23. A Normal Day (1)
1.1k 1 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Seduction was more or less, as the word implied, the action of manipulating someone to fulfill one's desires, whether for love or darker purposes, as long as one possessed the mana and expertise. Leila noted how inferior it was to Zain’s.

The technique required specific movements, eye contact, clothing choices, tones of speech, and, above all, a strong intent—the stronger, the better. One of them could manipulate the target, but the more, the better. Worst of all, it was most effective when she showed more skin and outlined her features. As for Zain's, it didn't need specific clothing or gestures and had a subtle sign of activating; he displayed a faint pink light flashing through his eyes, which went unnoticed unless one was close and actively searching for it.

Despite her reluctance to expose herself more to using the skill effectively, she desired to forget it. However, in the end, she didn’t. Without this technique, winning against Zain was impossible. Their recent fight highlighted that fact, and what could be more embarrassing, losing as she had done again or revealing her cleavage while striding with a sway?

Forget that—the latter was more so, no doubt about it. Zain would still put her in embarrassing situations in the future, whether or not Seduction was involved. She had no plans to entertain him at the moment. Instead, she aimed to drill into him all his wrongdoings. 

Leila focused on the fighting technique.

The fighting technique was simple in nature. Seduction was at its core, using deliberate body movements to distract and disorient opponents and capture their attention before executing the second part of the technique.

A set of footwork that minimized its focus on Seduction while still maintaining it. Instead of excessive movement, it utilized swift and fluid movements to reach and defeat the opponent before they broke out of it. And even if they broke out or if it proved ineffective for the duration needed, it still disoriented them to some extent. Then came the third part—the final part, which gave no additional set of movements.

The third part instead gave versatility to Seduction, giving it upgrades to the basic Disorientation, though they were unusable with her inefficient charm stat. Illusion, Suggestion, Puppeteering, Domination, and Memory Manipulation. Leila found three of them repulsive: Puppeteering, Domination, and Memory Manipulation. She left the three for last and viewed the other two first.

Illusion was a step up from Disorientation, manipulating senses to a perfect degree, but it required intermediate control and Seduction, which she didn’t have. On the other hand, Suggestion took a different approach, where it encouraged the target to engage in activities they wouldn't typically do. However, ultimately, the decision still depended on the target.

They will not be as bad. She tried to convince herself, but deep down, she knew the last three were. 

Puppeteering usurped control of the target’s body, where they remained conscious and could resist if their will was strong enough. Domination took full control of the target's will and body, forcing them to obey at any cost, even if it harmed, broke, or killed them. And at last, the worst of them all—memory manipulation—allowing one to read, edit, fabricate, and delete memories.

A puzzle in her mind clicked into place—no, not a puzzle, but an epiphany—and her eyes darted open, widening.

Zain used this technique. He had to. The technique resembled what he used against the professor and students during combat training. He either dominated them into thinking the way he wanted or altered their memory. The muscles tightened in her stomach. The illusion barrier might not be a physical barrier either, but rather the illusionary effect of the technique.

The cool breeze on her face snapped her out of her daze. Since she began meditating, the sky has darkened to a deep blue. She decided to start now before it got too late.

Leila stood up, brushing grass off her skirt and thighs, catching her breath. She had stalled as she read Seduction and the Fighting Technique, preparing herself for it. The delay did not make it any easier for her to commit, as this time she subjected herself to it like she had done in the shower. No excuses or blaming Zain. Her choice—a choice she had made.

The easiest first.

She unbuttoned four of the five buttons on her shirt, revealing the top of her cleavage as she separated the collar. She took a deep breath as her heart raced.

Now, the…

Leila crossed one leg over the other, swaying her hips, but tripped when transitioning to her left, catching herself at the last second. In the transition, she crossed her legs too far. She tried again, focusing on crossing her legs less.

The second time, she succeeded in the transition—not a smooth one, though decent for a second try. But since she focused all on correcting her transition, she swayed her hips too far and forgot to lean back to let her hips guide her.

Ugh…

She tried again and again, the sky darkening as she reached hundreds of tries. When she was done, the sky turned to night, marking the end of her session. In the end, she managed to cross her legs, sway her hips, and lean back enough to be considered proficient at it. Although she would never admit it.

Leila sprawled herself across the ground, panting as hot breaths escaped her mouth, gazing at the sky. She wiped the sweat off her forehead with the backside of her hand. The tranquil sky was filled with millions of stars and the moon, casting a dim golden light. So ethereal, as if within arm's reach. She reached for them. Yet, so far away.

Her breathing had slowed to a moderate pace, and the heat gained from constant movement had subsided. The night's chill, colder than ever, took over, making her shiver as her sweat lingered. She dropped her hand, losing the fleeting hope that had lifted her spirits, which vanished with the wind.

If only…

Leila sat up, wiping off the grass, and straightened her disheveled hair to best she could, given hoe little light the moon gave. She buttoned her shirt and folded her arms. It was past curfew, and as much as she didn’t want to, she had to return. For her sake, with how cold it was, and for... no, not for Zain’s. She would never return to him. It was…

For normalcy.

Even though Zain caused her to skip a day and she broke curfew tonight, she held on to the desire for normalcy. If she maintained good attendance, stayed in school, and focused on her grades, her life would return to normal. Until she escaped or Zain learned his lesson, she wanted to attend class without him taking advantage of her. She desired friendships, whether with females or males, but she doubted Zain would approve of the latter. She needed someone to talk to besides Zain, someone who wouldn't tease, embarrass, or dominate her like he did.

An equal.

Leila stumbled to her feet, a sense of hope rising inside. The hope fueled her desires, and from tomorrow on she would make them a reality. For the first time, she had a direction to follow that did not involve relying on magical solutions like escaping or changing back. She smiled as she exited the training grounds, climbed the stairs, and headed for the dormitory.

On the way, absentmindedly, she swayed her hips, stopping at the door to her dorm. She grabbed the door knob but didn’t infuse mana into the lock. No sound came from inside. Was Zain asleep? Did he stay up past curfew for her? After what she did, she hoped not. Knowing Zain, he would keep her awake all night and punish her. Did her outburst work? It shocked him, but is he still affected?

Footsteps echoed. She glanced to her left, in the direction they came from, around the corner at the end of the hall. Someone was approaching—a student, no, the Hall Monitor. All her hesitation vanished. She infused mana into the lock and hurried inside, closing the door as fast and gently as possible. 

He’s asleep.

Zain lay sprawled out on his back in the middle of the bed, occupying most of it. His head rested on the mattress, several feet below the pillow, while his arms and legs dangled off the bed, with his toes touching the floor.

Leila climbed onto the bed and pushed him to the right, claiming the left half for herself. She lay on her right side, a position she hadn’t used, as lying on her back was more comfortable for her past and current body. To prevent her breasts from sagging, she supported them with her arms and persevered. She reiterated that this was preferable to sleeping with Zain, even though she gained more comfort from the other.

In a somewhat comfortable position, she closed her eyes. Zain shuffled awake, crawled beside her, and laid down, not saying a word. As Leila's worries about him faded, she drifted into sleep, dreaming of hope and freedom, free from Zain's nightmares.

24