really wanted to know you could try looking it up or asking a professor, but...”

“But if I do that then the game could be up.”

“Hey girls,” a familiar voice said. “Mind if I join in?” Even though most of Gawain's house sat at a different table he didn't join them, instead plopping down right across from the two girls.

“A little?” Julia tried.

“It's fine, Gawain is cool,” Eudora answered. “How's Ravenclaw?”

“Everything I dreamed and more. Do you know how many study groups we have?” At his question a passing student laughed, they were playing right into the stereotype of their house with that one.

“Enough I'm guessing,” Eudora snickered back at him. “Or maybe not?” she amended when she saw the gleam in his eye.

“I asked about wandless magic last night, and you know what they told me? N.E.W.T. level and above only, the seventh years wouldn't even show me any. I don't think they know any, which means I have to. Manage that and I can shove it right in their upturned noses.” He seemed very excited about that prospect.

“Maybe you should be down in the dungeons with us if you've got dreams like that?” Julia teased, before looking at her watch. “Merlin's beard! We're gonna be late!” She jumped up and tried to pull along Eudora, who resolutely refused to rise.

“I'll be right after you,” she said.

“Fine, suit yourself.” With those words the other Slytherin ran towards the doors and the greenhouses.

“I've got Herbology next, but want to meet after dinner?” she asked. “We can trade spells.”

“Sure thing, see you then!”

Finishing her toast Eudora smiled and chased after her housemate. Being late wouldn't do after all.

1